Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones

1. Chu
    The best headphones for FPS games that I have found
    Written by Chu
    Published Aug 28, 2015
    Pros - The standard for 3D imaging in games
    Cons - For audio, there are better for the price
    I don't really want to talk about the use of these for music.  They were once the king under $100, and still are very good for the price -- but the best low-end headphones today would give all but a few midrange headphones of a decade or two ago a run for their money -- so it's impressive how well these have held up.  But there is just better out there for under $100 now.

That being said, over the years I've tried many popular headphones from the major brands while gaming -- and for gaming these are still by-far the best in terms of 3D positional accuracy.  If you play games like CS:GO where audio cues are absolutely vital I cannot recommend these highly enough.  Sony really needs to produce a version of these with a mic and market to the pro gaming community -- they would be incredibly well received.
    1. IAmSovereign
      You mentioned that there are much better headphones out there for under $100 now... but can you please name some? I'm new to this audiophile thing :)

Another one I've read about is the Audio Technica ATH-M50. Is that the one?
      IAmSovereign, Aug 28, 2015
    2. DBX1
      I find these to be very exceptional headphones for $100 when I purchased them 28 years ago.

Moved on since then to much higher-end headphones.  I am not certain if I still have these headphones.  I have to look and compare.
      DBX1, Feb 24, 2016
  2. professorwiki
    Great headphones
    Written by professorwiki
    Published Dec 31, 2013
    Pros - Solid construction overall, fold for portability, great sound
    Cons - I can tell ear pads won't last
    I reviewed the Bravo V3 amp with these headphones here , which in part ended up being a review of these headphones. I recommend reading that review as well. Here I will elaborate on how they sound outside use with the Bravo V3.

Before the V3 arrived in the mail I was using the Fiio E5 to drive the headphones. I found that while they can be driven without them well enough from my laptop, they needed a boost in order to open up the soundstage and give the bass proper impact. This is likely due to them being 63 ohm headphones, meaning they take a little more power to drive well compared to common headphone impedances like 32 ohms. I did not find that I needed the FiiO when using them with my desktop, as it has a fairly high end sound card more than capable of driving them.

As for the sound, the frequency response is amazing. Previously the two pairs of headphones I used were the Panasonic RP-HTX7 and Sennheiser HD202s. The Sennheisers are the superior of thos two headphones all around, but the Sennheiser is a little lacking in the high end. These headphones have a powerful high end. Some have found it overbearing and report sibilance, but with my set up and to my ears I heard no such thing and it did not sound overbearing, although the Fiio E5 can exaggerate the high end a little much. When using the bass boost with the E5 it can help that, however, anything bass heavy will be very distorted. This is a problem with the E5, not the headphones, which led to me buying the tube amp mentioned at the beginning of the review. In short, when using with the Bravo V3 I found these headphones to have completely wonderful sound quality.

I have read that these do not have a good sound stage. I have even read that if you try those 3D sound/binaural videos like the virtual barbershop that they won't give you the 3D illusion. This is not true. When being properly driven they have a good sound stage which replicates 3D effects.

As always, the quality of the headphones in part depends on the sound sources. I went into detail on my set up in my Bravo V3 review, so I suggest examining that in order to get an idea of how these might sound with your set up and musical preferences. However, considering I have used these with a laptop both with and without the FiiO E5, desktop, and from my AT-LP120 w/ART DJ pre ii preamp with the Fiio E5, and finally, a Sansa Fuze Mp3 player with and without the FiiO E5, I believe I have ascertained that these headphones have superior sound quality and are quite versatile, but need a little more "juice" than lower impedance headphones in order to get the best quality.

These are also very comfortable to me. The only downside is that the ear pads seem kind of thin. However, replacement pads are cheaply and easily available, and Beyerdynamic offers more expensive but nicer pads to upgrade/replace the stock ones. In time I likely will get some of these.
  3. dantelectro
    Good riddance
    Written by dantelectro
    Published Feb 10, 2013
    2.0/5,
    Pros - Good sound, affordable
    Cons - Faulty design, poor quality control, cramped packaging
    I've had 2 pairs from 2013 and they both had the same problems.

The moving parts of the headband make clicking and knocking noises. It's super annoying and I couldn't find a way to permanently fix the issue. It's a design oversight.

The pleather covering of the earpads flake, badly, as many reviewers have pointed this out. It started after a year on mine. Replacing them costs more than half the price of the headphones, and would have to be done every year. No thanks.

