1. techinblack
    Best in class
    Written by techinblack
    Published Mar 3, 2019
    Pros - Design and build quality
    Perfect tuning
    Cable
    Tips (even without foams)
    Price
    Cons - Particular 2-pin housing (it may be difficult to find third parts cables)
    Specifications:

• Transducer unit: 10mm high magnetic composite dynamic driver

• Diaphragm: Polymer composite titanium-plated diaphragm

• Frequency response: 15Hz-40kHz

• Sensitivity: ≥101dB (at 1000Hz)

• Impedance: 16Ω

• Distortion: <1% 101dB(20μpa)

• Channel imbalance: <1.5dB(at 1000Hz)

• Rated power: 10mW
    Where to buy (non affiliate link): https://www.amazon.com/SIMGOT-Headphones-Detachable-Cancelling-Smartphones/dp/B07LG83LML

This review can also be found on my website here: https://www.techinblack.it/audio1/2019/2/20/simgot-em1-review

Unboxing and first impressions
    As you can see, the difference between the boxes is noticeable: I liked the rational small white box of the MT3, but this bigger black one of EM1 is classy and more elegant. There’s a High-Res certification and some black-on-black pictures and specifications on the various faces of the box: I like this style, but I have to say it’s a bit difficult to read what’s written.

[​IMG]

As always, we find a soft carrying pouch with a good number of silicon eartips: 3 wide bore ones, 3 small bore ones. They really change the sound a lot, so be careful to try them all before judging the set. Like on the MT3, I prefer using the wide bore tips, because the sound is more balanced and less “boomy” than the sound provided with the others. It’s nice to see a description of how the sound changes depending on the eartips used, not just because they help with your choice, but because it’s very accurate. Unfortunately, there aren’t any foam tips, but the nozzle is pretty standard: I’ve tried both the Tin HiFi foams and the NiceHCK foams and they all fit very stably. The cable is really good: the same as MT3, a really well-made braided one. It’s oxygen free, 4 core, 6N of purity; a standard single-ended 3.5mm gold-plated jack and 2-pin 0.78mm connectors for the buds. There are pre-curved hooks and they are very comfortable, and there’s a chin slider too. The IEMs themselves come in a beautiful choice of colors: even though you can buy an all-black model, mine has the right earbud in red and the left one in blue. This makes it way easier to recognize which way to wear them. And the eartips are red/blue too, so it’s a beautiful touch. The buds are made of metal and plastic and they are actually the best plastic earphones I’ve ever tried regarding the build quality. It’s a translucent colored plastic, so you can still see the internals: you can notice the dynamic driver, which is the only one used in this set. The nozzle and parts of the faceplate are made of metal. There are some elegant writings. Overall, design wise this set is one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

My sources: FiiO M7, Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 with Zorloo ZuperDAC-S as DAC/Amp, MacBook Pro 2012 with Focusrite 2i2

My files: DSD, FLAC, ALAC, MP3, M4A

My music: “Colour the Small One” by Sia, “Djesse Vol.1” by Jacob Collier, “Where are You?” by Frank Sinatra, “Ghost Stories” by Coldplay, “O” by Damien Rice, and many other tracks by Queen, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Radiohead, Jack Garratt…

[​IMG]

When you try a lot of earphones, it’s difficult to get surprised: some sets have a good tuning, but they lack of detail, or vice versa. Some others have a really good bass, but they fall on mids and highs; it’s difficult to find a 360° convincing IEM, because brands obviously have to aim at a particular feature, especially on the budget area. Well, for my taste, this is one of the most convincing earphones under 100$. I may say this now is my favorite IEM.

Usually, when I start trying an earphone, I immediately understand a general tuning of it. Whether it’s a flat one or a “V” one, a balanced or a flat. In this case I needed more time to understand. First, I thought this was a warm set. Because bass sounded very punchy, quick, perfectly controlled with a dark background. Then I thought this was a bright set, because I started hearing some sparkles and a slight sibilance. So, I started thinking about a classic V-shaped signature, but I heard no evident fall on mids. Well, this became a really interesting set. I’d say, after listening to them for some time, that I’d remain with the initial impression of a dark background: the overall bass area is solid and gives warmness to the scene. That being said, the treble is surprisingly capable with a great detail and some sparkles, which however don’t bother me, as a really treble-sensitive person. I still hear some sibilance, which it’s not a characteristic of this set, but it’s an evidence of some not-so-well recorded songs: exactly like on Tin HiFi T3. Mids are great: I think they are slightly recessed, because the final impression I have is having a smooth U-shaped signature, which isn’t lacking of body nor lacking of air, though. I hear a very good separation between instruments and a pretty airy sound, with good detail and resolution. Soundstage is average: it doesn’t feel very wide, but neither inside your head. It’s something close to holographic which however doesn’t give the impression of a “virtualization”. And imaging, through this perceived small room, is actually pretty accurate.

