「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Sep 10, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #128,911 of 177,742
^ Simple math you can do in your head.

I'll check out the metal post. I don't think it can beat Metal Man though

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am not a math person.

I hope that was a joke about the title. I generally like video game music and didn't like that song. But wow, it brings back memories of the NES!

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #128,912 of 177,742
C to F
(temperature + 40) / 5 * 9 - 40

F to C
(temperature + 40) * 5 / 9 - 40

^ Simple math you can do in your head.

19 C + 40 = 59
59 / 5 = ~12
12 * 9 = 108
108 - 40 = ~68 F

Do it the scientific way! In Kelvins!
K to F
Temp F = Temp in K*(9/5) - 459.67
Now I dare you to do it in your head.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #128,913 of 177,742
Trying to find some really bassy headphones for fun purposes. Any recommendations out there? I just want something that is no more than $120 and isn't totally awful in the mids and highs but really brings the power in the bass. It has to definitely be more bassy than the M50s. People keep recommending the M50x but its pretty much just a slightly more warm version of the old model. I want something with a big low end :)

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #128,914 of 177,742

The funny thing is, I had a physics professor who made a convincing scientific argument about why the world should use the system the United States uses (inches, feet, miles, pounds, degrees Fahrenheit, etc.), and furthermore, why it is the only one that makes sense...but I can't remember anything of what he said. XD

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #128,916 of 177,742
Trying to find some really bassy headphones for fun purposes. Any recommendations out there? I just want something that is no more than $120 and isn't totally awful in the mids and highs but really brings the power in the bass. It has to definitely be more bassy than the M50s. People keep recommending the M50x but its pretty much just a slightly more warm version of the old model. I want something with a big low end
smily_headphones1.gif

The best one I know of for that is the JVC HA-SZ2000, but it's $250-300. (No idea what is good in your target price range.)

By the way, if you didn't see in my reply before, I think my iPod classic actually gets better battery life with Rockbox!

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #128,917 of 177,742
Trying to find some really bassy headphones for fun purposes. Any recommendations out there? I just want something that is no more than $120 and isn't totally awful in the mids and highs but really brings the power in the bass. It has to definitely be more bassy than the M50s. People keep recommending the M50x but its pretty much just a slightly more warm version of the old model. I want something with a big low end :)

There is always the Pro500MK2 and if you can find it at a good deal, the Pro700MK2 for the cannonballs of bass

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #128,919 of 177,742

The funny thing is, I had a physics professor who made a convincing scientific argument about why the world should use the system the United States uses (inches, feet, miles, pounds, degrees Fahrenheit, etc.), and furthermore, why it is the only one that makes sense...but I can't remember anything of what he said. XD

I assume he was a Sarcasm Professor.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #128,920 of 177,742
  I assume he was a Sarcasm Professor.

He was the coolest teacher I ever had. An elderly millionaire who used to own one or more night clubs and taught high school physics for the sheer enjoyment of it. (I got over 100% in his class due to extra credit, but fared poorly in college physics.) Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, he did make a convincing argument about what I mentioned, though.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #128,921 of 177,742

I know for a fact that the metric units have concrete definitions for each units imposed by the International Committee for Weights and Measures or CIPM (Comité International de Poids et de Mesures) such as:

Length
SI Unit: metre (m)
Official definition: The distance travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299792458th of a second

Mass
SI Unit: kilogram (kg)
Official definition: The mass of the international prototype kilogram which is a cylinder of a diameter and height of about 39mm made of 90% platinium and 10% iridium.

Temperature
SI Unit: Kelvin (K)
Official definition: 1/273.16 of the thermodynamic temperature of the triple point of water

Now do Imperial units have concrete definitions to explain mass, length or temperature?

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #128,922 of 177,742
  I know for a fact that the metric units have concrete definitions for each units imposed by the International Committee for Weights and Measures or CIPM (Comité International de Poids et de Mesures) such as:

Length
SI Unit: metre (m)
Official definition: The distance travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299792458th of a second

Mass
SI Unit: kilogram (kg)
Official definition: The mass of the international prototype kilogram which is a cylinder of a diameter and height of about 39mm made of 90% platinium and 10% iridium.

Temperature
SI Unit: Kelvin (K)
Official definition: 1/273.16 of the thermodynamic temperature of the triple point of water

Now do Imperial units have concrete definitions to explain mass, length or temperature?

No idea. It doesn't interest me, so it's not something I've researched. I would imagine they are defined in relation to their metric counterparts, for example, how a foot is defined as 0.3048 meters. I'm sure the metric system is better...but Americans would have quite a bit of trouble adjusting to it.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #128,923 of 177,742
Bought some savoy chips today. Worst purchase I made in a while. 4 Euro for 35g and the **** tastes like garbage-tier cabbage rolls.
Savoy Chips. Not even once.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #128,924 of 177,742

The best one I know of for that is the JVC HA-SZ2000, but it's $250-300. (No idea what is good in your target price range.)

By the way, if you didn't see in my reply before, I think my iPod classic actually gets better battery life with Rockbox!

Yeah, I wish I could get one of the JVC cans but the expense is...ugh. Can't seem to get a solid answer in my price range from head-fi recommendation threads at the moment.

And wow, you think it gets better battery life? Maybe it was the older versions but man did it used to drain the hell out of my battery.

Sep 10, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #128,925 of 177,742
  Yeah, I wish I could get one of the JVC cans but the expense is...ugh. Can't seem to get a solid answer in my price range from head-fi recommendation threads at the moment.

And wow, you think it gets better battery life? Maybe it was the older versions but man did it used to drain the hell out of my battery.

Check out this thread.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure...because I haven't charged the battery in days!

Once I get my desktop system, I won't be using the portable one much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back