Superlux HD-668 B

Average User Rating:
4.25/5,
  1. laughingbuddha
    "Best Overhead Headohone for the price !!"
    Pros - Cheap Good £150+ Sound quality better than ATH-ES700's for sure. Great Detacherble Cable wide sound stage.Extreamly Lightweight for size.
    Cons - Needs Eqing can be sharp in the highs... Needs Good Burn in.
    Lot's of Audiophiles own these they but can sometimes be like a wild horse that needs taming gotta eq and lightly amp to get best out of them - five times as good as
    Audio Technica ATH-ES-700's for example IMHO not as great as the UE 600's. Fiio E17 sounded really good with these. A Valve Amp like the Bravo even better [​IMG]
  2. twowayradios45
    "Excellent Headphones for budget!!"
    Pros - sound is crystal clear, bass is deep, comfortable
    Cons - treble is exaggerated so you need to EQ, need AMP
    I am upgrading from my Panasonic RP-HTX7s, which i thought were amazing but now....I have to take that back. I also thought they were huge but the HD-668Bs are much bigger. As far as the sound goes I can only compare to what I had so here goes..

I've had the Panasonics for over a year and they were beginning to sound different. The Treble became more pronounced and the bass was loose and distortedish...they werent blown just probably overused. I only noticed those issues at higher volumes. Nonetheless, out of the box these Superlux's are very bad as far as treble goes. I read the reviews and I was prepared to AMP them up and EQ. I used them with my phone for a little bit and it's true you can hardly hear the bass.

I found that lowering the 8K nob on EQ helped relieve the overbearing highs and made them sound balanced. I dont have an official AMP but I own a samson GoMic which if you've used one, you'd know that it pumps out some serious power from the output (atleast it did for my Panasonics). So with the combination of adjustments I couldn't believe the sounds I was hearing! WOW! sounds i never heard before. AND THE BASS?? I turned up the bass in the Samson GoMIC audio settings and these bad boys can pump some serious bass...and unlike my panasonics they can handle the power!! They don't even rattle at all even at full volume!!

Overall I am very impressed and very happy with this purchase, I might even get a real amp for portability. I will keep this review updated if anything changes.
  3. ChrisFIsh
    "The most impressive mediocre sound I have ever heard (lolwat)"
    Pros - "Cold", upfront, well balanced
    Cons - "Cold", tight clamp (at first)
    I purchased these at the end of December as a gift to my self (YEAIMLONELYSO). I did an unfathomable amount of research on headphones that were geared towards "gaming". I had my eyes set on the 555's and was about 30 minutes away from pulling the trigger, then these things popped up. $50 bucks, knockoff, cheap materials, why would I even consider them?

Holy asdkfljadslfds I am glad I did. The 668b's are not an "impressive" headphone, they are more of a honest, truthful headphone. These are considered "cold" as opposed to "warm". There is no hiding anything from them, if you have a ****ty file, you are going to get ****ty audio. There is no layer of icing catered onto whatever you are listening to. Time and time again I have heard crackling, and I became utterly pissed that I bought a knockoff, but guess what, I was listening to a sup-par audio file.

When I first started playing with them, the hi's made my eyes water, but after about 40 hours or so of burn-in they have become tame. The mid's are fantastic, and excel extremely well for my original reasoning of purchase, gaming. The bass is (I would say) just about perfect. There is no lingering rumble after something hits the bass, it is tight, compact and kicks just the right amount. My favorite thing to do now is crank it up, sit back, and enjoy some music. I listen to a wide variety of music from electronic, classic rock, "rap" (or whatever modern rap would be called), country, some metal, and pop music every now and then just to impress my self with how well these things sound.

From what I have seen, reading reviews on headphones is the same thing as asking people if they like oysters or not (or some other acquired taste food). A person's enjoyment of audio seems to be as expansive as their enjoyment of taste. Please take this into consideration.

To conclude, I absolutely love these headphones. They are well balanced, easy to wear (after some break-in), and will never fail to impress me. I'm no audiophile, but I believe I can distinguish good audio from the bad. These were an upgrade from my UB3R L33T G4MING HEADSET, and my god were they ever. Ontop of that they were fifty bucks!
  4. Bagheera
    3.0/5,
    "Superlux HD-668B: Good Value, But Not a Giant-Killer."
    Pros - Excellent clarity in treble and mid-range. Decent bass quantity.
    Cons - Sharp, bitey, very sibilant highs. Mid-range is recessed (V-shaped presentation). Bass a tad loose, and extension is poor.
    I bought these after reading all the rave reviews on Headfonia and Head-Fi... here are my impressions of them.

