Sennheiser HD660S

Sennheiser's Slight Step Forward
    Written by Aornic
    Published Nov 5, 2017
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Detail retrieval advantage over the stock HD650, impactful and dynamic, bass control, least veiled of the 600 series, easier to drive at half the impedance of its siblings
    Cons - Still a bit veiled with uneven treble, shouty and a bit harsh at times, narrow soundstage, not a big step over the existing Sennheiser line

Special thanks to Audio Sanctuary in New Malden, London, for lending me their display units of the HD660S, HD650 and HD600.

Specifications

Impedance 150 Ω

Connector Stereo jack plug, gold-plated 6.35 mm, unbalanced, 3-pin 4.4 mm, balanced, 5-pin

Frequency response 10 – 41,000 Hz (-10 dB)

Sound pressure level (SPL) 104 dB at 1V 1kHz

Ear coupling Over-ear (circumaural)

THD + N, total harmonic distortion and noise < 0,04% (1 kHz, 100 dB)

Transducer principle (headphones) Dynamic, open

Weight w/o cable Approx. 260 g (without cable)

Build Quality & Features

260 grams feels like nothing to me now after such a long time with the Focal and ZMF headphones. That being said, I find the comfort to be largely affected by the amount of clamp these can have while new - a few hours in and I was feeling the pain. Once on your head, however, they stay put so you can headbang away without fear of them falling off. The cushioning on the headband is adequate, considering its low weight.

As for the build itself, it’s very much in line with the other two 600 series headphones. Made of plastic, the HD660S won’t wow you with its durability – but take reasonable care of it and it doesn’t seem like it will fail you. Aesthetically, it’s my favourite of the three – or four if you count the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX as well. The black is sleeker than the marble finish of the HD600 especially. A change on the cups is the addition of the logo, and another change (one I personally dislike) is the logo on the headband being made smaller and more to the side rather than squarely in the middle.

[​IMG]

It comes with…the same exact cable connectors as the other two. In a way, I’m sure this is appealing to longtime fans who have spent on aftermarket cables that they’d like to carry on over – but the connectors on these are some of my least favourite available for any headphone.

(Schiit Wyrd > USB Version 5 Schiit Yggdrasil > Dragon Inspire IHA-1 > Sylvania Bad Boy 6SN7 + Philips Metal Base GZ34)

The most noticeable aspect of the HD660S, at first, is its capability of delivering an impactful sound. The attack of notes is quite well done, with the announcement of each percussive sound not shirking. The interesting thing about this impact is tied squarely to the bass of the HD660S. There isn’t a lot of bass in amount, but it seems quite focused and punchy. Most importantly, it isn’t sluggish and moves at quite a nimble pace – especially noticeable with bass guitar playing and double-kick drum patterns. I’d also characterize it as being somewhat clean sounding, it attacks fast and decays quickly without any lingering feeling or even bloom. It doesn’t extend very far down, about on level with what I’m used to with the Focal Utopia, but it sounds disciplined enough to render Angel by Massive Attack’s brooding bassline properly with surrounding instrumentation.

The lower-midrange of the HD660S sets it quite a bit apart from the HD650, to my ears – but more on that later. It is decently represented without slipping into the overly warm category. Make no mistake, I’d still classify this as a bit of a warm headphone (all things considered) but it certainly has less emphasis in the region than I expected. I found male vocals to do really quite well, and found the chugging effect of distorted electric guitars to have ample body and weight to them. Now That We’re Dead by Metallica is a good example of both these factors in play, with the bite of the rhythm guitars being in full effect.

The midrange itself isn’t lush. I wasn’t immediately hit by a feeling of sweet smoothness that I remember hearing with the Hifiman HE-500. Instead, I’d characterize the midrange as a bit shouty in nature. I’m reminded of the Focal Elear in a way, but the HD660S is leaner. The feeling of sound pushing itself out at the listener can’t be escaped, and just like with the bass – the headphone sounds impactful and dynamic. The dynamic nature of the HD660S is actually very noticeable, especially compared to its siblings, as being laid back is not in its nature. As stated before, drums hit hard – but when everything else joins in, it can lead to a fist-to-the-gut experience that would probably not appeal to fans of the pre-Fazor Audeze LCD-2. To my ears, this is the most resolving of the three Sennheiser 600 series I’m talking about today, narrowly edging out the HD600 due to its better bass reproduction, speed and dynamics.

