SIVGA SV021

General Information

Sivga-SV021-Over-ear-Close-back-Wood-Headphone-with-High-Fidelity-Sound.jpg_Q90.jpg

Sivga-SV021-Over-ear-Close-back-Wood-Headphone-with-High-Fidelity-Sd.jpg_Q90.jpg

Sivga-SV021-Ovr-ear-Close-back-Wood-Headphone-with-High-Fidelity-Sound.jpg_Q90.jpg

e36d5501c3574cc2873a327a7b5496c0.jpg

Latest reviews

tinkererGCH

New Head-Fier
from Denon AH-D7000 to Denon AH-D7200 to Sivga Robin SV021
Pros: Sivga Robin SV021:
- very soft and "fluffy" earpads, makes it very comfortable to wear the Sivga for many hours.
- light, but durable
- good materials
- good cable and just long enough, not too long
- costwise cheap
- soundwise very good, just keep and want to keep on listening to music
Cons: None for that price and quality and comfort
I had / have a pair of Denon AH-D7000 since 2012, which I used rarely with my Hifi System and enjoyed the sound alot.
One day the right side did not make any sound, not even noise, or scratch etc. Brought to a hifi shop and was told the right driver is kaputt, and there are no replacmenet parts. (I do not believe them that they opened and tested them, but cannot proof it).
I found brand new Denon AH-D7200 for a good price and ordered them. I also check several reviews on over-ear headphones and stumbled on Sivga Robin SV021 by Z-Reviews. He just kept complainig that there is nothing to complain about that headphones and they are just fun to listen. So I ordered one and compared to the Denon AH-D7200 they sound for my personal opinion much better, brighter clear, good in bass, great in vocals. The Denon AH-D7200 is more like "Etiquette in a fancy club" ".. hmm sir would you mind to listen to some good music.." and is still holding back. While the Sivga Robin SV021 are just say "... Lets have some FUN..."

Jarlaxle

100+ Head-Fier
Solid Build, Good Materials, Great Comfort and Budget Friendly Price but, What About the Sound?
Pros: Very Well Built with Quality Materials
Easily Likeable V-Shaped Sound Signature
Pretty Good Sound Stage
Extremely Comfortable
Cons: Too Warm in Other Words Thick Sound Will not Suit to Everyone or Every Music Genre
Not Very Technically Capable
Isolation is Just OK for a Closed Back
Mids are Sucked Out and It Feels Unnatural in Some Songs
Sivga SV021 Robin

SV021 Robin is Sivga’s Closed Back headphone that is targeted toward more budget concious consumers. Their MSRP is 179$ but usually sold at 149$. Sivga recently released Oriole which is sold for 199$. I’m not sure if they are supposed to replace SV021 but for now that doesn’t seem to be the case. Unfortunately, I don’t have Oriole so this review does not consist of the two models’ comparison but if we get a pair in the future, we will try to update this one too.

You can also read the full review at mobileaudiophile.

Disclaimers​

Without boring you too much, I don’t necessarily have a sound preference. I tend to enjoy different sound profiles as long as they do well at what they intend to do. I try to be critic in my reviews but I might be somewhat biased one way or another (Recency bias, buyer’s bias etc.). Please keep these in mind. Also, I bought Sivga SV021 Robin as well as other headphones mentioned here with my own money. If a unit I reviewed is given or loaned to me in the future, I will say so here.

Build, Comfort and Trivia​

SV021 Robin is my second pair of Sivga headphones I owned and reviewed (you can also check out my Sivga Phoenix Review here) and the third I owned if you take Sendy Peacocks into the account. All the Sendy headphones, as far as I know, are planar magnetic. Sivgas on the other hand, mostly dynamic drivers except P-II which is also a planar magnetic Like all the Sivgas, SV021s very well built with wood, leather and metal. Of course, in this case leather is probably synthetic but still earpads and headband is so soft that you don’t want to put them off even if you don’t listen to music. Pads are made from soft memory foam. In the box, they only included 1.6m long single ended cable with fabric coating, 6.35mm jack adapter and a carrying pouch as accessories.

Technical Specifications​

Driver Type: Dynamic
Driver Diameter: 50 mm
Frequency Response: 20 – 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 105 +/- 3 dB
Impedance: 32 Ohm +/- 15%
Weight: 275g

Sound​

SV021 Robins have a V-Shaped sound signature that is not very generic. They are not correct sounding but not very offensive either.

