「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Sep 1, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #176,596 of 177,733
9v3sr8L.png
tsch

kawaii~

----------------------------

For some reason, the Steam Link app works very poorly with my Steam Controller on my Huawei P20. :/

If I press left or right a bit on the analogue stick, it behaves as if I'm holding it nonstop. Sometimes holding it in the opposite direction for a few seconds will make the whole thing behave as if I'm holding the stick in that new direction without letting go. Other buttons aren't registered properly either.

Sucks because many people have the Steam controller working perfectly with their phones. Was hoping I can just plug my phone into my TV and play games on my couch as my computer pumps heat into my bedroom.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #176,600 of 177,733
I liked it, but I think it's over-hyped. XD
When people name a Miyazaki movie, it's either this or Howl's Moving Castle.

I never quite enjoyed Howl' Moving Castle personally.

Need to rewatch that film in the future more.

There's actually a copy of Spirited Away on a disk in my parents' basement. Super old!

I tried watching it once but immediately stopped. It was apparently in 144p... 0.0;

---------

ARGH mail person didn't leave my two packages today even though I stayed home waiting for it! Was looking forward to the new networking gear to replace my craptastic ISP provided stuff. I'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon I guess... ; ;

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #176,601 of 177,733
What.......

WAT? 0 - 0

-------------

Have a bit more time recently so I decided to try to watch a film a week. I have such a big backlog but I don't need to worry about time like I do when binge watching an anime series.

Before this was Infernal Affairs. Really liked it, and now it's time for the better, whitewashed version. :D

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #176,602 of 177,733
ARGH mail person didn't leave my two packages today even though I stayed home waiting for it! Was looking forward to the new networking gear to replace my craptastic ISP provided stuff. I'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon I guess... ; ;
I sent my UE RR to get repaired...missed the delivery on Friday, so I was waiting basically all day Saturday for it. Turns out they were going to re-deliver it today, so I leave the signature slip on the front door. I guess they didn't even bother re-delivering it today and now it's at their Access Point TM. T_T

Sep 4, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #176,603 of 177,733
I sent my UE RR to get repaired...missed the delivery on Friday, so I was waiting basically all day Saturday for it. Turns out they were going to re-deliver it today, so I leave the signature slip on the front door. I guess they didn't even bother re-delivering it today and now it's at their Access Point TM. T_T

:frowning2:

The various pickup points are far from where I live so I prefer if they just leave it at the doorway. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Most who don't just redeliver it the next day but this one insists I go pick it up physically so that really sucks during the winter. Buses are infrequent here so it's always waiting in the cold...

Rained a lot during the past few days here. Good thing it's clear tomorrow.

------

How did your UE break? :'(

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #176,604 of 177,733
I never quite enjoyed Howl' Moving Castle personally.

Me neither. It was the first Ghibli anime I've seen and when I finished it I thought "this was OK, but that's the famous Studio Ghibli?". Luckily it was part of a larger event and I watched Totoro right after.
Haven't watched all of their stuff (still), but it's still my least favorite of the ones I did.

Sep 5, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #176,605 of 177,733
Me neither. It was the first Ghibli anime I've seen and when I finished it I thought "this was OK, but that's the famous Studio Ghibli?". Luckily it was part of a larger event and I watched Totoro right after.
Haven't watched all of their stuff (still), but it's still my least favorite of the ones I did.

I got the book just to make sense of what happened. XD Definitely wasn't their best. Now for the famous Princess Mononoke.

------------

A bunch of Ubiquiti stuff are finally here. Jezuz these are hard to set up properly...

They work now though so at least the Internet's up.

IMG_20190904_152657.jpg

The names on the ethernet crimping tools are...huh.

IMG_20190904_152445.jpg

I've both successfully and unsuccessfully crimped ethernet cables. Yay nerd level up...

Sep 5, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #176,606 of 177,733
I got the book just to make sense of what happened. XD Definitely wasn't their best. Now for the famous Princess Mononoke.

------------

A bunch of Ubiquiti stuff are finally here. Jezuz these are hard to set up properly...

They work now though so at least the Internet's up.

The names on the ethernet crimping tools are...huh.

I've both successfully and unsuccessfully crimped ethernet cables. Yay nerd level up...
that was only the first step, now this:

Sep 5, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #176,607 of 177,733

I also have the ER-X, just to let you know, they are a ticking time bomb. Apparently the flash memory used corrupts very easily, so you'll start to see them glitch out eventually.

I might try Mikrotik next as it's very similar hardware but maybe I'll just save up and go for a used Juniper SRX300 instead (30W power consumption scares me though, maybe it's much lower on idle).

I've been using it with an older used Cisco 2702 access point, pretty happy with it. I think I've had to restart the ER-X once in the few months that I've had it.

IMG_4332.jpg

New mouse day. Logitech G305 for around 65 dollarydoos, I'm very happy with it as it's replacing a hulking G500. Wireless is a bonus too.

