£400 to spend...
Sep 12, 2009 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

brianp

New Head-Fier
Hi

I bought myself a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm headphones a few months ago for some listening that won't keep people up, and now I want something a bit better. My current source is my macbook (encoded with ALAC), but I have an Airport Express -> Beresford DAC on my main hi-fi that I would be using as the source.

The music I listen to is mainly modern jazz stuff. Examples include EST, Robert Glasper, Vienna Art Orchestra, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Avishai Cohen, The Zawinul Syndicate, Dave Holland etc.

I have a budget of about £400 which I am looking at spending on some headphones and a headphone amp (new or second hand). If I do go second hand, are there things should I look out for/be wary of? What do people recommend, bearing in mind I like a good bass sound (the bass response in my ears is probably not quite what it should be - too much drum playing), and listen at a fairly low level.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Also, is there anywhere in the UK that has a good range of headphone kit to try out? And what would be the advantages of closed and open phones with regards to my listening tastes and levels?

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would pick PRO 900s and spend the rest on music. Which part of UK are you from?

Thanks for the advice. I'm from Cornwall, but I go to Bristol Uni. I go to London occasionally as well - I suspect the best shops are there?

Looking around some online shops and forums I've seen that the Sennheiser HD650 may be a good one to go for with a Graham Slee Novo. A bit over budget, but if it sounds good I'd be prepared to pay (good old student loan
normal_smile .gif
) What do you think of this?

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 8
That Senn/Slee combo is one I'd be interested in if I where in your situation. The HD650+GrahamSlee Solo is wonderful and I've only read good things about the Novo. You can get the DIY version for less, if you have the soldering skills.
You may want to look for a Grado too, check the SR325i/RS2.

Don't forget to look around the For Sale section of this forum, some good deals to be found.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get yourself along to the UK meet,

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/uk...2009-a-443554/

You will be able to try lots of Headphone/Amp combos and get some great advice from the head-fier's there.

Great advice from paaj, your money goes a lot further if you buy used.

That looks like an amazing meet to go to, but Manchester is too far away for me to get to.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks like an amazing meet to go to, but Manchester is too far away for me to get to.

If they do discounts for more than one train booking I'd go with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back