「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Apr 20, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #176,506 of 177,733
Just wondering. Is there any new or old anime series with a complex plot? I don't see many out nowadays but before there still were . I've watched many already psycho pass, zankyo no terror, baccanno ,durarara, ghost in the shell, texnolyze ,ergo proxy, cowboy bebop ,trigun , gungrave, Eden of the East ,serial experiments lain, shingeki no kyojin , evangelion, mosou dairinin, subete ga ff . Can't think of any thing else I've watched. But these are the best ones that I could think of .
Some random suggestions:
Kemono no Souja Erin
Shinsekai Yori
Noein
Zetsuen no Tempest
Sakurada Reset
Dennou Coil

But well, my opinions on your list are all over the place from masterpiece to garbage poi to things I'd simply avoid, so take this with salt :p

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #176,508 of 177,733
Some random suggestions:
Kemono no Souja Erin
Shinsekai Yori
Noein
Zetsuen no Tempest
Sakurada Reset
Dennou Coil

But well, my opinions on your list are all over the place from masterpiece to garbage poi to things I'd simply avoid, so take this with salt :p
soft hearted alert!!! Noein is my fav of the bunch. those music themes+emotional moments, even though I didn't like the drawing style, it really made my melancholia level go to 11.
don't know for dennou coil's complexity though, it's google glasses with extra steps. but I certainly liked the silly candid stuff in it, from the dog to the the antivirus. I had "boku saachi, youroshiku ne!" as sound alert on IRC for almost a decade(my other sound alerts were from GITS because I'm worth it).

@Love Music. do you mean complex plots even if the rest is basic(like say Death Note with real battle of wits, but not much else), or do you lean more toward complex environments and fancy dystopia? because I don't think something like coboy bebop has a complex plot at all. they just have adventures with little to no relation between the various events beside trying to make a buck and get something to eat ^_^.
giphy.webp

about Code Geass, what is it you didn't like? mecha? the oldschool Japanese love for European classics? the cheat power? depending on what you like, the suggestion could be vastly different. personally I'm a little like @kn19h7, among your list, some are obvious winners for me, but some didn't do much for me. so there's a need for specificity IMO. D gray man maybe? I don't know how far the anime goes into the manga story, but if we're talking about overly complicated, that seems like a hit. when I think about Serial experiment Lain, somehow I also think about Paranoia agent. not sure you'd see a relation beside being F in the head in a strangely enticing way. ^_^
Mirai NikKi might be something you like, I personally didn't, but it's pretty complicated in various ways. I'm not sure I can make the distinction between mystery planted artificially and complexity in a plot when I'm considering animes. I've never been very good with placing art into boxes. is Deadman Wonderland a complex plot? or just some fake stuff added to give a context to good old battle royal?

anyway you've already seen the true complex plots animes, which aren't many. even beyond the notion of anime being for kids, intricate concepts aren't that common, even in movies they aren't IMO. I'd throw in Last exile, because I'm a total fan, but IDK if the plot is that complex, it's more like the the story ends up involving people with more complicated backgrounds. otherwise it's pretty much about kids who like to fly some weird planes without wings. sort of Anakin Skywalker as a kid. IDK

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #176,509 of 177,733
Just wondering. Is there any new or old anime series with a complex plot? I don't see many out nowadays but before there still were . I've watched many already psycho pass, zankyo no terror, baccanno ,durarara, ghost in the shell, texnolyze ,ergo proxy, cowboy bebop ,trigun , gungrave, Eden of the East ,serial experiments lain, shingeki no kyojin , evangelion, mosou dairinin, subete ga ff . Can't think of any thing else I've watched. But these are the best ones that I could think of .
I thoroughly enjoyed Erased, though goes without saying the manga was more detailed.

