The BT Transfer is a new bluetooth IEM by New York based company Status Audio. The BT Transfer features Bluetooth 5.0 and AptX for superior audio quality.

Status BT Transfer

• Status Audio, a New York-based audio company which produces a line of affordable headphones and IEM's has recently introduced the BT Transfer, a Bluetooth in-ear monitor featuring the latest Bluetooth 5.0 technology coupled with the AptX codec for superior audio performance.

Transfer1.jpg

Transfer2.jpg

Recent Reviews

1. Peddler
    Outstanding sound quality - excellent value!
    Written by Peddler
    Published Jul 27, 2019
    Pros - Excellent fit. Excellent sound quality. Goes loud. Battery life appears to be pretty good so far. Nice range of tips and wings. Steel construction. Comfortable. Fast connection. Can play with the big boys.
    Cons - Slight noise floor (definitely nitpicking here). Would be really nice if they were truly wireless. No active noise cancelling (don't care). Very slightly soft treble.
    Introduction

I'm an enthusiastic headphone user and have been for many years. To give you an idea of the kind of sound signature I like, here's a list of some of the headphones I have (or have had in the past):-

Ultimate Ears Triple Fi10
    Sony WH1000XM2
    Shure E500
    Apple Airpods
    Etymotic ER4P
    SoundPEATS Q32 True Wireless
    Mavin Air-X True Wireless
    Sony MDR-888 earbuds

Players I've used in the past include:-

Apple iPod 5th gen
    Apple iPod Nano
    Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (perhaps the best sounding MP3 player ever!)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    LG V20 (My current player)

Whilst both the headphones and players listed above may vary somewhat in both their basic sound quality and sound signature, it's fair to say that they're all pretty damned good. My current player is the rather excellent LG V20 which features an excellent DAC/Headphone Amp section, this is mostly wasted when using bluetooth headphones. However, the player does support all the relevant high-res codecs including AAC, APTX, APTX-HD and LDAC - so makes an excellent bluetooth player as well.

Finally, as part of my intro, my musical tastes include Rock, Classical, Acoustic Folk, Trance and EDM. I tend to usually listen to music fairly loud but also appreciate headphones which can play at lower volumes (for bedtime use) and so appreciate IEM's that tend to not leak sound out.

Status BT Transfer - Hardware and Features

P1016716.JPG

The BT Transfer's come supplied in a rather nice retail package which consists of the usual fare - headphones, replacement tips in various sizes, instruction manuals and a USB type B charge cable. The tips include 'wings' which definitely help you get the best kind of seal as these headphones do have a fairly shallow fit and it's definitely worth trying them all out until you find the ideal fit.

The headphones themselves are gunmetal grey METAL! There's something very reassuring about metal headphones - you really feel that these are designed to be used and abused somewhat. They are lightly magnetised so you can keep them around your neck and put them together when not in use. There's a 3-button control on the right which offers track skip, volume adjustment and access to Siri/Google Assistant. The remote buttons are actually easy to find by feel and they have a nice positive click to them. There's a microphone for phone calls and people (my daughter) reports that I sound perfectly fine. Callers voice comes through both headphones which is always nice to see. As with most bluetooth earbuds, the Transfer's come supplied with an assortment of different sized tips and wings and I wouldn't think you would have any problems finding the right fit. The Transfers also come with a quite nice hard case, a short USB change cable and some printed instructions.

P1016710.JPG

The wings and tips actually click into place - this is great as they feel far more secure than with other in ear monitors I've used. The sound tube has a fairly large bore to it and the supplied tips offer a fairly shallow fit in the ear. Luckily the wings definitely help hold them in place. The end result is that I get a really nice seal - albeit shallow when compared to IEM's like the Triple Fi 10's, Shure E500's and Etymotic ER4P. Unfortunately for me this also means that the isolation from the outside world isn't as effective as the others mentioned - in all fairness though, your results could easily differ from mine. What I will say though is that they are supremely comfortable, feel very secure and offer a really nice consistent sound without you having to 'fiddle' around with them (like you have to with the other IEM's mentioned).

