The latest earphone to be released by Xiaomi, the MK301 is a 'total upgrade' to its predecessor,...

Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301

4.28261/5,
  • The latest earphone to be released by Xiaomi, the MK301 is a 'total upgrade' to its predecessor, the H01. Armed with best-in-class beryllium diaphragms, the Pistons were designed to provide pure listening enjoyment, only with a price of 99 CNY.

Recent Reviews

1. Nymphonomaniac
    Excellent V shaped bassy sound with beautiful soundstage and surprisingly clear mids and highs. Addictive sound signature.
    Written by Nymphonomaniac
    Published Mar 29, 2016
    Pros - Beautifully articulated, fun and lively sound, punchy bass that doesn't kill the mids, good sturdy construction, EXCELLENT quality price ratio
    Cons - Sound could be even more clearer, cord can be problematic with velcro clothes, sound better with non included ear tips
    Well, I read alot of enthusiast reviews about Pistons 2.0 before going for a purchase, and to be honnest, I was of the sceptikal kind.
    I was wrong.
    This earphphones are something specials and this time everybody is going crazy about them for a good reason.
    First time I plug them in my Ibasso Dx90 player I was blown away by their energic rendering and elegant bassy sound, I was listening to the electronic artist Ametsub and this very detailed IDM music sound fabulous. In fact, the Pistons are very well suited for electronic and beat driven music, the punchy bass is well rounded and high and treble make details sparkle. Mids frequencies are less recessed than lot of other V shaped earphones, it is surely due to the distortion free rendering of all frequencies range (sub bass included).
    I have listen to jazz, classical, electro, folk and rock with this earphones and nothing sound bad, for some type of music I will prefer the vocal-mids to be more foward but I think the same thing about some earphones that cost more than 100$ while this miraculous Pistons only cost me 15 boxes!

The construction is solid, earphones are made of brushed metal and chord made of a type of kevlar. Must note that because of my coat that have velcro pocket the chord got worn badly as it stick on it, it's just esthetical tough.

After more than One year of use, this trusty Pistons 2.0 still are my in-ear of choice.
    I have now made a simple mod to them and use the Shure foam tips wich make the sound shine even more.

In all honnesty, this earphones are a must for any music lover or earphones enthusiast, they are one of the best purchase I made in a budget audiophile perspective.

2. GainsbarreAudio
    Excellent V shaped earphones
    Written by GainsbarreAudio
    Published Mar 29, 2016
    Pros - Beautifully sound
    Cons - None
    This is the best sub 50$ earphones you could possibly find.
  3. jedi5diah
    Nothing is Perfect
    Written by jedi5diah
    Published Mar 7, 2016
    Pros - Durable
    I had countless of sony ear buds since its incarnation, as they don't last for more than 1.5 yrs. i will have to replace them yearly. I owned Mi 3 and thats how i got to know more about xiaomi brand. For the cheap launch price of less than 20 sgd with voucher, i say why not
  4. az060693
    Unbeatable Bang for the Buck
    Written by az060693
    Published Jun 19, 2015
    Pros - Build quality, overall SQ
    Cons - Straight jack, microphonics
    For the price, the sound quality is truly unbelievable. You won't really believe it till you try it.

I've been using cheap IEMs for years now and run a wide gamut of brands in the process. I've had the Meelectronics M6 and M9, Skullcandy Ink'd, Sennheiser CX400, Ultimate Ear 500, Samsung headphones included with my Galaxy S3, and Sennheiser CX-685i. This easily blows them all out of water. I thought the Ultimate Ears 500 was as good as it got at this price point, especially for a dynamic driver, but they're not even comparable. I really can't recommend any other pair of budget headphones anymore with this on the market. They sound good from pretty much any source as well and they're easy to drive. I've used them on a 2013 iMac, Galaxy Note 4, S.M.S.L M2 USB DAC+Amp and been pleased with the results on all of them. I'm also getting a pair of Yamaha EPH-100 IEMs soon and will edit this review with a comparison.

Build quality is also similarly amazing. These things are weighty but insanely solid. Cons are small but I do think the strain relief could be a bit better, especially near the jack, and would've preferred a right angle jack (straight angle jack + note 4 is... uncomfortable to say the least). Also, they could've rounded the sides a bit as they are rather massive and can dig in if you don't insert them perfectly straight. And finally, my biggest peeve with the design is because of the metal body and jack, as well as the kevlar cable sleeving, large static discharges are common and painful. Still, at this price point and sound quality, I really can't complain. The Piston 3.0 should resolve the static issue as the area closest to the ear is now plastic.

These have really made me a believer in Xiaomi. Great job and keep it up. I'm going to keep on enjoying these in the meantime.
  5. Eargasmman
    eargasmman
    Written by Eargasmman
    Published Jun 9, 2015
    Pros - eargasman
    eargasmman
  6. Vero Golf Champ
    Basshead bargain
    Written by Vero Golf Champ
    Published Feb 20, 2015
    Pros - Bass, clarity, efficient, soundstage, case, price.
    Cons - Microphonics
    So glad I got these instead of another pair of Sennheiser CX 300IIs. Don't have the texture to the bass of my VMODA M-80s, or the incredible seperation of the Sony XBA H3s, but crazy good sound for the money.
  7. jasonwsc
    Well worth its price
    Written by jasonwsc
    Published Feb 13, 2015
    Pros - Sound quality, Price, Works very well with Android
    Cons - Rather small soundstage and slightly overpowered bass, top portion of wire not braided

Note:

I bought these off mi.com, which is the official site for Xiaomi. However, it is only available for certain countries and hence the price is much cheaper for me. So obviously this product is not a fake and I get a white box with an English manual. [​IMG]  New account so can't post pics yet though.

