「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 25, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #169,338 of 177,742
Lol the feel of ep 1 (all I've seen). Come on, not even a lil bit? Older guy, younger girl, new/return to small town, girl is a bit off, stays home. Just a hint of the feel.

Yea I thought the ep1 was very impressive poi too, and the soundtracks gave it life.

Actually I kinda liked the series, but maybe its really about the soundtracks...

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #169,339 of 177,742

mix2_chtarea-pc3leo.jpg

Dayum, that's one sleek looking phone. I hear it also has a full ceramic body! That will hold up better against scratches than Apple's Jet Black finish. I wonder how good the palm rejection is. The S7 edge has terrible palm rejection; it's too easy to accidentally touch the keys on the keyboard closest to the side bezels, and some scroll bars also suffer. Maybe this will be better.

Oct 25, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #169,340 of 177,742
  Dayum, that's one sleek looking phone. I hear it also has a full ceramic body! That will hold up better against scratches than Apple's Jet Black finish. I wonder how good the palm rejection is. The S7 edge has terrible palm rejection; it's too easy to accidentally touch the keys on the keyboard closest to the side bezels, and some scroll bars also suffer. Maybe this will be better.

I don't think we can ever expect bezel-less or bezel-light phones to ever be great to use. There is simply no effective way to get rid of unwanted inputs.

For palm rejection it might be easier because the actuated surface area is relatively large compared to a finger, but for the fingertips that are curled around the phone there's no way in preventing those from creating inputs.

Some people might argue "Alright, AI can fix this." and it won't be able to neither would it be welcome. Using an AI to essentially predict the future in predicting what you meant to be an input and what you didn't mean to be an input is impossible. AI that gets close to this is highly inflexible AI and requires a lot of inputs to solidify the pattern it uses. Changing your behavior all of a sudden doesn't bode well with that and with the millions of different scenarios that the AI has to deal with for even one person requires unreasonable amounts of memory and or storage and computing power.

AI that essentially predicts the future in a sense defines the users behavior. This is where AI stops becoming a tool for humans to use but rather humans become the tool for AI to use. Once AI starts dictating our behavior, AI has failed. This leads to humans becoming inflexible due to not only staying with one behavioral pattern but being forced into one, then we get to the arguments of natural selection in that those who cannot adapt are the ones who are doomed to fail (or just those who are in the wrong place at the wrong time).

I do like the use of ceramic everywhere though, but I wish it were a single piece. The frame is still separate from the back.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #169,341 of 177,742

You have an amazing Homura avatar!

I really want all the Madoka Magica box sets, but they'd probably be over $1,000 now...

tumblr_mtjj4iVQBo1sosnz6o4_r2_250.gif

Thx man !!!

Although I forgot the link to the avatar, thanks to the guys who invented google image trace-back.
Get all the stuff you want from here XD
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=19477514

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #169,343 of 177,742
Originally Posted by HybridCore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think we can ever expect bezel-less or bezel-light phones to ever be great to use. There is simply no effective way to get rid of unwanted inputs.

For palm rejection it might be easier because the actuated surface area is relatively large compared to a finger, but for the fingertips that are curled around the phone there's no way in preventing those from creating inputs.

Some people might argue "Alright, AI can fix this." and it won't be able to neither would it be welcome. Using an AI to essentially predict the future in predicting what you meant to be an input and what you didn't mean to be an input is impossible. AI that gets close to this is highly inflexible AI and requires a lot of inputs to solidify the pattern it uses. Changing your behavior all of a sudden doesn't bode well with that and with the millions of different scenarios that the AI has to deal with for even one person requires unreasonable amounts of memory and or storage and computing power.

AI that essentially predicts the future in a sense defines the users behavior. This is where AI stops becoming a tool for humans to use but rather humans become the tool for AI to use. Once AI starts dictating our behavior, AI has failed. This leads to humans becoming inflexible due to not only staying with one behavioral pattern but being forced into one, then we get to the arguments of natural selection in that those who cannot adapt are the ones who are doomed to fail (or just those who are in the wrong place at the wrong time).

I do like the use of ceramic everywhere though, but I wish it were a single piece. The frame is still separate from the back.

There can be extra touch sensors (or grip sensors, as per this (one of many unused) Apple patent) that extend past the display area where fingers would usually wrap around, so at least some stray inputs can be disregarded. And the UI can be adapted to have "software bezels" so touches outside of a certain area can be ignored (outside a "normal bezel distance", perhaps). Android doesn't prominently use any edge gestures (edit: that I recall, besides that draggable scroll bar and those menus that drag in from the left edge) by default anyway. The keyboard can be centered at 95% width so letters like Q and P won't get easily mis-tapped. That was a common occurence on the S7 edge.

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #169,344 of 177,742
  There can be extra touch sensors (or grip sensors, as per this (one of many unused) Apple patent) that extend past the display area where fingers would usually wrap around, so at least some stray inputs can be disregarded. And the UI can be adapted to have "software bezels" so touches outside of a certain area can be ignored (outside a "normal bezel distance", perhaps). Android doesn't prominently use any edge gestures (edit: that I recall, besides that draggable scroll bar and those menus that drag in from the left edge) by default anyway. The keyboard can be centered at 95% width so letters like Q and P won't get easily mis-tapped. That was a common occurence on the S7 edge.

guess practically it will be okay but then the tendency to drop the phone and break it is still high

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #169,345 of 177,742

I'm surprised Apple has that patent.

Nokia's McLaren concept used something like that but not for the purpose of input rejection but for extended input.

Skip to 4:10. I actually think that approach is probably a bit more space efficient than the unused Apple patent simply because of the fact that you probably lose little to no z-height from these hypersensitive capacitive sensors in comparison to adding an extra array of sensors on the side (probably a reason Apple didn't use this patent). I think it starts to kind of reduce UX/UI consistency being adaptive, not insane amounts but it could bother some.

Since that article was fairly recent I assume it's targeted specifically at the iPhone Plus editions. I think only a handful with very small hands have issues reaching the edges of the regular iPhone. iPhone Plus, sure.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #169,346 of 177,742
Whelp. Microsoft didn't even hint at a surface phone at their big event today. Guess I'm going android now. It's too bad, winMo has been a joy to use from a UI standpoint. That lack of apps..... not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back