General Information

Product: MEST MKII

Driver Types: Dynamic + Balanced Armature + Electrostatics (EST) + dBC-S Dual Sides Bone Conduction System, 4-way quadbrid.

Driver Counts: 7+1

Sensitivity: @1KHz 112dB

Frequency Response: 20Hz-70kHz

Cable Sockets: 2-pin Flat

Shells: One Piece Carbon Fiber + Gold Foil

Crossover: 5-way Crossover

Resistance: 12.3 ohm

Driver Configuration: 1 Dynamic Bass Driver + 2 BA Mid Drivers+ 2 BA treble Drivers + 2 EST Ultra-High Drivers + 1 Full Range B2 Bone Conduction Driver

Cable: UM M2 24AWG Upper-Grade OCC Custom Cable

Ear Tips: AZLA SednaEarfit Xelastec SS|MS|M; Blue Heart UM Custom Eartips S|M|L; 3 Pairs of Comply Foam Tips

UIEM MSRP: $1499
CIEM MSRP: $1799

(Only available at Musicteck at this moment)
DSC_5256.jpgDSC_5601.jpgDSC_5608.jpgDSC_5613 .jpgDSC_5620 .jpgDSC_5636.jpgDSC_56131.jpg

Latest reviews

SenyorC

100+ Head-Fier
A very good set of IEMs!
Pros: They are good at everything
Cons: They didn't wow me as much as I expected

Intro…

This is the last in a series of mini reviews (to know more about these mini reviews, check out the Timeless mini review, (here), so did I save the best until last?

Todays mini review is of the Unique Melody Mest 2, a set of IEMs that uses a quadbrid combination of dynamic, balanced armature, EST and bone conduction drivers, coming in (at the time of creating this mini review) at around 1100€.

As these do not come in their original packaging, due to them being kindly loaned to me by @antdroid (of Audio Discourse), I am going to skip the presentation and move straight to the …

Build and aesthetics…

The Mest 2 are a lightweight set of IEMs, using a fairly normal shape with nice smoothed edges and generally a very comfortable result, at least for my personal ear anatomy.

At a simple glance, they are a dark and simple colour with a few gold flecks, however, looking at the closer and in better light, they do have a lot more going on. The left side has the UM logo in silver lettering, while the right side sports the word Mest.

They seem to be very well built and I find them to be pleasant looking although nothing extraordinary, they don’t stand out and scream “look what I have in my ears”.

In general, I have no complaints at all in this department.

Sound…

I am going to get straight to the point and say that I expected more from the Mest 2. Now, they are by no means bad, in fact, they are very good, but I haven’t had any “wow” moments while using them. They are very capable and have a good overall sound to them, I am just not blown away.

Again, let me make it clear that they are not bad and I am certainly not going to complain about their sound (or capabilities), I just do not find them exciting, maybe because I had hyped myself up to expect more, preconceived opinions do that (sometimes for better and sometimes for worse).

In the subbass region, they have plenty of subbass to keep me happy and they are very articulate in the way they present it. Listening to test tracks like my typical “Chameleon” test, there is really nothing I can complain about in the low end.

The midbass is also very good, both in presence and in substance. There is enough to keep me (and probably most people) happy. It is also very controlled, like the subbass, without it seeming to lose control at all and it doesn’t invade the mids. In comparison to the Helios, another 1k set of IEMs that really did impress me, the midbass is possibly the only part that I feel the Mest 2 does a little better, at least in quantity.

The mids are very balanced and although on paper I would have thought that the reduced upper mids would make things sound a little recessed and pushed back, it is not the case, at least to my ears. I was surprised to find that things were smooth yet easily identified and at no time deid I find myself straining to enjoy vocals.

The upper frequencies are well extended, with a nice sensation of air an spaciousness, while still remaining smooth and not presenting any unexpected peaks or harshness.

The details are also good, although not excellent in my opinion. This could be due to the smoothness of the tuning tricking my brain into thinking it is not retrieving as much detail, as there really isn’t anything missing, I haven’t come across any tracks that I found to be lacking in detail in comparison to other IEMs, it is just quite a bit smoother.

Conclusion…

As I said at the beginning of the sound section, the Mest 2 are a very good set of IEMs, maybe even excellent, but they just haven’t wowed me.

There is two possible reasons for this, one is that I was spoiled by the fact that the first >1k IEMs I heard were the Helios, a set of IEMs that really did wow me, and since then things have just been not quite as impressive.

The other option is that I have created a memory of the Helios that is better than they actually were, meaning that even the HElios would possibly be a let down if I were to listen to them again.

The only fair comparison between the Mest 2 and the Helios would be to actually listen to them side by side and compare. However, even though that gives me another excuse to finally purchase a set of Helios (as if I needed more excuses), I will be returning the Mest 2 to its owner and I have no intention of purchasing a set.

I guess all of this is to say that the Mest 2 is great. I have no complaints. I just expected more excitement for 1000€. This is possibly (probably?) not even the fault of the IEMs, rather it is my own brain, but I can only share what I feel. It is also possible, as I have said in my other mini reviews, that spending more time with something will sometimes make me appreciate it and like it more (or sometimes less), so this should be taken as what it is, my personal take on a set of IEMs after only spending a day or two with them.