To summarize: bass is very well-extended on the sub-bass area, present but controlled, punchy and pleasant. Mids are clear, with airy vocals and a good layering between instruments. Treble is solid and absolutely not rolled off, with a precise and analytical feel. Soundstage is average in width and depth, but imaging is really believable.

Comparisons

Simgot Meeture MT3: while they share the same accessories, materials and build quality, sound wise they are pretty different. Depending on the tips, MT3 can sound really V-shaped (small bore) or mid-centric (wide bore). EM1 are more balanced and provide an overall signature that’s more classic and pleasant. I could recommend the MT3 to singers for their live stages; but I can really recommend the EM1 to anyone, whether for music listening or music production or exibitions. These are really solid universal IEMs with no compromises.

Tin HiFi T3: when I said that most of the times brands need to make decisions, I meant that earphones like Tin T3 are amazing under certain ways, but average on some others. T3 are fantastic if you need detail, they have a really good bass yet remaining bright and they absolutely don’t fall on mids. And they have the best cable on a budget, too. But they are less comfortable to wear and more fatiguing to listen to. I feel that EM1 are more cohesive in their frequency distribution – but it’s easily because of their only dynamic driver, while T3 are a hybrid solution. I personally choose EM1: they may be meant for a more casual listening, because of their less-analytical signature, but they are more pleasant to my ears and they don’t really make compromises. T3 do maybe “too much”: they need to smooth their treble a little bit. Still a great set, though, with a stunning design. In absolute terms, they may be superior. For my personal taste, which requires a more controlled treble, EM1 are a better choice.

BGVP DMG: very different in terms of drivers (it’s a 5 or 6 drivers hybrid), and also in terms of sound. DMG are more sibilant, and provide a less smooth sound through the frequency range. They are warm too, but they aren’t as punchy neither as controlled as the EM1. I like EM1 treble more, too. Mids are similar and soundstage depth too. Fit wise, they are both great and not fatiguing. I like them both, honestly; DMG may be a little bit more detailed thanks to their multi-balanced configuration, but the overall experience of EM1 is closer to my taste.

Conclusions
    EM1 are an easy recommendation for me. I wasn’t so sure about MT3, but this set here is close to perfect for my taste. If you search for the most balanced choice in every way, consider this set. If you are more into crazy detail or very wide soundstage, there are better earphones, which aren’t that solid though, at least for what I think. This actually is one of my favorite IEM ever – and it proofs what you can do with a single dynamic driver, even on a budget. Highly recommended, in the end.
      trellus, PlantsmanTX and karanehir35 like this.
    1. karanehir35
      Thanks.
      Would you recommend for metal music?
      karanehir35, Mar 6, 2019
    2. ginger2017
      To delete
      ginger2017, Mar 9, 2019
  2. cash1489
    A refined taste of high-end sound
    Written by cash1489
    Published Feb 22, 2019
    Pros - Rich, Natural Sound
    Comfortable
    Great Build Quality
    Cons - Nothing at this price
    A refined taste of high-end sound

SIMGOT has distinguished itself amongst headphone manufacturers by making beautiful products with refined sound and attention to detail. Their flagship EN700 IEM in all its variants epitomizes this with a solid aluminum build and striking grill design. It has garnered them much praise, and today I am excited to review their entry-level piece, the EM1. To the company’s credit, the EM1 shares some components with their TOTL earphone, most notably, the 10mm titanium-plated driver, which is remarkable since the EN700 usually sells for almost twice as much, at about $150 compared to $80 for the EM1. I’m a fan of companies that trickle down tech from their flagship products down to the entry level.

While $80 is not a lot of money when you are talking about a product precision crafted to meet the needs of demanding audiophiles, the EM1 is also competing in a market flooded with cut-rate IEMs, some selling for as low as $15 with detachable cables, and multiple drivers in each earpiece. The sound from some of them, if not world class, is entertaining, and I have written about them here on the blog. I recommend them for people just getting into IEMs, or people with low funds. I find them to be a great place to start in the earphone/headphone enthusiasts hobby.

But alas, most of us, after listening to an inexpensive set of headphones for a while, we soon want more. Then we start wondering, where do I go now for an better experience? Well, I say the EM1 is definitely a place to look if you have only heard earphones that cost less than $50.

