SIVGA SV021

General Information

Sivga-SV021-Over-ear-Close-back-Wood-Headphone-with-High-Fidelity-Sound.jpg_Q90.jpg

Sivga-SV021-Over-ear-Close-back-Wood-Headphone-with-High-Fidelity-Sd.jpg_Q90.jpg

Sivga-SV021-Ovr-ear-Close-back-Wood-Headphone-with-High-Fidelity-Sound.jpg_Q90.jpg

e36d5501c3574cc2873a327a7b5496c0.jpg

Weight275g

Latest reviews

SenyorC

Soft and Smoooooth
Pros: Comfort, aesthetics, build...
Cons: Not my preferred sound signature (but I still enjoy them)
DSC_9535.JPG

The Sivga Robin SV021 have been loaned to me by Keydis, the official distributor for Sivga and Sendy Audio (their sister brand) in Spain. They have not made any requests and my review will be as honest and unbiased as possible, but it is worth noting that these headphones have not cost me anything to try out.

Keydis do not sell directly to the public but you can find the Robin via the following stores in Spain: https://www.keydis.es/comprarsivga.html

DSC_9568.JPG

Intro...

Let me start by being totally honest, I did not think I was going to like the Sivga Robin. These are not a set of headphones that I know nothing about, in fact, I have read many reviews and seen plenty of graphs of them, which all led me to believe that I would not be a fan of them. However, even though this is a bit of a spoiler, I have actually found that I do enjoy them, even if they are exactly as I expected them to be.

Now, it is not that I had heard bad things about them, just that the descriptions and graphs pointed me to a set of headphones that doesn’t really align with my personal preferences. I will get into more details as we go through the usual review steps.

In case anyone has not come across Sivga before, they are the more budget oriented brand of Sendy Audio, a company that has released some very interesting headphones. I have reviewed another model by Sivga in the past, the Phoenix (full review here) and also a set from their more premium line, the Sendy Audio Peacock (full review here). Both of those headphones are sets that provide a very premium look to them, sith the use of leather and wood, something that the Robin also has.

But I am getting ahead of myself, so let’s get on with the review.

DSC_9582.JPG

Presentation…

The presentation of the Robin is nothing special. A black box with a sketch of the product on the cover opens to reveal the headphones, a 3.5mm TRS to dual 2.5mm TS cable, a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter and a cloth bag.

This is not a huge amount of content, nor is it really a premium presentation, but it is enough to make the headphones usable straight from the box and, let's face it, for a set of headphones that retails for less than 170€, I really can’t bring myself to complain. As always, I prefer the money to be spent on the headphones rather than the packaging.

DSC_9529.JPG

Build and aesthetics…

As with other models, Sivga opts for a build using wooden cups and (faux) leather covered headband and pads.

The Robin is also available in a lighter wood and leather finish, however, the version I have received is a dark stained wood (which is not actually as dark as online photos would suggest) and black leather. The yokes and headband are metal, finished in a dark gunmetal grey, which work well to give the headphones an overall look that I feel suggests a higher price than they actually sit at.

There is a little creaking when moving the headband around, nothing terrible but it is noticeable, and unfortunately there is no swivel in the cups, something that may be a deal breaker for some, but is actually fairly well counteracted by the pads.

The headphone pads are the softest and most comfortable pads I have ever come across on a set of headphones. They really are soft and squidgy, to the point where I keep getting people to feel them. This means that the seal is good, even without any cup swivel, but it also means that comfort is excellent. Even straight out of the box, putting these on my head felt like I had been wearing them forever, in a good way! It’s like an old pair of slippers that are just perfect.

In general, any complaints I may have had about (minor) build issues, is outweighed by the aesthetics and comfort. These really are a pleasure to wear.

DSC_9614.JPG

Sound…

As I said at the start, I was certain that I wasn’t going to like these, based on the graphs and the descriptions by other reviewers. The strange thing is that, while they sound like I expected them to, I don’t dislike them, in fact, I find that they make me feel very relaxed as soon as I put them on.

The subbass extension of the Robin is good but it is not exaggerated. There is no sign of roll off on any of my usual test tracks but there isn’t any boost either, well, at least in comparison to the lower end of the midbass. These headphones do have quite a boosted low end overall, which starts to drop off around the 200Hz mark as they make their way to the lower mids.

