Shure SE535LTD RED

1. Dte102
    Overall Good IEMs
    Written by Dte102
    Published Oct 14, 2016
    Pros - Clarity is great, Mids are great, Highs sound good as well, Execelent soundstage, Detachable cables.
    Cons - Lacking in the bass department
    So I decided to jump ship from my old SE215s to the SE535LTDs.  Originally I thought these IEMs sounded like crap and I thought I got a chinese copy or something.  Though then when I attached one SE215 bud on one ear and a 535 bud on another, I came to realize that wow the 535 is lacking in the bass department compared to the SE215s.  I decided to screw it and keep them and burn them in to see how the sound changes.

After burning these guys in, it's safe to say that these were a great investment, the sound stage is excellent, the highs are crisp and the in house shure mids are great as always.  Listening to one of my favorite bands Yes, the acoustic guitar is so crisp and clear I get goosebumps every time I listen to them, and the vocals mixed in just give me a sense of high thanks to their clarity and great sound.  As stated before, these IEMs are lacking a bit in the bass department but turning up the bass in your EQ should fix the problem.

Comfort/Isolation:

I've always liked Shure's IEMs because they were always comfortable in my ear and I can usually listen for an endless ammount of hours.  Shure's regular olives are great isolators and feel great in the ear as long you put them in correctly.  I'm using UE900 wires that I've modded so that they don't have the memory wire from my 215s, but the stock wires that come with the IEMs are pretty good and comfortable when I worn them, though some people may not find the memory wire comfortable to wear.

Anyways, these were a great investment and I'm glad I've bought them, the only reason why I wouldn't recommend buying these are if you're a bass head, you'll most likely will not enjoy these IEMs.
  2. erisearth
    The best iem on earth for the 549$
    Written by erisearth
    Published Jan 19, 2016
    Pros - Everything
    Cons - Nothing
    Most people are looking for assurances that the reviewer of a product is qualified, so allow me to indulge briefly: I'm a lifelong musician, sound engineer, and headphone enthusiast/general audiophile. I love music not only for the artistry and quality of arrangement, musicianship, etc, but also for the beauty of sound that comes from the recording/mastering process, ultimately delivered through your speakers or headphones.

The first thing most listeners will notice with the 535's is their phenomenal mid-range response, which is largely out of style in most of today's popular (read: crap) audio products. The tight, clean bass is delightfully present in the mix without clouding over other ranges. The treble is bright and organic, not harsh and overpowering. The improved bass response, build design, and crossover sets these apart from earlier and lower models (I actually did an A/B test with the 425s vs 535s since I own both - the 535s won by a huge margin). I love cranking these puppies up...it feels like the music is emanating FROM MY BRAIN. Make sure you get a good seal on the 535's and they will change your life. Boom.

I have been very loyal to Shure for the past 5 years or so for their honest sound, quality builds, and great customer service. I had the E4G's and SE425s for several years, and when the cord broke on the former pair, they shipped me a brand new pair without question.

Bottom line: these aren't for "pop" audio listeners looking for destructively rumbling bass and over-cranked, shimmery highs. Try Bose, you will be more happy with the inaccurate replication of the music. For those seeking full, powerful, honest sound with a great build and innovative features, buy these and don't look back.
      kobed7, XM4N and Paulus XII like this.
  3. MattiaFalsetti
    They're astonishing.
    Written by MattiaFalsetti
    Published Apr 7, 2014
    Pros - Astonishing mids, awesome trebles, great construction quality.
    Cons - Maybe not so many bass frequencies.
    First of all, before the SE535 I had a pair of Monster Turbine Copper Pro, so I was habituated with many bass frequencies and forced to put them repetitively inside of the ear because of their weight. I’m absolutely not saying that the Turbines wasn’t a good pair of earphones, in fact they were my personal favorite pair in spite of their defects. After 2 years of happiness with my Monsters, I decided to go to the next level, with a more comfortable and more detailed pair of earphones, but without spending more than 500 dollars.. I finally opted for the Shure SE535. The first time that I wore them, it took me about 30 minutes or more just to understand how to put them in my ears, but at the end of that complicated process they were so magnificently comfortable and well inserted in my ears.. that I struggled to understand that they were in my ears.
    However let’s go directly on the sound review: I use them with an iPod Classic 7th Generation and rigorously all WAVE format songs, with a Fostex HP-P1 amplifier with DAC and an AudioQuest silver plated high definition cable; simply I've never heard Mids and Trebles so perfectly in a pair of earphones like in these, I can hear details, voices, instruments and effects that I’ve never heard before with other earphones. The voices of the singers are so greatly evidenced, pure and naturals that seems to have them in front of your eyes, amazing details with an astonishing speed of response, really.. I’ve never heard something like these beasts. I simply can’t describe the sensations that I feel when I use them, just with words, you have to try them before judge.
    The only defect that I could find in these, is the bass frequencies.. yes, there’s so many basses don’t worry, but not so many as I expected.