The sound is alright, but because of the above intolerable issues, they're useless to me.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. dantelectro
      Thanks for the tip but i don't like buds :wink:, i always prefer IEMs for portable. I stuck with my cheap EX10, i rarely use it, and not for critical listening.
      Yeah i couldn't believe the issues myself, it may seem i'm too fussy. I'm not sure it's QC, it may also be by design.
      Sony doesn't give a rat's ass about my country, and they don't have the V6 on their UK website. I'm now navigating the maze of their US support site.
      dantelectro, Apr 13, 2013
    3. Hutnicks
      Shame you don't like earbuds. The best fifty bucks you could spend on audio, period.
      Good luck with Sony, if the US site is unresponsive you might try the Japan site. I had some luck a while ago getting drivers for a USB MD player there.
      Hutnicks, Apr 13, 2013
    4. dantelectro
      The US customer service first didn't want to acknowledge my concern and gave me the usual dodgy BS, then i further explained my intentions and they said they'll "forward my message to the appropriate department" (which i suspect was really only to shake me off).
      Do they speak english at the Japan site?
      dantelectro, Apr 14, 2013
  4. shrecks
    Review MDR V6 SONY
    Written by shrecks
    Published Dec 13, 2012
    Pros - great range, great detail, great build,comfortable,flat sound
    Cons - none i can think of
    These are my first pair of serious headphones if you can call it that. I am not a professional in the field , but i appreciate good detailed audio. Sony MDR V6s give u exactly that . These cans are brilliant at giving you some details that you might have never noticed with the stock headphones that most people buy out. The sound is true and very detailed . It may not be the thumpiest cans out there , but thats only because thse are studio headphones , and hence deliver flat audio. Great for appreciating how music gets produced and recorded. Very easy to tell good records using this , especially since it gives unadulterated outputs.
    1. H20Fidelity
      Very good headphone!
      H20Fidelity, Dec 15, 2012
  5. JK1
    My V6 is also 23 years old
    Written by JK1
    Published Jan 2, 2012
    Pros - Very neutral sound. Great build quality.
    Cons - Ears get hot after a while.The only thing not built well on this headphone is the earpads. When mine gave out, I bought the Beyerdynamic velour ones.
    This headphone was my first high quality one. It sounds extremely neutral with good bass that is in proportion to the other frequenciencies. The midrange and treble also sound natural. What this headphone lacks and what you get by stepping up to the Sony V900HD(aka 7509HD) is a higher level of midrange detail. For the price though, this is an excellent value, however this is not on the level of the 7509HD or CD1000.
    1. Sylverant
      Nice, my brother's was passed down from our uncle and is from 1986. These things both sound good and really last don't they?
      Sylverant, Jan 2, 2012
  6. fe2cruz
    rugged bass heavy non-fi headphones
    Written by fe2cruz
    Published Dec 10, 2011
    2.0/5,
    Pros - loud, convenient, light, collapsible, rugged/durable, sounds better without pads
    Cons - too much bass, weak pads, poor stereo imaging
    These make everything sound huge, loud, big & boomy. But its an artificial bass sweetening that is not right for mixing, monitoring, vocals or classical music. You can decrease the bass by removing the cheap weak foam, but it still won't be flat enough for mixing. I suppose its nice for bass players, drummers or djs that want the rhythm section of a song maximized in noisy environments for beat matching and such. All the harmonics and overtones of middle and high frequencies are lost though, making vocals and strings sound like they are compressed or cut short with a pass filter or parametric eq. You'll never hear anything with reverb or spacial stereo properly either. They are very rugged and loud but not good for proper listening.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. fe2cruz
      I believe you are correct at least in that the one I own is flawed. I've done some repairs and modifications. Once I find the right pads I will re-do my review.
      fe2cruz, Feb 27, 2012
    3. takato14
      You want the right pads? Beyerdynamic EDT-231V.
      takato14, Aug 16, 2013
    4. Pheckphul
      I don't know WTF Sony did with the pads. I've had a pair for 28 years. The pads were a bit worn on the edges after ~15 years when I came across Sony replacements for $20. These lasted about two years of very little use; basically the coating of the pads disintegrated.  Based on this experience I'd say Sony changed the formula for the rubber-like coating of the pads. Also, based on the age of my MDR-V6s, I'd guess they were actually made in Japan, which probably also has something to do with how well the originals held up.
      Pheckphul, Oct 24, 2014
  7. Smiling Jack
    Great cans for $65
    Written by Smiling Jack
    Published Nov 20, 2011
    Pros - Netural sound, Folds for portability, coiled cord, comfortable for lengthy listening sessions, cord out one side
    Cons - Coil heavy for on-the-go usage, exposed wiring subjected to accidental fray/tear, earpads flake easily
    One of the best investments I've ever made.

I picked these up in B&H New York to replace my previous set, Sony MDR V150.

It's been six months since then, I can safely say that these headphones won't be leaving me anytime soon. The sound quality is neutral, as expected from Studio Monitors. The build quality is sturdy, with a thick coil for durability.

Although purely subjective, I found that burning these headphones in changed the sound signature dramatically in comparison to their coming out of the box sound.

Pick these up, whether you're for a new set of cans, or if you just want a backup pair.
    1. JamesMcProgger
      Hey, nice short review. from the V150 to the V6 was a big leap in soundquality. I think the V6 is kind at its pricerange, I dont think they are quite neutral though, but a good headphone nevertheless. and they are quite resistant, my father had a pair that lasted about 11 years.
      JamesMcProgger, Nov 20, 2011
  8. kenellenberg2
    Great starters
    Written by kenellenberg2
    Published Jul 14, 2011
    One of the better ways to get addicted to the audiophile community cheaply. Neutral and beautiful. A bit hard to power with an mp3 player, but if you are using an Ipod to start with, you probably don't care about clarity. Build quality to last, I mean they have been around forever.
  9. mxs1030
    MDR V6
    Written by mxs1030
    Published Jan 28, 2011
    Pros - Clean neutral sound, sturdy construction.
    Cons - Coiled cord gets a messy, pleather ear pads prone to wear and tear.
    Great for studio work or anything requiring accurate sound and isolation. Not the most musical of headphones, these are pretty much flat through the frequency charts. Cheap, sturdy and reliable.
  10. kem088
    23 and still going strong
    Written by kem088
    Published Jun 17, 2010
    Pros - sound awsome
    Cons - want to wear them all the time.
    Thats right they are 23 years old, and still sound great .I have taken good care of them over the years. They are everything the sony discription says they are.