Shozy Form 1.1

General Information

Shozy Form 1.1

One 9.2mm beryllium coded Dynamic Driver for Sub-bass -Mids
and a BA for upper Mids and Treble.
20-20KHz 19-ohms at 100dB SPL/mW
2 pin connector with fabric covered pure copper cable.

Comes with case and assorted tips.20191101_121003_HDR.jpg

Latest reviews

Pros: Warmer sound sig.
Good bass reach.
Good fit.
Good looking.
Good price point.
Cons: Cable is not the best.
Some may find the sound boring or have a "lack of enthusiasm"
Tough market segment.
Treble a bit bright for some tracks.
Shozy Form 1.1 ($75): What form doeth thee take?

Shozy 1.1: http://www.shozy-hk.com/form11

Linsoul

Amazon

Much has already been written about the Shozy 1.1, and the 1.4. Some reviews have noted the benefits of each, as well as the virtues of “upgrading” to the 1.4 or not. Many suggest not to upgrade and stay with the 1.1. After my initial listen, I tend to lean that way, but I have not heard the 1.4. My basis? The sound had good clarity and a reach of mid-bass that was quite pleasing. As per my usual, after an initial listen and a bit of tip rolling, the 1.1 was put on my Shanling M2x for 75-90 hours before critical listening. Yes, I snuck a listen but just to make sure all was still good.

I have had the pleasure of many Shozy models, starting with the Hibiki 2, which is still one of my early east-Asian favorites. Tuned with an exciting sound, and good bass I really enjoy the sound. I also participated on the AAW x Shozy Pola/Pola39 tour. While I applaud the combining of forces such as this, I could not feel full love for either Pola model. I preferred the straight Pola and found that (to me) it would be a hard compete for either to make headway at their respective prices. Many disagree, and that can be the “beauty and the beast” of reviewing. But this can also provide a valuable service as well, since if all like the product and nothing is written to the averse, then in this hobby you either found a TOTL CIEM, of much acclaim or you are looking at the Ferrari LaFerrari.

You need not worry here, though as the 1.1 is a very competent sub-$75 IEM and well worth a listen. I thank Linsoul for the sample and will provide an open and honest review. We would have it no other way. It is also understood that even though this is a sample, it may be asked back for at any time. Until then, it is implied to be mine to keep. But not to resell, because that is uncool. Really uncool.

Specs:

Driver(s): 9.2mm Be Dynamic Driver, single Balanced Armature
Connectivity: 2-pin 0.78mm
Cable: Pure copper

From Amazon:

• 1BA+1DD Hybrid Driver. Shozy Form1.1 equips with one balanced armature for mids-treble region and one 9.2mm beryllium dynamic driver for sub-bass-mids region. The Large diameter dynamic driver (9.2mm) can move a lot of air while keeping the bass attack and response fast and accurate by using latest beryllium coating materials. The BA is tuned to sound lush and controlled. You can hear clean cymbals, clear vocals
  • Metallic Venting and Nozzle. Metallic back air vent design is developed for the dynamic driver to adjust the air pressure inside the chamber to control the bass decay and it’s positioned on the side without blockage when inserted. While the quality metallic nozzle is premium built for durability
  • Handcrafted Faceplate. The colorful cosmic theme faceplate is made from reflective materials with which you can get different reflected spectrum at different angles. It’s a fun and spectacular design. The handmade body also adopts the latest 3D printing framework and is post processed by applying resin topcoat, polished by craftsmen manually
  • 2 Pin Detachable Pure Copper Cable. Coming with the Form 1.1 earphones are a fabric-shielded high purity copper cable chosen for the project. There is good synergy for this combo and metallic parts and terminations are chosen for better durability and sound
  • What You Will Get? We at Linsoul are dedicated to give to utmost importance on our user’s satisfaction which is why we made sure to include a 12-MONTH limited warranty security for your audio investment, keep your mind and ease and focus on your audio sessions more

In the box:

Shozy Form 1.1 IEM
Copper cable
Soft-case-rectangular
3 sets white foam tips (s/m/l)
3 sets double-flange white silicon tips (s/m/l)
3 sets single flange black bass-enhancing tips (s/m/l)

Compared/Sources:

Cayin N6ii (E01 module)
Dethonray DTR1

Songs used:

Dave Mathews albums, Come Tomorrow, Away From The World
Los Lonely Boys- Heaven (en Espanol)
Los Lobos album, Disconnected In New York City
Santana w/ Mana- Corazon Espinado
twenty one pilots album, Trench
Mark Knopfler album, Down The Road Wherever

Unboxing:

You are met with a smaller rectangular box, replete with a nice presentation on the front and specs/frequency response graph on the back. It has been said that the frequency graph is a mistake, because it has not reference. And while I would agree that numbers and a graph would be nice, the point is still there with the dips and peaks. It is mostly flat until a peak about 4kHz, with a slight dip before that. Then the requisite drop until you hit 20kHz. No big deal to me.

OK, sidelight aside, you open the magnetic flap to reveal another “lid” with two flaps. Thinking that you pry one open to get beneath, I promptly ripped the lid. Taking the lid out, reveals the case with everything inside. While I appreciate presentation and a lack of foam (package is completely recyclable), some other solution might have been better. Oh well, I’m past it. Undoing the cases zipper reveals the IEM, cable and tips. In other words, the good stuff.