Tracks like “Way Down Deep”, have a deep and full bass, with some strikes that may be a little overpowering, at least for my personal tastes, but I can see this bass being impressive for a lot of people I know who like bass centric tunings. Something a little more pop orientated, like “Get Lucky”, still has that extra bass going on but somehow manages to keep it from taking over the whole sound.

This elevated low end does give the headphones quite a bit of warmth but as they drop down moving into the lower mids, it doesn’t seem to become overly bloated and undefined. The bass is not quite as clear as I would like, especially as I mainly listen to planar-magnetic headphones lately, but it doesn’t irritate me. Sometimes, when I listen to headphones with this kind of low end, I find that everything seems slow and sluggish (even if it is not the case), but the Robin don’t really leave me with that sensation.

The lower mids are fairly recessed, but do start to climb back up by the 600Hz mark, levelling out between 1kHz to 4kHz, although at a lower level than the bass areas. This means that vocals are present but they are not forward. In fact, there is a general smoothness to vocals except for a peak that follows (somewhere around 5kHz) that can make certain vocals sound a little “honky”.

My usual acoustic instrument orientated music selection actually comes across quite nicely, while not something I would consider to be tonally correct, it has a nice rounded and relaxed presentation to it. For example, “Hotel California (Live on MTV)”, is presented with fairly clean and articulate guitars, even if a little warm. The percussive hits during the intro are a little overly boomy when they start on their own, but balanced with the rest of the instruments, they no longer hog the spotlight.

Moving into the higher ranges, the extension is good but it again comes across as smooth, without seeming to be very airy or spacious. The vocals on “Hallelujah” by The Pentatonix, are sometimes surrounded a little too much by the backing vocals but I have found that I don’t hate the result. This something that does happen depending on the vocals, another example would be “These Bones”, where the deeper vocals take over the space.

There are a few occasions when there is a little too much “bite” depending on the frequencies, which can find me reaching to turn down the volume on ocasiones but to be totally honest, these headphones have tended to make me raise the volume a little more than usual. At my normal listening levels, the odd peak does not seem to appear except on very specific songs.

The soundstage is also rather small. It’s not terrible, remember that these are closed back headphones, but it is not extremely wide either. The overall presentation of images and layers is decent but not amazing. At the risk of repeating myself again, it’s all rather smooth.

DSC_9572.JPG

Conclusion…

The Sivga Robin are a set of headphones that I would consider a guilty pleasure for myself. They sound just like I would have expected them to sound, based on graphs and reviews. To use words that make no sense, I would say that they are “creamy with a little bit of spice”.

The bass is far more elevated than I would like, the recession in the lower mids is something that I would not choose, and the peak around the 5k mark is something that I would avoid.

Yet I like them.

There is something about that creamy smooth sound, with those extra soft pads, that just causes me to relax when I put them on my head. They are certainly not a set of headphones that I would choose to evaluate music, nor to focus on details and layering and all those things that I usually enjoy from headphones, they are just a set to put on, put my feet up and zone out.

I have said many times that I am not someone who enjoys overly present bass,nor extra warm sound signatures, and these are basically everything that I would say I don’t enjoy, but I do.

The whole set up, from build to comfort to sound can be collected in one word, smooth (maybe except for those peaks that can appear in the upper ranges at times). Even the “honky” sound in the upper mids/lower treble is not something that detracts from the overall package.

I really can’t find a way to explain to myself, nevermind to all of you, why I like these headphones. Sometimes we just like what we like and we should stop spending time to justify it.

At the price that these headphones come in at, they offer a very reasonable deal for a set of headphones that gives an extra flavour to the collection.

As always, this review can also be found in Spanish both on my blog (here) and on YouTube (here)

bryaudioreviews

Head-Fier
Sivga Robin "sv021" Review 🦜- an m50x alternative?
Pros: - fun warm V-shaped tuning
- instrument separation
Cons: - lethargic bloomy bass
- weird midrange dip
- resolution
- not for fast/aggressive tracks
- coherency
- borderline sibilance

INTRODUCTION:​

Following up with the success of the Sivga sv006, sv007, and the Phoenix, Sivga "sv021" Robin is Sivga's latest wooden closed-back offering at around the $150usd - $200usd price range. It features a 50mm PC+fiber Dynamic Driver that Sivga made in-house. It retails for $179usd (rm599) and it comes in 2 colour options: a smooth piano finish rosewood (brown) and a matte finish zebrawood (black).