[​IMG]
    The issue that comes to mind, however, is that the shouty nature will definitely not be to everyone’s taste – and comes across as artificial across the board. Yes, this is not a very effortless and natural headphone – but rather a brazen attempt by Sennheiser to inject a livelier sound into their 600 series. There are casualties along the way of this approach, as some more aggressive genres (depending on production and mastering) may sound downright harsh on the HD660S. That same lower-midrange texture that helps chugging rhythm guitars in the lower registers will morph into a shrill upper-register experience for anything that isn’t recorded, mixed and mastered to meet audiophile requirements. This isn’t only on the music itself, however, as even the harsher moments of The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails can sound a step too far at times – and that’s a very meticulously put together album indeed. What’s interesting is that genres like classic rock and jazz definitely benefit from this added aggression, and the separation of instruments doesn’t descend into a hodgepodge very often no matter the source material. The string section of Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd ebbs and flows properly along with the song, something I don’t hear as much of on the HD650 but definitely hear more of on the HD600. The detail retrieval upgrade is in effect too, with the Nashville-tuned acoustic guitar in the background being more noticeable on the HD660S – another indication of it being more resolving than its siblings.

That brings us to the Sennheiser Veil, a concept that I’ve seen either wholly accepted or argued over (usually by owners of the HD600 and HD650) on audio forums. I’d like to state that I do hear it with all the 600 series, and I still hear it with the HD660S – which might be bad news for anyone wondering if this new iteration “cures” that. The interesting part of the treble on the HD660S is that, while it is still slightly veiled, it puts up a hell of a fight – for better or worse. Keeping with the dynamic nature of the bass, the treble causes cymbals to hit hard and have some severe impact – while being more noticeable and less chopped than the HD650. Adding to my belief that it’s the most resolving of the three (overall), the HD660S has good attack in this region and decent decay – not many situations of cymbal bleed, to my ears. This is another reason I enjoy jazz quite a bit on this headphone, and even the jazz-metal fusion that is Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath is well served by the capabilities of the HD660S – with all the cymbal work being brought out quite properly. To me, personally, it’s a fun instrument to listen to and I often look for its presentation in audio gear.

The issues are, firstly, in line with the treble being slightly hard in nature and a bit artificial (this has become a running theme at this point in the review). Most importantly is what sounds like a slightly brittle characteristic that I can’t seem to shake off hearing. The HD660S is far from the worst offender of this in the world of headphones, but it’s noticeable enough to mention. Again, the worst pairings of this seem to be more compressed, loud and slightly abrasive music, and I’m sure someone will argue that this is more the fault of the source material than the headphone – hell, they might even call the headphone extra revealing for this. This is not entirely the case, as the ability of headphones to keep things together at the seams when faced with such a recording is important – to me anyway. Yes, headphones can be unforgiving or reflect the harshness of a recording like Holiday In Cambodia by the Dead Kennedys – but I honestly feel that the HD660S takes it one step too far in the negative zone. The song sounds worse than a demo recorded on a tape recorder in an echo-laden space when listened to on the HD660S. Even with the notoriously picky HD800 back in the day, I didn’t get nearly the same effect – which makes me think the symptoms are a combination of the shouty nature of the headphone coupled with a slight uncleanliness in the treble. This also makes me ponder why it is that a song like that can hurt to listen to, but I can immediately switch to something like Dark Side of the Moon and wish that there wasn’t a slight ceiling on the sound (the veil in effect). This selectiveness adds to my feeling that the treble extension is a bit uneven.

So how does it all come together? If I was to judge the HD660S on its own, and I do apologize for all the comparisons to its siblings above, I’d say it was a capable headphone. Even with the glaring shortcomings, I didn’t detect any massive deal breakers – for me personally. Sennheiser dragged the several aspects of the HD660S, kicking and screaming, and locked them in the chassis and told them to play nice – and for the most part they tend to. It’s a dynamic and impactful experience with a decently resolving nature that is capable of good detail retrieval – but how does it really stack up with the rest of the lineup? Sadly, I’m not fully equipped to answer this question as I really have not participated much in Sennheiser 600 series culture, beyond owning a HD600 for eight months way back before I even started reviewing. When I mention 600 series culture, I am not exaggerating – there is a large amount of people who are committed to having and sometimes modding their HD650 experiences. There is also the belief that the headphone scales with gear several times its MSRP in value, leading to the “infinite scaling” meme that we nerds in the audio community know of. Before I offer any insight that I can gather, I’d like to mention a few things:

1. I’d like to stand by my audio chain, with which I’m very familiar at this point and believe is more than adequate to compare these headphones.

