「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 14, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #172,697 of 177,742
  So...it seems to have been about 4 years since I've last been here...

One post in the last 24 hours, and this is it? 
blink.gif

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #172,702 of 177,742
  This, I've used one before but connectivity was still pretty bad.

Switched to network over mains after that with a second AP in my room but the bandwidth is capped at around 3 MB/s.

I ended up routing a one of those ultra-flat Cat.6 cables into my room directly going through the gap under my door.

That and a good mesh kit will handle AP transition really well so you don't have to worry about reconnecting to the extender/repeater or the main router whenever you move around the house.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #172,704 of 177,742
Alright with that budget good luck.

For Plume it's $69 for a single pod, $179 for a 3 pack, $329 for a 6 pack.

Depending on the size of your dwelling you can probably do the 3 pack. 1 pack is fine if it's just like 1-2 rooms or something.

The thing with the Plume (if you read the Ars roundup I posted) is that the single mesh AP is weaker than competitors but it relies on being inexpensive and having a ton of them scattered around. At the very least for say a decently large apartment you should get 1-2, for a single floor house, 1-2 (since those are usually small), for your average middle-sized 2 floor house (not including basement btw) I'd say 2-4, add on like 1 or 2 more if you want basement coverage too.

And it's not really advantageous if you're only using 1. One of the pods requires an ethernet connection (I think just one, I don't remember).

Mesh networks are best for if you want a router that just does routing and a mesh network to act as the antenna net.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #172,705 of 177,742
... Meanwhile in my apartment my single Asus TM-AC1900 continues to serve me just fine. Heck, I can even get a usable wifi signal from the parking lot 150-ish feet away, lol.

I gave my mom my old RT-AC66U to replace her Linksys E2000 or whatever old router I used to have. It actually gave full coverage around the house from the very corner of the house, so you may just wanna consider a more powerful router if your budget is limited, especially if you can get a highly directional antenna you could point at your room or something.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #172,706 of 177,742
  ... Meanwhile in my apartment my single Asus TM-AC1900 continues to serve me just fine. Heck, I can even get a usable wifi signal from the parking lot 150-ish feet away, lol.

I gave my mom my old RT-AC66U to replace her Linksys E2000 or whatever old router I used to have. It actually gave full coverage around the house from the very corner of the house, so you may just wanna consider a more powerful router if your budget is limited, especially if you can get a highly directional antenna you could point at your room or something.

^

My RT-AC56U covers my entire house and halfway down the entire neighborhood street.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #172,707 of 177,742
Well, none of those are on the Dell website for under 74 CAD. The landlord will move over and extender so I guess I will no longer need to deal with that. Even without it, all I need is walk a few steps. Just want to get this coupon out of the way.

I guess the only thing left on the Dell website is a microphone. Currently they only have Blue microphones. Anyone have any personal experiences with the Blue Snowball, Blue Snowball Ice or the Blue Snowflake? Those are the only ones within my coupon's limits. The Snowflake is very portable and is great for my limited desk space, but on the Dell website, it is a bit more expensive than the Snowball with more features. The Snowball is still transportable. It's just big for my desk.

Mainly just curious of downsides based on anyone's potential long term experience. Plenty of reviews out there, but they mainly talk about the same things. Just hoping I won't miss anything as I have no experience with microphones.

:3

Ahhh! Ahhh!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #172,708 of 177,742
I have the Blue Snowball and it works just fine, the only issue I've had with it is that there's a switch for 3 different settings (pickup pattern and attenuation), i have to use it in the attenuation mode because there's a lot of static or buzzing on the normal mode.

No need to worry about drivers or anything, it works right out of the box. Sometimes Windows switches the sound output to the Snowball but once you disable it it doesn't happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back