UNBOXING AND FIRST IMPRESSIONS:​

Upon opening the box, I am presented with a carrying pouch, a quarter-inch adapter, a dual-sided 2.5mm SE cable (1.5m long), and last but not least, the headphone itself.

In terms of the build, I find the build of the Sivga Robin to be phenomenal. From its wooden earcups to its plush pleather headband cushion, you can tell that Sivga really did put their heart and soul into designing the Sivga Robin. Not to mention, the arm adjustments are made out of metal and the earpads are made out of plush pleather. The earpads are pretty spacious too, as I could fit 4 knuckles vertically and 3 knuckles horizontally into the earpads.

However, I would like to point out that there's no swivel to the earcups. This might an issue as all of us have different shaped heads. A bad fit might cause seal issues and as with most closed-back, no seal = no bass. Anyways, just pointing this out. Keep in mind that seal and fit isn't an issue for me.

Overall, pretty happy with the unboxing and build quality of the Robin. Now with that out of the way, let's start the review.

Source used:
1. iFi Zen DAC + iFi Zen CAN (iSilencer Plus + iPurifier3 + iPower + iPowerX + USB 3.0 cable + 4.4mm balanced interconnect cable)
2. Sony Zx300 (MrW WalkmanOne w/ Dawn2.1 + Plus v2 + J region)
3. Shanling M3x Limited (Apodizing fast roll-off filter)
4. Apple Dongle
5. Samsung Galaxy S9+ SE out (Exynos)

Drivability:
1. 32Ω Impedance / 105dB Sensitivity.
2. Pretty easy to drive for a headphone. My Samsung S9+ and Apple Dongle drove the Robin with ease. Drivability shouldn't be an issue here.

SOUND:​

STRENGTHS ✅:​

• The sound signature of the Robin is Warm V-shaped. In other words, bass and highs are elevated while the midrange takes a backseat. I find the tuning here to be warm, fun, and dynamic. Perfect for days where I just want to enjoy some back thumping Hip-Hop tracks while gaming/browsing the web.
  • In terms of bass, it is thick, bloomy, and deep. Bassheads will love this. I find the bass here to be authoritative, full, and fun sounding. Sub-bass extension is pretty good too as the Robin has no issues reaching down to the rumbliest of the lows. In terms of speed, it is slightly on the slower side, but not to the point where it bleeds into the mids every time. In fact, I find this "slowness" in the bass to be a plus as it gives the bass a very natural decay. This in return makes the bass sounds full, fun, and bloomy.
  • In terms of midrange, it is coloured, warm, and thick. Male vocals sound warm and thick, while Female vocals sound warm and smooth.
  • In terms of treble, it is sparkly, airy, and well-extended. However, it can be slightly bright for some which can cause some slight sibilance.

• Soundstage is wide with average depth and height. Soundstage width is pretty good for a closed-back headphone.
  • Imaging within the width plane is pretty decent. I can easily pinpoint instruments from left to right.
  • Instrument separation and layering are decent too. Thanks to the wide soundstage, instruments do not sound compressed or "in your head". Instruments are well spread out with the vocalist presented in the middle.
  • In terms of timbre, I find the lower end of the spectrum to sound pretty natural and accurate. However, I find the top end to be slightly sharper and brighter than what I would consider as "natural".

WEAKNESSES ❌:​

• The bloomy and thick bass, although fun and inviting, can get lethargic and tiring to listen to after long listening hours.
  • The weird dip in the midrange. With 80% of the songs in my playlist, this isn't an issue. However, with the remaining 20%, midrange sounds recessed and scooped out. This causes vocals to sound hollow and female vocals to sound borderline sibilant.
  • Not to mention, midrange resolution also isn't the best. The hollowness in the midrange also means that resolution suffers. If you are a midrange kind of guy, this probably isn't for you.
  • Not the best with fast genres like hard rock/metal (or aggressive/fast tracks in general) as the bloomy bass will start to bleed into the midrange.
  • Coherency isn't the best as I find the top end to be faster and snappier than the slower bloomy low end. This is very apparent with the 20% of music that it doesn't work well with as the dip in the midrange just further emphasizes the incoherency.
  • Treble is borderline sibilance at times. Most notable with the midrange dip.