Fit-n-Finish:

All Shozy review units I have had in the past on both tours and samples have been of good quality. The Form 1.1 is no different. Essentially one solid piece forms the bud due to the cover finish, but I could feel a slight imperfection where the decorative cover attaches to the housing. The finish does a fine job protecting the overall unit though, and there is no worry. The decorative back plate is subtle and takes a good bit of moving to get that glittery finish to show. That’s OK in my book, as I prefer understated as opposed to garish.

The nozzle is silver, just like the 2-pin connection on the cable. The nozzle is of a larger diameter with a thicker rim than I have seen lately. There is a screen, and a nice lip, which helps hold tips in place. A flush 2-pin adjustment works well, and is a bit tight, which I would prefer versus too loose. With a longer-than-usual ear guide plastic sleeve, I appreciate the tactility and how easy it is to use. Not too stiff, not too loose again. The sleeve leads into a woven cover on the cable, which is again tactile of touch, soft and flexible as well. The thinner upper cable leads to a silver “ball” as the cinch adjuster, and if you want a cool photo, look up the @B9Scrambler photos of it.

A silver, carbon y-splitter takes the cables and magically “winds them” below in a tight fashion all the way to the straight silver/carbon 3.5mm jack. Instead of two separate plastic sleeve protectors, a 2-stage plastic sleeve protector is used. An interesting approach and a bit more professional looking in my book. Speaking of look, the overall appeal of the Form 1.1 is one of quality. Not TOTL quality, but solid workmanship and quality that shows the owner that Shozy meant business with the Form series. I appreciate it, and as stated at the beginning Shozy quality has always been good in my samples.

The fit in my ear is solid with either silicon or foam tips. Fitting nearly flush, the nozzle does not hinder comfort for me and long sessions. That said, the included foams do provide a bit of pressure on my ear canal, but seal nearly completely. Just about perfect for me. I do feel that sometimes a complete seal is needed, but other times a bit of “air” coming in and out is good. This would be a case of the latter and I appreciate the fit. The AZLA SednaEarFit mediums work, with a wider opening, which allows the mids to breath a bit more, but I did not have quite as good of a seal. The happy medium were the Final Type-E medium tips. Mids and vocals sang through quite nicely, with nary a loss in bass quality. Quantity of bass falls behind the foam tips, though. That said, I could gladly go between all three tips of choice and be happy. Most time was spent with the Final or foam tips, though.

After the initial burn-in of approximately 85 hours, dedicated listening was done using the sources listed above as well as the three tips mentioned above. This is a case where those tips to me sounded better for various reasons, so I decided to utilize them. Sometimes I do, sometimes I do not.

Hooked to the ShanlingM2x and Tidal first, I went through my collection’s list. Starting with Dave Matthews Black And Blue Bird, the sound was melodic and I gained a sense of immediate appreciation for the combination of DD and BA working together. The bass shown through nicely and with a bit of rumble, enough to note that the bass was there. But, not so much that it tended to overshadow the whole show. Tidal presents a more forward bassy tone with their latest software pushes, which I do not mind. Here though, it was just right. Acoustic bass guitar laid the groundwork nicely until the bass guitar came in adding to the lushier tone. I was able to discern much from this song alone. But this is a sub-$100 IEM, and as such held its expectations in check nicely. Not underperforming mind you, but certainly not with the pretense of presentation that it was a post-$1k IEM. Very good so far.

Vocals, especially male come across clean and crisp with enough air between the other mid tones not to step on those vocals. I could discern a certain breathiness to the note from the same song listed above and this represented the song well. Moving on to Idea Of You, cymbal strike and bass guitar lay down another impressive sound, joined by the horn section in support. Dave’s voice moves to the front with all else supporting well. As a treat on this song, the cymbal hit accompanies that voice kind of like a parallel persona that comes along as a sidekick. Nicely done. There is little (if any) bleed of the bass into the mids, and here is where the union of DD and BA share the stage. I hearken to another of my favorites, the Oriolus Finschi, which also has a single DD and a single BA. This union seems to work very well in both instances and is one where simplicity is better than complexity.

Speaking of complexity, Ilse of Flightless Birds comes on, which has a very complex nature. And here is where that first chink to me comes out. The treble came across too brightly for my liking. Part of this is the song, yes, but some IEM’s I have were able to tame that tone enough on higher volumes to make it allowable at higher volume. This was not the case here, as I had to turn the volume down on the Cayin N6ii E01. The treble itself is quite good using the BA, and other than that song, I did not have too much trouble. I found its attack and decay made up for any potential sibilance or brightness nicely. Detail came across with well-thought out sound, but maybe not class leading. I could sense a bit of withholding on Drunken Soldier when the horns entered about 1:45 into the song. It could have been the recording, but a bit better push there would have completely energized the song at that point. There certainly is anticipation (especially after getting hooked on Outlander), but as bit more to me would have made this darn-near class leading.

