「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 30, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #172,846 of 177,735
  And it wasn't hidden, there's a really generic sign saying "traffic laws photo enforced" or something so I thought it was a red light camera, not speeding cam :/ But yeah they really should be banned outright all around, they're stupid and ridiculous. 

Am I doing it right?

Anyways the issue with these cameras are bad enough that Chinese GPSs include warnings and maps for where these surveillance cameras are located.

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #172,848 of 177,735

I like that one.

\ ( > ~<)/

o(^w^)b

what I think of as anime OST classics. I was a huge fan of FictionJunction(and side projects with other girls). this, madlax, noir... fairly easy to recognize the style. even to this day I'm pretty sure some songs are on all my DAPs.
my other big love of those times from anime OSTs was Ali Project, but at some point it's hard to watch animes and never get to listen to her. ^_^

Mar 30, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #172,849 of 177,735
  Speaking of which, my 2 year old iphone is suddenly losing it's charge fast...50% battery is gone in a heartbeat. Just started happening this week. Perhaps I'm just delusional...

I need more time for  LL SIF!!! QAQ

Install an app called "Battery Life" and see how the health is doing. I'm fairly sure since iOS 10 it can't read the no. of charge cycles but you can still do that with Coconut Battery, which is available on Mac.

Lol, at the very least could we at least get a link to your post? 

Here's a battery question, is it better to leave your phone slow/trickle charging overnight or fast charging in the morning? 

Battery tech is good enough nowadays that it won't make a noticeable difference either way IMO. When your battery's full it'll trickle charge anyway, and leaving it on the charger overnight is pretty normal. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #172,852 of 177,735

Here's a battery question, is it better to leave your phone slow/trickle charging overnight or fast charging in the morning? 

NOPE TOO EMBARRASSING.

Battery tech is good enough nowadays that it won't make a noticeable difference either way IMO. When your battery's full it'll trickle charge anyway, and leaving it on the charger overnight is pretty normal. 

Hmmm yeah I agree, it depends how "fast" is fast charging as there are a few variants now. It's technically better to just charge overnight and the primary source of wear is cycling for phone batteries. (unlike say laptop batteries where they are plugged in 90% of the time)

For intelligent li-ion battery charging systems, they won't trickle charge overnight, it will stop charging at 100%. The phone won't actually start charging until 95% or sometimes even 90% and this is imperceptible to the user, for all they know the phone still appears to be 100%.

You'll sometimes notice this behaviour on the standby drain, when I go to sleep at 100% battery it still says 100% when I wake up (we know that's impossible), but say when my battery is at 50% before I go to bed, it'll drain to 45% or so when I wake up. A similar thing happens when you unplug your charger at 97% charging, and re-plug it in and it'll appear to shoot to 100% instead of actually topping up to 100% for the sake of battery health.

The reason for this is because they don't want users to keep on topping up their battery to 100% if they only used 5%, being at a high state of charge is quite detrimental for battery health. I need to stop here before I get too much into it.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #172,853 of 177,735

And it wasn't hidden, there's a really generic sign saying "traffic laws photo enforced" or something so I thought it was a red light camera, not speeding cam :/ But yeah they really should be banned outright all around, they're stupid and ridiculous. 

Am I doing it right?

Anyways the issue with these cameras are bad enough that Chinese GPSs include warnings and maps for where these surveillance cameras are located.

Yes, someone needs to blow up that dayum pole.

Actually, Waze has that here in the states as well but I never use Waze because their UI and pretty much everything is inferior to Google Maps IMO. 

Fair enough, that's what I figured but it's always interesting hearing people bicker about it :p

NOPE TOO EMBARRASSING.

Hmmm yeah I agree, it depends how "fast" is fast charging as there are a few variants now. It's technically better to just charge overnight and the primary source of wear is cycling for phone batteries. (unlike say laptop batteries where they are plugged in 90% of the time)

For intelligent li-ion battery charging systems, they won't trickle charge overnight, it will stop charging at 100%. The phone won't actually start charging until 95% or sometimes even 90% and this is imperceptible to the user, for all they know the phone still appears to be 100%.

You'll sometimes notice this behaviour on the standby drain, when I go to sleep at 100% battery it still says 100% when I wake up (we know that's impossible), but say when my battery is at 50% before I go to bed, it'll drain to 45% or so when I wake up. A similar thing happens when you unplug your charger at 97% charging, and re-plug it in and it'll appear to shoot to 100% instead of actually topping up to 100% for the sake of battery health.