Bass​

Bass is the most prominent part of SV021 Robins’ sound signature. They have decent subbass extension. However, you would expect such quantity would rock your socks off which is not the case. Robins are quite gentle. I had Meze 99 Noirs for a while and I expected these to be similar. I was wrong. SV021 Robins sound warm, even thick but they don’t hit hard. More like they push or try to shove you but there is not much force behind it. Maybe I’m spoiled with better headphones and IEMs but this is how I felt with SV021s’ bass.

Mids​

Bass bleeds into the mids, well it is more than bleed, it invades the mids so you end up with thick sounding headphones. Then it gets sucked out somewhere which causes unevenness in some songs. Modern genres are relatively safe but complex songs suffer from this quite often.

Treble​

Like most of the V-Shaped headphones, SV021 Robins are bright up top. They can get sibilant and grating quite easily in higher volumes. Also, you can come across sudden peaks even when you think you are listening in a relatively safe volume. To be honest I had one the worst Gangsta’s Paradise experiences with their mushy bass and tiring treble.

Technical Performance​

I’m not sure what to say here. I don’t think the drivers are particularly capable, then again, they can also be held back with this kind of tuning. Alhough SV021 Robins sound wider than the usual closed backs, they are not particularly wide. Notes sound like they linger more than necessary, which can be also a good thing if you like it. They are not very resolving but, you may hear some details you haven’t before and you may not hear some details you are familiar with. This aspect can be attributed to bright treble and recessed mids of SV021 Robins’. Their warm nature also hampers the clarity quite noticeably. All in all, they are weird more than they are bad.

All the Contents

Quick Comparisons​

I couldn’t find a fair closed-back rival to compare for SV021 Robins to be honest. My Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros and Dekoni Blues are both modified. So just for comparisons sake I pulled out my Fostex TH610s. They have a warm neutral sound signature which is quite different from SV021 Robins’. But this may also serve as to decide SV021s’ alignment.

Sivga SV021 Robin vs. Fostex TH610​

• Although both are easily driven, TH610s are harder to drive.
  • Neither isolate sound very well due to their vented structure.
  • Sound quality difference is easily noticeable. TH610 sounds more correct.
  • SV021 much more bassier, warmer and thicker, TH610 more neutral. But TH-610s bass is somehow more satisfying. There is more definition and texture to it. SV021 is kind of mushy.
  • SV021 also has more subbass which is not surprising.
  • Mids are more forward on TH-610. Female vocals sound lovely but borderline shouty at the same time.
  • TH610 is also bright in the upper frequencies and can get sibilant like other Fostex headphones but not as much as SV021.
  • In all technical aspects TH610 is superior, they are clearer, wider, more resolving and separation of instruments is much better. Then again, Sv021 and TH610 are in different price ranges and have different sound signatures.
with Fostex TH610

Conclusion​

Sivga SV021 Robins are decent headphones, or good headphones considering their price. No other closed back headphones come to my mind those are as well built as these. If, at least one of the negatives I mentioned was absent they would be an easy recommendation from me at their price. However, I cannot recommend these to everyone as they are. If you are on a budget, looking for a pair of decent closed back headphones, comfort is very important for you or you are not listening to your music critically I’d recommend these. Otherwise, you need to expend a little more.
Reactions: BenF
gargani
gargani
Good review.

SenyorC

Soft and Smoooooth
Pros: Comfort, aesthetics, build...
Cons: Not my preferred sound signature (but I still enjoy them)
DSC_9535.JPG

The Sivga Robin SV021 have been loaned to me by Keydis, the official distributor for Sivga and Sendy Audio (their sister brand) in Spain. They have not made any requests and my review will be as honest and unbiased as possible, but it is worth noting that these headphones have not cost me anything to try out.

Keydis do not sell directly to the public but you can find the Robin via the following stores in Spain: https://www.keydis.es/comprarsivga.html

DSC_9568.JPG

Intro...

Let me start by being totally honest, I did not think I was going to like the Sivga Robin. These are not a set of headphones that I know nothing about, in fact, I have read many reviews and seen plenty of graphs of them, which all led me to believe that I would not be a fan of them. However, even though this is a bit of a spoiler, I have actually found that I do enjoy them, even if they are exactly as I expected them to be.