COMPARISONS:​

1. SIVGA ROBIN VS ATH-M50X:​

• M50x is tighter, faster and brighter sounding than the Sivga Robin. In terms of tonality, Bass has lesser bloom and quantity than Robin (but is tighter more aggressive), midrange is slightly more forward, lower midrange isn't as full, upper midrange is brighter, and treble is sharper, harsher than Sivga Robin. In terms of technicalities, soundstage is smaller and more intimate, instrument separation is more compressed, and imaging is more "in your head". Timbre isn't as natural.
  • Overall, I would consider Sivga Robin as an upgrade over the m50x. Other than the slower bass, the Robin is an upgrade over the m50x in every way.

2. SIVGA ROBIN VS K371:​

• K371 is overall flatter, leaner, and more neutral sounding. Bass leaner, more sub-bass focused, isn't as thick and bloomy as the Robin, midrange is much more forward, flat, and resolving. Treble is smoother, less airy and less sparkly. In terms of technicalities, soundstage is narrower in width but much better depth and height, instrument separation is better, imaging is more accurate, resolution is noticeably better, top end timbre is more natural and coherency is better.
  • Overall, Robin is better in terms of bass, dynamics, and soundstage width, but k371 has the better midrange, tonal balance, and resolution.

Here's a simplified technical breakdown of the 3 headphones below.

SIVGA ROBIN VS ATH-M50X VS AKG K371:​

• Bass: Robin > m50x > k371
  • Mids: k371 >>> Robin = m50x
  • Highs: k371 > Robin > m50x
  • Soundstage: Robin = k371 >> m50x (Robin has better width while k371 has better depth)
  • Layering: k371 >> Robin > m50x
  • Imaging: k371 > Robin >> m50x
  • Timbre: k371 > Robin > m50x
  • Detail/Resolution: k371 >>> Robin = m50x
  • Dynamics: Robin >> m50x > k371
  • Value: k371 > Robin > m50x

IN CONCLUSION:​

The Sivga "sv021" Robin is a good upgrade over the infamous ATH-m50x with better bass, treble, instrument separation, soundstage, and almost everything else (expect for bass speed).

However, the weird dip in the midrange is something to take note of as it might be a deal-breaker for you. If you live near an audio store like Stars Picker Audio Library 摘星知音, I would highly recommend you to drop by and give these a try as the midrange dip might not be for everyone.
All in all, if you are looking for a sub-$200usd closed-back headphone with a stylish design, great comfort, solid build, and a fun dynamic sound, feel free to give the Sivga Robin a try.

Thank you Stars Picker Audio Library 摘星知音 and SIVGA for sending the Sivga Robin over. This review unit is provided by them as part of their Malaysian Sivga Robin review tour. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Interested in getting the Sivga Robin? Here are the links:

Last edited:
Reactions: theMUKe

SHOOTINGTECHIE

SIVGA SV021 / ROBIN- NEEDS SOME MAGIC FORMULA TO SHINE
Pros: Midbass is energetic
Vocals are good especially in the case of male vocals
Great layering
Good space around instruments
Notes separation is okayish
Okayish timbre
Good stage depth and okayish depth
Cons: Sub-bass light
Mids congested
Instruments have bad separation
No height OR good width
No notes height difference
Details are average
No air in treble
Notes heights differences
SIVGA SV021 / ROBIN- NEEDS SOME MAGIC FORMULA TO SHINE.

SIVGA
is a new chifi player in the audiophile headphone space and to be honest, I haven’t tried any of their headphones till now. But today, that changes and we are going to review their newest cheap 😉 offering – THE SIVGA SV021/ ROBIN.