2. These headphones are all stock display units borrowed from my local store. No mods are in place, and I haven’t heard any modded HD600/HD650s either. I aim to only speak to what I hear on this specific setup with these specific stock models.

3. Strong believers of burn-in should know that the HD660S is a very new unit while the HD650 and HD600 are much, much older.

4. I have heard that the age of the pads makes a difference – both the HD650 and HD600 pads are not decrepit and have been changed not too long ago by the looks of them.

Comparisons

HD650

This headphone, in the form of the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX, and its ability to be obtained for $200 is a huge selling point in 2017 – but it’s been a staple in the audiophile community for far, far longer.

The first thing I wanted to test was the belief that the HD660S was a “HD650 with sub-bass” that I’d seen floating around the online community. I compared the two with the 3:27 mark of Why So Serious? by Hans Zimmer off of The Dark Knightsoundtrack. This deep and rumbling sub-bass section can sound downright muted on some headphones. While it isn’t so on the HD650, I found the section to have far better body and control on the HD660S. It’s important to note that it isn’t just sub-bass rumbling that’s going on here, but a very low string section accompanying it – building to the near-nauseating suspense in the track. The HD660S was able to represent those aspects along with the bass at a more refined level than the stock HD650 – due to its superior ability to separate the bass with the accompanying frequencies. On the HD650, I felt like I was missing out on both some impact and perhaps some of the notes themselves – as the overall experience was quieter. As you may expect, the softer bass impact of the HD650 extended to everything else that I listened to – and the feeling was a bit odd coming straight from listening to the HD660S for a while.

The softer bass impact and less intricate separation on the HD650 highlights its lesser ability to separate the bass and lower midrange compared to the newer headphone. While there isn’t unfathomable bass bleed, there is a distinct feeling of melding going on that is better handled on the HD660S. This leads of the overall sound of the HD650 being quite warm, certainly compared to its two siblings. I found the midrange to be an easier listen than the HD660S, however, as it has more body to it. While it’s definitely thicker here, it lacks a bit of the texture that the HD660S has that lets distorted guitars sound as raw as they should – there is a feeling of smoothing throughout on the HD650. Also there’s a certain boominess that is present at times, Now That We’re Dead by Metallica has the bass guitar and rhythm guitar crunch meld to be slightly bloated.

I found the HD650 to be a more veiled experience than the HD660S, but it also lacks the very shouty nature of the newer headphone. It also doesn’t possess the treble harshness that the HD660S can have at times, Holiday In Cambodia is on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to its reproduction. Instead of harsh like on the HD660S, it’s overly smoothed and distant instead of biting. Also, both headphones have similarly intimate soundstage – but I feel that the HD660S has slightly superior imaging with there being less of a blind spot in the center.

The lessened detail retrieval is also heard on cymbal patterns. Gloria’s Step by the Bill Evans Trio on Sunday At The Village Vanguard sounds more immediate in its percussion on the HD660S. Not only that, but the cymbal impact and decay is both softer and even a bit rolled on the HD650 by comparison. The snare sound on the left channel is slightly intruded upon by the upright bass guitar work as well, reminding me that the HD660S indeed separates better.

Couple all of the above with the fact that the HD650, in stock form, is so veiled and it should be a no-brainer that the HD660S is the better headphone right? Well, it isn’t that simple. Price-to-performance and mods aside, the HD650 might be more to the liking of several folks simply due to its more cohesive overall sound. I’ve quite easily ticked off ways in this review where the HD660S does things at a more competent level than the HD650, but the overall feel of the older headphone seems more even to my ears – and I’m not a fan of the 600 series much at all. Again, this is very subjective – but I think that the various little triumphs that the HD660S has in this comparison don’t entirely add up to a decisive advantage overall. It still is the shoutier of the two, the more treble uneven of the two and the more artificial of the two. The HD650 is more laid back, and dare I say a more comfortable listen? My personal tastes, with the Utopia being my favourite headphone and all, actually fall more into the presentation of the HD660S camp – but my nitpicking nature can’t entirely overlook the treble and tonal issues in this comparison. After all, I don’t only listen to jazz and classic rock.

