Sony MDR-MA100 Over the Head Style Headphones

4.625/5,
  • 40mm driver unit reproduces powerful sound, Open-air type headphones can realize wide natural sound field, Cord: 2M

Recent Reviews

1. Sp12er3
    A perfect starter into open headset, all rounder that disappear on your head
    Written by Sp12er3
    Published Mar 20, 2016
    Pros - Flimsy but durable design, Daily headphone that's easy and comfortable to use, 3m cable giving enough leeway, disappear on you head.
    Cons - it creaks a bit when you move your head.
    Finally the erfect time to write up a review for this favorite can of mine

Build: looks flimsy and minimal, but Very durable, mine has went through more than a year and still no problem despite few times fall from bed height, cable caught on something, still come out of it scotch free, the metal cover of the driver doesn't have any visible scratches, velour pads more durable than M40x Pleather, (well of course) and more breatheable, It's also very light, headband even with no cushion rest in between the thicker part, and my head sit perfectly with no comfort problem whatsoever, no complaint from me

Sound: It has a warm signature, a bit neutral with not much of emphasis on bass and it always feel natural on any activities I use it with, whether watching movies, playing games, or listening to music.
    Bass is Laid back and enough for giving the much needed atmosphere any music needs, for movie or gaming with tons of explosion though, it may need a bit of a Bass Boost (good thing my Q1 has it) and you wont ever demand for more :)
    Mids are taking centre stage but not too intimate to make it feel unnatural, it feels like I am listening to them singing in the same room (albeit quite small one It has better soudntsage than competitors on the same price range, yes, but compared to popular AT's AD 500x,700 etc its around the same in width.
    It has rolled off treble, so if you compare it with SR60e on high notes realism like on "rain" and "applause" sound, the grado take the cake there, but I wouldn't stand watching full season of a series wearing only the Grado, M100, give me 3 and I can finish it in one sitting [​IMG], It's made for long use comfort, not critical listening with much detail, so I'd gladly accept this,

Overall I'm very satisfied with this headphone, for the price I paid it for, anyone can walk in and buy a pair for any use, piano training, watching movies late at night, or whatever, with the comfort and sound it has, I feel this is the Porta Pros of Full size open headphone, though sadly Sony's MA series is discontinued now, I think that people need take attention of it when they find it on garage sale somewhere.
  2. whitemass
    [$50 & Under Review]Perfect Price, & Moddable Joy
    Written by whitemass
    Published Apr 10, 2015
    Pros - Cheap!, Soundstage, & Bass
    Cons - Cheap Build
    Sony MDR-MA100
    Quick Notes
    "I feel these are an important staple in the world of "Lower End Headphones". They truly show that price means nothing."
    Cons -
    "Cans do feel cheap, and sound cheap when you jangle them around in your hands, you can tell they're built cheap."
    Pros -
    "Despite suffering a jangling sound from twisting them left and right, and a few slams if dropped."

Sound Quality, & What You Get for $20
    So, it's fair to assume that a lot of people outside Head-Fi would make the average comment in saying that "$20 is probably crappy quality."
    Thankfully we're Head-Fi, not the General Public!

When you get this package, the build of the case it comes in would lead you to think it's sound is poor, and they are just plain cans for a cheapo person.
    Beyond looks, and mods, these are pretty interesting.

Bass
    Some will point the finger and call these Bass Cannons, which is quite false.
    They're pumping out a lot of juice to the bass, but I'd take and say that it's pushed more towards Mid, & Upper Bass ends.

Highs
    I wanna argue that the Highs are colored, but in a manner of making them sound soft, and glistening.
    They're pretty, not scarring, and won't tear your ears out.
    Tinging isn't accurate, but it's hidden. With a glare effect that gives them an echo sounding shatter after Crash Cymbals, and Rides are hit.

Mids
    Mids are pumping.
    I mean thrusting, or forward with Upper End Bass.
    You get a slight bit of air pushed through the driver with EQ, though I don't recommend EQ'ing these.
    But mids are accurate if you can push by the airy thrusts, and bumps, though I think it gives these a characteristic.

Lows
    Low end is full of the Bass guitar solos, and lines.
    It's not an all around important part of the headphone, but it's solid structure makes sure you know they're there.
    Unfortunately there's no real detail.

My Mods
    Turtle Beach Ear Force XL1 Pads to increase comfort, I personally didn't care for the velour on them, so I put them on my M50s'.
    Picture3.jpg

Size Cups, & Cans
    Picture4.jpg
    1. Sp12er3
      wait.. I didn't know that the pad fits AT's M series... just so my M40x pads started crumbling so maybe I can swap them out after I find something to upgrade from MA100 which is my daily driver... Tried out X2 and its fantastic all rounder that's very comfortable for long use, only it has med-heavy weight, very opposite of Sony MA philosophy of minimal but durable... R70x less comfortable and more towards neutral.. tried it without my Fiio Q1, so maybe it was just too heavy back then. still trying to find a demo for MA900 (damn store closed in capital closed when I went there)... though reviews looks glorious as an upgrade... It is scarce though.
      Sp12er3, Mar 17, 2016
  3. eyal1983
    This little gem can play anything!
    Written by eyal1983
    Published Mar 12, 2015
    Pros - Natural sound!, good stage, light and comfortable, not amp. dependent, excellent cable. sounds great straight out of the box
    Cons - less comfortable than its bigger brother, and a little less magic.
    Paid around 30$ for this little gem

it has the MA900's sound signature, but at much better price and less requirements.
    It has angled drivers, which makes for a pretty good stage. it is very light, comfortable, and overall an excellent all-rounder.
    the bass is of course elevated more than it should be, but not too much (certainly not for bass-heads)
    the mids are the magic here... Ambient is so good with this one.
    the treble is rolled off, well, same as the MA900's.

