☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Dec 17, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #4,846 of 5,932
The 3.5 input is SE... :blink:  
So no need for a balanced 3.5 input to the LC.
The phase splitter does the "balancing" for you.

I stand corrected, thank you.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #4,847 of 5,932
I'm not 100% sure about that. Sure, I know about the splitter, but, if the signal out of the dac is better from the balanced output, the sound coming out of the LC will be better from the balanced dac input, seems to me. my Pono is like that, has option for balanced or single ended out, less noise and better sound is out of the balanced. While the splitter will give the same quality IF ALL THINGS ARE EQUAL, it will not improve the sound of the single ended input from the dac if it is less than the balanced. Could be a pretty small difference, not sure it is worth going nuts over (haven't gotten balanced cables for Pono to LC yet, but I'm considering it), but makes sense to me in certain situations this would be true. The LC outs are not equal, the output from the DAC may not be either (or they may, will vary unit to unit, I'd guess).
My $0.02.

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #4,849 of 5,932
Got my shipment notification!
Number 490 will find a new home on Monday
biggrin.gif

Congratulations! What was your order #?

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #4,850 of 5,932
I'm not 100% sure about that. Sure, I know about the splitter, but, if the signal out of the dac is better from the balanced output, the sound coming out of the LC will be better from the balanced dac input, seems to me. my Pono is like that, has option for balanced or single ended out, less noise and better sound is out of the balanced. While the splitter will give the same quality IF ALL THINGS ARE EQUAL, it will not improve the sound of the single ended input from the dac if it is less than the balanced. Could be a pretty small difference, not sure it is worth going nuts over (haven't gotten balanced cables for Pono to LC yet, but I'm considering it), but makes sense to me in certain situations this would be true. The LC outs are not equal, the output from the DAC may not be either (or they may, will vary unit to unit, I'd guess).
My $0.02.

Mojo only runs SE, but I have to say the SE output of the Mojo into the phase-splitter of the LC beats some balanced outputs of other DACs into the LC. Cheers

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #4,851 of 5,932
My $0.02.

Mojo only runs SE, but I have to say the SE output of the Mojo into the phase-splitter of the LC beats some balanced outputs of other DACs into the LC. Cheers

Sure, the single end output of some gear will beat balanced of different gear. That reflects good design, balanced isn't the only aspect of design and SQ (as you know). Often, the same component will sound better balanced out than single ended, though (but, even then, not always. I'm looking at you, CEntrance Hifi M8, with your phony balanced out...). I'm on the tour of the Mojo, really looking forward to getting to hear what the fuss is all about (my bank account may not be as thrilled about it, though).

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #4,852 of 5,932
My $0.02.

The question asked was if his 3.5 interconnect would work. Which it will. Nothing was said about balanced vs SE quality. That would be a different discussion and a subjective one IMO.

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #4,853 of 5,932
Dang, mine was suppose to be delivered today but Fedex Ground doesn't deliver past 7pm. Oh well.

Dec 17, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #4,855 of 5,932
My $0.02.

The question asked was if his 3.5 interconnect would work. Which it will. Nothing was said about balanced vs SE quality. That would be a different discussion and a subjective one IMO.

I'm not sure about the Mojo, will have one soon on tour to play with. If it has balanced and single ended out options, and IF the balanced has lower noise or is otherwise better sounding, that should translate to better sound through the LC, seems to me. Do you HAVE to do it? Of course not! I use the single ended out of my Pono into the LC, haven't wanted to spend the money on the balanced cables, it sounds great as is. But, I'm thinking about getting those balanced cables. But, if the only question is, do I HAVE to have balanced cables, the answer is certainly no. The discussion always seems to imply that there CAN'T be any difference using balanced vs single ended input for the LC; I was just expressing my view that that may not be so. It may be small, but it may be there in certain situations. Nuff Said!

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #4,856 of 5,932
The original question was about how to connect the Mojo and since the Mojo only has single ended out, the easiest way (which in this case probably also is the best way) is to connect it to the LC with a short cable with 3.5mm TRS connectors in both ends.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #4,857 of 5,932
Reading the MOJO manual it appears the only way to hook it up to the LC is the 3.5 SE output unless I am missing something. Will wait to see what you find out.
I'm not sure about the Mojo, will have one soon on tour to play with. If it has balanced and single ended out options, and IF the balanced has lower noise or is otherwise better sounding, that should translate to better sound through the LC, seems to me. Do you HAVE to do it? Of course not! I use the single ended out of my Pono into the LC, haven't wanted to spend the money on the balanced cables, it sounds great as is. But, I'm thinking about getting those balanced cables. But, if the only question is, do I HAVE to have balanced cables, the answer is certainly no. The discussion always seems to imply that there CAN'T be any difference using balanced vs single ended input for the LC; I was just expressing my view that that may not be so. It may be small, but it may be there in certain situations. Nuff Said!

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #4,858 of 5,932
Dec 17, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #4,859 of 5,932
The original question was about how to connect the Mojo and since the Mojo only has single ended out, the easiest way (which in this case probably also is the best way) is to connect it to the LC with a short cable with 3.5mm TRS connectors in both ends.

OK, if the only line out on the Mojo is single ended, obviously, you have to go single ended out of the Mojo. (boy, did I just manage to waste a whole lot of electrons on this :) )

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #4,860 of 5,932
Reading the MOJO manual it appears the only way to hook it up to the LC is the 3.5 SE output unless I am missing something. Will wait to see what you find out.

Yes, you are correct. There is no possibility to output a balanced signal from the Mojo. Rob Watts, the designer of the Mojo, has said that with his analogue out implementation that balanced would actually hinder the sound quality. Currawong recently posted on the subject in the Mojo thread. The beauty of the Liquid Carbon is the way it handles SE input and having tested it myself I see no need to fret about using balanced input vs SE input at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back