Final Judgments:

TREBLES: 8/9
    MIDS: 8/9
    BASSES: 7
    CONSTRUCTION QUALITY: 8/9
  4. drewfig
    the last hole in my wallet
    Written by drewfig
    Published Feb 22, 2014
    Pros - great soundstage and mids
    Cons - stock cable is short, expensive
    will write a review soon :)
  5. FromSoftware
    one of the best in the market
    Written by FromSoftware
    Published Oct 28, 2013
    Pros - Sound quality, punchy bass, great cable.
    Cons - finding the perfect seal will take some time
    I will write a short review soon :)
  6. jginnane
    Glad I opened the box!
    Written by jginnane
    Published Jan 8, 2013
    Pros - an ethereal existence on gossamer wings
    Cons - only two ears to use; how can I get to 7.1?
    When we were over in Asia last year I had a couple chances to visit the Hong Kong tech meccas.  I was very pleased to buy one sealed set of these, thinking I might pass the favor on to a fellow head-fiér.  As it was, I put an ad up but the closest I got to a reasonable bid was still below my out-of-pocket.  And YES, I did pay the customs duty when I brought them in!

Since no one was that eager to pay what I was asking, I decided to open the box in mid-December, awarding myself an early Xmas present.  I'm so glad I did!  These Shures have a very different sound from my bronze and clear Shure sets.  (Incidentally, all my IEMs are now on Comply tips, the deep-foam ones if available for the IEM.  Some IEMs don't have long Complys available though. It all has to do with the size of the shnozzle; length and diameter. SE535s take the same as tips as Westone 4/4Rs, FWIW. )

The sound ... well, along the way, my kit expanded to a Cowon Z2, 32GB internal and an extra 64GB microSD.  It has been hard to start to write this review because the upgrade of the Cowon over my last-generation Zunes is sheer amazing... and the Cowon is also Android, meaning I can play (smartphone-like) anything, while also listening to my music.

Let's put the sound this way:  You will abandon your previous rigs, perhaps in their entirety, when you buy these two pieces of kit.

Ranking, I'd put the red SE535s in the top two of my collection.  I still prefer the discontinued Sony MDR EX1000 for its precise soundstage imaging.  But I haven't seemed to have found time to put those IEMs on while this is such a fantastic pairing!

7. realguy123
    Excellent Universal IEM
    Written by realguy123
    Published Apr 24, 2012
    I mostly listen to rock (U2, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Buckethead, etc) and classical (Yo-Yo Ma, etc), but also blues (BB King, Albert King, etc) and some electronic & rap (Prodigy, Jay-Z, Beastie Boys, etc).

Overall, this is a fantastic IEM.  The highs and mids are amazing and the bass is adequate.  The bass has been discussed fairly extensively in the forum and while I agree that a bit more punch would be nice, the detail of the bass provided is superb.  The highs are in no way too strong or aggressive.  And the mids are as great as others have said.  One aspect that I really appreciate is that the vocals shine and are exceptionally audible compared to other headphones I have owned (Denon 5000s).  I am finding myself actually learning lyrics that I didn't know previously just because the detail on the vocals on the reds is so amazing.

I now have about 50-60 hours on these and I have seen a slight improvement over that period of time.  But the first 10 hours probably made the biggest difference, with the IEMs opening up quite substantially during that period.

I previously owned the regular SE535s and sent them back to Amazon to order these instead.  Overally these are marginally better (esp highs), but I would not recommend a replacement of your SE535s unless you are an extreme audiophile and listen to alot of classical music.

Until now, all of my headphones (Denon 5000s, regular SE535s and these) have been used on an iPod classic with the regular headphone jack.  I have ordered a Pico Slim and can update my review once listening to the reds on the Slim.  Truthfully I'm a bit skeptical how much the reds will improve on the amp because they sound fantastic already.

All in all, you can't go wrong with these IEMs.  If you desire super punchy bass then perhaps you would want to look elsewhere.  But if you appreciate nuanced bass (even in songs from groups like Prodigy, Beastie Boys, etc), then you should go with these.

UPDATE
    I want to provide an update after listening to these with the Pico Slim and the SR-71A amps.  Although the Pico Slim has the upper hand in resolution and clarity, I think these pair better with the SR-71A.  The Pico Slim is known to do well with mids and highs and these happen to be the strengths of these earphones.  When paired together, however, there was an edginess and strain to the highs, almost to the point of being hard to listen to with some tracks.  On the other hand, the SR-71A and SE535LTD red combo seemed to be more complimentary, with the SR-71A providing a nice boost to the bass while not undermining the mid and high strength of the reds.  The highs are a bit smoother than they are coming staight out of the ipod jack and don't have the edginess to them that they had when coming from the Pico Slim.
    1. GL1TCH3D
      Depending on which generation ipod you have, I think the amp will really help ;P
      I'm not sure if it was defective, but my 6th gen ipod video is horrible for playing music straight from the jack.
      GL1TCH3D, Apr 25, 2012
  8. itsmejulieeye
    Best IEM'S for the money ATM
    Written by itsmejulieeye
    Published Sep 23, 2013
    Pros - Excellent Quality Well Defined Sound Through All 3 Ranges
    Cons - Can Be Difficult To Find The Best Tip To Extract That Amazing Sound
    Hi,
    I've been patiently waiting for my 535Ltd's to get a good few hours run in (this includes the stock cable & an upgraded 3rd party cable purchased from eBay, OFC Silver plated copper with Oyaide Plug). I'll just be giving you my thoughts on the 535 reds & try to refrain from too much into towards cable choice etc...