Now, it is not that I had heard bad things about them, just that the descriptions and graphs pointed me to a set of headphones that doesn’t really align with my personal preferences. I will get into more details as we go through the usual review steps.

In case anyone has not come across Sivga before, they are the more budget oriented brand of Sendy Audio, a company that has released some very interesting headphones. I have reviewed another model by Sivga in the past, the Phoenix (full review here) and also a set from their more premium line, the Sendy Audio Peacock (full review here). Both of those headphones are sets that provide a very premium look to them, sith the use of leather and wood, something that the Robin also has.

But I am getting ahead of myself, so let’s get on with the review.

DSC_9582.JPG

Presentation…

The presentation of the Robin is nothing special. A black box with a sketch of the product on the cover opens to reveal the headphones, a 3.5mm TRS to dual 2.5mm TS cable, a 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter and a cloth bag.

This is not a huge amount of content, nor is it really a premium presentation, but it is enough to make the headphones usable straight from the box and, let's face it, for a set of headphones that retails for less than 170€, I really can’t bring myself to complain. As always, I prefer the money to be spent on the headphones rather than the packaging.

DSC_9529.JPG

Build and aesthetics…

As with other models, Sivga opts for a build using wooden cups and (faux) leather covered headband and pads.

The Robin is also available in a lighter wood and leather finish, however, the version I have received is a dark stained wood (which is not actually as dark as online photos would suggest) and black leather. The yokes and headband are metal, finished in a dark gunmetal grey, which work well to give the headphones an overall look that I feel suggests a higher price than they actually sit at.

There is a little creaking when moving the headband around, nothing terrible but it is noticeable, and unfortunately there is no swivel in the cups, something that may be a deal breaker for some, but is actually fairly well counteracted by the pads.

The headphone pads are the softest and most comfortable pads I have ever come across on a set of headphones. They really are soft and squidgy, to the point where I keep getting people to feel them. This means that the seal is good, even without any cup swivel, but it also means that comfort is excellent. Even straight out of the box, putting these on my head felt like I had been wearing them forever, in a good way! It’s like an old pair of slippers that are just perfect.

In general, any complaints I may have had about (minor) build issues, is outweighed by the aesthetics and comfort. These really are a pleasure to wear.

DSC_9614.JPG

Sound…

As I said at the start, I was certain that I wasn’t going to like these, based on the graphs and the descriptions by other reviewers. The strange thing is that, while they sound like I expected them to, I don’t dislike them, in fact, I find that they make me feel very relaxed as soon as I put them on.

The subbass extension of the Robin is good but it is not exaggerated. There is no sign of roll off on any of my usual test tracks but there isn’t any boost either, well, at least in comparison to the lower end of the midbass. These headphones do have quite a boosted low end overall, which starts to drop off around the 200Hz mark as they make their way to the lower mids.

Tracks like “Way Down Deep”, have a deep and full bass, with some strikes that may be a little overpowering, at least for my personal tastes, but I can see this bass being impressive for a lot of people I know who like bass centric tunings. Something a little more pop orientated, like “Get Lucky”, still has that extra bass going on but somehow manages to keep it from taking over the whole sound.

This elevated low end does give the headphones quite a bit of warmth but as they drop down moving into the lower mids, it doesn’t seem to become overly bloated and undefined. The bass is not quite as clear as I would like, especially as I mainly listen to planar-magnetic headphones lately, but it doesn’t irritate me. Sometimes, when I listen to headphones with this kind of low end, I find that everything seems slow and sluggish (even if it is not the case), but the Robin don’t really leave me with that sensation.

The lower mids are fairly recessed, but do start to climb back up by the 600Hz mark, levelling out between 1kHz to 4kHz, although at a lower level than the bass areas. This means that vocals are present but they are not forward. In fact, there is a general smoothness to vocals except for a peak that follows (somewhere around 5kHz) that can make certain vocals sound a little “honky”.

My usual acoustic instrument orientated music selection actually comes across quite nicely, while not something I would consider to be tonally correct, it has a nice rounded and relaxed presentation to it. For example, “Hotel California (Live on MTV)”, is presented with fairly clean and articulate guitars, even if a little warm. The percussive hits during the intro are a little overly boomy when they start on their own, but balanced with the rest of the instruments, they no longer hog the spotlight.