This Dave Matthews song is also a good indicator of sound stage. Where this song demands a big, bold stage, the 1.1 can only come across as average. Not bad mind you, but with this song one expects a huge pirate ship fight and the chaos, which surrounds it. Cannonballs flying every which way, maiden in distress (always it seems with Claire...smh) trying her best to kick some arse. But the 1.1 presents this in more 2-channel approach where Dolby 7.1 surround would have hit the mark. Think 64Audio A12T or Empire Ears Valkyrie and that would describe what is needed with this song. But, for some genre this more intimate stage is appreciated, as further into my collection that intimacy is appreciated such as on Virginia In The Rain. Yes, more Dave Matthews, but I rediscovered a couple of fabulous albums of his recently...so...This carries over into If Only, where that intimacy works on such a good song. Good layering makes the song wonderful at which to listen and there is enough separation, so each note tends not to step on the others. This also allows the bass of If Only to come across deep and rich. And as mentioned, isolation is good with the right tips. This allows the user to immerse themselves in the song, and isn’t that really the point?

Comparisons:

*All comparisons were done using the same sources, which could be any of the above. But the sources remained constant across the IEM comparison’s below.

Shozy Form 1.1 ($75) vs TinHiFi T4 ($79):

The current iteration (5th gen) of the venerable T-series from TinHiFi is their best to me. It does seem that each subsequent iteration gets better, with more detail, more clarity, and better control. That certainly is the case here. Add in the best bass quality AND quantity of the T-series and this near-legendary (yes, it has only been a few years...) IEM gets tougher to beat with each iteration.

The two are very different in presentation to me. Where the T4 puts its treble where its mouth is, and it pretty much is brilliant in this accord, the 1.1 shines in the mids, melding the best of the DD and BA together to allow vocal presentation to be near top notch. Different approaches at the same price. If you want energetic, with crisp detail and presentation, then the T4 is the choice. If you prefer a warmer sound, melding all together in a good manner to present the whole picture, the 1.1 might do it better.

Shozy Form 1.1 ($75) vs CCA C16 ($99):

The CCA C16 has seemingly come back from the dead of late (CA16 variant), with many posting in online forums how they either really enjoy their model or just picked up a pair and cannot believe how wonderful they sound. So of course, I pulled mine out to compare here. This from the bygone era (2-years ago...) of the “driver wars.” While the C16 does have 16 BA’s, it is only 8 per side. To me CCA is like the R&D for KZ, the “sports car” branch much like Acura to Honda. They share DNA, but how that DNA comes across is markedly different. A bit more upscale than those same-time KZ’s, CCA equated itself well in the market, and I for one like the branch.

The C16 is brighter in sound characteristics, but again this is one in which it does not bother me, and I do like the characteristics. Deeper reach of bass adds to the signature as well. Vocals are forefront and present, but on higher note songs, some may find the treble characteristics a bit piercing. While on some songs such as Isle Of Flightless Birds I cannot raise the volume too much, on others such as Virginia In The Rain, I had little problem. A tale of two songs on the same IEM. I also enjoy the air and clarity of the C16. To me, it is among the better at this price and you should consider the C16 if you want a really nice pair that comes with those funky KZ cables (tangle, any color you want as long as it’s copper, etc...).

While the C16 is quite good, and should be considered, the Shozy fits my listening more. A better control of the treble does it for me.

Shozy Form 1.1 ($75) vs Oriolus Finschi ($179):

Since day one with the Finschi in house, it has been one of my favorites below $200. It still is, and I personally consider it my standard at that price. Older now, but nonetheless fabulous, the Finschi has the perfect balance of bass and treble to me. Some might consider its darker nature to be off-putting and lead to a “veiled” or muddy sound. To that, I say pish posh. The Finschi is dynamic, solid at both ends and with vocals that for my tastes simply sing. To think that this is their entry model makes me long to try their other wares. But even then, all is not perfect.

If I have to pick, the cable is below average for what I consider at this price. But to be honest, on par with older 64Audio cables of the same ilk. The over ear guides are not the most comfortable and the look could be better based upon todays standards. But I for one do not care one bit how snazzy it looks. The sound matters first. And here, the Finschi justifies its 2x price advantage over the 1.1.

Shozy Form 1.1 ($75) vs Ikko OH-1 ($140):

Another favorite of mine, especially at the sub-$150 price bracket, the OH-1 isn’t the OH-10. It is not meant to be. For it provides a stellar sound in its own. I will admit that going back to back with the Finschi, the mid instruments sounded pinched and slightly artificial, but once acclimated, the sound I remember as full and tight come out. Less bass than either the Finschi or the Form 1.1, but with excellent speed and control of that bass make it worthy of consideration. Treble can be a bit bright, but to me rounds off at the right point. Vocals come forward and can be a bit too forward, but not to the point where it diminishes the overall sound to me. I did have to turn the volume down a bit from the others on the aforementioned twenty one pilots song, but so be it. I still like the OH-1 quite a bit but feel the Shozy has passed it by. A shame really, for it is still quite good and should be in your consideration if you like electric-type music due to that fast decaying bass.

Sources:

The latest has become matching IEM to source. It did not always seem this way, but of late it has. Thankfully the 1.1 sounds really good out of pretty much everything. I took it on my walk last night during Futbol practice, attached to the Shanling M0, and can honestly state that the pair sounded phenomenal together. Good bass, air of note and a full, rich sound for less than two Ben’s. Quite an accomplishment. This could easily be your gym-pack or home-rack all together. Synergy sometimes is an overhyped thing, but the 1.1/M0 shows that this can indeed occur.

