「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 4, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #172,921 of 177,742
  Block B?

*snip*

What about Girls Generation?

*snip* 

As far as I'm aware, Block B is very popular within South Korea but internationally they aren't as popular (which is strange given ZICO and Park Kyung's popularity).

I feel like for people who have ever heard of K-Pop and some groups would likely list Girls' Generation, BTS, Big Bang, and EXO.

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #172,922 of 177,742
You guys are gonna kill my budget some day when I can actually afford any of these high priced whiskies T_T 

I still have a shot of Hibiki 17 I got in HK from a friend, I'm saving it for when I graduate or something because I can't afford anything that expensive right now. :frowning2:

The Hibiki 12 is a special case in that it's now severely overpriced due to the Japanese whiskey boom. I can no longer find any under $200, and that's way to much to be paying for a 17 year tbh, different if you were in Japan itself tho, then it'd be best to grab a few bottles for an occasion.

Everything else on deadly's list is around £50-80, which is pretty nicely priced for a casual drink so it's not too expensive.

As for if you're looking for a great whiskey to have regularly without breaking your wallet, try Wild Turkey 101 Rye or Bourbon. You should be able to get the for around $25-30, and they are good value for the price

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #172,923 of 177,742
As far as I'm aware, Block B is very popular within South Korea but internationally they aren't as popular (which is strange given ZICO and Park Kyung's popularity).

I feel like for people who have ever heard of K-Pop and some groups would likely list Girls' Generation, BTS, Big Bang, and EXO.

Twice, maybe 4Minutes, and 2NE1.

That's about the extent of my kpop group knowledge

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #172,925 of 177,742
Eh that's probably a bit more old school then.

I guess people who just recently have heard of K-Pop would have exposure those groups above (and PSY as well which I neglected to add).

I was actually surprised when I heard that 2NE1 disbanded. They were different from the rest, so I'd assume they had enough to survive in the long term.

Apparently not

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #172,926 of 177,742

Eh that's probably a bit more old school then.

I guess people who just recently have heard of K-Pop would have exposure those groups above (and PSY as well which I neglected to add).

I was actually surprised when I heard that 2NE1 disbanded. They were different from the rest, so I'd assume they had enough to survive in the long term.

Apparently not

I remember back in the day I thought this was a legit English version by CL (or was it Park Bom? (or both?)) or something:

2NE1 really was something else.

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #172,927 of 177,742
After 3 months since signing up, my NBN over HFC service is finally activated.

There was a configuration error at the ISP and they had to remote-in to the NTD (the NBN box) to fix it, feels good to finally get help from an expert after hours on the help desk, making me factory reset again and again and again.

I lost 20Mb/s download but I gained 36Mb/s upload (was 114/2 before), hooray for backups!

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #172,928 of 177,742
Not really a big fan of K-Pop. These are probably the only songs I know of, and I encountered then by pure chance. :p

Absolutely zero preference for any of them except for the last one.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OtSS4xcdXpI[/video]

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/video]

]video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ [/video]

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #172,929 of 177,742

You guys are gonna kill my budget some day when I can actually afford any of these high priced whiskies T_T 

I still have a shot of Hibiki 17 I got in HK from a friend, I'm saving it for when I graduate or something because I can't afford anything that expensive right now.
frown.gif

The Hibiki 12 is a special case in that it's now severely overpriced due to the Japanese whiskey boom. I can no longer find any under $200, and that's way to much to be paying for a 17 year tbh, different if you were in Japan itself tho, then it'd be best to grab a few bottles for an occasion.

Everything else on deadly's list is around £50-80, which is pretty nicely priced for a casual drink so it's not too expensive.

As for if you're looking for a great whiskey to have regularly without breaking your wallet, try Wild Turkey 101 Rye or Bourbon. You should be able to get the for around $25-30, and they are good value for the price

Don't you mean Hibiki 17, not 12? I thought they discontinued the 12 because of demand or something like that? Looks like Hibikek 17 can be had here for about $175 around my part of the woods. In the state down that fixes liquor prices but doesn't add tax, it's sub-$150! Maybe that can be a graduation gift or something :D

And that's not bad, if I had an extra two week's worth of food budget to throw around lmao, but until I get a job lined up I am being quite frugal with my money for the most part (save for the Chromecast and Philips Hue I just bought this week.....) 

