¿Closed headphones under 300€ for games, movies and music?
Apr 30, 2018 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DDHector94

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for closed headphones to use on the PC with a Sound Blaster Z.

I want them closed to mitigate the sound of the outside and the noise generated by my pc (I don't want ANC and I don't care about the sound leaks, I'm usually alone in the room).

Its use will be mostly for 40% video games (mobas, rpgs, shooters (non-competitive), etc ...), 40% movies and 20% music (I listen everything, especially metal and electronics).

I guess I'm looking for something fun (I don't understand much about the sound).

I wear glasses and I have some piercings in my ear so I would like them to be comfortable too, I usually use them for 4-6 hours, sometimes more.

My budget is 300€, if they cost less, better.
I have a list of those that are attracting my attention:

- Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 Ohm) and ATH- m50x: I have tried them and I like how they sound, I have also used them for a while and they have seemed comfortable to me.
- Beyerdynamic DT770 (250 Ohm).
- AKG K550 MKII.
- BRAINWAVZ HM5 (they call my attention because of the isolation).
- Sennheiser HD 569
- V-Moda Crossfade M-100.
- Meze 99 Neo Black.

Is there any better option? What do you recommend?

Thanks so much guys.

(Sorry for my english)

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 11
The DT770 is sibilant on top--FWIW. The M100 is going to present comfort issues if wearing them for 4-6 hours. The K550 Mk II is terrific. Have not heard the Senn or the HM5--sorry. The Neo is good but the 99 Classics would be significantly better and that would be my recommendation between the two, Either the 99 Classics or the K550 Mk. II would be my choice, personally.

May 1, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 11
The DT770 250 pro is the headphone you want. It has super soundstage for gaming, and bass + treble for electronic. I seriously doubt you can get better for what you want. And the DT770 is a very good rock/metal headphone. True that there is some brightness in the treble region. But for the genre that you like, I don't think it will be a problem.

And it lasts forever. Only a dog chewing the cable can force a reparation.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 11
Soundmagic (32-Ohm) HP150/HP151 headphones, I would say the sound is like an improved DT770.
I'm guessing the AKG K550 MKII would come across as more neutral (less in your face sound), then the DT770/HP151.

May 1, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks guys,

I'm going to try the AKG K550 MKII and the DT770 250 ohm (Can the sound blaster z handle 250 ohm?). I will also look for more information about the soundmagic hp151 and the classic meze 99.

May 1, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 11
Let us know how you like them. The only way to know if the SBZ will work for you is to plug it in and see what it sounds like. Sensitivity of the DT770 250 ohm is only 96 dB, so it is possible it won't be as loud as you would like or that macrodynamics or bass response could suffer. You will just have to see how it sounds to you. If you are not happy, there are affordable amps that would work for you.

May 1, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks guys,

I'm going to try the AKG K550 MKII and the DT770 250 ohm (Can the sound blaster z handle 250 ohm?). I will also look for more information about the soundmagic hp151 and the classic meze 99.

The DT770 250 that I own can be driven by a little samsung galaxy player and the synergy with such little device is absolutely fantastic. It gets plenty loud. You can use the speaker input of your computer, or even the headphone input of your computer and it does a great job with the DT770.

I am always surprised to read that the DT770 need an amp. But the magni+modi is very good. Why not going that route instead of the soundblaster? But that being said, I never heard the soundblaster, maybe it sounds great.

May 1, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 11
The DT770 250 that I own can be driven by a little samsung galaxy player and the synergy with such little device is absolutely fantastic. It gets plenty loud. You can use the speaker input of your computer, or even the headphone input of your computer and it does a great job with the DT770.

I am always surprised to read that the DT770 need an amp. But the magni+modi is very good. Why not going that route instead of the soundblaster? But that being said, I never heard the soundblaster, maybe it sounds great.

I bought the Sound Blaster z a few months ago and now I can not return it. Maybe in a while look for another solution but at this moment it works well for me.

May 1, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks guys,

The SB-Z card can decently drive the 250-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphones and even somewhat decently Beyer 600-Ohm headphones.

May 1, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 11
I bought the Sound Blaster z a few months ago and now I can not return it. Maybe in a while look for another solution but at this moment it works well for me.
As long as your not needing to take advantage of the SB-Z's SBX Headphone surround sound (The SB-Z card making a very decent DAC).
you can always connect (later on) something like a Darkvoice 336SE OTL tube headphone amplifier ($214-$250), to the Front Speaker jacks, of the SB-Z card,
or maybe even a Schiit Asgard 2.

May 1, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 11
I got the 770 Pro about 6 weeks ago. Took me a long time to get used to the sound (yeah they're brighter than I was used to) and out of the box the treble is harsh but now it sounds nice. Clean, airy and detailed. It does lean a little towards brightness but it doesn't get painful for me, only a little "alarming" when I have the volume up too much, and overall I'd say they have a pretty balanced sound. My only complaint about the sound is the aforementioned peak in the sibilance region, it can be pretty nasty on some recordings. But the phones are so good in all other areas I tend to overlook that one flaw. I have the 32 ohm version FWIW. The 80 ohm version has a little more bass and a little less treble I believe. Didn't take me long to realize how much better these sounded than my M50x's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back