Switching to the Shanling M6 Pro, I find that while the M6P is a high-fi DAP at a mid-fi price, the pair nonetheless works well. I am still in the honeymoon phase with the M6P, so I obviously think it is the cat’s meow right now. That said, I did find the pair worked exceptionally well together and could happily live with the duo. That rich Shanling sound emanated from the Form 1.1, and it was marvelous. I really enjoyed the sound. Just enough warmth to enjoy without being muddy and detail retrieval of a high-end DAP as well. A good pairing.

The same could be said of the Dethonray DTR1. More “clinical” of sound than the other two, the added clarity was heard even by me. The 1.1 gives a good representation of note here but not too analytical either. Just enough succinctness to add to the slightly warmer tone of the 1.1, the DTR1 is another good compliment.

Finish, the end:

Much has already been written about the 1.1. Much of it good. Some even saying that you can consider the 1.4, but it is not enough of an upgrade to the 1.1 to warrant the extra cost. That I do not know, since I do not have the 1.4; but what I do know is that this is most likely my favorite Shozy since the Hibiki II, when you take into account cost and performance. A bit too bright on some tracks in the treble range for me, but this can be easily countered, or appreciated by those who prefer that signature. Yes, the Shozy x AAW Pola/Pola39 are good, but to me not good enough over the 1.1 to warrant the fuss. The combination of the companies is good to see, but I think I still prefer the 1.1 to either, especially when cost comes into play. I really enjoy the 1.1 and would heartily recommend a listen.

I thank Shozy and Linsoul for the sample, the Form 1.1 is quite good and worth a long listen. Cheers and stay safe, all.

B9Scrambler
Wonderful coverage of the 1.1 :)
ngoshawk
ngoshawk
Thank you, kind sir.
Pros: Vibrant, bassy signature that isn't fatiguing and doesn't skimp on mids - Visual flair and ergonomics
Cons: Cable is terrible - Many will find the shallow, small ear tips need to be replaced ootb
Greetings!

Today we're checking out the Form 1.1, an affordable hybrid earphone from Shozy.

Last month I reviewed Shozy's newest mid-range offering, the Form 1.4. At 199.00 USD it is a seriously impressive earphone bringing with it a classy, comfortable design and a hybrid driver setup that is bassy without sacrificing the midrange or treble quality or quantity. It has a wonderful sound stage, is strong in terms of its technical ability, and it has good timbre and tonality. To my ears, it makes for one of the most entertaining listens I've heard in a while. The Form 1.1 is clearly cut from the same cloth, which makes sense since it was the 1.1s cloth from which the 1.4 was sliced.

Where the Form 1.4 contains five drivers (1 dynamic, 4 armatures, hence 1.4) the Form 1.1 contains two, an armature and a dynamic with beryllium-coated diaphragms. While the 1.1's shells are a bit small they retain the premium trimmings of the more expensive 1.4; a hand-crafted resin finish, metal nozzles, flush 2-pin ports, and metal surrounds for the vents on the rear. Based on looks alone, this earphone could probably sell for a lot more than the 75 USD asking price without anyone batting an eye. But alas, looks aren't everything and it has to sound good. It is an earphone after all.

Thankfully, the Form 1.1 sounds fantastic. Let's check it out in greater detail.

IMGP2864.JPGIMGP2869.JPGP1060790.JPG

What I Hear The Form 1.1 is similar to the Form 1.4 in that it is unapologetically bassy, but where that earphone tones down the treble giving it a very smooth, warm and mellow sound, the Form 1.1 leaves the upper end prominent resulting in a very perceptively different experience.

I find the treble in the 1.1 well balanced with a slight skew in emphasis towards the lower treble. Upper treble provides a good shimmer and bite to notes without being overly aggressive, presenting with a quick attack and decay that really dials in a sense of urgency to every note. It has a very high energy feel to it, yet it isn't at all fatiguing unlike other similarly excited earphones. Lower treble is clean and tight and while certainly not a detail monster, clarity remains high and I never got the impression I was missing out on anything. Comparatively, the 1.4 noticeably dials down the upper treble emphasis leaving the entire presentation feeling much warmer and more mid and bass focused, all while managing to retain the air and detail.

Mids out of the Form 1.1 are quite satisfying. While slightly leaner than the Form 1.4, the same natural tonality and timbre is present. Detail is good but nothing you would consider analytic, while clarity is outstanding. Running the 1.1 through some of the same tracks, like Calyx and TeeBee's “Long Gone”, “Ashes” from Céline Dion, and Alicia Keys' “Un-thinkable”, I was hearing the same gruffness, power, and emotional fortitude that made each artists' performance so engaging through the 1.4. The armatures that Shozy have selected and tuned for this latest generation of earphones hit all the right notes when it comes to making something sound accurate, and as a result match up very well with the dynamic driver they are working in tandem with. They really do blend quite seamlessly, at least to my ears.

When it comes to the low end the Form 1.1 delivers a powerhouse performance. Subbass emphasis is dialed down a bit in comparison to the Form 1.4 leaving me missing the extra physical feedback that model provides, but it doesn't take too much away from the overall presentation. It is still nicely detailed and well textured with grungy notes coming across appropriately dirty sounding, but like the 1.4 not so much as to take away from the smoothness on hand. Technically it is quite satisfying as well. Despite the drivers performance being fairly quick and snappy overall, long, slowly decaying notes linger appropriately and sound quite realistic. Given the midbass emphasis present, on particularly midbassy songs the 1.1 can inch towards sounding somewhat bloats, but given the drivers speed any sense of this fades immediately and I never found it bleeding into the lower mids and hindering the presentation.

