「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Mar 31, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #172,862 of 177,740

Am I doing it right?

Anyways the issue with these cameras are bad enough that Chinese GPSs include warnings and maps for where these surveillance cameras are located.

Almost all of the Korean GPSs have those warnings too, its super handy!    I wish my US GPS did :frowning2:  Though I did hate the ones that flash the screen red if they think you're speeding (less handy, that).

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #172,863 of 177,740
  You still have 640 CUDA cores on the 1050 laptop just like the 1050 desktop because, if you haven't noticed, LAPTOP AND DESKTOP GEFORCE CHIPS ARE THE SAME CHIPS NOW.

They might have the same number of CUDA cores but on the 1050 they disabled half the ROPs, from 32 to 16 which is quite the hit, probably losing 10-15% performance at identical clock speeds.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #172,864 of 177,740

They might have the same number of CUDA cores but on the 1050 they disabled half the ROPs, from 32 to 16 which is quite the hit, probably losing 10-15% performance at identical clock speeds.

Hm I see.

But otherwise the expectation for a 1050 laptop to perform on par with a desktop equivalent (for any of the chips) is beyond silly.

Why are you even running benchmarks at max anyways especially on a 1050 laptop. It's just a waste time and power. We already know that the 1050 and 1050 Ti are able to handle 1080p60 at medium to high details on average. There's no e-peen or worth to running benchmarks on these chips, especially since there's little you can do to tweak them for worthwhile gains.

In other news, AotS released an optimization patch so the game works better w/ Ryzen's implementation of SMT or something and got some pretty big performance gains.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Ashes-Singularity-Gets-Ryzen-Performance-Update

So I guess all we're waiting for now is the May update to help fix some memory speed stepping that don't work (3000 and 3400) and apparently some issues with 3200+.

And the mITX boards.

*cough*andZen2laptopAPUs*cough*

Galaxy S8 so far is looking really nice. Samsung is crushing it on the industrial design side. My only question is Bixby v. Google Assistant. Google Assistant is still available on the phone as well which is confusing but sure. All I see as of now though is people complaining about why Samsung didn't upgrade the camera (they did, just the software processing side which is more important that people think it is) and people having high expectations after the Note 7 incident.

JEDEC now developing DDR5 standard. I remember a bit before DDR4 was coming out that people were speculating that DDR5 wouldn't see the light of day and would be replaced by another standard (say HBM, 3D-XPoint Optane, etc.) but whatever. Still another 6 years to go though.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #172,865 of 177,740
  We do define the usable range of a battery though, at 0% and 100%. This could be once the battery voltage reaches 3.20V for 'empty' and 4.35V @ C/10 termination for 'full'. There is still energy below and above those points, but tapping into it becomes a compromise between capacity and lifespan.

Don't forget safety as well, for the upper limit.

Apple has set out a good expected lifespan for batteries, with stats like charge cycles and design capacity that are checkable by the end user too - something that you can't do with any other brand. An iPhone battery can undergo 500 charge cycles (1,000 for Mac) before dropping to 80% of the design capacity (20% wear), at which point anything goes and a replacement is recommended. I've personally found this to be very accurate, with users noticing a decrease in battery performance between 500-800 cycles (roughly 2 years of use on average) and the capacity has indeed dropped to 80% or below. Of course there are outliers, with batteries dropping to 40% capacity before reaching 500 cycles, or still holing 85% after 1,200 cycles. 

The battery percentage at which a device unexpectedly shuts off (and turns back on at) is often a good indication of (and directly proportional to) battery wear, empirically speaking. For example, a battery with 20% wear will turn off (and immediately charge back up) at about 20%, 30% wear will turn off and charge back up at 30% etc. Battery wear appears to truncate the effective capacity from the bottom up.

Galaxy S8 so far is looking really nice. Samsung is crushing it on the industrial design side. My only question is Bixby v. Google Assistant. Google Assistant is still available on the phone as well which is confusing but sure. All I see as of now though is people complaining about why Samsung didn't upgrade the camera (they did, just the software processing side which is more important that people think it is) and people having high expectations after the Note 7 incident.

Aluminum + polished finish = scratches galore. Shame it isn't stainless steel.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #172,866 of 177,740

Sad thing is even though the 1050 I have is about 400 mHz faster than other people's overclocked desktop variant, I'm getting closer to 30ish percent lower performance. Not really a clock to clock comparison.

That kinda surprised me a bit. I read elsewhere in the past that the difference should be about 7%. Wasn't sure about how creditable it was at the time but I wasn't expecting 30+% difference. :p Other people with the XPS 9560 is getting similar performance as me so nothing is wrong there.