Materials & Craftsmanship
    I think any criticism concerning materials or craftsmanship of the HD668b is nitpick considering its price of $50 (easily found for less) - I personally haven't seen headphones in this price range that are this well built.

It's obvious that Superlux took elements from both AKG and Audio Technica designs. The way the earcups pivot is very nicely implemented and conforms easily to the shape of the head. As for the Audio Technica-styled "wings", I've been a long-time fan of it and prefer them to traditional headband design, so that's a plus for me. Add these on top of the two sets of detachable cords, a 1/4 in adapter, a carrying pouch, and an anti-yank clip... I am honestly quite impressed considering the 668b's price.

The packaging is simple but elegant; a very clean and professional presentation. The cords are carefully wrapped to prevent movement during shipping.
    Construction is very sturdy. No rough seams in the plastic and nothing squeaks or rattles. I personally find the comfort level to be excellent as well; the wings provide just the right amount of down force and clamping force is just right. The pleather used on the earpads are above-average quality and are fairly soft without the stickiness of the cheaper pleather types.

This is where I have a bit of mixed feelings about the HD668b... perhaps because I had too high of an expectation from all the rave reviews. Since so many calls it a "giant killer", I was expecting to be absolutely blown away, and I wasn't.

Treble: These headphones were extremely bright and harsh-sounding. It's strange that the review on Headfonia claimed the treble was excellent - granted, there's a lot of detail and when it behaves, the treble is quite sparkly. But as you can see in the FR graph there is a very sharp and pronounced peak between 5-6KHz, which is THE area that causes sibilance (overall the entire treble region is just way too pronounced to sound natural). I am not sure why Superlux tuned this headphone to accentuate this particular area, but I agree with Tyll's (from InnerFidelity) assessment on this one... it's like listening to a good headphone through razor blades.

Mid-Range: The quality of the mid-range is good, though a bit recessed. I think in spite of the issues with treble, the 668b's drivers are quite resolving and the mid-range does carry good clarity. It's just unfortunate that it tends to be drawn out by the distractingly sharp highs.

Bass: Contrary to the Headfonia review, I don't feel the bass is particular tight or controlled on the 668b, and bass extension leaves a lot to be desired (as you can see in the FR graph, the bass starts rolling off at 60Hz, and I certainly don't feel much sub-bass from these cans).

Sound Stage: The sound stage for the HD668b is quite spacious, likely owing to its detailed treble, clear mid-range, and its semi-open nature.

Instrument Separation: The HD668b performs well here; the drivers' good resolution allows the details in the treble and mids to be heard clearly. Orchestral music is properly layered and instruments are easy to pick out.

Isolation: Isolation on the HD668b is passable - not any better than the cheap $30 full-sized cans my wife had before this, but not bad considering its semi-open nature.  It should be fine for private use in homes or for sound work at a quiet studio. Do be aware that HD668b has moderate sound leakage, however - and may annoy people around you in libraries and whatnot.

Conclusion
    The Superlux HD668 are a good pair of headphones when seen in the context of its price range. Design and construction are superb, as is comfort. Its audio quality is a mixed bag, and if this really is the only entry-level headphone you can afford, then be advised you will need significant EQ to make it sound pleasant.  Then again, for $50, I think the HD668b is still a good deal as long as you don't mind having to EQ them.  Personally though, I would save up a bit and invest in something in the ~$100 price range for a proper introduction into the audiophile world. First-gen Sennheiser Momentum, AKG K553, Audio Technica ATH-M50, or a used pair of NAD Viso HP50 are all excellent headphones that can be had for less than $150.
  5. D3Seeker
    "My Discovery"
    Pros - You can hear EVERYTHING!!!
    Cons - The high end. WTF!!!
    To be short, sweet and to the point, after lurking for some time and running pass to great reviews of a potential giant killer I couldn't resist. Plus with my SE-115s going out I needed something new so I took the plunge. So this is the neutral sound everyone was raving about. I simply love it! Besides to terribly miss-handled highs (seriously what on earth were they thinking) these thing show quite the detail. I have to rediscover my music. Oddly enough though I found the odd high end to help for some recordings, however it's easy to see how these could become fatiguing for some listeners, and that's not even to mention the clamping force. I can deal withe the highs but the clamping is what gives me head aches.[​IMG]

All in all, they are totally worth it.
  6. 3lurverry
    "Super Indeed."
    Pros - Revealing,Clarity/Detail, Wide Soundstage, Intrumental Separation, Tight bass,Imaging, Price.
    Cons - Piercing Highs, Looks cheap, Sound quite thin, Stiff Earpads maybe uncomfortable, Slight simblance
    It has been a LongLong time since i bought a remarkable product at such a low price. Full Stars for Value!