Build/Features:
    First of all, when I first looked at the earpieces, I was first struck by how small they were, then I was impressed at how well built they were. The rounded off triangles of glossy low-resonance plastic with chrome accents looked like jewels ensconced in their foam tray, and I was also impressed by the shiny nickel-plated brass tube used to seat the eartips. My set was blue and red, with the left side blue and the right red, but they also come in a black/red combo. You can also get pairs in a single color, with a choice of either black, red or blue.

The fit was very comfortable, with the curvature of the earpieces following the contour of my ears almost perfectly. The silicone tip was soft and didn't irritate my ear, even during long listening sessions.

The included cable is 4 cores of braided 6N high purity OFC cable, with a thick black jacket that keeps the cable from tangling too much. The 2-Pin connectors that mate to each earpiece are covered in a protective sleeve which fits over a protected two pin receptacle on the earphone itself, keeping the fragile pins from being bent.

Next to the connector sleeves are soft plastic tubes pre-formed into a hook shape. These fall over the ear and help keep the IEMs in place. I found they worked well, creating just the right tension to hold the earphones steady. Down further on the cable, the Y-Split and 3.5mm plug are encased in frosted plastic, which not only looks good, at least to me, but also looks like it adds durability. Everything about the build quality speaks to the company’s attention to detail.

As far as accessories are concerned, you get a thick mesh drawstring bag for storage, two sets of ear tips, a warranty card, and an instruction manual.

The two sets of ear tips warrant further discussion because they are integral to the enjoyment of these earphones. Each set is made of silicone and come in small, medium, and large sizes, but they come in different depths, so when you change or roll the tips you change the sound signature.

The tips with the shallow depth basically put your inner ear closer to the driver, emphasizing the highs and mid-high frequencies for a flat, clear sound. The tips with greater depth move your inner ear further away from the driver, giving you a warmer sound playing up the bass presence region.

I personally found the shallow tips made the treble a little too aggressive for me, plus I enjoy a warmer sounding headphone, so I stuck with the deeper set of tips for the majority of my listening, and that is where the majority of my impressions come from.

That being said, while I didn’t like the one set of tips, if you get these, I recommend just as the manufacturer does in the manual, to definitely try both sets, and try the different sizes, because getting the fit right is very important when listening to any IEM, but even more important here since you get a choice of sound profiles. This is another way SIMGOT shows its dedication to audiophile sensibilities, and I liked having the option.

My listening tests were done streaming from Tidal on either the LG V40 phone with the Sabre Quad-Dac engaged or the iFi nano iDSD DAC/Amp connected via USB to my HP Envy Laptop.

Overall, with both sets of tips, I would call the sound balanced, and as I said before, with the deeper tips, there is a slight emphasis in the bass presence region over the shallow tips. With the deeper tips there is also a slight attenuation of the highs. In either case, the difference is not massive, think of it as more of a tweak.

If I had to pick one word to describe the sound of these IEMs it would be natural. The highs are tad bit elevated, but without sibilance, instead, there is great treble detail that supplies a nice amount of air. The sweet midrange along with the excellent imaging and soundstage add up to a very natural sound with a lot of depth.

Listening to J.S. Sondara’s “American Dream” from his album Tales of America highlighted the great imaging and soundstage of these earphones. The sound really seemed to reach out beyond my ears, and the singer's placement in the center along the with fiddle player off to the left and the background vocalist off to the right was rock solid.

The sweet midrange was really showcased by Freddy’s Cole’s “First Began” where the gravelly texture of his vocals was rendered with remarkable realism, especially for an IEM of this price point.

When comparing the sound to one of my favorite dynamic-driver earphones in the under $100 price range, the Final E3000, the EM1 trumped it in overall detail, soundstage, and naturalness of sound. The only place the E3000 bested the EM1 was in the bass department, where the Final had some extra depth. It also bested my other favorite in the below $100 price point, the 1 More Triple Driver, which also fell short in overall detail and soundstage, as well as separation of instruments. But the 1 More did have much deeper bass which gives it the edge when listening to Hip-Hop and the like.

Conclusion:
    According to the SIMGOT website, the EM1 is the benchmark of Entry-Level Hi-Fi IEMs, and after taking a listen to them, I have a hard time arguing with that. I have a hard time finding another earphone under $100 that matches their overall cohesiveness of sound, detail retrieval, soundstage, and instrument separation. Their build quality is also top-notch, matching products that cost almost twice as much. They are not bass monsters, so if you are a basshead, you may want to audition them first. However, if you are looking for a refined taste of high-end sound, this is a great step up from the IEMs at the under $50 price point.

This review was originally posted at www.hifitrends.com

images

1. SIMGOT EM1-COLLAGE.jpg
      PlantsmanTX and George Taylor like this.
    1. ginger2017