Apr 24, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #176,511 of 177,733
soft hearted alert!!! Noein is my fav of the bunch. those music themes+emotional moments, even though I didn't like the drawing style, it really made my melancholia level go to 11.
don't know for dennou coil's complexity though, it's google glasses with extra steps. but I certainly liked the silly candid stuff in it, from the dog to the the antivirus. I had "boku saachi, youroshiku ne!" as sound alert on IRC for almost a decade(my other sound alerts were from GITS because I'm worth it).

@Love Music. do you mean complex plots even if the rest is basic(like say Death Note with real battle of wits, but not much else), or do you lean more toward complex environments and fancy dystopia? because I don't think something like coboy bebop has a complex plot at all. they just have adventures with little to no relation between the various events beside trying to make a buck and get something to eat ^_^.
giphy.webp

about Code Geass, what is it you didn't like? mecha? the oldschool Japanese love for European classics? the cheat power? depending on what you like, the suggestion could be vastly different. personally I'm a little like @kn19h7, among your list, some are obvious winners for me, but some didn't do much for me. so there's a need for specificity IMO. D gray man maybe? I don't know how far the anime goes into the manga story, but if we're talking about overly complicated, that seems like a hit. when I think about Serial experiment Lain, somehow I also think about Paranoia agent. not sure you'd see a relation beside being F in the head in a strangely enticing way. ^_^
Mirai NikKi might be something you like, I personally didn't, but it's pretty complicated in various ways. I'm not sure I can make the distinction between mystery planted artificially and complexity in a plot when I'm considering animes. I've never been very good with placing art into boxes. is Deadman Wonderland a complex plot? or just some fake stuff added to give a context to good old battle royal?

anyway you've already seen the true complex plots animes, which aren't many. even beyond the notion of anime being for kids, intricate concepts aren't that common, even in movies they aren't IMO. I'd throw in Last exile, because I'm a total fan, but IDK if the plot is that complex, it's more like the the story ends up involving people with more complicated backgrounds. otherwise it's pretty much about kids who like to fly some weird planes without wings. sort of Anakin Skywalker as a kid. IDK

Complex story and characters/background. Maybe new concepts ? Or all the things you mentioned lke environments . I'm open to anything really.

Apr 25, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #176,514 of 177,733
It's been a busy one, had to do a headgasket job on a friends' 99 Civic. Peeling off the old intake manifold gasket with a razor was incredibly time consuming and back breaking from leaning over the engine bay. ><

I also had to troubleshoot a surging idle problem after the headgasket was done, that was fun. The cause was a sticky Idle Air Control Valve letting in too much air at idle causing a high idle, which then made the ECU cut fuel to the injectors making it continuously jump from ~1000-1800 RPM every second or so when the engine was warm. The IACV basically reads the coolant temperature and the ECU controls a servo that's hooked up to something like a 'swinging door'. Years of crud caused too much resistance for the servo motor to overcome, hence being partially stuck open.

So apparently the new STAX Lambdas have a replaceable cable now similar to the old Omegas, I wish they'd sell replacement drivers for a sane price as I think my 007's are a dB imbalanced nowadays. Nothing a little tweaking can't fix though upstream.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #176,517 of 177,733
Does anyone here go to nerd conventions, or am the only one? XD
I go to at least one every year. Two this year, probably three.

Last one I've been to was in... 2014? None of them really get organized here anymore and I'm too lazy/shy/socially inept to visit any outside my area. I miss them, tho.

Also, happy belated birthday, Deadly.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #176,518 of 177,733
Usually would go AFA SG for at least a walk poi, but hadn't been spending much time on the activities recent years >.<

Had thoughts of going Canjam SG, but its always SAT&SUN only where its crowded like hell ugh

Apr 28, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #176,520 of 177,733

I tend to go to local video game conferences and playtesting gatherings at least once or twice a month, as the video game industry is massive in my city and it's basically free training/food. Same with art workshops and masterclasses. Haven't been to any anime or comics convention in years as I don't really feel like I get a lot out of them and I'm mostly out of touch with what is going on.

----------

Happy post birthday Deadly. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back