「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
May 25, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #176,941 of 177,742
Woohoo cheapo Taotronics Bluetooth headphones arrived and they are somehow wayyyy worse than I thought! :D

Mostly just a very, very, very loud static noise in the background at all times.

It does solve all my problems though and is fine to work out in, so I don't mind keeping them if they can't be returned. However, will be actively looking to return them if possible.

They took 3 weeks to ship but thankfully Taotronics offer free returns within 60 days. Really hate returning products I have opened and used, but these are actually really annoying to put in my ears, so I can't see myself using them for anything more than workout sessions and short online meetings where I might wanna walk around the room to grab things while still connected to the audio. 😥

First set of Bluetooth headphones in my life so at least I have a baseline.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #176,943 of 177,742
Ordered a soldering iron. Wish me luck, gonna try my hand at some easy guitar pedal circuit.

You're only as good as your scrap bin full of failed projects, that's how I look at it anyway. XD

Make sure you get leaded solder (not lead-free!) and some flux (for electronics, don't accidentally get the plumbing one).

Anyone have a lot of experience with monitor stands/arms? I dunno if I should get an eBay cheapie or spend a little more on some used 'branded' ones. Prooobably leaning towards the latter because you know...businesses closing down and stuff.

May 25, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #176,944 of 177,742
You're only as good as your scrap bin full of failed projects, that's how I look at it anyway. XD

Make sure you get leaded solder (not lead-free!) and some flux (for electronics, don't accidentally get the plumbing one).

Anyone have a lot of experience with monitor stands/arms? I dunno if I should get an eBay cheapie or spend a little more on some used 'branded' ones. Prooobably leaning towards the latter because you know...businesses closing down and stuff.
Hit me up in a week or so (depending on shipping)

I've used a cheapo monitor arm for my previous main display for many years and it got at the time. Still think it's worth it with my situation back then, though I won't ever buy one like that ever again because of overall usability and quality of life stuff. Cost about 50 USD.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0155LJATK/

You wouldn't think the small things will be important until you actually use it for a few years. In fact, only 3 of the 4 screws are threaded properly when they arrived! XD

New monitor needs an arm so I have one coming in with all the work from home going on. This one's about 70 USD. It looks pretty solid in YouTube reviews but have some negative feedback in the Amazon reviews section.

Shipping's been delayed for a very long with with the pandemic but it should arrive this week or next. Will give some first impressions but can't offer any long term questions for this one.

If you have questions about arms with the previous design, feel free to ask away.

May 26, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #176,945 of 177,742
Ordered a soldering iron. Wish me luck, gonna try my hand at some easy guitar pedal circuit.
I recommend using brass wool for tip cleaning instead of a wet sponge. It makes your soldering experience more predictable, no sudden drastic drops in temps.

ZAn4ql5.jpg
1I3dseT.jpg

I've got a wall mounted Vision Mount one from MSY and it's not too shabby. Gas lift and has two joints. I've also got a Silverstone ARM31BS. It's adjustable but it's not easy to adjust, especially the height of the monitors. The base is quite big. Go with one that attaches directly to your desk if possible. You'll save a lot of desk space, and it'll be more sturdy too.

0006567_vision-mount-vm-l19d-wall-mount-aluminium-single-lcd-monitor-with-arm.jpg
117955_large.jpg

CBS makes some hella fancy ones but they are exxy

https://www.colebrookbossonsaunders.com/au/

May 26, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #176,946 of 177,742
May 26, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #176,947 of 177,742
CBS makes some hella fancy ones but they are exxy

https://www.colebrookbossonsaunders.com/au/

Well I just bought ten CBS Flo brand new in box for USD560 (845 dollarydoos on eBay), I hope you're happy with yourself. ><

I "needed" two for my desk, but once I saw the bulk pack I figure I'll use 4 in the garage and maybe a friend could use a couple. The price was too good to pass up, they're like AUD200ish retail? Even used ones look to be in the AUD90 range on eBay/Gumtree.

May 26, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #176,948 of 177,742
I was trying to find photos of my iPod Classic when I came across another classic:

XtRnumz.jpg

Never change @jgray91

Yoooooooooooooooooooooooo, that's a blast from the past lol. I wonder if I should blog again? So much hope, so much energy, so little depression back then.

Woohoo cheapo Taotronics Bluetooth headphones arrived and they are somehow wayyyy worse than I thought!

Is this one of those Taotronics that are being raved on and on in Youtube for "ThE bEsT cHeAp TwS yOu MuSt GeT!!11!111one11!"

May 26, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #176,949 of 177,742
Downloaded the new chrome-based Edge browser. Seems nice and snappy, supports MS store and Play store extensions I guess? (I don't use many extensions).

It's real easy, been soldering stuff since I was like 12. Flux was a good tip from @deadlylover. If you feel adventurous, maybe just play with melting the solder onto a scrap piece of wire or metal and see how it flows around and how fast it solidifies. I think just understanding the "nature" of it will make it a lot less intimidating (it really is super easy) and you'll have more confidence and get better results on your first attempts.

May 26, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #176,950 of 177,742
Flux was a good tip from @deadlylover. If you feel adventurous, maybe just play with melting the solder onto a scrap piece of wire or metal and see how it flows around and how fast it solidifies. I think just understanding the "nature" of it will make it a lot less intimidating (it really is super easy) and you'll have more confidence and get better results on your first attempts.
How bad do I need it? My (very short) research made it seem like it might be nice to have, but isn't exactly mandatory with modern Flux-core solder.

As for the latter, I ordered parts for two boards. One of them has like, 5 components and the other is a bit more complicated. Only bought offboard stuff (switches, sockets etc.) for the latter, so the first one will be my testbed.

May 26, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #176,951 of 177,742
Yes its not absolutely necessary. If you need to perform a quick fix you'll be fine. Flux just makes your joints look beautiful and flows the solder deep into stranded wire.

I actually have a guitar buffer kit to solder up but I've been lazy. What effect are you making?

May 26, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #176,954 of 177,742
Is this one of those Taotronics that are being raved on and on in Youtube for "ThE bEsT cHeAp TwS yOu MuSt GeT!!11!111one11!"

Ahaha!
No actually! There's actually no real reviews of this product. I just needed a pair for working out and walking around the room during video calls, and cheap Bluetooth headphones have become satisfactory so I just grabbed one with long battery life and some sweat resistance that looked good enough.

Just didn't expect this this performance, as Bluetooth headphones have gotten good enough at a cheap price, though didn't suspect that the product is defective.

Customer support for back to be and claim that it does appear to be defective though, so they'll be sending another one. I do hope that's the case as I don't want to bad both headphones. :p There weren't a single comment on the very obvious noise I heard in the decent quantity of Amazon reviews, so maybe that's true. Still felt like it's not defective, since everything else is working flawlessly.
-
For some very quick dirty solder work, I don't really bother with flux, though it's very nice to have, especially for more delicate work. Also do recommend getting them if you plan to solder a decent bit!

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #176,955 of 177,742
How bad do I need it? My (very short) research made it seem like it might be nice to have, but isn't exactly mandatory with modern Flux-core solder.

You don't need it, it's just a luxury especially if you're just stuffing boards with new components. You'll start to need some if you do rework or start getting into SMD stuff.

For desoldering wick I like the Goot brand, there are fakes around but you can just try your luck on eBay if there's a reputable supplier.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back