“High-end” phones with least external sound emission
Mar 2, 2006 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

urs

100+ Head-Fier
Dear Colleagues,

Which “High-end” head phones have the least external sound emission (least disturbance of persons around you) ?

I’m toying with the Ultimate ears UE-10 pro, the Audio Technica ATH W5000 and I’m loosely considering the STAX 4070.
I have a Stax Omega & 007 T, for normal headphone use, but at some occasions, I need an equally excellent (!?!) phone without disturbing the outside world.
Any other contenders ? Which of these would combine BEST sound and low emissions ?

Thanks for your feedback

Urs
Switzerland

PS: A few ears ago I checked the 4070, but the early model had a rather miserable fit and I bought the Omega instead – BUT there are recent reports that a modified 4070 is now better ? Any feedback here ?

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Common sense would dictate that it would have to be high end IEMs, especially with custom molds. Whether or not you prefer that sound to a good closed phone, is up to personal preference.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #4 of 12
Erikzen, Jagorev

Thanks - UE-10 seems to rate well indeed!
I'm kind of hesitant to buy it blindly (no demo possible in Switzerland) and have to make a custom-fit as well(..Difficult to sell, if you don't like it...!!)

..AT W5000 or have another go at the 4070.. ??
confused.gif
confused.gif

Regards

Urs

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
UE-10 pro would win for "least". I've read reviews around here that state the Audio-Technica L3000. W5000, and R10 don't leak much.

Unlike the open AD-series which leaks like a sieve, the closed ATs are pretty good. Sound leakage seems to be one way though, as they don't isolate against external noise very well.

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 12
If you're coming from the O2, then high-end IEM's won't do for you at all. They'll beat headphones like the HD595 and A900, but they're not really better than $300+ cans like the HD650, SA5000, etc. When you're talking about the likes of the O2, then they're not even in the same league.

However! High-end IEMs are still a very good purchase because they are supremely practical. You'll be able to take very good sound with you wherever you go.

I'd suggest a pair of good closed cans, like the W5000. Perhaps you will get lucky and land a pair of R10's or the recently-discontinued L3000's on the used market. They will require you to build a second system around them - basically think your O2 system costs all over again - but if you want to match your O2 for quality, this is what you'll have to do.

I have the ES2, and while I love it, I cannot say that it matches up to top tier cans. The soundstage and textural portrayal just aren't there. On the other hand, it's very detailed and has a near-perfect tonal balance. It's a great headphone, and it's definitely high-end... just not ultra high-end. But, if I had to settle for one headphone - just one, out of anything that ever was available - I'll take the ES2 without any hesitation, just for the practicality alone. Being able to pull HD600-level sound quality out of your pocket is pretty convenient at times
biggrin.gif

All IMO of course. I've heard most of the topmost tier, though I don't own any of it (yet).

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 12
That's true - I didn't even register the fact that you have the O2. Even though ER4 isolates fantasticly, the AD900 still squeezes that little bit more out. And I'll reach for the AD900 unless portability is required. (Now that I've the W5000, the AD900 is snuggly back inside its box...)

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 12
Hi Urs,
In my personal opinion the best solution - in case you want an IEM - would be the Westone ES3. The price in Europe is about the same as the UE10. I have both and prefer the ES3. Maybe you want to get further information, then search for es3 and uandy.
Greetings from Germany
uandy

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks again to all,

portability is not really an issue - I'll use the closed system at home while my better half is listening to something else (only one room for two people with different taste of music - and SHE won't use phones, but insists of listing to the music system via speakers, so I'm "banned" to use the phones...!!! and the Omegas are just not isolating enough)
ES3 - I'll check them out - do they also NEED a custom fit ?

Urs

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:46 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by urs
ES3 - I'll check them out - do they also NEED a custom fit ?

Urs

Hi Urs,
They do need a custom fit. Normally any audiologist can handle that. In my case it was so that I told them explicitly to perform an open-mouth impression. Check www.fischer-amps.de for a leaflet (pdf) to hand over to the person taking the impression. I have included the links of ES3 part 1-3 of my personal experience of those. It is a pity but I don´t listen to the UE10 any more: Bass too strong in the 300Hz area (my personal taste...). The strongest point of the ES3 is the unbelievable speed and resolution. I can however imagine that the sweetness of the Omega will not be performed by the ES3. Although I don´t have the Omega, I still remember the Lambda Signature. In these years I changed however to the AKG K1000 because of their faster response and more thrustful bass-performance. (höherer Bassdruck bei schnellerer Anstiegszeit).
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=uandy
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=uandy
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ht=westone+es3
Hope it helps your decision - Europeans have to pay a higher price for either UE10 or ES3 (about 1100 Euros) so that it has to be well thought of what to buy.
Greetings
UAndy

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Uandy,
Thanks - saw all your threads.
Looks like both the UE-10 and ES 3 need this custom fit.
I'm about to check with the European Weston distributor for a possibility to listen to one of their similar (cheaper ?) units in Switzerland or southern Germany to find out more.

(...I'm just not game enough to spend 1000 Euro or so for a phone I'm totally unfamiliar with..!! It's kind of different to a Stax Omega, after all.)

Regards
Urs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back