Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones

1. JK1
    My V6 is also 23 years old
    Written by JK1
    Published Jan 2, 2012
    Pros - Very neutral sound. Great build quality.
    Cons - Ears get hot after a while.The only thing not built well on this headphone is the earpads. When mine gave out, I bought the Beyerdynamic velour ones.
    This headphone was my first high quality one. It sounds extremely neutral with good bass that is in proportion to the other frequenciencies. The midrange and treble also sound natural. What this headphone lacks and what you get by stepping up to the Sony V900HD(aka 7509HD) is a higher level of midrange detail. For the price though, this is an excellent value, however this is not on the level of the 7509HD or CD1000.
    1. Sylverant
      Nice, my brother's was passed down from our uncle and is from 1986. These things both sound good and really last don't they?
      Sylverant, Jan 2, 2012
  2. fe2cruz
    rugged bass heavy non-fi headphones
    Written by fe2cruz
    Published Dec 10, 2011
    2.0/5,
    Pros - loud, convenient, light, collapsible, rugged/durable, sounds better without pads
    Cons - too much bass, weak pads, poor stereo imaging
    These make everything sound huge, loud, big & boomy. But its an artificial bass sweetening that is not right for mixing, monitoring, vocals or classical music. You can decrease the bass by removing the cheap weak foam, but it still won't be flat enough for mixing. I suppose its nice for bass players, drummers or djs that want the rhythm section of a song maximized in noisy environments for beat matching and such. All the harmonics and overtones of middle and high frequencies are lost though, making vocals and strings sound like they are compressed or cut short with a pass filter or parametric eq. You'll never hear anything with reverb or spacial stereo properly either. They are very rugged and loud but not good for proper listening.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. fe2cruz
      I believe you are correct at least in that the one I own is flawed. I've done some repairs and modifications. Once I find the right pads I will re-do my review.
      fe2cruz, Feb 27, 2012
    3. takato14
      You want the right pads? Beyerdynamic EDT-231V.
      takato14, Aug 16, 2013
    4. Pheckphul
      I don't know WTF Sony did with the pads. I've had a pair for 28 years. The pads were a bit worn on the edges after ~15 years when I came across Sony replacements for $20. These lasted about two years of very little use; basically the coating of the pads disintegrated.  Based on this experience I'd say Sony changed the formula for the rubber-like coating of the pads. Also, based on the age of my MDR-V6s, I'd guess they were actually made in Japan, which probably also has something to do with how well the originals held up.
      Pheckphul, Oct 24, 2014
  3. Smiling Jack
    Great cans for $65
    Written by Smiling Jack
    Published Nov 20, 2011
    Pros - Netural sound, Folds for portability, coiled cord, comfortable for lengthy listening sessions, cord out one side
    Cons - Coil heavy for on-the-go usage, exposed wiring subjected to accidental fray/tear, earpads flake easily
    One of the best investments I've ever made.

I picked these up in B&H New York to replace my previous set, Sony MDR V150.

It's been six months since then, I can safely say that these headphones won't be leaving me anytime soon. The sound quality is neutral, as expected from Studio Monitors. The build quality is sturdy, with a thick coil for durability.

Although purely subjective, I found that burning these headphones in changed the sound signature dramatically in comparison to their coming out of the box sound.

Pick these up, whether you're for a new set of cans, or if you just want a backup pair.
    1. JamesMcProgger
      Hey, nice short review. from the V150 to the V6 was a big leap in soundquality. I think the V6 is kind at its pricerange, I dont think they are quite neutral though, but a good headphone nevertheless. and they are quite resistant, my father had a pair that lasted about 11 years.
      JamesMcProgger, Nov 20, 2011
  4. kenellenberg2
    Great starters
    Written by kenellenberg2
    Published Jul 14, 2011
    One of the better ways to get addicted to the audiophile community cheaply. Neutral and beautiful. A bit hard to power with an mp3 player, but if you are using an Ipod to start with, you probably don't care about clarity. Build quality to last, I mean they have been around forever.
  5. mxs1030
    MDR V6
    Written by mxs1030
    Published Jan 28, 2011
    Pros - Clean neutral sound, sturdy construction.
    Cons - Coiled cord gets a messy, pleather ear pads prone to wear and tear.
    Great for studio work or anything requiring accurate sound and isolation. Not the most musical of headphones, these are pretty much flat through the frequency charts. Cheap, sturdy and reliable.
  6. kem088
    23 and still going strong
    Written by kem088
    Published Jun 17, 2010
    Pros - sound awsome
    Cons - want to wear them all the time.
    Thats right they are 23 years old, and still sound great .I have taken good care of them over the years. They are everything the sony discription says they are.