£100 to spend SE210s to replace.
Nov 17, 2008 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LordEntropy

Head-Fier
OK so the cables on my Se210s are cracked to hell so I need something to replace them. I have a budget of £100-110 to spend and need good sound isolation as I am a commuter using the London Underground.

I have considered the UE Super.Fi 5Pro but have gotten the impression there are cable problems and despite them being replaceable I don't want to have to keep paying to replace the cables. The Denon AHC-751s are an option as I can get them in Silver for £80, I am a little concerned that out of the box noise isolation is poor so I will need to buy complys and wax may be an issue unless I am careful.

Any other IEMs that people could recommend that may tick these boxes?

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 16
Have you considered the new Super Fi 5's (not pro's) They're apprently better than the pro's anyway.

I'm in the same boat as you, where I have about £80 to spend on new phones. I'm leaning towards the Denon's, or 2nd hand Super Fi 5 pro's

Also consider the Atrio M5/M8 is you like lots of bass, or Westone UM1's if you want great comfort and isolation, although they're probably a step below the Denon's and UE's in SQ.

I assume you're getting the Denon's from iHeadphones?

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 16
Hi, OK so you suggest the Super Fi 5's but you then say about getting the Super.Fi 5 Pros yourself, a bit puzzled why you would not get just the 5s yourself?

I will certainly look at the Atrios and the Westone's although are they significantly worse in SQ than the Denon's?

Yes I headphones have the Denons in Silver for 80 although I could have sworn until they ran out of stock the black were a similar price as well but now they have shot right up. Will need to dig out some reviews on the Super.Fi 5.

Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 16
Purely budget, you can get second hand pro's for upwards of £65/70, whereas there doesn't seem to be many non pro's about at this price.
I also like the idea of a replacable cable because all of my headphone faliures in the past have been cable related.

I'm fairly certain on the Denon's though, as I'd prefer brand new phones.

I'm not 100% sure, I think the westone's are slightly lower in SQ terms, they seem to get an awful lot said about great comfort and quality, but I can never find a good review of how they sound, and the M5's are about the same as the Denon's, but that's purely assumptions from this forum (and also slightly based on price, with the Westones being considerably cheaper in the US, at $100 for the UM1's, and $160+ for the Atrio's, although in the UK the gap is only around £10-15).

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordEntropy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK so the cables on my Se210s are cracked to hell so I need something to replace them. I have a budget of £100-110 to spend and need good sound isolation as I am a commuter using the London Underground.

I have considered the UE Super.Fi 5Pro but have gotten the impression there are cable problems and despite them being replaceable I don't want to have to keep paying to replace the cables. The Denon AHC-751s are an option as I can get them in Silver for £80, I am a little concerned that out of the box noise isolation is poor so I will need to buy complys and wax may be an issue unless I am careful.

Any other IEMs that people could recommend that may tick these boxes?

first things first, send the se210 back to shure for replacement and then when you get a new set back wrapped up...dont open them and attempt to take them back to the shop with receit and ask for money back as you have not opened them
darthsmile.gif
depending on their return policy this may work and is very likely if you have an unopened box. just say it was a gift, if this fails then sell the se210 as new earphones for say £80 for a quick sale. you should get that if they are new. then spend £180 on earphones.

dont rush to buy some new ones be patient, go through the returns process which dont actually take too long for turnover and trust me they will replace them. the rewards will be great.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first things first, send the se210 back to shure for replacement and then when you get a new set back wrapped up...dont open them and attempt to take them back to the shop with receit and ask for money back as you have not opened them
darthsmile.gif
depending on their return policy this may work and is very likely if you have an unopened box. just say it was a gift, if this fails then sell the se210 as new earphones for say £80 for a quick sale. you should get that if they are new. then spend £180 on earphones.

dont rush to buy some new ones be patient, go through the returns process which dont actually take too long for turnover and trust me they will replace them. the rewards will be great.

No can do. The Se210s were a warranty replacement for my E3Cs that broke in my ear one day whilst I was on holiday. When I contacted Shure about the cracked cables they told me that the warranty was from the time I had the E3Cs so despite the SE210s being less than a year old I had no remaining warranty. They offered to sell me a new pair for about £80 but as that was more than I could have bought them elsewhere I declined. Besides why would I want to shell out more money on a product with a shelf life so short. Is a pity as I love the isolation of the 210s and the SQ is good although I have little to compare them to so I am taking a bit of a gamble by getting something completely new.

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

No can do. The Se210s were a warranty replacement for my E3Cs that broke in my ear one day whilst I was on holiday. When I contacted Shure about the cracked cables they told me that the warranty was from the time I had the E3Cs so despite the SE210s being less than a year old I had no remaining warranty. They offered to sell me a new pair for about £80 but as that was more than I could have bought them elsewhere I declined. Besides why would I want to shell out more money on a product with a shelf life so short. Is a pity as I love the isolation of the 210s and the SQ is good although I have little to compare them to so I am taking a bit of a gamble by getting something completely new.

well thats wrong, you see you have a warranty slip inside the headphone packaging. new headphones means new warranty as the headphones are covered under workmanship faults so they cannot possibly tell you the warranty is up because you had the e3c before that.

email shure or contact them again, they will change them if you make it clear you understand about warranty.

let me put it in simpler terms, every item has its own warranty, they cant tell you the se210 are out of warranty because it continues on from the e3c because the se210 isnt the e3c its a seperate item with its own warranty. it does not matter if you had the e3c before because in the se210 package shure has guaranteed you nothing will be wrong with the workmanship for 2 years and if something goes wrong they have guaranteed you they will replace them.