Yeah, I can't wait to go back to Japan and just load up on all the liquor I can since they apparently don't give a carp about any imports other than me supposedly needing to pay tax on more than 1L, but I didn't get that checked soooo who cares! :D 

Oh yeah, I'll have to try that out!
Tbh right now though, I have so many half open bottles that I need to finish up first that I'll save that one for another day. 
I still haven't opened up my Japanese whisky I got for fear of liking it too much and being stuck paying way too much for another bottle of it :S So my go-to whisky has been Crown Royal if you've ever heard of that. I also recently got Kraken which is a spiced rum that's bloody good too. Plus some sake and a bunch of bottom-shelf stuff that I keep around in case I need some cheap party alcohol lol

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #172,931 of 177,742
  Don't you mean Hibiki 17, not 12? I thought they discontinued the 12 because of demand or something like that? Looks like Hibikek 17 can be had here for about $175 around my part of the woods. In the state down that fixes liquor prices but doesn't add tax, it's sub-$150! Maybe that can be a graduation gift or something :D

And that's not bad, if I had an extra two week's worth of food budget to throw around lmao, but until I get a job lined up I am being quite frugal with my money for the most part (save for the Chromecast and Philips Hue I just bought this week.....) 

Yeah, I can't wait to go back to Japan and just load up on all the liquor I can since they apparently don't give a carp about any imports other than me supposedly needing to pay tax on more than 1L, but I didn't get that checked soooo who cares! :D 

Tbh right now though, I have so many half open bottles that I need to finish up first that I'll save that one for another day. 
I still haven't opened up my Japanese whisky I got for fear of liking it too much and being stuck paying way too much for another bottle of it :S So my go-to whisky has been Crown Royal if you've ever heard of that. I also recently got Kraken which is a spiced rum that's bloody good too. Plus some sake and a bunch of bottom-shelf stuff that I keep around in case I need some cheap party alcohol lol

Yeah, I meant the 17. But basically all the popular ones, Hibiki 12, Hakushu 12, and especially Yamazaki 12 are just so overpriced now that it's ridiculous, no way am I paying over $120+ for a bottle of the Yamazaki 12. For under $150 tho, that's a pretty good bargain on the 17!

I tend to keep open bottles to a maximum of 3 or less since it's just me drinking usually. I try to get a dram semi-often, but it's kinda hard to get through three 70cl bottles in a timely manner before they all go flat and you basically waste good whiskey. 
redface.gif
 I have heard of the Crown Royal line, but as of now, have never seen it on shelves or online over here.

I know what you mean. I still have a bottle of Taketsuru 17 I'm keeping for whatever reason, and I still pine for a nice bottle of Yamazaki 18 I can savor occasionally, but the asian in me is not willing to overpay, thus my search for cheaper alternatives!
biggrin.gif
  If not for whiskey, I've recently been enjoying G&T these days, Hendrick's topped up with schweppes tonic water is pretty good on the rocks, it's also less intense on the senses, so much more soothing when I'm trying to relax.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #172,933 of 177,742

Yeah, I meant the 17. But basically all the popular ones, Hibiki 12, Hakushu 12, and especially Yamazaki 12 are just so overpriced now that it's ridiculous, no way am I paying over $120+ for a bottle of the Yamazaki 12. For under $150 tho, that's a pretty good bargain on the 17!

I tend to keep open bottles to a maximum of 3 or less since it's just me drinking usually. I try to get a dram semi-often, but it's kinda hard to get through three 70cl bottles in a timely manner before they all go flat and you basically waste good whiskey. 
redface.gif
 I have heard of the Crown Royal line, but as of now, have never seen it on shelves or online over here.

I know what you mean. I still have a bottle of Taketsuru 17 I'm keeping for whatever reason, and I still pine for a nice bottle of Yamazaki 18 I can savor occasionally, but the asian in me is not willing to overpay, thus my search for cheaper alternatives!
biggrin.gif
  If not for whiskey, I've recently been enjoying G&T these days, Hendrick's topped up with schweppes tonic water is pretty good on the rocks, it's also less intense on the senses, so much more soothing when I'm trying to relax.

Man, and it's really sad too because I got some Yamazaki NAS in a 180ml bottle and it's really good so I want a full bottle of it, but yeah even that one is $130-ish here. :/ But on the plus side, Hibiki 12 is under $100 actually! Still can't afford it though. 

Usually just me drinking as well, but sometimes I'll buy 1.5-1.75L since it's a lot cheaper and that could take me forever to go through so I'll go open more bottles! XD How long does whiskey last after you open it though? I never knew there was a shelf life per se. 

And Crown Royal probably isn't even that great compared to all the top shelf stuff you're talking about, but for what I paid for it (about 20 Freedom Bucks when I was in Canuckistan at the duty free store for 1L), it's pretty good. 

I have a bottle of regular Taketsuru because this is what places around here are charging for it when it only cost me like, 2500-3000 yen in Japan? 
(this is without the 20% liquor tax + litre tax

T_T

Hibiki 21 masterrace. That is all. XD

The 21 is actually not that bad at around $350, still pricey, but not as disproportionately so as the 12 or 17

Boom. $250 + 20% tax for you Micey :3 
http://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/hibiki-21-yr/p/145162750?s=1407

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #172,935 of 177,742
  https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/

Good.

GNOME for the win. 9/10.
If only they can run video games better, 10/10. Canonical need to invest more on the integration for Nvidia and Steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back