DISCLAIMER- THIS UNIT BELONGS TO MY FRIEND @suman134 AND thanks to him, I get the time to review it. Well as always, the opinions are mine alone and not influenced by friendship
😋 haha! 🤣

• Jacks- 2.5mm dual
PRICE-
149$ / 14500 INR

UNBOXING-
Not much just a carry bag and inside is a synthetic wood cups headphone with a beautiful black long cable and a 3.5 to 6.35 adapter. The pics will describe the rest.

sivga (3 of 9).jpg

BUILD AND COMFORT-
Given the price of this headphone, its build great. The synthetic wooden cups look great but they are not scratch proof haha!!! The headband is bleh and it’s a destructive one like that of focal, it will get ruined for sure within few months so headband cover is a must. The comfort is great as the cups are quite big and hold my entire ear nicely. These are though very light hence, very comfy for long sessions. The cups have a 2.5mm connection 😐

sivga (6 of 9).jpg

CABLE-
Cable is pretty decent for the price and quite long overall and ends with a 3.5 mm jack. The black fabric sleeve of the cable has got some microphonics but hopefully will last longer than the HIFIMAN cable. Good thing is that they have a spring at the end of the jack and hence won’t get twisted. It’s a dual 2.5mm to 3.5m cable btw 😐.

sivga (2 of 9).jpg

OTHER ACCESSORIES-
  • A bag
  • A 3.5 to 6.35 adapter
POWAH REQUIRED-

Not much required, even H gain and 25-35 volume on N6ii with R01 was good enough. Though the pairing wasn’t that great. T01 was a much better pair with addition of more details and energy required. Sub-bass lift was also felt more might be because of the definition of notes being improved.

NOTE- This HEADPHONE is used with-
  • N6ii and T01 module & R01(mostly T01 since it adds more energy and details to the headphone and also better wider and taller stage) for portable on chair listening experience for the most part of the review.
  • On desktop- N6ii LO and A30s (Burson V5i D) and XDUOO MT602 Sylvania tubes (not such a beautiful pairing but then low gain on N6ii and also volume at 08 but I would stay since it becomes a beautiful entity but this requires a better silver cable !!!😁) has been used.
  • Sometimes LG G8x as phone source.
  • Review, I already wrote using R01 as my DAC but later when I tried the T01 it’s a good combo, so brighter DAC’s are preferred here.
sivga (8 of 9).jpg

NOW COMING ON TO THE SOUND OF THE SIVGA ROBIN/ SV021- (This is subjective and your opinions may vary)

SUB-BASS-

Sub Bass is decent at best. There is good tonality and minimal rumble but it does feel spacious. There is good note separation but sub-bass texture is missing. Tonality is slightly on the warmer side but tonal accuracy is quite good. Not much dynamics in the notes though and they don't go much deeper into the sub-bass region, so feels a little bit constrained for a closed back headphone.

BASS-

Bass is pretty good. There's good punch and overall energy in the bass. Not a lot of dynamism but the tonality is warm with slightly more emphasis on body of the notes. The notes have a big slow body with good beginning definition but the edge definition is not that great. The tonal accuracy is good but slightly off when the fast hits are considered. Instrument separation is not that great but the spacing around the instruments is present. Notes separation is average though overall.

sivga (5 of 9).jpg

MIDS-
Vocals are pretty good for the headphone but it’s a slightly warmish tonality. The vocal timbre is great but the female vocals don’t reach that extension in the notes that it should. There is no sibilance in the notes of the vocals and they lack a bit of air in the vocals. Male vocals have a good amount of weight behind them and it’s a pretty good listen. The dynamics in notes are slightly less though.

Instruments in the mids have great tonality which is still slightly warmish. There is good energy in the mids and they have good separation. The notes have great beginning definition with great body but lack edge definition. Instruments are not that well separated and feels congested, but have a space around them completely. But the notes are not that much separated. They notes have good tonal accuracy and okayish timbre. Lower mids are awesome for the price, but upper mids lack the needed energy and sparkle for it to shine.

TREBLE-

The treble is something this headphone does provide the energy for that but has no sparkle to get you off your seats. It’s a little smooth for me and lacks the sparkle of hi-hats, cymbals, electronic guitars etc and other metallic instruments. But wind instruments are pretty great for what they provide and just hits the right spot. There is much separation in the notes but instruments lack the separation in width and seems to have a small bubble around them in the stage sometimes overlapping one another. Though this is countered by the good layering among the instruments (more on that in the Head stage). Notes don’t have that dynamism to hold your attention and provide you the sparkle it requires. But the notes definition is pretty great except the edges. The timbre is good too and a warmish tonality is presented overall. Not much air in the treble region also.

sivga (4 of 9).jpg

HEADSTAGE AND IMAGING-

Head stage is not much wide but for a closed back it’s okayish. There’s no proper height in the head stage and also the lacks good depth (-ve Y axis). But it has a good layering that helps even when the instruments have bad separation among them by placing them front and back. Imaging is decent for a closed back. It has good diffused imaging but great directional accuracy. It’s a V shaped headphone though mostly.