The Status BT Transfer are fairly long - they will stick out of your ear and make you look like Frankenstein's ugly half cousin. Luckily I don't give a rat's fart to how I look when wearing headphones - let's face it, I'm quite comfortable wearing Airpods in public. I haven't tried wearing these in bed - that's also Airpod territory. I suspect a small part of my brain could leak out of my other ear if I lay on my side with these in:wink:

P1016715.JPG

Connection with my LG V20 is excellent - very stable (absolutely no dropouts), very fast connection and automatically uses the APtX codec (which a couple of my other wireless APtX headphones don't do - I have to change from AAC to APtX manually using the Developers Options settings function on the phone). Range isn't too much of a problem - not perhaps the best in my collection but certainly good enough pass the upstairs bathroom challenge. Certainly if you're walking around with your phone in any pocket you shouldn't experience any problems. In fact, I find that if you pair your Bluetooth headphones to your phone and then power off the phone completely and re-boot, the bluetooth connection appears to be a lot more solid.

Sound Quality

I feel it's only fair that I should point out a few of my home truths:-

• I'm 56 years old. Much as I would like to think I've got the hearing of an 18-year old, I know that's very unlikely.
    • I honestly think that personal audio has got so good now - especially when you compare what we have now to the cassette-based 'Walkmans' of yesteryear. Even the most humble of headphones can sound considerably better than what we used to have. The sound quality gap between a good pair of 20 quid headphones and, say 200 quid headphones is not a massive chasm anymore. There's definitely a law of diminishing returns in play here.
    • Whilst I can tell the difference between a lossless recording and an MP3 recording, I certainly don't obsess about it - I know some do. 320k MP3's are good enough for me most of the time.
    • I often fall asleep whilst listening to music - this is perhaps why I'm always more familiar with the first four tracks of most recordings I have:wink:
    • I feel that sometimes sound quality is virtually impossible to put into words - certainly without some sort of point of reference. With this in mind I think my ideal sound signature for IEM's are the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10. Whilst perhaps not quite the flattest headphones out there, they are certainly close. In my opinion, any headphone that can be positively compared to the Triple Fi's should definitely be taken seriously!

The Status Transfer are definitely rather special. Taking advantage of the APtX bluetooth audio codec and having decent enough drivers to actually help make a difference, the Transfers offer a really nice detailed and yet mellow sound. The extremely shallow fit isn't a problem for me thanks to the combination of large eartips and the wings which help keep them secure when walking around.

P1016711.JPG

Bass is deep, controlled and doesn't bleed into the mids. It's quite refreshing to have bass like this without having to show them super deep into your ears - the only other headphones I have which can do this are the 1More Triple Driver IEM's and them tend to produce too much bass - wayyyyyyyy to much.

Compared with Magaosi K3 Pro connected to KZ APtX Bluetooth Cable.

The Magaosi is a triple driver hybrid - two balanced armatures and a bass unit. Both the bass and treble are sharper and slightly more detailed on the K3's. The fit on the K3's is better for laying on your side and the K3's have the advantage of being used Wired as well as Wirelessly. Note that unlike the Status Transfers, the KZ cable defaults to AAC connection every time on my phone and I have to change it manually in the Developers Options settings screen.

Compared with the 1More Triple Driver IEM's.

OK - these aren't wireless by default. The 1More's have more of everything - deeper bass, higher treble and very hard hitting. Whilst I think the 1More's offer excellent value to money, I honestly prefer the sound and convenience (and fit) of the Transfers. Note the 1More's are more expensive at full retail (although price cuts can bring them fairly close in cost).

Compared with the Mavin Air-X TWS

Like the KZ Bluetooth Cable, the Mavin's tend to default to AAC on my phone and I have to change them manually to use APtX. The Mavin's are a truly excellent IEM and do have a slight edge over the Transfers. In fact, I honestly think the Mavin's beat just about everything except the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's. In all fairness though, the Mavin's do cost about twice as much as the Transfers - so the comparison isn't perhaps the fairest.

The Mids on the Transfers are very slightly recessed. The lack of bleed from the bass drivers certainly help the mids to come through a little more clearly than what you get from other IEM's at this price point. Instruments and vocals stand out in their own soundstage - which isn't particularly wide but this really isn't I look for too much in headphones - especially in ear monitors.

