£500 to spend on headphones and amp.
Dec 26, 2009 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

niko-time

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've decided to upgrade my rig and get a new set of phones and a desktop amplifier primarily for my room at university but obviously to use at home as well
regular_smile .gif
My budget is £500 and I am at a bit of a loss of what amount to devote to each. I have been looking through the forum and have been thinking of the AD2000 and then this fun looking thing: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/new...ok-fun-412353/ but am unsure if these will suit my tastes and be a viable upgrade to my current DR150s coupled with a Behringer UCA222/iPod. I will still be using the DR150s for portable use.

Regarding the music I listen to, it tends to range from the post-rock/ambient/shoegaze side of things to Hip-Hop, Dubstep, Jazz, Tom Waits (what genre is he even in, anyway?)...if I had to pick areas for it to excel at are post-rock and, well, Tom Waits.

Is this a worthwhile investment; shall it give me a good enough performance increase to justify the price? Otherwise, what would you do with the money? I am not allowed to save it and whittle it with things such as food and alcohol, what else could be a good investment in any other fields? I have been in quite the university bubble so have little knowledge of what else it going on in the technological world...

Side note, I am more than happy buying items used/from china if it will give me the best 'bang for the buck'.

Thanks for reading
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Perhaps I should take a dabble in electrostatic headphones...but I have no idea where to start with those. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...ur-all-454108/ look very, very intriguing, any thoughts on them?

Dec 26, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 3
Definitely go electrostatic - for your pricepoint you can get a nice Stax setup, and you'll never look back.

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 3
The ESP950s I linked to are now purchased after help from the seller
smily_headphones1.gif
Now to wait to see a deal on a Stax amplifier...what happened to that Little Dot one that I was reading about ages ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back