While it may be a little bit less refined in comparison to its bigger brother, it is still so good... I rank it as my #1 for TV & Movies purposes.
    There wasn't even a need for a burn-in... it sounded great straight out of the box.

In short,
    - I didn't imagine i'll get so much for the 30$ (!)
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Sp12er3
      hmm... even more comfortable huh? hehe, I've read a lot of good reviews of it, and getting more and more interested... sadly, I never really found a pair locally, and only can found 1 / 2 in stock in some online stores, so I never really could audience it by myself properly... but with all the good reviews, I really need to start to pool some money to buy one. Thank you for the fast feedback :)
      Sp12er3, May 7, 2015
    3. eyal1983
      oh, i made an error
      "latter " => former! :)
      ofc. the 900 is much better
      eyal1983, May 7, 2015
    4. Sp12er3
      ah well, I know it was the other way around... well, really its a bargain for the price, anyone can just buy it on a whim and will be pleasantly surprised :)
      Sp12er3, May 7, 2015
  4. Sp12er3
    Great investment for an entry level Open Back Headphone, a proper all rounder.
    Written by Sp12er3
    Published Feb 17, 2015
    Pros - Wide soundstage, natural sound, light, comfortable, cheap headphone for the sound
    Cons - Flimsy esign, not for portable use, doesn't have any padding on the headrest, Sound Leak in and out.
    Sony MDR MA series are all particularly similar, a series of comfortable, open back headset from Sony which look very simple. I found this MA100 for sale around $25, Have been reading good reviews of the MA900, I figured I as well buy the entry level model as my first purchase in Hi-Fi Audio. I’ve been regularly using it for a week now, so I figured I try giving my review here as there’s none yet.
    Comfort: Its very Light… sometimes I forgot that I’m wearing it, if not for the Unpadded headrest… It’s an open headphone, so heat doesn’t really linger, the earpads is comfortable enough, it has an angled driver to provide room for the ear (the brother MA300 has swiveling driver that can accommodate various size of ears for enhanced comfort) Definitely the most comfortable headset I possess.
    Build: Very flimsy feeling, made from cheap Plastic that creaks when my head moved a bit (like when eating) but the music will mask that. The Fabric Ear pads is very comfortable, not prone to get dirty, and very airy.
    Sound Isolation: Is nonexistent.. Feel the same with or without the headset on… Example: I can still hear the sound of my in ear headset with 60% volume from 1M distance
    Sound Quality: As you can see, I'm a newcomer in HI-FI audio, so I can't really describe the sound signature of this as I haven’t really tried that many around the ear Headphones (only tried ATH M50x and HD 202 for few minutes each, can't give comparisons) What I can say is that It sound natural and has wide soundstage, (I say I feel like sitting in a 5*4 room).. The widest I've ever heard, as I’ve never tried any other open Headset Before... The bass is there, but not pronounced, the vocal is front, String instruments sound phenomenal... I feel satisfied listening my music collection (Mostly female vocals, pop, and acoustics) with these, especially the acoustic, I can hear what I can’t before and I feel each instruments come from slightly different direction... quite fun.
    Mobile Use: This Headset is very flimsy, so I don't really use it for mobile use, and it has 40 ohm impedance, still possible for portable use, but I need to set the volume of the music up to 8-9/10 to reach enjoyable level using my Lumia. The 3M straight cable feel solid enough, only there's no strain relief on the part that enter each left & right earpieces.. Cause of Worry. The part proximal to the divider are quite thin too, prone to get twisted a bit after storage, Cable ended in a Straight-gold plated jack that feels sturdy.
    Verdict: I think this Headphone is good for: Movie Lovers, Those looking for open headset with low budget, People tired of bass heavy headphones and doesn’t care about sound isolation.
    I feel it’s a great investment for an entry level Open back Headphone, a proper all-rounder. Definitely going to keep it and maybe make a padding for the headrest will be my first mod for this. Will be looking for a nice IEM’s for portable use J
      Sp12er3 likes this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Sp12er3
      Update: It surprisingly still held out fine, very much so even. not something I expect when I first open it up from its box, feeling flimsy. no noticeable scratch or cracks whatsoever... Definitely a durable, lightweight headphone. Its not like I'm using it too carefully either, I'm using it almost everyday and it fell from bed height quite a lot. So with durability problem nonexistent, it has comfort and lightweight as its strongest points, its an effortless headphone which I can easily wears for 6 hours straight without bothering to fix its position, its a headset that you'll forget that you're wearing. So if you ever think of needing a durable, lightweight and comfortable headset that can do any kind of music you throw at it just fine, and don't need isolation and bass emphasis that a lot of closed headphone offers, Sony MDR MA line is a safe path you may take that won't empty your wallet. Like some other headset do
    3. Sp12er3
      Sp12er3, Aug 24, 2015

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!