The Review

When you do get the box you will find your earphones wrapped around a piece of chocolate-smelling rubber, which doubles as a carrying case for your earphones. The simplicity of the box is unbelievable and much better than your average plastic retail packaging.

There are supposedly Kevlar fibres inside the cable and the bottom half of the cable before the Y-split is braided. The top half of the cable seem to be made of your typical plastic. In short, the design is excellent and much better than earphones which are 3-4 times more expensive.

Sound quality

Obviously a good looking pair of earphones is nothing with a terrible sound quality, but thankfully the Pistons do very well in this aspect. The sound is V-shaped, with the mids taking a backseat compared to the bass and treble, but it is still mostly present. The earphones are definitely designed for the average consumer in mind, so unless you are looking for an analytical response, the sound quality should be good for most people.

I personally find the bass slightly overpowering and the soundstage a bit too small for my liking, but the price is unbeatable for me at least, since we don't have many cheap and good quality earphones in my country (Singapore)

Other features

The remote works on all my mobile devices, including my iPad, Xperia SP and Xiaomi Redmi. There is NO volume control for iOS though. I presume it uses the CTIA port standard, so unless you have a older smartphone the earphones should work rather well.

I guess that is the end of my review. No TLDR for you lazy folks. [​IMG]
      AmberOzL likes this.
  8. Palladium
    Amazing
    Written by Palladium
    Published Jan 17, 2015
    Pros - Everything.
    Cons - Tons of counterfeits floating around. DO NOT judge this unless you have the real deal!
    To reiterate what others have been saying this pair of earphones: The overall sound quality is astounding, the soundstage and separation is phenomenal, the build quality and packaging is world class. It even has a integrated mic and volume controls to supplement your phone!

I liked them SO much I have 3 pairs of them as backups just in case Xiaomi discontinues them. It is THAT good.

Just like any in-ears YMMV with the sound isolation and tip comfort, but this is a USD $20 piece of equipment to cry out loud. You simply cannot go wrong unless of course if you bought fakes which unfortunately are everywhere on the net.

If you have read this and can get the real stuff easy like in Singapore or China yet somehow still want to stick to crappy iPhone/Samsung earbuds, shame on you for doing your ears a major disservice.
      AmberOzL likes this.
    1. Roosevelt2
      Bought them in August. Love them so much decided to get second pair. Amazon now says not available. Disappointed!!
      Roosevelt2, Jan 17, 2015
  9. Samueru Sama
    Meh.
    Written by Samueru Sama
    Published Dec 5, 2014
    2.5/5,
    Pros - Deep Bass, Good Value, Build Quality. Smell like gum? xD
    Cons - Highs, sibilances. Mids
    I had very good expectations on these, after reading all the good reviews and even seen people comparing these with 80$ or 100$ IEMs.

Well, when I finaly got them, (By the way I received them on my birthday) I was so happy, then I open the box and I was like a little kid with his toy. xD

Then I looked at them, they have a very good build quality even the cable looks sturdy. So everything was good Until I heard them. Well, I dont like to say this, but they sounded really bad at the first time, so I knew about "Burn In" and I didn't lose all the hope, so I left them more than 4 days with Pink Noise at average volumen.

When I Finished the Burn In, Lets say how they sound now:

Bass: Very good, its the only good thing, the Bass goes deep and its powerful.

Mids: There are no mids, Jajaja Honestly. They sound like all the band is close to me, and the vocalist is 500m away. xD

Highs: Outstanding Sibilances xD. OMG I cannot even listen to some songs with these. I cannot listen to "Until The Day I Die" and they also have a peak around 5K. Its funny when a read some people complain about the 668B's sibilances, man the 668B's sibilances are nothing compare to these.

Overall, after this. Im afraid to buy others IEM's, Since I read that these are one of the Best under 80$ IEM's. So I hope that I got a bad pair, because I can confirm that these are not fake.

Despite of all I said. I'll continue recomending these for those who wants a cheap IEM's, before tell you to buy the Koss KSC75 which I considered far superior than these except for the deep bass.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. vaziyetu
      welcome to head-fi! dear friend Samueru Sama, i think you're very handsome or pretty (if you're a girl). but i'm sure you're good looking anyway. of course any koss model is way better than this one and trust me, there's better models are there with even lower price. of course they're low on mids due to narrow soundstage & acoustics. it's highs are bad sounding because it's not seperated enough from other main frequencies. it's bass is also weak due to overdosed 30hz production & narrow acoustic, you'll get that when you see some models with proper bass production. take a look at my review about piston. see u soon, goodbye!
      vaziyetu, Dec 5, 2014
    3. HAMS
      Every sound signature has it own fans, v shape, flat, bass head, treble head, etc. your ear are very adaptable but some time your mind can be very stubborn to accept something that is different. so yeah boomy bass and muffled mids sound Evil for me, even though I was fine with that before.
      HAMS, Dec 5, 2014
    4. vnmslsrbms
      I also got the feeling where the mids were recessed. For me I like to EQ them for different songs.  It helps with that issue somewhat.  For some songs I still don't get the balance that I like.  Recordings are all over the place.  These are definitely not perfect IEMs, but I think for the price it's pretty decent.
      vnmslsrbms, Feb 1, 2015
  10. joshm998
    Amazing for the price
    Written by joshm998
    Published Nov 11, 2014
    Pros - Everything
    Cons - They dont sit in ears to well
    These in ears are easily the best $20 I've ever spent. They sound amazing, look great and smell amazing. Only downfall is the ear cup as they don't insert properly.
    Xiaomi for a unknown "apple clone" has come really far to offer this type of quality for the price and I'm hoping they will expand there range.

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!