Unboxing ;
    The Shure Red's Packaging was nothing special & thus would probably lead you to think there's nothing special inside... Not like say Unboxing something like a set of Monster Miles Davis Trumpet Buds where the packaging is exquisite to say the least... But that's no bad thing as sometimes fancy looking packaging gets your hopes up too much :wink:

Contents ;
    The 535Ltd's Come with pretty much what you'd expect in the box like your usual sets of small/ medium & large Foam + Silicone Eartips with a yellow Foam tip that seems to fit medium & large sized ears... But in my own personal case after trying them all + a few 3rd party Tips I bought along with the cable upgrade I actually found that the x2 best fitting Eartips for me were made by Westone & I for now use their Foam & Silicone tips in a large size (Pretty weird to me as I'm %99 of the time a medium tip).
    Also they come with your airplane adapter + a Volume control adapter + also a jackplug for converting your 3.5' - Full size headphone socket & TBH with you all 3 of these accessories look & feel very cheap as I guess their the same 1's used with even the cheapest of the Shure SE range so because these are their Limited Editions I guess I was expecting better quality accessories but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me.

Included too is I believe a slightly thicker/ better quality cable rather than the basic SE range stock cable which I thought was a step in the right direction after all Special Edition stuff usually is Special because it has better quality versus it's stock base models :)

Fit ;
    These Over Ear style IEM'S fit pretty much perfectly & once you hit upon your chosen Eartips of choice their very easy to put in & take out again as long as you bend the Kevlar to shape round your ears correctly... I HAVE HEARD OF PEOPLE LEAVING NEGATIVE REVIEWS OF THE 535'S SIMPLY BECAUSE THEIR TO DUMB TO FIGURE OUT HOW OVER EAR IEM'S FIT & THATS JUST SAD :wink:
    As mentioned once you eventually get your best fitting tip = You'll probably be like me & barely notice their even in & I can quite easily fall asleep with them in after a long listening session :)

Build Quality ;
    Shure have learned from previous mistakes you can tell a lot & I mean a lot of though has gone into making these 535Ltd's IMHO Pretty indestructible barring dropping them in front of a steamroller I think these should last you many many years to come as the build quality on the ear pieces is excellent & The cable looks & Feels really really tough so I don't forsee many returns regards the 535's.

Sound Quality ;
    Now my own 535Ltd's have only ever been fed on a diet of my Colorfly C4 Pro & Lossless Flacs with the odd 320kbp MP3 thrown in to compare it against.
    If you plan on feeding your 535Ltd's on a diet of uncompressed Flacs or Wavs then you'll most definitely not be disappointed you shelled out the big cash for these just Excellent IEM'S as their by far & away the best IEM'S I've ever had the privilege to own/ hear their just Flawless on all 3 ranges & Make me Smile from ear to ear :)
    Now I did notice when trying Mp3's that they can pick up on any bad rip & expose it's weakness with such ease that if your planning on maybe buying these for your eh Ipod then your just wasting your money as you should buy much more cheaper headphones that don't expose MP3's & Compressed files' weaknesses as easily as easily as the 535Ltd's do.

So to some up then ;
    These Shure SE 535Ltd's are targeted at users who prefer Quality & by god do they provide Quality in abundance but please save your cash if your plans were to feed them anything other than uncompressed music from a decent source.
    1 last thing is that a 3rd party cable can improve sound, but IMHO only slightly as the stock thick grey cable is great in its own rights, so it's just a matter of preference if you upgrade the cable :)

Hope this review will be of help to potential 535Ltd Buyers out there & accept my apologies for not mentioning all the colours of the rainbow to describe sound LOL.

Thx J.
  9. tmtmnet
    Now im in love with these <3
    Written by tmtmnet
    Published Jan 8, 2013
    Now im in love with these <3
    1. autumnholy
      5 stars? Bro u are generous lol.
      inb4 i own one too.
      autumnholy, Jan 8, 2013
    2. tmtmnet
      lol, did i give 5 star? it is 4 and 1/2 =)
      tmtmnet, Jan 8, 2013
    3. autumnholy
      audio quality. btw, where'd u get this?
      plan to swap cables?
      autumnholy, Jan 8, 2013
  10. UpWaiting
    Amazing iem
    Written by UpWaiting
    Published Nov 18, 2012
    Pros - Deep Soundstage, Crisp Highs and Mids, Durable, Range of Tips
    Cons - Price, Can't keep up with fast songs
    Ω