---------

Finished fixing up the thermal pads on my laptop now, which is why I ran a quick benchmark to test the temps. 30 min in Valley barely raised the GPU temps above 60 and CPU never reached above 70. Also, the fans finally are not on 24/7 during idle and light workloads! :D

Pretty nice as it is currently winter where I live so I have some headroom for the summer. ^_^

------------

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmHAoLyqdPM[/video]

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #172,867 of 177,740

I mean the probability of us seeing steel framed phones is kinda low given since aluminium is so much easier to work with since anodizing it gives it a high amount of corrosion resistance where as for steel you usually have to chrome/galvanize it. I think alu also has better machinability so that's also a huge cost in production.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #172,868 of 177,740
  http://www.goodsmile.info/ lololol

I mean the probability of us seeing steel framed phones is kinda low given since aluminium is so much easier to work with since anodizing it gives it a high amount of corrosion resistance where as for steel you usually have to chrome/galvanize it. I think alu also has better machinability so that's also a huge cost in production.

Yep, anodization also has the advantage of being able to be colored using dyes. I'm pretty sure stainless steel doesn't need chroming/galvanization; back in the iPhone 4/4S days they just had a bead blasted finish. Better malleability also means lower durability - it's a trade-off, as with most things. I'll probably just have to place my faith in the possible stainless steel-bodied iPhone.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #172,869 of 177,740
  You must be smoking something if you're expecting identical performance. The laptop 1050's and up (basically till 1080) are identical in every (except ROP apparently on the 1050) way to their desktop chips except 1. the laptop variants are binned to pretty extreme power measures to make them suitable and 2. downclocked for certain laptops to keep their thermal output down and their power draw as well.

You're never going to get identical performance because the thermal mass you have in a laptop is so stupidly small compared to the ones on the desktop coolers you're going to hit the thermal ceiling much much sooner.

Yeah thermals is the main issue with laptops (especially with ultrabooks like the XPSs).

I may have a core i7 in my XPS13 but it thermal throttles after a few seconds at full blast.
(although I'm kinda happy the bottom doesn't burn my lap when the CPU is at 101C unlike the MBPs)

It's still my favorite dev laptop by far, the performance / bulk ratio is perfect.

Just ran a small test, my CPU stablized at 99C running all 4 HT cores at 2.8GHz (3GHz max), ambient temp is 23C.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #172,870 of 177,740
9lVg0dp.jpg

I meant chrome plating

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #172,871 of 177,740
  Yep, anodization also has the advantage of being able to be colored using dyes. I'm pretty sure stainless steel doesn't need chroming/galvanization; back in the iPhone 4/4S days they just had a bead blasted finish. Better malleability also means lower durability - it's a trade-off, as with most things. I'll probably just have to place my faith in the possible stainless steel-bodied iPhone.

Eh I mean stainless steel still tarnishes pretty easily, can still rust, and given that flagship phones nowadays basically have to be fine when near water. If we wanted to be technical then yeah aluminum "rusts", which is basically anodized aluminum.

I mean that's a given since that's basically what better machinability means. 7000 series aluminum is stiff enough that it isn't a really big deal, especially given that unibody's usually increase structural integrity given that the sides of the phone basically act as an I-beam styled support.

Midplates are extra but they still do work well after seeing the JerryRigEverything teardown of the Nokia 6.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #172,873 of 177,740

Eh I mean stainless steel still tarnishes pretty easily, can still rust, and given that flagship phones nowadays basically have to be fine when near water. If we wanted to be technical then yeah aluminum "rusts", which is basically anodized aluminum.

I mean that's a given since that's basically what better machinability means. 7000 series aluminum is stiff enough that it isn't a really big deal, especially given that unibody's usually increase structural integrity given that the sides of the phone basically act as an I-beam styled support.

Midplates are extra but they still do work well after seeing the JerryRigEverything teardown of the Nokia 6.

With the way most people use their phones, bending/denting/scratching is a much more common problem than tarnishing/rusting. Even on severely water damaged stainless steel iPhones, you'll only find rust on the inside, where the screws are. On water resistant phones this won't be a problem as water will be kept out.

8sZTJhy.jpg

7000 series indeed takes longer to machine due to their increased durability.

I just really like the feel and heft of stainless steel. It has a better strength-to-volume ratio, making it ideal for a device as compact as a smartphone. Aluminum has a better strength-to-weight ratio, so it is well suited for tablets and laptops where the weight difference will be massive (heh, massive).

9lVg0dp.jpg

Chroming is not addictive, it just makes you want to compulsively do it more/all the time.......    
L3000.gif

Sure...

7CnROYK.jpg

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #172,874 of 177,740
  Sega is cruel.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/567090/

Doesn't evevn look 8-bit.
0/10

Btw all the achievements etc seem to be teasing a PC version of Bayonetta ♥

Apr 1, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #172,875 of 177,740

Sega is cruel.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/567090/