The reason for this is because they don't want users to keep on topping up their battery to 100% if they only used 5%, being at a high state of charge is quite detrimental for battery health. I need to stop here before I get too much into it.

Awww :frowning2: 

Well in my case my 6p fast charges at 3A, and slow charge is probably... 1-2A I guess? The phone gets pretty hot when fast charging, or heck all the time really. :/ Thanks SD810...

And got it, I won't feel so bad for leaving it plugged in overnight now then :D

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #172,854 of 177,735
Just started watching Psycho Pass. This show is awesome! Great OST as well.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #172,855 of 177,735

Oppo and OnePlus' implemention's got fast charging down. The power conversion is done at the wall wart as opposed to inside the phone, keeping heat away from the battery.

It's good to cycle a laptop battery that's always plugged in at least once a month, to keep the cells happy.

You have an iPhone, right? I've found their 100% can last anywhere between 5-7% of <99% battery percentage equivalent.

Much of this kind of battery behavior is due to lithium-ion batteries being a chemical energy storage device. There is no set point for 0% or 100% for any given battery, or anywhere in between for that matter. They're calculated estimates. As a battery ages these estimates become less accurate.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #172,856 of 177,735
  Much of this kind of battery behavior is due to lithium-ion batteries being a chemical energy storage device. There is no set point for 0% or 100% for any given battery, or anywhere in between for that matter. They're calculated estimates. As a battery ages these estimates become less accurate.

We do define the usable range of a battery though, at 0% and 100%. This could be once the battery voltage reaches 3.20V for 'empty' and 4.35V @ C/10 termination for 'full'. There is still energy below and above those points, but tapping into it becomes a compromise between capacity and lifespan.

The power management systems continuously determine wear levels for the purposes of calculating the current state of charge, and it's done through a coulomb counter (basically measuring power drain and input into battery). The actual coulomb counters can be accurate within a percent, however...

In practical use, some sources of error include:

1. Inaccurate wear level readings due to incorrect or outdated data (not everyone does a full 0-100% cycle that often)
2. Battery capacity changes slightly depending on the load
3. An ageing battery starts to have difficulty maintaining voltage under load, especially at lower states of charge

The last one in particular becomes important because how do we tell if a battery is empty? From the voltage set point we have assigned to it. We've all encountered old phones shutting down at 20% while playing games only to have it come back to life at 19% upon reboot...until we open a game again. This also makes it more complicated for the phone to derive the wear levels.

Apple did a software update and extended warranty update program for one of their phones, the 6S maybe? The software update added some hysteresis and/or modified the levels so it didn't trigger the 'empty' threshold as easily, and I think a batch of their faulty batteries also had trouble maintaining voltage down low.

The second season never existed okay?

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #172,857 of 177,735

*something about Psycho-Pass being my favorite anime*

Whatever your friends or the internet tell you...Psycho-Pass does not have a second season! Fake news! Sad!

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #172,859 of 177,735
  http://www.goodsmile.info/ lololol

XD

It seems the laptop 1050 is quite a bit slower than the desktop 1050.

I've overclocked the 1050 in my XPS 15 to reach a stable boost clock of 1911 mHz when benchmarking. I often see people reach in the 1500~ mHz range when overclocking the desktop counterpart.

However, no matter how hard I try, I can only barely reach an average of 30 fps when overclocked in Unigine Valley on the Extreme HD preset. Quite a few users can hit 40 fps when using their desktop 1050.

I wonder if this is due to the laptop 1050 only having half the ROPs as their desktop counterparts, or if it's something else?

Also, I miss AMD drivers and their all-in-one package for GPU settings...the Nvidia Control Panel for mobile devices is just...terrible...

And I also want my triple frame buffering... ;-;

And...and...and... (officially becomes an AMD fanboy
frown.gif
).

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #172,860 of 177,735
You must be smoking something if you're expecting identical performance. The laptop 1050's and up (basically till 1080) are identical in every (except ROP apparently on the 1050) way to their desktop chips except 1. the laptop variants are binned to pretty extreme power measures to make them suitable and 2. downclocked for certain laptops to keep their thermal output down and their power draw as well.

You're never going to get identical performance because the thermal mass you have in a laptop is so stupidly small compared to the ones on the desktop coolers you're going to hit the thermal ceiling much much sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back