Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones

Good riddance
    Written by dantelectro
    Published Feb 10, 2013
    2.0/5,
    Pros - Good sound, affordable
    Cons - Faulty design, poor quality control, cramped packaging
    I've had 2 pairs from 2013 and they both had the same problems.

The moving parts of the headband make clicking and knocking noises. It's super annoying and I couldn't find a way to permanently fix the issue. It's a design oversight.

The pleather covering of the earpads flake, badly, as many reviewers have pointed this out. It started after a year on mine. Replacing them costs more than half the price of the headphones, and would have to be done every year. No thanks.

The sound is alright, but because of the above intolerable issues, they're useless to me.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. dantelectro
      Thanks for the tip but i don't like buds :wink:, i always prefer IEMs for portable. I stuck with my cheap EX10, i rarely use it, and not for critical listening.
      Yeah i couldn't believe the issues myself, it may seem i'm too fussy. I'm not sure it's QC, it may also be by design.
      Sony doesn't give a rat's ass about my country, and they don't have the V6 on their UK website. I'm now navigating the maze of their US support site.
      dantelectro, Apr 13, 2013
    3. Hutnicks
      Shame you don't like earbuds. The best fifty bucks you could spend on audio, period.
      Good luck with Sony, if the US site is unresponsive you might try the Japan site. I had some luck a while ago getting drivers for a USB MD player there.
      Hutnicks, Apr 13, 2013
    4. dantelectro
      The US customer service first didn't want to acknowledge my concern and gave me the usual dodgy BS, then i further explained my intentions and they said they'll "forward my message to the appropriate department" (which i suspect was really only to shake me off).
      Do they speak english at the Japan site?
      dantelectro, Apr 14, 2013
  2. fe2cruz
    rugged bass heavy non-fi headphones
    Written by fe2cruz
    Published Dec 10, 2011
    2.0/5,
    Pros - loud, convenient, light, collapsible, rugged/durable, sounds better without pads
    Cons - too much bass, weak pads, poor stereo imaging
    These make everything sound huge, loud, big & boomy. But its an artificial bass sweetening that is not right for mixing, monitoring, vocals or classical music. You can decrease the bass by removing the cheap weak foam, but it still won't be flat enough for mixing. I suppose its nice for bass players, drummers or djs that want the rhythm section of a song maximized in noisy environments for beat matching and such. All the harmonics and overtones of middle and high frequencies are lost though, making vocals and strings sound like they are compressed or cut short with a pass filter or parametric eq. You'll never hear anything with reverb or spacial stereo properly either. They are very rugged and loud but not good for proper listening.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. fe2cruz
      I believe you are correct at least in that the one I own is flawed. I've done some repairs and modifications. Once I find the right pads I will re-do my review.
      fe2cruz, Feb 27, 2012
    3. takato14
      You want the right pads? Beyerdynamic EDT-231V.
      takato14, Aug 16, 2013
    4. Pheckphul
      I don't know WTF Sony did with the pads. I've had a pair for 28 years. The pads were a bit worn on the edges after ~15 years when I came across Sony replacements for $20. These lasted about two years of very little use; basically the coating of the pads disintegrated.  Based on this experience I'd say Sony changed the formula for the rubber-like coating of the pads. Also, based on the age of my MDR-V6s, I'd guess they were actually made in Japan, which probably also has something to do with how well the originals held up.
      Pheckphul, Oct 24, 2014
  3. AKGQ701
    Great first headphone
    Written by AKGQ701
    Published Feb 12, 2014
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Versatile, comfortable, price
    Cons - cable
    This was my first step into higher-end audio, and I recommend it to anyone in this position as well.  Never had comfort issues (especially if the cups are replaced), and the price is very reasonable.  I had great success when listening to music such as classical to R&B.  The only issue I had with the headphone was the coiled cable, which is long and prone to becoming tangled.
      Savant and DBX1 like this.
  4. Thisten
    Good Overall
    Written by Thisten
    Published Dec 4, 2012
    Pros - cheap where i got them. Decent sound.
    Cons - The top of the headphones sometimes gets heavy and hurts. Mids are piercing and sometimes too much for my ears to handle.
    I had high hopes for these headphones. Heard so many good reviews and i had to get my hand on them. They're good, but not as good as i expected. Some songs sound better on some of my cheaper headphones ex: klipsch image s4's. Good thing i got them for 50 dollars at Fry's. If i bought them at retail price which was $109 at the time, i would've returned them.
      yannisgk likes this.
  5. kenellenberg2
    Great starters
    Written by kenellenberg2
    Published Jul 14, 2011
    One of the better ways to get addicted to the audiophile community cheaply. Neutral and beautiful. A bit hard to power with an mp3 player, but if you are using an Ipod to start with, you probably don't care about clarity. Build quality to last, I mean they have been around forever.
  6. mxs1030
    MDR V6
    Written by mxs1030
    Published Jan 28, 2011
    Pros - Clean neutral sound, sturdy construction.
    Cons - Coiled cord gets a messy, pleather ear pads prone to wear and tear.
    Great for studio work or anything requiring accurate sound and isolation. Not the most musical of headphones, these are pretty much flat through the frequency charts. Cheap, sturdy and reliable.
  7. rbjones1
    Overall best headphones for the money
    Written by rbjones1
    Published Oct 25, 2015
    Pros - Held up for over 27 years with no issues, Sound great
    Cons - They carry the 30 year old design
    I wouldn't trade anything for my Sony MDR-V6's, including Bose or even some of the other higher end units.  I have owned these for well over 27 years and have never had anything go wrong with these headphones.  I have over driven them, thrown them around like a $10 set expecting them to break so I could justify going to get another set, and they just continue keeping on.  The only thing that needs any attention is the ear pads which I am now replacing for a measly $10.  I use these for all listening situations including music, and gaming.  I just happened to add up some of my gaming times and I came up with over a 100 days of gaming over the last 10 years (ps3) which equated to over 2400 hours of those same headphones beating out mind numbing explosions, rapid gunfire, while still able to sound harmonic while playing symphony, country, blues/jazz, country or rock.  They still sound as crisp as the day I bought them 28 years ago.

