☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 16, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #541 of 5,932

There are three reasons, two you guessed. The front panel is too thin compared to the big amps, the cost is far too high, and the letters are too small. :)

Quote:
  Besides, for small amp like this you'll want something that's very visible.

It seems I only got a 2/4 :wink:. Makes total sense BTW and looking forward to the final design 
popcorn.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #542 of 5,932
  I also depends on what headphones you use.  I wouldn't use a Beyer T1 single ended, but a pair of Grados I wouldn't even consider a recable...

I'm curious on why you say this on the T1.  I already ordered the parts to re-terminate my T1 and make a balanced to 1/4  TRS Se adapter cable, but I'm curious why you wouldn't run the T1 SE.

It was after I placed the order that I started wondering if the amp would work well with my T1.  The discussions about SE having 1/4 the power available prompted me to buy the parts.

Thanks,

Apr 16, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #543 of 5,932

I'm curious on why you say this on the T1.  I already ordered the parts to re-terminate my T1 and make a balanced to 1/4  TRS Se adapter cable, but I'm curious why you wouldn't run the T1 SE.

It was after I placed the order that I started wondering if the amp would work well with my T1.  The discussions about SE having 1/4 the power available prompted me to buy the parts.

Thanks,

Do reterminate your T1s.  I say the Liquid Carbon will need all its power to drive the T1s well, don't use it single ended.  If you owned, lets say, a Fostex TH900, or a Grado PS1000, single ended would be fine.  They demand far less voltage swing.  T1 owned will almost always suggest an OTL tube amp (of course the rest of Alex's stable of amps would also do wonders).

Sorry if I confused you...

Apr 16, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #544 of 5,932
Do reterminate your T1s.  I say the Liquid Carbon will need all its power to drive the T1s well, don't use it single ended.  If you owned, lets say, a Fostex TH900, or a Grado PS1000, single ended would be fine.  They demand far less voltage swing.  T1 owned will almost always suggest an OTL tube amp (of course the rest of Alex's stable of amps would also do wonders).

Sorry if I confused you...

So your reason is pretty much the same as mine. I am currently using a BH Crack to drive the T1's so I agree on the OTL amp...

I ordered the parts because I figured I'd want the voltage swing with the 600 ohm cans.

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #545 of 5,932
So your reason is pretty much the same as mine. I am currently using a BH Crack to drive the T1's so I agree on the OTL amp...

I ordered the parts because I figured I'd want the voltage swing with the 600 ohm cans.

Well, make sure you can adapt back to your BHC....

Apr 16, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #546 of 5,932
Still no email with an order number for my Carbon.  Then again I never got one for the LL2 I just received either.  Must just be me...
blink.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #548 of 5,932
Might be your email settings? Check the junk/spam folder.

Nope, been checking there, as I always do before I trash them.  Alex just emailed to check my spam folder, too. He said he will get me the info as soon as he can. Burning in the LL2 right now, this is gonna be fun!!!  Sounds great so far.

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #549 of 5,932
Sometimes the emails are trapped at spam filters at the ISP. Almost all of the issues we've had with people not getting confirmations have been because they got trapped in spam filters before they reached their computers.
smily_headphones1.gif

But, we're past all of these issues now and just moving forward to the point where we can start production.

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #551 of 5,932
Sometimes the emails are trapped at spam filters at the ISP. Almost all of the issues we've had with people not getting confirmations have been because they got trapped in spam filters before they reached their computers. :)

But, we're past all of these issues now and just moving forward to the point where we can start production.

You should open a twitter account and post selfies every time you put another component in each amp! Of course, the first 50 will probably ship sometime december 2019..

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #552 of 5,932
Im a happy owner of the the Abyss and a Black Hugo, and in a search of a good compact sounding amp that is "wife friendly".
So i am very curious if anyone have hade the opportunity to listen to the Abyss + Carbon combo yet, and can give me some input??

I know the amp are a little weak in power, but i think it can play louder and with more stigma and control than my current Hugo setup.

( The Hugo just deliver about 650 mW at 85Ohm)

What is your thoughts

/ Fredrik

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #553 of 5,932

I have Abyss, but surprisingly I haven't yet listened to them from the Carbon. There are several pressing things at the moment, but when I get a chance I'll try it out.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #554 of 5,932
Im a happy owner of the the Abyss and a Black Hugo, and in a search of a good compact sounding amp that is "wife friendly".
So i am very curious if anyone have hade the opportunity to listen to the Abyss + Carbon combo yet, and can give me some input??

I know the amp are a little weak in power, but i think it can play louder and with more stigma and control than my current Hugo setup.

( The Hugo just deliver about 650 mW at 85Ohm)

What is your thoughts

/ Fredrik

Given the cost of your other gear, the investment in the carbon seems small to find out :)

Alternatively, you can wait until the May 2nd SF Bay mini meet and I'll bring my Abyss. Warren mentioned he might have a loaner Carbon and we can test them together.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #555 of 5,932
Ok guys, according to well versed ears who heard the Carbon at CanJam I need a new DAC because my CLAS just won't cut the mustard. I'd prefer to keep my budget between 750 to 1000 USD but am willing to move as far up as 1500 if this new DAC truly wows me. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back