♦ LCD-2 ♦ VS ♦ HD 700 ♦
Jul 3, 2012 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MEDO

100+ Head-Fier
Since there is no direct comparison between these tow marvelous headphones, i started this thread. I was determined to get the Audeze LCD-2 but the HD 700 proved it self. From what I know the HD 700 has more detailes, cleaner sound and enormous sound stage against the LCD-2. if that is true then i'd counsider the Senns very seriously.

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 11
The HD700's seem to be getting a lot of mixed reviews at the moment with many of them not very positive. I strongly recommend you try to listen to a pair first.

The LCD's don't have the widest soundstage but unlike the HD800's they are not artificially wide either. I feel that mine do have good depth though. I find the LCD's do have excellent detail retrieval and a very clean sound (if thats what the recording is supposed to sound like) but does it in a powerful full bodied way rather than a stripped down lean presentation where it would be more obvious.

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 11
I'd take the LCD-2s personally, as they work with a large variety of music. The HD700s I had for a few weeks were good with classical and jazz but didn't have enough punch in the bass for everything else. Not to mention the hot treble which was unpleasant with modern music.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 11
Paired with a good tube amp I think the treble issue would be fixed (same deal with the HD800), but I have to disagree with the punch. 

I felt the HD700 had more kick than the HD800 and LCD 2.2. That's one of the things I really liked about them. Everything else was pretty meh.

I'd pick the LCD 2 over them as well, but not for that particular reason.

Quote:
I'd take the LCD-2s personally, as they work with a large variety of music. The HD700s I had for a few weeks were good with classical and jazz but didn't have enough punch in the bass for everything else. Not to mention the hot treble which was unpleasant with modern music.

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Paired with a good tube amp I think the treble issue would be fixed (same deal with the HD800), but I have to disagree with the punch. 

I felt the HD700 had more kick than the HD800 and LCD 2.2. That's one of the things I really liked about them. Everything else was pretty meh.

I'd pick the LCD 2 over them as well, but not for that particular reason.

Quote:

Maybe they've fixed the FR to give more bass. I did use them with the Stacker II and slightly warm-of-neutral tubes. I'll have to try and get a listen to a production pair then.

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #6 of 11
The "kick" of the HD700 bass is at least partially attributed to how its bass frequency range is tuned; any FR graph would show that it has a gentle but significant and extremely broad hump stretching all the way from 10Hz to 1kHz, with the highest point at 80~250 Hz, where the visceral part of the bass is. It's not nearly as dramatic a hump as certain other dynamic cans though (cue Grados) so the effect from this tuning should at most be subtle compared to phones tuned with extremely flat/neutral bass.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
The HD700's seem to be getting a lot of mixed reviews at the moment with many of them not very positive. I strongly recommend you try to listen to a pair first.

The LCD's don't have the widest soundstage but unlike the HD800's they are not artificially wide either. I feel that mine do have good depth though. I find the LCD's do have excellent detail retrieval and a very clean sound (if thats what the recording is supposed to sound like) but does it in a powerful full bodied way rather than a stripped down lean presentation where it would be more obvious.

honestly i don't care much about the soundstage and as for the LCD's i know how good they are but the HD 700 i don't

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 11
I am interested in the debate between these 2 cans as well.
I love the look of the HD700, but I got a feeling that I will like the sound of the LCD 2 better.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 11
If you have the proper amp the LCD 2 is flat out better, IMO. HD700 pulls away in a few places, but the LCD 2s are fantastic cans.

Quote:
I am interested in the debate between these 2 cans as well.
I love the look of the HD700, but I got a feeling that I will like the sound of the LCD 2 better.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 11
Many have reported great sound from the O2, but all the amps I've tried with the LCD 2s were no doubt 'burn your pocket' amps. 

I'd look more into the O2, but I can't recommend it because I haven't heard the pairing.

Quote:
What is a good one that not going to burn my pocket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back