Funny thing, i remember the day I bought them and the turmoil I went through to justify spending the $85 dollars (mind you $85 back 25 years ago was like $400 today) and wondering if they would sound as good as I hoped, and last long enough for me to feel like I got my monies worth.

I am contemplating buying my next set (MDR-10BT) for travel and again wondering if they will be justified.  They don't make things like they used to, but I feel comfortable always going back to these if there is any question.
    Regards,
      Dabidoh likes this.
    1. tdotdotdot
      Question for you- Have you used these with any sort of simulated surround sound system while you were gaming? if so how did they hold up with that?   I am seriously considering getting either these or 7506s for my closed back headphones.
      tdotdotdot, Oct 25, 2015
    2. cs098
      if you want to upgrade consider getting other studio headphones that would probably last as long. Like the dt 150 from beyerdynamic or the Sennheiser hd-25.
      cs098, Oct 25, 2015
    3. Dabidoh
      Turns out that 27 years is how long I've had mine too. I keep buying other headphones hoping to find some audiophile nirvana but these continue to hold their own. My only other headphones I've kept for as long are a pair of Sennheiser HD 560 cans for when I want that open-back sound. All others haven't lived up to their marketing hype. Best thing about the V6's, besides their great fidelity, is their sensitivity. They work well even with underpowered headphone outputs. It's almost a cliche now in movies & tv that when the role is an audio engineer or dj that they're always, and I mean always wearing these. Instant credibility.
      Dabidoh, Nov 18, 2015
  8. Chu
    The best headphones for FPS games that I have found
    Written by Chu
    Published Aug 28, 2015
    Pros - The standard for 3D imaging in games
    Cons - For audio, there are better for the price
    I don't really want to talk about the use of these for music.  They were once the king under $100, and still are very good for the price -- but the best low-end headphones today would give all but a few midrange headphones of a decade or two ago a run for their money -- so it's impressive how well these have held up.  But there is just better out there for under $100 now.

That being said, over the years I've tried many popular headphones from the major brands while gaming -- and for gaming these are still by-far the best in terms of 3D positional accuracy.  If you play games like CS:GO where audio cues are absolutely vital I cannot recommend these highly enough.  Sony really needs to produce a version of these with a mic and market to the pro gaming community -- they would be incredibly well received.
    1. IAmSovereign
      You mentioned that there are much better headphones out there for under $100 now... but can you please name some? I'm new to this audiophile thing :)

Another one I've read about is the Audio Technica ATH-M50. Is that the one?
      IAmSovereign, Aug 28, 2015
    2. DBX1
      I find these to be very exceptional headphones for $100 when I purchased them 28 years ago.

Moved on since then to much higher-end headphones.  I am not certain if I still have these headphones.  I have to look and compare.
      DBX1, Feb 24, 2016
  9. SoundMan48
    Awesome phones @ any price. But for $100, WOW!
    Written by SoundMan48
    Published Jan 24, 2013
    Pros - Great Sound across the whole sound spectrum. So SMOOTH! Comfort and great soundstage.
    Cons - Absolutely None.
          I got these in the mail 2 days ago. I got a pair of Sony XB800s last week and was blown away by the sound but the soundstage and comfort weren't there. I read about the MDR V6s on this site and ordered them to compare. I was pretty sure that I'd be keeping the 800s. They sounded that good.
         I plugged in the V6s expecting less. Wow they blew away the  800s except for the bass. It's not as strong in the V6s but tighter and cleaner. (The way I like it) I've been listening to my music collection all over again so I can hear all the little things that I missed before. Everything is so clear, never cluttered, and is reproduced with such ease. The soundstage is great, like I said above no clutter, just great separation and effortless space. Crank 'em and they won't miss a beat. They are the best
          I don't usually write reviews, but I'm just so happy with these I had to.
    PS They sound OK with my phone to. The price above includes s/h and tax.

Important
         I don't listen to these without an equalizer. The sound is reproduced so perfectly that it's, ...well flat. I like to have a little punch in my music. These are a PERFECT match for an equalizer, because of the even reproduction, with the equalizer that PERFECT sound you want is there for the taking.
          Pure BEAUTY!! I can't get enough of these beauties. In my first 3 days I've logged in OVER 20 hours. Every chance I get I listen to them. I'm listening to them right now. Enough said.

Update
          I recently got the EQ app for my phone. Now they sound GREAT with the phone, not just OK.
      yannisgk likes this.
    1. MrViolin
      :) man I thought the exact same when I got these guys. Congrats on the purchase!
      MrViolin, Jan 24, 2013
  10. shrecks
    Review MDR V6 SONY
    Written by shrecks
    Published Dec 13, 2012
    Pros - great range, great detail, great build,comfortable,flat sound
    Cons - none i can think of
    These are my first pair of serious headphones if you can call it that. I am not a professional in the field , but i appreciate good detailed audio. Sony MDR V6s give u exactly that . These cans are brilliant at giving you some details that you might have never noticed with the stock headphones that most people buy out. The sound is true and very detailed . It may not be the thumpiest cans out there , but thats only because thse are studio headphones , and hence deliver flat audio. Great for appreciating how music gets produced and recorded. Very easy to tell good records using this , especially since it gives unadulterated outputs.
    1. H20Fidelity