Treble is slightly recessed in my opinion. Please bear in mind the points I raised above - specifically regarding my age - younger people could quite possibly find these bright - for me, they're just about right.

Whilst there is some audible noise floor from the bluetooth electronics, it's certainly not noticeable once the music starts - even at lower volume levels. The Status Transfers go nice and loud - more than enough to cause long term hearing loss if that's your thing. Like most bluetooth headphones, the individual volume steps are fairly course but when used in conjunction with your phone's volume controls, you should always be able to find a happy medium. Connection with your phone is nice and fast thanks to the use of Bluetooth 5.0 and I haven't experienced any dropouts at all during normal use.

I consider the sound quality of Status Transfer comparable to the likes of the Mavin Air-X, Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10's and Magaosi K3 Pro's - all of which cost considerably more than the Status Transfers - that's pretty high praise in my opinion.

Pros

Cons

Conclusion

For their price, they're truly remarkable. If you're in the market for this type of bluetooth in ear monitor, get them! I know you won't be sorry.

P1016677.JPG
  2. Takeanidea
    Status Audio BT Transfer BTT2X Bluetooth IEM
    Written by Takeanidea
    Published Jul 21, 2019
    Pros - Looks - midnight is a great colour. Fit - fit-wings lock the drivers into place, even on a run. Sound - bass depth and clarity in the mids and highs. Can be washed after a run.
    Cons - They still have a cable. The 3 button controls are not as easy to use as when they are on the outside of the driver as in the TWS600.
    Introduction

The latest product, of many, coming my way, (I am keeping up, but only just!) is from a USA company called Status Audio. Their web site has a clean, minimalist approach and is mirrored in the Facebook page, which has over 7000 likes. Up until a week ago, I confess, I had not heard of the Company. Status are all about the direct approach; they are keeping their costs down by cutting out the middle man, in other words, they are a direct sales company. They have a shopfront on Amazon, here is the US one and here is the UK one. The usual Amazon no quibble within 30 days guarantee notwithstanding, buying direct from the website gives the expected guarantee of 30 days if you're not satisfied and 1 year warranty if something goes wrong. Physical damage is not covered; for that you get a 50% discount.
    Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 00.22.09.png
    The Company Logo
    Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 00.22.46.png
    The Company motto

I was approached by Justin through this very forum, and here we are, pondering just how much Wireless product is to be released in 2019, and what will win in the battle between Wireless with cable, or Truly Wireless.
    Before you click away thinking this is another pointless bluetooth product, let me push a rather alarming figure into your grey cells; by 2025, the wireless audio market is estimated globally to be worth $37.5 Billion..... Therefore, we simply have to take these products seriously. Hitherto, Bluetooth has been considered the poor relation of the Audiophile, who like to surround themselves with a bewildering jungle of cables and connectors. The consumer, it would appear, thinks somewhat differently.... 20190720_164728.jpg

About the BT Transfer

The BT Transfer sells for £55.19 on their website, plus a 10% new customer discount if you subscribe, considerably cheaper than Amazon which has it for £69.99. The BT Transfer bought direct for US customers would be clearly more of a benefit than for the rest of the World, who I am presuming would have to post them back to the USA at their own expense if they didn't like them, as well as the customs and shipping charges may offset the difference between direct and Amazon.
    This is a Bluetooth 5.0 IEM. Bluetooth 5.0 is the latest iteration. For compatible devices, 5.0 offers longer range, longer battery life and less dropouts, it can receive a lot more bandwidth than it's predecessors. For non compatible devices, it offers backward compatibility so is at least as good as the older stuff. Do you have a 5.0 compatible phone or device? My Samsung S7, Fiio M11 and Shanling M0 are not 5.0 capable. The S8 and Iphone 8 support the new standard, so expect most new phones to be likewise ready.
    The BTT is IPX5 rated. This is a waterproof rating; the higher the number, the more waterproof the device is. A 5 rating indicates that although you can't take these for a swim, you can run them under a tap to wash the sweat off them when you've given them a workout.
    The audio setup is a dual driver design; 1 balanced armature and 1 9mm dynamic. It has been tuned with an emphasis on sub and low bass and levels out through the mid bass and beyond. Here's a diagram from Status. People like diagrams.
    Screenshot 2019-07-22 at 01.02.38.png
    The red curve is the competition - BAD SOUND! The black curve shows what the BT Transfer has been tuned for, which is a non bloated mid bass response.
    The BT Transfer has a cable that connects the left and right drivers and it has a 3 button function control two thirds of the way along the cable. This we have to accept and move on with. These are not truly wireless earbuds. Truly Wireless is cool, I can't help but think that. But, I suppose, with the fact that cabled bluetooth devices benefit from the advantages of a well established format and can receive relatively high quality signals. TWS products are in their infancy and have bandwidth limitations.
    20190720_165024.jpg
    Build