Moving into the higher ranges, the extension is good but it again comes across as smooth, without seeming to be very airy or spacious. The vocals on “Hallelujah” by The Pentatonix, are sometimes surrounded a little too much by the backing vocals but I have found that I don’t hate the result. This something that does happen depending on the vocals, another example would be “These Bones”, where the deeper vocals take over the space.

There are a few occasions when there is a little too much “bite” depending on the frequencies, which can find me reaching to turn down the volume on ocasiones but to be totally honest, these headphones have tended to make me raise the volume a little more than usual. At my normal listening levels, the odd peak does not seem to appear except on very specific songs.

The soundstage is also rather small. It’s not terrible, remember that these are closed back headphones, but it is not extremely wide either. The overall presentation of images and layers is decent but not amazing. At the risk of repeating myself again, it’s all rather smooth.

DSC_9572.JPG

Conclusion…

The Sivga Robin are a set of headphones that I would consider a guilty pleasure for myself. They sound just like I would have expected them to sound, based on graphs and reviews. To use words that make no sense, I would say that they are “creamy with a little bit of spice”.

The bass is far more elevated than I would like, the recession in the lower mids is something that I would not choose, and the peak around the 5k mark is something that I would avoid.

Yet I like them.

There is something about that creamy smooth sound, with those extra soft pads, that just causes me to relax when I put them on my head. They are certainly not a set of headphones that I would choose to evaluate music, nor to focus on details and layering and all those things that I usually enjoy from headphones, they are just a set to put on, put my feet up and zone out.

I have said many times that I am not someone who enjoys overly present bass,nor extra warm sound signatures, and these are basically everything that I would say I don’t enjoy, but I do.

The whole set up, from build to comfort to sound can be collected in one word, smooth (maybe except for those peaks that can appear in the upper ranges at times). Even the “honky” sound in the upper mids/lower treble is not something that detracts from the overall package.

I really can’t find a way to explain to myself, nevermind to all of you, why I like these headphones. Sometimes we just like what we like and we should stop spending time to justify it.

At the price that these headphones come in at, they offer a very reasonable deal for a set of headphones that gives an extra flavour to the collection.

As always, this review can also be found in Spanish both on my blog (here) and on YouTube (here)

Comments

scottsays

100+ Head-Fier
Just got mine from Amazon----have had them on for 5 minutes now----all I can say is they are absolutely gorgeous looking and are extremely comfortable so far--light as a feather , the pads are like pillows on the ears, obviously time will tell if this will remain the case but so far these are the most comfortable headphones I have EVER worn-seriously.
Sound----need to be broken in--they are a $ 150 pair of headphones--I would go with the above video review--so far I can tell they are very clean and detailed--no doubt--when they break in I think they will fill in and be really good. So far I am VERY pleased.
I have a balanced cable from a Thieaudio Phantom Planar that fits the jacks so have 2.5 mm balanced all set up----one of the reasons I was not hesitant to buy. The stock 3.5 cable is very good---high quality-----I say this is a very good buy for the price.

Well built--really gorgeous---super light weight--cannot express how comfortable these are--and have full confidence they will break in and sound really good. I love the Phoenix I purchased a few months ago and 10 minutes in I can safely say these are a winner for the price-----I am very happy with these! 😎

scottsays

100+ Head-Fier
After breaking them in all weekend----these are excellent, certainly a bargain in the $ 150 price range. Rich, smooth, clean--COMFORTABLE, well built and really snazzy looking. I say another homerun for Sivga---
Would LOVE to be able to get these earpads for other models--seriously--these are the most comfortable earpards/earphones ever-----
Hard to believe this kind of quality is available for such a low price-(in terms of audiophile dollars).
I will others who are better describe the sound do a in depth review--all I can say that i am very well pleased with the purchase and am enjoying these VERY much--nothing but praise at this price point---satisfied. 😋

voja

500+ Head-Fier
Everyone, the black version has been released. Holy crap are they pretty!

Seledor

New Head-Fier
Ive been thinking about getting this headphone. looks awesome. but the thing about these asian and Sivga headphones is they look good in the pictures, but when you get them they are very small. i dont want another pair of small headphone i have to cram my ears into like the 00's.

voja

500+ Head-Fier
It would be worth asking people who already have them. I know @RikudouGoku should have one coming his way very soon.