Soundquality wise, this headphone has great detail and clarity and WIDE soundstage. Instrumental separation is very good. Makes it a very good headphone for gaming(which i did.) It just sounds so nice that it can even compete with headphones in the $100-200+ price region. A REMARKABLE PRODUCT BY SUPERLUX.
  7. BlackTea
    "BURN THEM IN - THE HARSH HIGHS WILL DISSAPEAR "
    Pros - Very cheap, great bass, clarity, analytical sound
    Cons - From the start the highs are a bit too much!!!:)))
    When I first put them on on I though that the highs will blow my head off. My ears got tired after 10 - 15 minutes. I though I would throw them out of the window. But having read some good reviews and advices regarding burning in the headphones I gave them a try. And now I must say WOOOOW.

After 8 - 10 hours of burning in (I left them plugged in to the computer, I put there some bass and treble heavy DnB and left for work). Whn i returned back, the highs became much softer, clear and completely bearable, and the bass was much fuller and deeper. I owned Senheiser HD 280 Pro and I have to say Superluxes are better. After proper burn in, when compared to HD 280s they have wider stereo range and more balanced overall sound. HD280s were more forward sounding, had worst mid frequencies and no full, deep bass.

You can definitely check your mixes on these and analyze musical work of others. Every detail is easily noticeable. I hope you will enjoy them the same way I do.

8. allmusic
    "Already recommended"
    Pros - Cost, Comfort, Fits Large Heads
    Cons - Pads make your ears sweat.
    If you want to know how good these headphones are, consider that I have never written a review about any product I've ever owned. These should be at the top of the list for anyone searching on this site for a good pair of entry level headphones. Lots recommend the Porta Pro's and I am not one to say otherwise, but the design of the unit is somewhere around 30 years old and they haven't updated the materials. So I decided to go with these after looking on youtube and this forums for weeks. I've made a great choice and they sound great. Do not, for any reason, listen to anyone comparing these to $600 headphones. They shouldn't be compared. For $50 you will be blown away. For anyone looking for a $50 set of "cans" then you won't be disappointed by build quality or sound. They are great.

Pros.
    Amazing sound for $50
    They fit my big ass head.
    Detachable cord
    Two cord sizes that can connect and form one long cord.
    1/4 inch adapter for your receiver

Cons
    Make your ears sweat
    Highs can be a bit much.
    Puts a decent amount of pressure on the head
    Do not isolate at all. These are private listening time headphones. Ambient noise will come right thru.
    Open design so they naturally leak as bad as the isolation.

*************************Update
    I've owned these for about 2 months now and wanted to do an update. I'd like to just warn dubstep and rap fans. These will not suite them. I'm a huge rap fan and listen to it often. The bass can't extend low enough to really sing with those genres. Don't get me wrong, they clear the fence but just by an inch. The highs have really relaxed after burn in. They are no longer piercing and fatiguing and have mellowed down. They can still use some adjustment based on the genre but they are livable now. Comfort is an issue now. They clamp pretty tightly and with the pleather pads being so stiff, it can get annoying. I'm thinking of getting the velor pads for these or try to change the padding. Seams like a lot of complaints on a pair of headphones I so recently gave much praise, but don't forget that these cost $40-$50. All forgivable when you remember the price. These headphones shine with house, jazz, pop, acoustic, most rnb or neo soul. They have great mids and listening to bass or bass guitar is a treat. For this price, I still highly recommend these headphones. They are not portable but if you don't have kids or a noisy house. These are great.
  9. Meowws
    3.0/5,
    "Incredible Sound comparable to $600 headphones"
    Pros - Detail Clarity and Max Volume Anti Distortion
    Cons - Wanted to go louder, discomfort sweaty cups
    Before I bought Superlux HD 668B

Roccat Kave 5.1
    Psyko 5.1
    Audio Technica AD 400
    Bose Quiet Comfort 2

and I must say, Superlux HD audio quality sound stage surpass all of my past audio gear except or comparable close to the Sony Muteki 7.4 quality.

Before i begin review, I suggest those out there that wanted to get a surround gaming headphones, 1 word of advice, they suck!!

In Roccat Kave 5.1, despite their awesome bass vibration driver, the sound quality distort painfully at high volume and clarity is like dog **** licking on paints colors. For my other speakers, you know z5500 sucks at bass badly and Creative S750 is broken from the start. My Bosecomfort 2 on the hand was just lacking on clarity compared to Superlux.

