「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jun 10, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #173,731 of 177,742
ZCB6iSJ.gif

I listened to the WWDC talk show earlier, they mentioned that they worked on the ProMotion 120Hz display thingy for around 3 years now. They had to poke the silicon team hard to get the GPU performance required to drive the display at those frame rates. The variable frame rate tech they use does save a little battery life, it helps offset the impact from running it at 120Hz when needed, but it also removes some of the glitches when playing 24/30fps content, sort of like Freesync and GSync I guess?

One interesting thing is that they're purposefully not really worrying about screen resolution all that much, they think improving colour/brightness/refresh rate would yield a better experience overall, can't say I disagree with that. Hmmmm it took the 2 generations for the phone A10 to equal the iPad's A8X, so maybe it wont make it's way into the next iPhone because the GPU won't be beefy enough on the A11. Then again it only has to push 1080P...ish? It might actually happen now that I think about it......except will Samsung sell Apple a 'better' display than what's in their current phones?

I think I just triple-trolled myself on the Oneplus, I took another look at your photo and it just hit me ahahahaha. Ahhh seems like I'm having trouble distinguishing rounded rectangles from staring at candlestick charts all day. Hmmm better be careful on what we say here...

How do you think they would implement dual cameras, a zoom like the 7+, wide angle like some LG's or something like other phones that use it to boost detail. (did Huawei do something like that? monochrome + merging me thinks) I actually find the zoom to be quite handy every now and then, makes portraits look better too.
Oh, what are the chances they use the earpiece as an extra speaker like the 7/7+?

Attack on Titan 36 was nice, only a few more to go this season.

Jun 10, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #173,732 of 177,742
I listened to the WWDC talk show earlier, they mentioned that they worked on the ProMotion 120Hz display thingy for around 3 years now. They had to poke the silicon team hard to get the GPU performance required to drive the display at those frame rates. The variable frame rate tech they use does save a little battery life, it helps offset the impact from running it at 120Hz when needed, but it also removes some of the glitches when playing 24/30fps content, sort of like Freesync and GSync I guess?

One interesting thing is that they're purposefully not really worrying about screen resolution all that much, they think improving colour/brightness/refresh rate would yield a better experience overall, can't say I disagree with that. Hmmmm it took the 2 generations for the phone A10 to equal the iPad's A8X, so maybe it wont make it's way into the next iPhone because the GPU won't be beefy enough on the A11. Then again it only has to push 1080P...ish? It might actually happen now that I think about it......except will Samsung sell Apple a 'better' display than what's in their current phones?

I think I just triple-trolled myself on the Oneplus, I took another look at your photo and it just hit me ahahahaha. Ahhh seems like I'm having trouble distinguishing rounded rectangles from staring at candlestick charts all day. Hmmm better be careful on what we say here...

How do you think they would implement dual cameras, a zoom like the 7+, wide angle like some LG's or something like other phones that use it to boost detail. (did Huawei do something like that? monochrome + merging me thinks) I actually find the zoom to be quite handy every now and then, makes portraits look better too.
Oh, what are the chances they use the earpiece as an extra speaker like the 7/7+?

Attack on Titan 36 was nice, only a few more to go this season.

I don't know if they said it was adaptive framerate as well. I didn't listen very closely but if it's just different refresh rates which can be demanded by different programs then it hasn't maximized energy savings.

We don't know Apple's GPU design prowess since they just broke off with their previous supplier not all that long ago.

OP5 looks like an iPhone 7 if back shot only. Side shot it looks like a blend of the 3/3T and iPhone 7.

Most people are going for the wide angle + zoom telephoto approach. I think only Huawei is doing the monochrome + RGB. I'd advocate for the dual sensor setup to increase effective sensor size but after seeing the HTC U11 which is only using a 1/2.55" sensor (something like that, but it's not 1.23" which is the largest mass produced rn) I think the varifocal setup might be a bit more advantageous now.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #173,733 of 177,742
Explored Black Desert Online a bit more with different classes.

Still terribly disappointed by the lack of polish in the game. So many small things that break the experience, and most of these are almost never apparent in other MMOs so I never even though it was possible to not implement these things until they are gone in this one super hyped up game.

Might play until the end just to explore all the features they added inside, but so far, can't remember any characters aside from the spirit that accompagnies you or the one guy called Edan, can't remember any maps or cities as their designs are so generic, with nothing that stands out.

I tend to stay out of towns even though that's where all the interactions happen as this game eats up my laptop when there are 200 people in the city, and apparently the devs forgot the all important "toggle other players off" button so FPS drops from a stable 60 to below 30. Lack of fast travel means I have to run between maps by foot/horse, which is kinda frustrating when every town has their own warehouse for storage, and the stuff you store in one warehouse can only be accessed via that warehouse in that specific busy as hell town.

UI design is busy and interaction with buttons is very choppy as always, sometimes in combat where you cannot stop and fix everything with your mouse unless you want to die. Apparently I bugged out and skipped a cutscene in a quest, because I selected something in the wrong order, so I couldn't read what happened before and the NPCs continued on their discussion with me as if something big happened, only nothing did. Also somehow completed a few quests that require me to collect something or go somewhere, only I didn't do any of those. I only know this because I did them in previous playthroughs with another class. If these bug was triggered by a person through their first playthrough...I don't know. :/ Hey, I might have missed out on quite a few cutscenes! Maybe that's why I feel the story is unimpressive!

