「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 11, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #168,961 of 177,742
Michiyuki Kawashima has left us, knew he was going but so soon? Thanks for all the music dude, big fan
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #168,963 of 177,742
  Honestly there's no reason if you're content with the sound of the HD800s.

The marginal utility of more expensive headphones drops off really quickly due to the fact that the added money for "better" sound isn't a linear curve but starts to flatten out instead so for the majority of people there's no reason to ever go past mid-range headphones. They just simply will never notice the difference unless critical listening is their hobby or part of their job.

That and there's no common metric of good, much like how someone could like the K712 and hate something much more expensive like the HD800s.

Sound signature wise technically there is a metric of good but it's a very general metric (Harmon Kardon target response curve and a bunch of other tangible measurements) since there are people who actually prefer a v-shaped sound signature or something else over a natural sounding one.

Is that a dig at the K712? FITE ME IRL bro!!!

Michiyuki Kawashima has left us, knew he was going but so soon? Thanks for all the music dude, big fan
frown.gif

Yeah real sad. I always liked the OP to Xamd.

Bounen no Xamdou OP 1080p from chatojhair on Vimeo.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #168,964 of 177,742
  Yeah real sad. I always liked the OP to Xamd.

Bounen no Xamdou OP 1080p from chatojhair on Vimeo.

They have really good stuff beyond anime OPs (Ninja Slayer, Kiznaiver).

Their 1st album Out Loud is so good. Their other albums beyond that are quite a departure towards more pop like sound, it's also curious that most if not all of their vocal songs are sang in English.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #168,966 of 177,742
Soooo... See you in about a year?

That list needs some more Satoshi Kon paprika.

Ha. Nah, that's just a list of candidates to watch in the near future. I would only pick a few, but can't decide. Will probably watch Planetarium first.

Okay, I added all those to my list...but they don't intrigue me enough to watch anytime soon. (Except for Paranoia Agent, which I already listed.)

I really want to watch the Monogatari series, but it's approaching 100 episodes, so that would take more time.

What are you planning to watch this season?

My reason for going through my plan to watch list yesterday and making that "short" list was actually because there are so few currently airing shows that caught my attention. (I'm sure some are great, but if so, it was not immediately apparent to me from images and descriptions.) The only airing shows I'm watching are Chi's Sweet Home (the new 3D CG one), Dragon Ball Super, and Occultic;Nine. A day or two ago I did make another list of upcoming anime I look forward to.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #168,968 of 177,742
  Honestly there's no reason if you're content with the sound of the HD800s.

The marginal utility of more expensive headphones drops off really quickly due to the fact that the added money for "better" sound isn't a linear curve but starts to flatten out instead so for the majority of people there's no reason to ever go past mid-range headphones. They just simply will never notice the difference unless critical listening is their hobby or part of their job.

That and there's no common metric of good, much like how someone could like the K712 and hate something much more expensive like the HD800s.

Sound signature wise technically there is a metric of good but it's a very general metric (Harmon Kardon target response curve and a bunch of other tangible measurements) since there are people who actually prefer a v-shaped sound signature or something else over a natural sounding one.

I love my HD800 so much that I wanna buy another HD800 and HD800S for teh luls. tbh.
No kidding but I'm trying to sort things out with my amp first.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #168,969 of 177,742
  I love my HD800 so much that I wanna buy another HD800 and HD800S for teh luls. tbh.
No kidding but I'm trying to sort things out with my amp first.

Which amps are you looking at?

I compared the HD 800 on the 430HAD and HDVD 800 and didn't hear a difference despite the large price gap. I usually favor EQ over fancy amps anyway, since that gives you so much more control over the sound, and doesn't cost anything either.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #168,970 of 177,742
  What are you planning to watch this season?

1. Yuri on Ice*
  2. Flip Flappers*
  3. Girlish Number*
  4. Izetta
  5. Fune wo Amu
  6. Drifters
  7. Occultic;Nine
  8. Euphonium S2*

*great stuff, should be checked out.
Three times as many shows as I normally follow...

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #168,971 of 177,742

Which amps are you looking at?

Something cheaper and tubes like Eddie Current Super 7 or DNA Sonett 2. If possible.

I compared the HD 800 on the 430HAD and HDVD 800 and didn't hear a difference despite the large price gap. I usually favor EQ over fancy amps anyway, since that gives you so much more control over the sound, and doesn't cost anything either.

Probably because you never got yourself used to HD800 sound itself for a long time. Sure, you can EQ but you still want $9000 amp anyway.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #168,972 of 177,742
You guys know that feel when you've effed up so bad that it feels like it's gonna be the end of the world and there's nothing more to live for?

I just corrupted my entire RAID because of some stupid impulsive action and I don't have a backup.

wanna craw inside a hole right now :/

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #168,973 of 177,742
  You guys know that feel when you've effed up so bad that it feels like it's gonna be the end of the world and there's nothing more to live for?

I just corrupted my entire RAID because of some stupid impulsive action and I don't have a backup.

Think I did. I once corrupted an entire 2TB of HDD filled with my friends' backup data...
Knowing you it must be like some more TBs of RAID.
Godammit that sucks. So. Much. Much. Much.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #168,974 of 177,742
Probably because you never got yourself used to HD800 sound itself for a long time. Sure, you can EQ but you still want $9000 amp anyway.

What objective benefits would such an expensive amp provide over an affordable one?

(This is a serious question that I am genuinely curious about, because plenty of affordable amps have more than enough power than it could ever use, a neutral frequency response, inaudibly low distortion, etc.)

That seriously sucks. I have a similar (albeit less extreme) situation, and no idea what to do about it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/820106/external-hard-drive-array-is-a-hundred-times-slower-now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back