£300 / $500 DAC suggestions?
Aug 20, 2011 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cricketbaby

100+ Head-Fier
Afterpurchasing a pair of Pro900s recently I've finally found the sound signature for me. Brilliant detail and tons of bass (perhaps too much bass sometimes). Time to sell my HD600s I think and the next logical step is to upgrade my source. I'm currently using a Focusrite Saffire 6 which I originally bought for digital dj'ing and to use as an interface for music production. I'll still be keeping it for those purposes but I'm now looking for a DAC which will pair well with my LD MKV & Ultrasones with the long term plan to buy some HE-500s so I'd like it to be up to the job for those as well if possible. The DAC must be USB, natural sounding and preferably around the £300 mark. I'd imagine I should get a good upgrade in quality for that price?
Any advice is greatly appreciated as always :)

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks i'll have a look into them over the next few days. I was thinking about maybe pre-ordering a Bitfrost on payday then getting an Ayr with a view to eventually getting HE-500s. Still lots more research to go though!

Aug 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 8
DacMagic is good.

The Yulong D100 costs about $500, and combines a design very similar to the Benchmark DAC1 with Chinese cheap labor 
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
DacMagic is good.

The Yulong D100 costs about $500, and combines a design very similar to the Benchmark DAC1 with Chinese cheap labor 
wink.gif

Thanks mate! :-D Looks like the D100 could be right up my street. I'd imagine i should be getting a significant improvement over what i already have if i went with that, plus the USB interface is meant to be solid after reading some reviews. One of my main concerns about buying a new DAC is that a lot of people seem to beleive you have to spendd around 1k to get a noticable upgrade from the level im at now :-|

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 8
I also have pro 900 and am looking for a dac at that price point, but i think i've made my mind and gonna buy the Apogee Duet mk1 since i want something for guitar and stuff. How much better would be a dedicated dac instead of an audio interface of this kind? I'm as well considering to retire my old kenwood amp, and wonder if the Duet's HP amp is sufficient to drive the ultrasones.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 8
I currently use a Focusrite Saffire 6 interface which is really good for £150 since it also include 2 line in options for recording and a headphone amp as well. I'd imagine a dedicated DAC at around double the price point should be a significant improvement? I'd at least hope so anyways!
I think i'm going to pre-order a Schiit Bifrost. I know there hasn't been any reviews or anything since it hasn't been released yet but it's a brilliant looking piece of kit.
in my experience, the Pro900s don't benefit too much from a good amp. Of course they sound better from my LD MK V than they do straight from my Saffire 6, but i'm not sure if the price is worth it for the increase. I bought my MK V for my HD600s.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Apogee Duet(2) is wonderful with the Pro 900s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back