i really cant see shure feeding you that rubbish to be fair because warranty just does not work like that. a brand new item is warrantied just like everything else. if they sent you a used pair then yes they may be out of warranty, but i doubt even a used pair will be out of warranty because if im correct the se210 hasnt even been available for 2 years so theres no way they are out of warranty, whats the cable code if you dont mind me asking.

by the way im not ranting at you, im just dissapointed in shure if thats what they told you, they have always been pukka with everyone i know

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

well thats wrong, you see you have a warranty slip inside the headphone packaging. new headphones means new warranty as the headphones are covered under workmanship faults so they cannot possibly tell you the warranty is up because you had the e3c before that.

email shure or contact them again, they will change them if you make it clear you understand about warranty.

let me put it in simpler terms, every item has its own warranty, they cant tell you the se210 are out of warranty because it continues on from the e3c because the se210 isnt the e3c its a seperate item with its own warranty. it does not matter if you had the e3c before because in the se210 package shure has guaranteed you nothing will be wrong with the workmanship for 2 years and if something goes wrong they have guaranteed you they will replace them.

i really cant see shure feeding you that rubbish to be fair because warranty just does not work like that. a brand new item is warrantied just like everything else. if they sent you a used pair then yes they may be out of warranty, but i doubt even a used pair will be out of warranty because if im correct the se210 hasnt even been available for 2 years so theres no way they are out of warranty, whats the cable code if you dont mind me asking.

by the way im not ranting at you, im just dissapointed in shure if thats what they told you, they have always been pukka with everyone i know

Well that is very interesting as a colleague of mine at work has almost exactly the same issue and he was told exactly the same. I thought Shure were supposed to have really good customer service as well?!?!?

Nov 18, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Well that is very interesting as a colleague of mine at work has almost exactly the same issue and he was told exactly the same. I thought Shure were supposed to have really good customer service as well?!?!?

very odd indeed mate. never heard of them saying something like that.

Nov 19, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

No, that is not correct. Under English & Welsh law (Sales of Goods and Services Act), the warranty applies to only the originally purchased item - if these are replaced, then the warranty is regarded as starting on the date of the initial purchase. Having said this, it would be worth contacting Shure stating that as it was an inherent, well documented, design flaw, they should be replaced, even out of warranty. However, technically, the retailer (or credit card provider, if purchased on a credit card, under Consumer Credit Act [s75]), is liable for them, though, so you may be able to get a free or reduced cost replacement from them.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cordova /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that is not correct. Under English & Welsh law (Sales of Goods and Services Act), the warranty applies to only the originally purchased item - if these are replaced, then the warranty is regarded as starting on the date of the initial purchase. Having said this, it would be worth contacting Shure stating that as it was an inherent, well documented, design flaw, they should be replaced, even out of warranty. However, technically, the retailer (or credit card provider, if purchased on a credit card, under Consumer Credit Act [s75]), is liable for them, though, so you may be able to get a free or reduced cost replacement from them.

but it wasnt replaced with the same item, so surely they cant count the se210 with the same warranty. its a totally different item and should be warrantied.

i do agree he should still be able to get them replaced. because its a flaw with the manufacturing process surely?? no?

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

but it wasnt replaced with the same item, so surely they cant count the se210 with the same warranty. its a totally different item and should be warrantied.

You'd have thought, but no - warranty starts on the day of purchase, and isn't renewed/reset when you get a replacement item, unless the warranty terms state otherwise.
frown.gif
However, when you fully consider SOGASA [Sale of Goods and Services Act], things can become quite complicated. Legally, your relationship is with the retailer, not the manufacturer (a warranty is an additional, non-statutory agreement with the manufacturer), with items having to be fit for the purpose for which they were sold and of satisfactory quality (bearing in mind price) - if items are not, you become entitled to a full refund, replacement, or repair (with the option of a full refund existing only for a "reasonable time" after purchase). These rights are separate from and in addition to a warranty. So, it is possible to return an item to a manufacturer, have them replaced, the replacements be faulty, and return them to the shop for a refund (in theory). Sadly, many shop assistants are poorly trained and do not know most of SOGASA. If the items cost over £100, and any part of the purchase were made on a credit card, you could also hold the credit card issuers as liable as the retailers (and their staff tend to know S75 of CCA quite well).

Quote:

i do agree he should still be able to get them replaced. because its a flaw with the manufacturing process surely?? no?

Yes, they should replace them. A quick google search turns up a lot of hits on cable issues, sadly, which could be useful.

What the government says on the matter:
Sale of Goods Act Quick Facts - BERR

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 16
I may try them again as I am becoming more and more disillusioned with hope of finding something to replace them for the £100 budget that has similar isolation and sound quality. I thought I had struck gold with the Q-Jays but then discovered that you need to keep changing the wax filters which is pain I recall from my E2C days and also finding replacement filters in the UK seems to be hard.

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #14 of 16
well your £100 would get u another pair of 210's (or nearly a pair of 310's)but i take it not so inclined to go for shure again? as for the C751's you mentioned i got a pair and well, they are growing on me but if ur after good isolation then can tell you right now these would suck on the tube, i just went to get milk with them in and i could hear each and every car that went by something i never can with the shures in. etymotic er6's are meant to have good isolation if you can live with not much bass

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well your £100 would get u another pair of 210's (or nearly a pair of 310's)but i take it not so inclined to go for shure again? as for the C751's you mentioned i got a pair and well, they are growing on me but if ur after good isolation then can tell you right now these would suck on the tube, i just went to get milk with them in and i could hear each and every car that went by something i never can with the shures in. etymotic er6's are meant to have good isolation if you can live with not much bass

Yes I am disinclined to spend on Shure after this fiasco. I was looking at the C751s, I take it you are using the standard silicon tips and not complys? Someone told me that Complys make for good isolation on the 751s but I am hearing that Complys last only a few weeks which could make it all rather expensive really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back