Sound stage is where the Form 1.1 is decidedly average, and slightly behind the 1.4. The default vocal positioning of the 1.1 is right at the entrance of the ear canal giving it a somewhat intimate feel. Not quite in the head, but not outside of it either. Unlike the Form 1.4, raising the volume on the 1.1 does not improve things and it remains consistently average. Imaging is quite good with very clean channel-to-channel transitions, while layering and separation is good enough to keep even busy, congested tracks from clustering up and smearing together.

Overall I really enjoy the Form 1.1. Not particularly surprising given my thoughts on the Form 1.4. That said, because of how much everyone was saying the two sounded alike, my initial thoughts on the 1.1 were positive but not mind blowing like they were with the 1.4. Don't get me wrong, there are certainly strong similarities in the mids and bass, but the extra treble the 1.1 has led to a vastly difference experience. While it is something I have a hard time putting my finger on, there is something about the way the Form 1.4 reproduces sound that the Form 1.1 just can't replicate. Maybe it's because of all the extra drivers, the slightly larger shell, or something completely different, but something about the presentation of the Form 1.4 is straight up more dynamic and that much more lifelike. That “special something” makes the Form 1.4 clearly superior to me. That said, the 1.1 is still amazing sounding for the price.

Shozy Form 1.1.jpg

Compared To A Peer

FiiO FH1s (69.99 USD): The FH1s is a good sounding set of in ears with an upper midrange that tends to throw its otherwise good balance off kilter. That is quite apparent comparing to the Form 1.1. Treble out of the 1.1 is smoother, leaner, and more controlled but provides less sparkle in the upper ranges. It gives up a little to the FiiO in terms of detail and clarity. The mids are where the 1.1 takes a huge stride forward. The FiiO sounds thin with a tinniness to instruments and especially female vocalists. It's more detailed and crisp, but at the expense of sounding unnatural and being quite fatiguing. These two earphones take a very different approach to the low end. While extension is excellent on each, the Form 1.1 is much bassier overall with a very meaty midbass. The FiiO takes a much lighter approach to the low end with a better mid/subbass balance that makes the excellent extension more apparent. That said, I don't really find it any more impressive when it comes to texture and detail, so which you find better will boil down to preferring either the Form 1.1s bigger more extravagant presentation, or the FiiOs more restrained, mature tuning. Soundstage is where the FiiOs lighter, leaner sound gives it a clear advantage. In comparison the Form 1.1 is notably more intimate with vocals being the biggest differentiation, sounding like they're playing from just inside the ear vs. just outside as heard on the FH1s. Imaging quality on the two is quite comparable, but the FH1s is a bit more competent when it comes to layering and instrument separation thanks to its thinner sound and larger staging.

When it comes to build the FH1s is nicely constructed and looks attractive, but the shell they're using is pretty common and outside of the unique faceplate, isn't anything special. The Form 1.1 easily has a more premium air to it. The cable, as expected, is a step down from the outstanding inclusion FiiO packed in with the FH1s. Sure it lacks the visual flair of the 1.1s cable, but it's not cloth. No kinking, tangle resistant, less noise, it's not going to fray, etc. Both earphones are equally comfortable and stable in the ear, but I feel the Form 1.1 will be the one that has a more universal fit thanks to it's smaller size and lower profile.

KB EAR Diamond (79.99 USD): The Form 1.1 has more upper treble presence with similar lower treble emphasis. The Diamond sounds a little more dry though with instruments displaying a softer attack and slower decay. It's also a step behind in clarity. In the Diamond review I complained about notes sounding almost splashy, something which is again apparent comparing to the 1.1 which has a tighter, cleaner presentation. The 1.1 has more forward mids with a warmer, slightly thicker, more natural tonality. Vocals out of the Diamond, female in particular, have an almost strained quality to them in comparison to the 1.1 which has a more effortless feel to everything. Bass is another area where the 1.1 is a step ahead in my opinion. There is more rumble to low notes and it is more textured through the entire range. The Form 1.1 has a punchier and more prominent midbass presence that fits will in the general tune of the 1.1.

“Wait a second” you might say. “You complained the Diamond was too midbass heavy, yet the Form 1.1 is even more midbassy and that's okay? What gives?”

It's all about context. In the context of the way the Diamond is tuned, to my ears the midbass is too prominent and draws too much attention. In the context of the Form 1.1 it is balanced by more forward mids and additional treble, and in itself is simply more appealing sounding to my ears. While the 1.1 doesn't present with a massive, open soundscape, it's still the more spacious of the two. The default positioning for vocals is actually closer on the 1.1, but everything else spreads further out behind and provides a greater sense of depth and layering. Neither clusters instruments together on busy tracks thankfully. I'd give the nod to the 1.1 for imaging though since channel-to-channel movement is cleaner and more apparent.

Looking at everything else, both are good looking, well-built products. I think the Shozy looks and feels more premium, but I prefer the durability of an all-metal design like you get with the Diamond. Comfort and isolation are also in the Shozy's camp as it's smaller, lighter, and does a better job of filling the ear and keeping unwanted sounds out. The Diamond's cable is light years more appealing though. No cloth, just a good looking, flexible, durable braided cable that feels like a quality piece in the hand and around the ear.