The BTT2X is designed to be worn while out and about, no two ways about it. Therefore, they have to be able to take lots of abuse. By abuse, we are talking sweat, rain, cables flapping about and pulling on the drivers as they are trying to stay in the ears. That's off the top of my head, and is based on the trials and tribulations of taking my various earphones out for a run. I run 25 miles per week. That equates to 7 runs every week. My bone of contention,with so many designs of IEMs, Earbuds and Earpods, is that they simply do not stay in place whilst running. You can have the greatest sounding IEM ever made, but if the reason you got it is because you want to use it while exercising and it doesn't stay put, then you have wasted your money, and the product is flawed.
    Status Audio must have been listening to me. They have worked on this problem. There is another silicon accessory included in the packaging. There is an entire accessories box devoted to some curious looking things Status have named as fit-wings. These fit in front of the nozzle on each driver and then the tips are put on after. The fit-wings are shallow fitting and extremely light and flexible. They curve away from the entrance to the ear canal and go underneath the fold of the earlobe and finish just before the top of the inside of the ear. Let me show you....

20190720_165001.jpg
    A close up of the fit-wings

What's more-they actually work. The fit-wings are successful in getting a really strong fit into the ears. They never feel like there is any danger in the BTTs coming out and no micro adjustments were needed on the run. There are 2 types of fit-wings supplied and 3 sizes of each. The Comfort fits have a wider surface area. For me, they were a better fit and gave more isolation than the sports. I suspect that was because a greater % of my ears were covered.
    This design is a real thumbs up for me. It does not beat the modification I made to the other bluetooth IEMs I received last month. I have used soluble plastic around the shell of the Rock Jaw Audio T5 Ultra Connect IEMs to keep them in my ears. They would not stay in my ears at all while I was running. As you can see, there is much more surface area that sits inside the fold of the ear than the BT Connect. This means the weight of the driver and shell is being supported by more material. The T5 has little or no driver flex, but I'm pretty sure most people will prefer an off the shelf design that works, rather than going to these lengths.
    20190722_024338.jpg
    They do look a lot nicer than this in real life,honest!

Sound Quality

The SQ impressed me. The BTT had a richer sound signature than either the TWS600 or the T5 Ultra Connect, without losing overly to detail. Modern music sounded great through these. George Ezra's Staying at Tamara's is a fairly cranked up to the rafters mix with plenty of bass, plenty of life full stop. It proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that the BTT has lots of bass where it's needed. I cannot accept that these are bass shy in any way. I have read a few reviews that have stated this. These are shallow insertion, well tuned, well designed IEMs that don't have any particular flaws in the sound at this price level.

Vs TWS600

The HiFiMan sound signature is leaner than the BT Transfer. The bass is lacking in comparison to the Status Audio IEMs. The tonal quality of the BTT2X is richer and thicker sounding. The TWS600s have a crisper top end and vocals and strings stand out in the sound stage.

Vs T5 Ultra Connect

The T5 is a more linear presentation than the Bt Transfer. Again, in comparison, I felt the bass of the Rock Jaw was lacking the slam and excitement of the Status Audios. The tonality of the BTTs beat the T5s across the spectrum, although the T5s have a perfectly decent sound quality.