I ordered some IKEA batteries to get the weight down a little lower because the 2450mAh cells I have weigh a whopping 30g compared to the ~17g of the lower capacity 1000mAh cells. That's only a few grams off a lithium cell (15g) that people seem to love using, but using a primary is so wasteful and expensive.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #176,608 of 177,733
I also have the ER-X, just to let you know, they are a ticking time bomb. Apparently the flash memory used corrupts very easily, so you'll start to see them glitch out eventually.

I might try Mikrotik next as it's very similar hardware but maybe I'll just save up and go for a used Juniper SRX300 instead (30W power consumption scares me though, maybe it's much lower on idle).

I've been using it with an older used Cisco 2702 access point, pretty happy with it. I think I've had to restart the ER-X once in the few months that I've had it.

New mouse day. Logitech G305 for around 65 dollarydoos, I'm very happy with it as it's replacing a hulking G500. Wireless is a bonus too.

I ordered some IKEA batteries to get the weight down a little lower because the 2450mAh cells I have weigh a whopping 30g compared to the ~17g of the lower capacity 1000mAh cells. That's only a few grams off a lithium cell (15g) that people seem to love using, but using a primary is so wasteful and expensive.

I see!

Never quite looked into this stuff honestly, thus have no context. Thanks for the info. :D

I intentionally got the cheap EX-R because I know I'll be needing more in the future and will replace it when the time comes, thus didn't plan to invest too much time or money. Currently just need something with a bit more flexibility than my ISP's router (even the few options that do exist on this old one are but a placebo...-_- ).

Worst case, the ER breaks and I'll just plug in my old router in an emergency.

I have a bunch of Eneloop AA batteries that I never use, as I've replaced them all with AAA ones in adapters. I mostly use these batteries in peripherals, including VR controllers, so weight matters quite a bit. The oculus controllers do feel a bit unbalanced in my hands, but I do prefer the lighter weight if I'm to do a sculpting session for many hours.

I also wanna see the rest of that mouse pad but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for this site... 0.0;

----------

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #176,609 of 177,733
Worst case, the ER breaks and I'll just plug in my old router in an emergency.

Same here =P.

I've finally had a CPU die on me, it was an Intel E5-1620 in one of my Dell Precisions. Had the machine running while I popped by the shops and when I got home, the fans were going bananas. Thankfully, the case has post codes right on the frontpanel so I didn't even need to open the side panel to diagnose the issue, the code referred to "CPU error detected, try reseating or replacement". I tried reseating to no avail, so I subbed in one from a different machine and it works fine, whew. (I didn't want the mobo to be defective because those are more difficult to source)

Ordered an E5-2689 for about $70 dollarydoos, 8 cores @ 3.3GHz. Should be more than good enough for classic WoW.

I needed a new wifi card because my old netgear one pooped itself, so I tried one of those Intel AX200 slapped into a PCIe adaptor thingies for $30 (total) with an external antenna. I've had a little funny business with the 5GHz band but it might just be the immature drivers as it's their latest product. If i had to do it again I might drop down to the previous generation or two, oh well.

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #176,610 of 177,733
Same here =P.

I've finally had a CPU die on me, it was an Intel E5-1620 in one of my Dell Precisions. Had the machine running while I popped by the shops and when I got home, the fans were going bananas. Thankfully, the case has post codes right on the frontpanel so I didn't even need to open the side panel to diagnose the issue, the code referred to "CPU error detected, try reseating or replacement". I tried reseating to no avail, so I subbed in one from a different machine and it works fine, whew. (I didn't want the mobo to be defective because those are more difficult to source)

Ordered an E5-2689 for about $70 dollarydoos, 8 cores @ 3.3GHz. Should be more than good enough for classic WoW.

I needed a new wifi card because my old netgear one pooped itself, so I tried one of those Intel AX200 slapped into a PCIe adaptor thingies for $30 (total) with an external antenna. I've had a little funny business with the 5GHz band but it might just be the immature drivers as it's their latest product. If i had to do it again I might drop down to the previous generation or two, oh well.

Bought one of those mobile WiFi card + adapter things from Asus a while back to finally put to rest my workstation’s wireless drama. The card on the adapter was an older Intel chip. Could have indeed bought the latest and greatest, bought my own adapter and got the "best" for about the same price, but I was tired of past WiFi card issues and just wanted to connect some Bluetooth speakers. An an-in-one solution by a known brand that's been out for a year or two probably is more plug and play, with no chance of incompatibility issues so between different parts (and if there is, I can always return it), so I decided to go for the simple route.

---------

I swapped the WiFi card in my 7 year old HP laptop half a year ago I think. It used the older standard so new mobile WiFi cards don't fit in it anymore. All I really wanted was something that supports 5GHZ as I could barely watch YouTube videos without stutters on that thing at 2.4.

Now that I've upgraded my networking, I've been streaming games to this laptop in the living room via Steam's Remote Play. It works extremely well!

Went from an average few hundred ms of ping with constant massive stutters (takes a few seconds for a frame up update) to a consistent ≤10 ms ping. Experience is very good for wireless streaming. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back