P1060798.JPGP1060797.JPGP1060796.JPG

In The Ear The Form 1.1 features organically shaped, 3D printed earpieces. Where the 1.1's big brother the Form 1.4 uses imported stabilized wood face plates that are unique to each earphone, the 1.1 imbues the dense resin coat with reflective materials to create a “cosmic” theme. The protective resin coating is polished by hand bringing further personalization and craftsmanship to the project. Despite the big price difference between the 1.1 and 1.4, the 1.1 looks and feels nearly as premium since it features basically the same build quality, but in a smaller shell. It has the same smoothly integrated 2-pin connectors, metal nozzles, and metal vent hole on the rear face of each ear piece.

While the ear pieces are a work of art, the cable is hit and miss. Mostly miss. Let's start with the good stuff, that being the hardware. The chromed 0.78mm 2-pin plugs look great and sit mostly flush with the body of the earphone. It would be better if they were recessed slightly to add some additional protection against bending, but I'm cool with them as-is. The straight jack feels like a high quality piece with a weighty metal and (faux?) carbon fibre construction. They even laser etched the Shozy brand name onto one of the chrome rings so you won't have to worry about it rubbing off over time. Strain relief is a little stubby, but the rubber used is soft enough to provide adequate protection. Above the y-split is a small metal bead that functions as a chin cinch. It works well despite the weight. The y-split carries on the chrome/carbon fibre aesthetic and looks fantastic, though there is a complete lack of strain relief. Normally this would be a red flag for longevity, but this is a fabric cable and that brings us to the main negative; this is a fabric cable.

I'm biased against them because my experiences have almost exclusively been negative. The Form 1.1's cable embodies pretty much everything I dislike about this style of cable, although, below the y-split its actually not terrible. The weave is loose but because of the way a fabric sheath reacts to twisting, feels sturdy and stable. Its not resistant to tangling though. Above the y-split certainly isn't either. Not only does it tangle with ease, but small kinks develop the moment the cable twists or loops in the wrong direction. You must be very careful when wrapping it up and putting it in the case, and equally cautious when removing it from the case for your next listening session. Do not absentmindedly toss this cable in your pocket unless you want to spend the next 10 days trying to unravel the chaos it will inevitably become. The preformed ear guides are thankfully fine. While they aren't particularly nice looking, they are flexible and do a decent job keeping the cable behind your ear where it should be. Personally, I recommend ditching this cable immediately. It is not worth the hassle.

When it comes to isolation, I found the Form 1.1 just as impressive as the 1.4. With no sound playing and the stock medium tips installed, the clattering of key strokes is reduced to a slight click, nearby voices muffled, and the roar of passing cars dulled. Bring music into the picture and all that is easily drowned out without the need to increase volume to compensate. With foam tips in place, the Form 1.1 would make a half decent set of ear plugs. Those who frequent the transit system or noisy coffee shops (if they return to normal operation in the near future as we are still in lock down from the Covid-19 pandemic right now) will find the Form 1.1 a welcome companion.

IMGP2837.JPGIMGP2838.JPGIMGP2839.JPG

In The Box Shozy seems to take the less is more route with their packaging, and that's on display here with the Form 1.1. The exterior box is quite compact with elegant, soft colouring and a very high quality image of the 1.1 on the lid. To the left of this image is the model info, a quick blurb telling you a bit about the earphones, notice that it is a hybrid, and mention that the 2-pin connectors were designed and manufactured by Shozy. Flip to the back to find a specification list, a frequency response graph that is lacking any axis information and as such is of limited value. There is also a more in depth description of the hybrid setup advising what frequencies each driver handles, and some additional bullet-points advising other features. Pulling back the magnetic flap and lifting the lid reveals another cardboard box inside emblazoned with the Shozy logo in silver foil. This box is tough to remove without damaging. Inside is the same awesome hexagonal case that comes with the Form 1.4 and all the accessories. In all you get:
  • Shozy Form 1.1 earphones
  • 2-pin 0.78mm fabric shielded cable
  • Fabric coated carrying case
  • Foam tips (s/m/l)
  • Single flange silicone tips (s/m/l)
  • Bi-flange silicone tips (s/m/l)
Checking out the case, the grey fabric you find coating this hexagonal beauty seems to be pretty popular right now. A similar aesthetic can be found on the various cases included with the Astrotec S80 and charge case of the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless. Not only does it look nice, but functionally it's useful too. Dirt and grime is well hidden and it provides plenty of grip in the hand. The Shozy logo printed on top will probably peel off over time, but that's a purely aesthetic change and will not affect functionality.

The included tips are the same as those found with the Shozy & Neo CP, at least in all but colour when looking at the single flange set. Material quality of the silicone tips is outstanding. It is durable and flexible. The large double flange and foam pairs fit me on the CP. While this rings true with the 1.1, you can now rope in the large single flange set thanks to the 1.1's deeper insertion. It would still be wise for Shozy to include a fourth pair of even larger tips, or even something a little more traditional in shape. Many will find themselves resorting to third party tips out of the box to guarantee a reliable seal. I'd love to see Shozy team up with Final Audio and include their E Type tips which pair well with the 1.1.