20190720_164528.jpg

Conclusion

The question as to whether there is life left in the non TWS bluetooth market has been answered for me. The glamour of the new and bold aside, the bluetooth development has gone way past what TWS can handle for the moment. There are some good value products to be had, and this is surely one of them. I liked particularly the attention to detail on the fit-wings and the exciting sound to be had on the run. The connection was simplicity itself. Maybe we haven't heard the last from these good folks from Brooklyn
  3. HiFlight
    Big performance, small dollars!
    Written by HiFlight
    Published Jun 28, 2019
    I was recently contacted by Justin from Status Audio who asked if I would be interested in providing an unbiased review of their newest Bluetooth in-ear monitor, the BT Transfer. This latest offering from the New York based company features Bluetooth 5.0 for superior range and improved connectivity as well as the AptX codec to provide
    a SQ that rivals wired earphones along with 8 hours of play between charges. It also carries an IPX-5 water resistance rating. Have they succeeded? Let's take a look and a listen!

Transfer1.jpg

Packaging is not flashy but neatly contains a host of accessories to ensure the best fit and sonic performance.
    The package includes the headphones, warranty card, instruction manual, a case that can hold not only the headphones but some tips and "wings", shirt clip, 3 pairs of silicone tips, and a short micro-usb charging cable.

Transfer2.jpg

Truly a complete package for a sub-$70 price.

Prior to discussing the actual performance of the Transfer, some construction details of interest include a dual-driver configuration with one 9 mm dynamic driver and one balance armature.

Status-Audio_BTT_Feature-Audiophile.jpg

There are short stress-relief reinforcements at the earphone end as well as the microphone/switch. While the cables are somewhat thin, they should be more than adequate for the intended use. The microphone/switch has three buttons, labelled from top to bottom, +, O and -. The button labels are raised so it is quite easy to identify them by touch. The phones I received are gunmetal in color, however they are also available in a royal blue color.

Crucial to establishing a secure fit suitable for sports use are the included "wings". There are 7 pairs included of varying sizes and I quickly found a pair that fit the shape of my concha so well that it was impossible to dislodge the phones no matter how much I shook or twisted my head.

BT1.jpg

Status explains in their description of the BT Transfer that it is tuned differently than most of their competition at this price point in that they seek to put the emphasis on sub bass and low bass in the 20-100 hz range and avoid the mid-bass bloat that seems to be the more common tuning. This tuning does, in fact, provide a very solid foundation for the music and does eliminate the bloat that often intrudes into the vocal range.

On to the part that you have been awaiting! How do they sound? How solid is the connection? How easily do they pair?

I paired them with my FiiO M6, Shanling M0 and my HTC10 phone. In all cases, the phones showed up immediately as soon as I turned on my source Bluetooth and the phones. Pairing was immediate and I was able to move throughout my house without dropping a connection. One and sometimes 2 walls failed to effect a dropout.

The Transfer remembers the last paired device and reconnects immediately upon powering up the phones and is indicated by 2 beeps of rising tone. Tonally, I found the sound to be unfailingly excellent as my connections were always via AptX. Bass tuning did appear to be as stated by Status, with no mid-bass bloat noted with any of my musical selections.

Vocals were well-presented with both male and female sounding very believable, imaging was accurate and treble seemed to be quite well presented, not overly bright nor prematurely rolled off. I did try a variety of different genres, including acoustic, classical, and both male and female vocal. Pianos had weight, strings displayed accurate timbre and I noticed no sibilance or congestion in busy passages. Overall, I quite liked the overall SQ and found it to be much better than I had anticipated at this price point. Given the secure but yet comfortable fit provided by the "wings" and the very light weight, I could easily wear them for an extended period of time without fatigue, either sonic or physical.

I only made a few calls but everyone said my voice sounded no different than when I am using my cellphone.

Although I didn't time the charging, it seems to be very fast, certainly well less than an hour. I am surprised at the progress of Bluetooth technology, especially in such small devices as the BT Transfer.

I would have rated them higher than 4 stars except for the fact that I experienced some driver flex upon insertion of the left earpiece but none while playing and the fact that they still have a cable of sorts, with the microphone/switch hanging a few inches below my right ear.

If Status can bring to market a totally wireless Bluetooth IEM with this SQ that can play for at least 6 hours between charges, I will be the first in line!

If you are considering a Bluetooth IEM that stays securely in place, has a great SQ and 8 hours of play time and has an IPX-5 water resistance rating, the Status Audio BT Transfer should be on your short list!

For further information on other Status models as well as more detailed technical information, please visit their website: https://www.status.co/pages/shop

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!