They really need to make a good camera system. It's cool to be able to adjust it yourself, but it's not cool to go back and forth, adjusting it so you can see everything manually after wanting to change the view once.

As for music...I just turned everything off. Can't imagine a more generic/boring high fantasy themed music. I just play my Youtube playlist in the background. Voice acting keeps throwing me off as what characters say phrases that do not match the text. Just make them do a greeting and let them shut up then! Reading something then hearing something that is different is very distracting. :/

I wonder if this game has gone through the same path as Blade and Soul China, where they dumbed down the game and removed everything, from the story to the quests to the voice acting/dialogue, so players can level to max in 2 hours and grind end game where all the spending is at. Something this lackluster with so many fundamental problems shouldn't even exist. :angry: Oh, and I can just buy an extremely powerful weapon and put it in my storage, create a level 1 character and let him/her equip it as long as it isn't too heavy. No level limitations so one can be as OP as one can afford to be. :/

Finally, this is an MMO. At least give an idle dance emote so my pretty kunoichi can do something while waiting 5 hours for her master to remember to come back and give new orders! :p

1AGbAft.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #173,735 of 177,742
Finally, this is an MMO. At least give an idle dance emote so my pretty kunochi can do something while waiting 5 hours for her master to remember to come back and give new orders! :p

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.

Mmmm couldn't find the volume slider on the embedded soundcloud above, I hope they go bankrupt.

Jun 11, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #173,737 of 177,742
@ SINoALICE

the game is finally somewhat playable today~! (still buggy as hell but within my range of tolerance)
first time I've ever played a mobage with a full BBS and instant messenger in the game tho.

joined a guild and it was pretty fun chatting with other players, feels like back in the days where I played MMORPGs...

came for the story/music, stayed for the lolis :p

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #173,738 of 177,742
Yeah been hearing about maintenance issues with SINoALICE for a while.

18951272_1552331838167033_3603612832262093711_n.png.jpg

------------------

Not sure if I want to dive down the rabbit hole for Fate GO. :/

I'll stick to LL SIF for now.

Jun 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #173,739 of 177,742
Yeah been hearing about maintenance issues with SINoALICE for a while.

------------------

Not sure if I want to dive down the rabbit hole for Fate GO. :/

I'll stick to LL SIF for now.

TBH I'd much rather they take the whole game down and scale up their system before releasing it again... this constant maintenance crap is a tease, you get to play for a few hours a day in horrible conditions and you might loose stuff.

I feel kinda bad for the devs working on this game... server maintenance from 3AM to 5AM? I'd have quit my job already.

-----------------

Fate GO - the latest AR mobile game where you catch all the servants xD

jokes aside, the game never really drew me in (maybe I'm not a big enough Type-Moon fan) and the gatcha probability was the final nail in the coffin... I spent a whole day resetting the game abusing my initial gatcha and FAILED to get a single SSR.
with rhythm moba games, I can still kinda make up for my lack of luck with the gatcha with skills.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #173,740 of 177,742
Had some nice pho tonight.

Ate dinner, when out with friends, and ordered an XL bowl. Finished everything including the soup! :D

Nothing better than a boiling hot bowl of pho during a sunny summer day...right? :/

----------------------------------

Welp, one more Black Desert rant. It seems the game spreads the missions with all your characters, so if you finish the game and start a new one, you can pretty much get a free ride. The ones you completed in one character is marked as complete for all your future characters. Even the cutscenes are skipped. Sadly, this is almost like the one thing that made me abandon BnS China: taking away a big section of the game's story for replay value so that players can reach end game in a few hours. What if I want to go through the story again? ;_; Hopefully I'm wrong about this one because a game with no story will never be able to redeem it's choppy gameplay. :frowning2:

First time I actually rant about a game. Gets out a bit of the frustration so I can enjoy the stuff that are working properly as is. The ninja class is pretty fun as they are more mobile. Doesn't east the requirement to run from one side of the world to the other by foot but it does make short travels more interesting. Those time I put my character in auto-travel mode, walk back after half an hour, only to see the computer guide ran them into the corner of a wall, making them stuck the whole time... :'(

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #173,741 of 177,742
Devolver wins E3.
Best conference forever.

Tomorrows unethical business practices, today!

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #173,743 of 177,742
Nothing better than a boiling hot bowl of pho during a sunny summer day...right? :/

I had a bowl the other day too.

Finally swapped out this abomination of a trackpad for one with trackpoint buttons. It feels like a completely new machine. XD
I may have used too much sticky tape and now the clickpad mechanism feels funny...but I never use that anyway so no biggie.

IMG_2366.JPG

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #173,745 of 177,742
it's probably in French just because the festival is in France. the guy posting also seems to stick to French for some reason... but it does feel weird to read .FR on crunchyroll.^_^
let's just hope that they won't go for something so outdated that the animation will be like Monster. I'm not sure I could handle that in 2017.

the Patlabor poster looks cool. I would love to see that with a more modern animation. but then again I'm slave to mecha stuff. just like this guy:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back