As this is the last in the series of these mini-reviews, I just want to thank @antdroid once more for loaning me all of these IEMs, and to those of you reading, if you haven’t checked out audiodiscourse.com yet, do it now!! 😀

This is also available in Spanish on my blog (here) and on YouTube (here)

ljnew

1000+ Head-Fier
Unique Melody MEST MKII
Pros: Great all arounder,
very low chance of the dreaded buyers remorse,
huge sound stage,
scales and adapts well to different sources,
end game iem for many, detail monsters,
very energetic,
rated high across multiple reviewers,
non fatiguing,
can make other iem sound vieled,
high price to performance ratio
Cons: Extremely tip dependent
m17.jpg
I wanted to start with my impressions of the Mest mk2.

Sources used:
  1. Calyx m
  2. Fiio M17
  3. Acoustic Research AR-m2
  4. Lg V60
  5. Iphone 6s plus
My journey to finding the Mest MK2 started while having a debate on youtube about whether the new m17 was a huge upgrade to the lgv60. We also discussed whether the m17 was overkill for iems. I was introduced to a few reviewers who don't rank strictly on price, but rank primarily on sound quality.

The reviewers had opposing opinions about which iem were top tier. However, they both agreed the mest mk2 was a great iem that competes and sounds better than iems twice it's price. So i had to give it a try.

The Mest mk2 is definitely imazing with a1 clarity. The instrument seperation , bass and treble is phenominal.

If you are looking for value for your money and a competitive totl iem, the Mest is the ultimate solution. The unique melody mest mk2 is not only affordable (compared to other high end iems) but also provides the same (often better) quality as other high-end IEMs. It utilizes a tribrid configuration, resulting in a 3d sound stage and broader frequency response. The unique melody mest mark 2 can be used for consumer listening as well as professional studio monitoring and applications.

Tech Specs

Driver TypesDynamic + Balanced Armature + Electrostatics (EST) +Bone Conduction (Dual Sides Bone Conduction), 4-Way Quadbrid
Driver Counts7+1(7 Traditional Drivers + Dual Sides Bone Conduction System)
Sensitivity@1KHz 112 DBs
Frequency Response20Hz-70KHz
Cable Sockets2-Pin Flat
ShellsOne Piece Carbon Fiber + Gold Foil
Crossover5-Way Crossover
Resistance12.3Ω
Driver Configuration1 Dynamic Bass Driver + 2 BA Mid Drivers+ 2 BA Treble Drivers +2 EST Ultra High Drivers + 1 Full Range B2 Bone Conduction Driver
CableUM Copper M2 Cable Custom Cable
Ear TipsAZLA SednaEarfit Xelastec SS | MS | M

The unique melody mest mk2 has a very nice build quality. This shell is made out of a single piece resin fused carbon fiber body and the golden flakes bring the unique touch. It has a mildly semi custom type body which sits inside the ear comfortably. The cable is also very sturdy and has a thickness of 1/16th of an inch (4mm) with a braided jacket for added durability. The fit is excellent, with no slippage or discomfort even after extended use.

Sound Signature

The sound signature for this earphone is balanced. Balanced means that the low, mid, and high frequencies are at the same volume level and neither frequency drowns the other frequency. This is good because it makes the music sound more realistic. People who like the balanced sound signature are usually professionals or people who have high-end audio equipment at home.

The sound signature of these hifi earphones is a tad warm but with a great sense of speed, clarity, and transparency. It has a large soundstage and good instrument separation, making for an enjoyable listening experience for both music and gaming.

The unique melody mest mkii has a neutral sound signature with a slight boost at the treble range and an excellent bass response. The bass is not boosted as much, but it is still very present. The unique melody mest mk2 has a very detailed soundstage and has some incredibly defined instrument separation and imaging.

Bass

The bass is emphasized outside of neutral but overall very well controlled for being a single dynamic driver. The sub-bass has excellent extension and there's no shortage of sub-bass rumble and enough mid-bass punch to keep even the hardest to please bass heads satisfied. The bass is punchy without being overwhelming, and it has a nice texture that adds a sense of warmth to the overall sound signature.

The bass is very deep and warm. Possibly the deepest and most extended bass. It has a very natural feel to it; not overpowering in any way but always present. Very well controlled with no boominess or overhang. It doesn't bleed into the mids, which helps with the detail retrieval in the rest of the frequency range.

These hifi earphones are very detailed with a neutral tonality but a slight boost in the upper bass, giving them a slightly warmer and more musical sound. This makes it an excellent choice for most genres of music while still providing enough detail to be enjoyable for critical listening.

The lows of the unique melody mest mkii are quick and well-controlled, with good detail and extension. They are neutral in quantity; they don't stand out or recede into the background. There is no midbass hump to muddy up the low frequencies, although a slight peak around 50 Hz gives some warmth to music like the bass guitar or kick drum tracks.