SEPARATION AND TRANSPARENCY-

Separation is not that great in between the instruments. They feel congested and overlapping sometimes but the layering does give a space around them which is this guy’s saving grace. Transparency is okayish. The details are okay for the price but the dynamics are constricted of the nuances.

sivga (7 of 9).jpg

PAIRING-

This will require a brighter and details heavy source to completely shine through. With T01 there was better separation and mids congestion slightly removed to make it a better listen. There is more treble energy and the proper ‘v’ shape of the headphone stage comes out. The Female vocals have now better extension too. Sub-bass is still very light but the bass is now more controlled and punchier. R01 don’t use with this.

Fits inside a focal case too haha!!!

sivga (1 of 9).jpg

COMPARISON-

HD58x

Way more separated
More details
More beautiful timbre
Bass is energetic
Wider staging
Great treble extension and energy
More balanced
Sub-bass light
Needed powahh

SHP 9600-

More energetic
Taller headstage
More bass and sub-bass
Separation around instruments is better
Better details
Timbre is decent
Not too wide
Might be bright for some in treble and upper mids
It does leak sound as its open back
Less comfy

SIVGA SV021

Midbass is energetic
Vocals are good especially in the case of male vocals
Great layering
Good space around instruments
No sound leak since its a closed back
Okayish timbre
Good stage depth and okayish depth
Mids congested
Instruments have bad separation
No height OR good width
Details are average

sivga (9 of 9).jpg

SUMMARY-
For a closed back this doesn’t set a bar. Some open backs have greater bass quantity and warmish feel than this while maintaining a wide stage and keeping the treble great. Even though this does some things great but still for the price, it’s not that good, check for a good price at around 60-80$ and then you can buy it for the sole purpose of background music when you are working, with utmost comfort.

Comments

scottsays

100+ Head-Fier
Just got mine from Amazon----have had them on for 5 minutes now----all I can say is they are absolutely gorgeous looking and are extremely comfortable so far--light as a feather , the pads are like pillows on the ears, obviously time will tell if this will remain the case but so far these are the most comfortable headphones I have EVER worn-seriously.
Sound----need to be broken in--they are a $ 150 pair of headphones--I would go with the above video review--so far I can tell they are very clean and detailed--no doubt--when they break in I think they will fill in and be really good. So far I am VERY pleased.
I have a balanced cable from a Thieaudio Phantom Planar that fits the jacks so have 2.5 mm balanced all set up----one of the reasons I was not hesitant to buy. The stock 3.5 cable is very good---high quality-----I say this is a very good buy for the price.

Well built--really gorgeous---super light weight--cannot express how comfortable these are--and have full confidence they will break in and sound really good. I love the Phoenix I purchased a few months ago and 10 minutes in I can safely say these are a winner for the price-----I am very happy with these! 😎

scottsays

100+ Head-Fier
After breaking them in all weekend----these are excellent, certainly a bargain in the $ 150 price range. Rich, smooth, clean--COMFORTABLE, well built and really snazzy looking. I say another homerun for Sivga---
Would LOVE to be able to get these earpads for other models--seriously--these are the most comfortable earpards/earphones ever-----
Hard to believe this kind of quality is available for such a low price-(in terms of audiophile dollars).
I will others who are better describe the sound do a in depth review--all I can say that i am very well pleased with the purchase and am enjoying these VERY much--nothing but praise at this price point---satisfied. 😋

voja

500+ Head-Fier
Everyone, the black version has been released. Holy crap are they pretty!

Seledor

New Head-Fier
Ive been thinking about getting this headphone. looks awesome. but the thing about these asian and Sivga headphones is they look good in the pictures, but when you get them they are very small. i dont want another pair of small headphone i have to cram my ears into like the 00's.

voja

500+ Head-Fier
It would be worth asking people who already have them. I know @RikudouGoku should have one coming his way very soon.