IMGP2851.JPGP1060787.JPGP1060800.JPG

Final Thoughts Shozy is on a roll with this Form X.X series of earphones. Not only do they look amazing, but they sound fantastic too. For the price the Form 1.1 is a do-it-all earphone that gives off seriously premium vibes visually, while having a smooth, refined, dynamic sound that goes head-to-head with the best in class. Like with the Form 1.4, the 1.1 is just flat out fun to listen to. It is boisterous and lively with good sparkle up top, a thunderous rumble down low, and a tonally correct midrange that is in no way overshadowed or falls behind. Sure, the cable is not great and the included tips aren't going to work for everyone, but those are easily rectified issues, if they even end up being issues for you at all.

Overall I cannot recommend the Form 1.1 enough and highly suggest checking it out if in the market for a bassy earphone under 100 USD.

- B9

**If you enjoyed this review, there are tons more to be found over on The Contraptionist.**

Disclaimer Thanks to Lillian with Linsoul Audio for arranging a sample of the Form 1.1 for review. The thoughts within this review are my own subjective opinions based on time spent listening to the Form 1.1. They do not represent Shozy, Linsoul, or any other entity. At the time of writing the Form 1.1 retailed for 74.99 USD: https://www.linsoul.com/collections/shozy/products/shozy-form-1-1

Specifications
  • Driver: Beryllium coated dynamic driver + balanced armature
  • Sensitivity: 100dB/mW
  • Impedance: 19ohm @ 1kHz
  • Frequency Response: 20Hz-20KHz
  • Cable: 0.78mm 2-pin
Devices Used For Testing LG Q70, Cozoy Takt C, Earmen TR-Amp, Asus FX53V, TEAC HA-501

Some Test Tunes

Supertramp – Crime of the Century
Slipknot – Vol 3 (The Subliminal Verses)
Daft Punk – Random Access Memories
Steely Dan – The Royal Scam
Porcupine Tree – Stupid Dreams
Last edited:
RikudouGoku
Nice bro, would you say it is worth it to get the 1.4 if you like and already have the 1.1? From both Crinacle and BGGAR it seems you dont really get much of an upgrade for almost 3 times the cost. Oh and I actually kinda like the stock cable in the 1.1, it feels nice to touch it :grin:
B9Scrambler
@RikudouGoku If you already have the 1.1, probably not, but if you have neither the 1.4 is the one to get imo. The cable looks great and feels nice to the touch, but it tangles and kinks, it's noisy, just not nice to actually use, lol.
RikudouGoku
thanks, saves me some cash....to be used on some other iem loool :joy:
Pros: Natural Timbre
Detailed across the range
Excellent bass, tight and fast with good quantity
Equal balancing between male and female vocals
relaxed treble
versatile tuning
Fit
Accessories
Price
Cons: Instrument separation
comfort
some might find it a bit sharp with some sibilance prone songs
bit more speed in the bass would suit me more
20200212_153621.jpg

Disclaimer:
Bought at amazon.de at my own expense.

Price: 74,99 USD

Specifications:

One 9.2mm beryllium coded Dynamic Driver for Sub-bass -Mids
and a BA for upper Mids and Treble.
20-20KHz 19-ohms at 100dB SPL/mW
2 pin connector with fabric covered pure copper cable

20200212_153908.jpg

Accessories:

Large case

S/M/L foam tips

S/M/L double flange silicone tips

S/M/L narrow bore silicone tips

(good variation in tip style but their quality isn’t that good, except the foams that are quite good)

Cable: Quite good cable, it is a 2-core fabric coated cable that is braided and has a working chin slider. Doesn’t feel cheap and weak, but very sturdy. Feels and looks like it can handle some abuse, only downside is that the ear hooks have quite the visible plastic covering them.

No need to change cables if you don’t already have something better or want a cable that changes the sound to your liking more (if you are in that camp). Gives the 1.1 a warmer sound with more bass quantity while reducing tightness a bit. Since I prefer as tight bass as possible, I will change the cable for the review and when I use it.

20200212_154044.jpg

Build:
Resin made body and metal nozzle with metal filter. Has the Shozy brand printed in gold and a very beautiful but unfortunately not very visible (unless with good lighting) glitter decoration that makes the faceplate look like a star field.

Has a large vent hole that contributes to the bad isolation but also to the excellent bass which we get into later.

Fit: Really good fit and stays in place without needing to adjust from time to time. The size isn’t too big or too small so it should fit a lot of people.

Inked20200212_154044_LI.jpg

Comfort: Good comfort but not the best form for me personally, this bump right here is not that comfortable for me.

Isolation: Unfortunately, the isolation is below average, most likely due to the large vent hole.

20200216_141719.jpg

Setup:
Fiio M11, cable 173 (4,4mm), Final Type E Large

Lows:
Bass is on the clean side, being on the faster and tighter side even though there is a noticeable boost in the bass (mid-bass focused). Sub-bass has more rumble and can be seen as a bit looser in comparison to the mid-bass but this can definitely satisfy bass heads while at the same time still keep the quality.