Mid

The mids are smooth and clear while still maintaining an excellent level of detail without sounding too sharp or shrill at all times. Very intimate and elaborate sound with great clarity, although not as forward as other earphones. It makes up for this by having a sweeter and more forgiving presentation. The vocals seem slightly more mellow without giving up any detail. The layering is also very good; instruments are clearly separated from each other with good air between them. The realism of their presentation will strike you. Not as wide of a sound stage as some other earphones, but still bigger than most in ear monitors

The lower mids of the unique melody mest mark 2 are very slightly recessed. This provides more separation between the mids and bass than you would get in another earphone. The upper mids have a nice amount of presence, which helps balance out the bass response nicely without making vocals sound too thin or harsh. The upper mids also have a nice amount of detail as well.

High and Treble

The highs are pretty good, too, and not as recessed as in the previous designs, which was a good change. The treble has a similar energy level as the bass and can be considered bright or dark, depending on your source. The treble is very detailed and sparkly and has a good extension that is not sibilant. It is slightly hot but can be tamed by switching to a different cable or dap. The high frequencies are well-extended without being overwhelming. They are slightly forward in the mix.

The unique melody mest mark 2 can be best described as a warm earphone with great musicality, transparency, and spaciousness. It has smooth highs with plenty of sparkle and air. This earphone is perfect for those looking for an easy-to-drive earphone with a non-fatiguing sound signature.

It is a staple for the community that loves audiophile earphones, with many people raving about its sound quality and design. It's an earphone well suited to those who like their music loud and proud but don't want to sacrifice detail or accuracy in pursuit of pure bass.

The unique earphone design also features a bass port that can be opened up to increase the bass response on the earphone, which gives it a full-bodied sound if desired. It also features an over-the-ear cable design, which helps to provide added comfort and stability when wearing these earphones for extended periods of time.

The unique product is made out of high-quality acrylic and has a clean design that is considered to mimic the shape of your ears. The audiophile earphones have a slightly wider base than most other IEMs, making them fit comfortably in your ears despite their large size. This is a very unique earphone with a sound signature that is unlike any other. The unique melody mest mkii has a warm and smooth sound signature like no other. Its soundstage is wide, transparent, and spacious, with ample separation between instruments. It also has great musicality, coherency, and an above-average sub-bass extension.
Last edited:
Reactions: WK446

Bitsir

100+ Head-Fier
Unique Melody MEST MKII | Super Short Sound Review | Game over?
Pros: + Otherworldly Imaging & 3D Holography, teleporting you to another galaxy
+ Sublime Staging
+ Sublime Clarity and Detail, oh and Clarity.
+ Bouncy, grippy, textured, extended audiophile bass
+ Snappy upper treble, extended highs
+ No clear weaknessess/dealbreakers
+ Sinfully exciting and visceral listen
+ Can be cranked loud
Cons: - Ridiculously tip & fit-dependant. (Moondrop Silicone Spring Tips highly recommended)
- Upper Midrange is recessed, just a bit though
- Price?
- Ends your audiophile journey which is a con or a pro!
Honestly It is just incredible what this IEM does. You have to really nitpick about its few shortcomings in order to not come across as a shill for Unique Melody.
Another thing that amazes me is how coherent it manages to sound, being a quadbrid with 8 drivers per side, (16 in total) melding everything together into an intelligible, localised and organised sound. The incoherence that is there is totally forgiven when you appreciate the unique imaging which would probably be completely impossible for a single driver IEM to pull off.
Last edited:

Comments

SilverLodestar

100+ Head-Fier
What changes have been made to the frequency response? With more contact points for the bone-conducting drivers, is there a noticeable increase in upper-midrange presence?

UniqueMelody

Sponsor: Unique Melody
The newer dual sides bone conduction system offers a full range frequency response refinement. So it is not a driver which only carries mid and treble like the original MEST.

Concerning, as the 3DT gives a problematic fit in my right ear...not unbearable, but problematic.
Semi-custom still, not full custom. Considering there is a total of 8 drivers (including DD and BCD which are big) in the MEST MKII or 3 large DD drivers in the 3DT. It is not possible to make a small shell for them... Ultimately we have to follow the law of physics lol.

Ace Bee

Headphoneus Supremus
Not holding you responsible, because, in the end, the tuning is so good it's difficult to pull them off mye ear. Talking about the 3DT. You have scratched the itch of bass while retaining the brilliance in the rest of the spectrum so hard that it's very often cloud nine for me.

SilverLodestar

100+ Head-Fier
Now I’m very curious to check them out. Musicteck says they’re up for pre-order. When will the MEST Mkii be shipping out?

UniqueMelody

Sponsor: Unique Melody
There will be limited amount of mkii shipped to Andrew next Monday. Mkii is harder to make than MEST, and we are having a more strict quality check standard which makes the processing time even longer... We are trying hard...

Ace Bee

Headphoneus Supremus
I think it's better to wait for quality at this price range. Speed will inevitably compromise quality, which does not end well for both the buyer and the company.