In the Superlux 668B HD audio, big difference can be spotted on the spot! First, it can go MAX volume in window and both me Auzentech Prelude Sound card!! WOW!!! With my roccat 5.1, I would have go deaf if i were to listen at max volume!!

Second, the sound effect is soo damn crystal clear that even turning on ******** filter found on creative cards would made you hear it all!!

blah blah blah....i can keep going on. but love it! later~

10. beebot
    "Cheap and Chirpy"
    Pros - price to cost ratio is extremely good
    Cons - build and comfort
    I didn't quite believe what I read when I heard all the hoo-haa about these headphones. I thought to myself, hey, when I have a spare thirty bucks lying around - maybe I'll try them out.

A friend happened to ask me what I'd recommend as a cheap set of cans, and knowing about the existence of these - I thought I'd try them first before telling him the usual 'lots of other people on the head-fi forums say these are great'.

Basically (as I realise has been said before) believe the hype! I was foolish not to trust you head-fi.

I let these burn in for a week back in December. I normally use a pair of DT990 Premium (600ohm). I also use a pair of DT1350's at work (great isolation) and I'm a fan of the RE-Zero/Audéo's when I use IEM's. The sound from this pair of 'cheap' headphones almost matches the quality of much pricier headphones, especially when driven by a nice amp - i'm using the iBasso D-Zero as my DAC of choice right now as it sounds very nice paired with this set of cans.

#Tested using:
    - Audio Research DAC8 / iMac / iMod with D-zero
    #Sound selection:
    - After Dinner - Paradise Replica
    - Andy Stott - Passed Me By
    - Jenny Hval - Viscera
    - The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
    - Charles Mingus - Ah Um (2 disc)
    - Portico Quartet - Isla
    - Claudio Abbado (Wiener Philharmoniker) - Beethoven Symphony No.9
    - Nat King Cole - The Nat King Cole Story (Capitol Remaster)
    - Demon Fuzz - Afreaka

They are semi-open backed, so as expected, they leak sound terribly and have practically zero sound isolation. However, they do isolate against external noise, so you won't hear people talking etc, but they will hear you. It will annoy people if you're sharing close quarters and wanting to play your music loud (and I do play my music loud). That's not a problem at home for me - so I've been trying out a range of high quality live classical recordings, electronica and dance as well as reggae and more bass heavy noise rock.

These appear slightly dark and boomy in the bass end, but the detail is there. Otherwise they are very bright in the upper mid area (without sibilance), they provide the great instrumental separation that I expect from good semi-open backed cans as well as the wide soundstage and a feeling of distance between recorded objects (on well recorded sessions). The sound stage isn't quite as great as on my pair of HD650's or DT990's... no real surprise. However, it's worryingly close.

I tend to drift toward neutral/warm when it comes to headphone preference. The sound signature on these is pretty close to neutral... every so slightly warm. Another hit in my book.

Once you really, properly listen to these, if you have experience on very nice - much more expensive headphones... I guarantee you'll have a 'holy crap' moment. I didn't believe that I would - but I definitely did. I find it odd that some people dismiss them as 'cheap crap'. They may well be cheap - but I wouldn't describe these headphones as crap. Not by a long shot.

Build Quality:
    This is the area where they suffer - but, it's not THAT bad. It's just your usual cheap plastic construction. They feel like a cheap plastic toy that you'd give to a child... I'm wondering how long the rubber cable connector will last, but otherwise - it's satisfactory. I didn't expect it to be great.

I do wonder whether the sound would be more open if I were to replace the stock p-leather earpads with AKG velour pads... I'll try, it's only £6! I might try opening them up more at the back too.

Comfort:
    I'm a bit of a pin-head to be honest. I heard people complain about the DT1350 clamping down like a facehugger on the back of your head. I never experienced this issue - and I definitely don't with these. They are quite loose if anything but you can definitely tell that you're wearing them. There is no apparent method for adjustment - one size fits all. If you have a big noggin, then you might have an issue - otherwise I don't see it as a problem. A bit sweaty after extended use, due to the pleather pads. I'm going to replace those I think... I'm sure lots of other people did the same.
    I've scored them as 2.5 stars for comfort -which may be a little unfair - they aren't 'uncomfortable'. They just aren't outstanding in this area at all and could definitely be improved.

Overall:
    I really like these headphones (if you haven't guessed that already) - basically, if you're ok with a very neutral sound and possibly a little fiddling with EQ to get some niggle out of the high end - you can't go wrong. There is simply nothing that I've heard at this price range to match them... All hail Superlux!