Can you “hear” the beryllium in this? I am not sure as I do not have any other beryllium driver iems to compare to and some of my other iems are both faster and tighter than this, but it still sounds amazing. This has the kind of bass that makes me bob my head while still sounding clean and separate from the other sounds. Very suitable for Hip-hop, R&B, House and EDM. ( although I prefer a bit more speed)

Mid-bass:
The focus of the bass is the mid-bass, since it is on the fast and tight side it keeps the mid-bass from bleeding into the lower-mids which is done very well. It has quite a lot of quantity but the quality is the surprising part since it is clean.
Sub-bass: It can rumble and it can play clean, very versatile sub-bass and both bass heads and others can enjoy it.

Mids:
Mids are well balanced between male and female vocals, both are equally balanced. The mids is done in a way that suits a lot of genres, from acoustic to rock. Quality is excellent too.

(Acoustic songs that have bass in it can be a bit too bassy to sound neutral, but the mids is never the problem for example LiSA unlasting)

Female-vocals:
Sounds very natural but high-pitched female vocals can be on the sharp side. (For example, Evanescence bring me to life)

Male-vocals: excellent male vocals that are very natural and never sharp.

Highs: Surprisingly good naturality and quality, it is the relaxed kind meaning that the treble quantity is on the lower side while still keeping its quality.

There is a peak at around 8k but it is not bothering me at all, but some might find it sharp. (with pure copper cable the overall sound gets warmer by reducing the treble quantity, but I am using Pure silver.)

Soundstage: soundstage is on the average side

Tonality: The overall tonality is warm L-shaped, with the focus being in the very natural timbre and the mid-bass. (very similar to the Blon 03 and in my case, I actually prefer the 1.1)

Details: Excellent amounts of detail (especially in the bass and mids), only gets a bit “chaotic” on live and orchestral music as the instrument separation cannot keep up.

Instrument Separation:
below average instrument separation, really only affect live and orchestral music as I find it good enough for other genres.

Songs that highlight the IEM: , , ,
Good genres:
very versatile.

Bad genres: better to list genres that are bad. Orchestral, Live, Rock, metal and acoustic songs with bass.

Comparisons:

Blon 03:
very similar tonality and treble. 03 has basically the same bass quantity but it is much more boomy which can cause the overall sound to sound muddier compared to the 1.1 (this does make Hip-hop and R&B suit the 03 more than the 1.1). Female vocals are a bit more focused on the 03 while male vocals are just a bit behind the female vocals.

Treble is similar but it the 03 is a bit brighter than the 1.1. Instrument separation and soundstage is also similar but the 1.1 is just a bit better. Details are better on the 1.1, most noticeably is the bass due to it being faster and tighter. Isolation is about the same level but the overall packaging seems to be better on the 1.1. There aren’t any fit issues on the 1.1 either, much easier to recommend the 1.1 over the 03 and sibilance is not a problem with either.

Dunu DM-480:
The similar price point is the only thing that is similar to the 1.1, it has a much stronger coloration to it being U-shaped with an impressive amount of sub-bass. The sub-bass is on the Dm-480 has more quantity however it isn’t as tight or fast as the 1.1, mid-bass is much more linear on it though, but still not as fast or tight as the 1.1.

Mids on the Dm-480 sound more recessed and quality isn’t on the same level either. It does have more treble quantity but combined with its unnatural tonality it doesn’t sound good when compared to the 1.1. Instrument separation and soundstage is better on the Dm-480, details however are lacking. It comes down to whether you like the natural tonality and profile of the 1.1 while still having an excellent bass. Or if you prefer the more “fun” U-shaped sound of the Dm-480, while also having one of the best isolations of all iems I have.

LZ A6 (pink filter):The first thing you notice is how much more air the A6 has in the sound, it makes Live songs sound extremely real but it also makes non-live songs sound a bit unnatural. A6 also has much more treble quantity but that will also make the A6 more prone to sibilance. The treble quality is leagues above the 1.1 and there is an enormous amount of details in the treble and upper treble. Mids are the most similar between the A6 and 1.1, with both of them having an excellent combination of quality and quantity between female and male vocals. Although the extra air in the A6 makes the vocals crisper it might also be a bit too unnatural when compared to the 1.1 that has excellent tonality and timbre.

The A6 has a tighter and faster sub/mid bass but also not as much quantity as the 1.1 (especially the mid-bass). The 1.1 has a very satisfying bass that has a better texture than the A6. Technicalities such as Instrument separation and soundstage is also leagues above the 1.1, making live music especially sound very good. The A6 does have better detail although the biggest difference is in the treble and the quantity most definitely is a part of the reason why. Timbre is more natural on the 1.1 because it doesn’t have that extreme amount of air and treble quantity, otherwise they are on a similar level.

Overall package value, I would say that the 1.1 is a better value. Bigger storage case, better cable, tips and also much cheaper. As for which one has the better sound, I say that the A6 is “better” because of the better technicalities but it all comes down to preferences. If you like a bright energetic treble with tight/fast bass, get the A6. If you want a more relaxed warmish sound with a very good punchy tight/fast bass get the 1.1. (if you are wondering why I am not comparing the 1.1 to the A6 mini it is because the A6 has completely ruined the sound of the mini for me sorry.)

Conclusion: The Shozy Form 1.1 provides a very natural sound with a very satisfying bass at a very good cost, with a good packaging that makes it a very good out of the box iem with no problems with fit. Even though the so-called beryllium driver doesn’t make any hearable differences it is still a good sounding iem and right now it is the best recommendation I can give. Thank you for reading.

Cable source: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/

Comments

There are no comments to display.