HD600

What I enjoyed immediately after switching to the HD600 was this sense of depth the sound gained over the HD660S. While the newer headphone is punchier and more impactful, it can sound thin and strident compared to the HD600.

The HD600 is the most midrange-centric of the three headphones, and it has my favourite presentation in this regard. The reason for this is, firstly, the lack of lower-midrange and bass bloat that I hear with the HD650. Secondly, and most importantly, the presentation is a step above the HD660S when it comes to an effortless and natural sound.

The bass of the HD600 is the most muted of the three headphones and it remains largely in its own camp and doesn’t intrude like the HD650 can at times. There is still a heft in the low end of the headphone that doesn’t completely eliminate the sensation of bass, but it’s hardly ideal for genres dependent on slam and rumble – for which the HD660S is a better choice. Overall impact is also less frantic than the HD660S, but seems slightly more pronounced than the HD650. The sub-bass rumble in Why So Serious? is also weaker and less controlled than the HD660S, but the instrumental has a certain sheen around it that is interesting. It’s not smoothed, like the HD650, but it’s definitely a softer and less harsh experience than the HD660S during the crashing moments.

This distinct lack of troublesome glare, compared to the HD660S, is not to be understated. It, coupled with the lack of bass bloat, makes this my favourite of the 600 series. The HD660S has a more open sound, and retains more texture overall – but the musicality of the HD600 is hard to beat for the newer headphone. Not only is the HD600 more cohesive and natural sounding, its detail retrieval is no slouch itself. Also, the treble is more even up to the point where it falls off the veil cliff – the HD660S extends just a bit further before meeting its own similar demise, but the road there is rockier.

Just for clarification, the soundstage of both headphones is similar – but the imaging on the HD660S seems less hard panned to me than the HD600.

Final Thoughts & Conclusion

I feel like this is a good time to briefly explain my mentality going into these reviews. I don’t do these to offer purchase advice for my readers/viewers, but rather to express my thoughts and opinions on audio gear. It’s largely curiousity based on my end and I find it difficult to answer queries asking me to decide on gear for people.

I’m stating this now because I have no idea if the HD660S is a worthy purchase at its MSRP price point, either for fans of the 600 series or for people looking to buy any of the three as an introduction into the Sennheiser line. I can’t contextualize entirely what buying the HD660S means, at its current price of $500, over the $200 HD6XX/HD650. One reason for this is my unfamiliarity with the HD650 scene, and the many mods I see mentioned online. I’ve heard that the HD660S pales in comparison to a “KISS modded” HD650, but I can’t confirm or deny that personally.

I do feel that these headphones are distinct, however, each with their strengths and weaknesses. I have a minor gripe though as I think Sennheiser’s changes might not go far enough. With all the advantages and disadvantages considered, I can’t say it’s a better headphone than the other two – but if you factor in the cost differences vs. your own preferences, you should be able to draw a conclusion as to which suits you the most.

The Sennheiser HD660S is the most impactful and dynamic of the three headphones, it has the strongest ability to expose the details in tracks and it has the most controlled and emphasized bass. However, it has issues with being shouty, it is still veiled (although less so than the HD650), it has less of a natural presentation than the other two and it is a large jump in price. A day will come when all three headphones will be within an arm’s reach of one another in price, and then you can try all three and decide accordingly.

1. atmfrank
      Thank you for making the time to write such a thorough review. BTW, one slight disagreement with your statement on the use of mobiles. Try the new LG V30 if you have a chance. Drives my 300 Ohm HD600's with authority directly through the headphone jack and with plenty of reserves. The DAC chip is based on ESS ES9218P, which is very similar to those found in many high-end DAC's.
      atmfrank, Jan 8, 2018
      ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  2. DarKu
    Sennheiser HD660S – The Legend Continues
    Written by DarKu
    Published Dec 25, 2017
    Pros - High comfort, solid construction and durability
    - Good tonal balance, rich and full of substance
    - Balanced frequency response, nothing stands out too much
    - Airy presentation that leads to good holography
    - Let the veil be lifted! Good riddance to muddy and veiled sound
    - High level of detail retrieval for the price category it belongs
    - Back in black matte paint
    Cons - Shy sub-base
    - Slight distortion on sub and mid-bass
    - Medium size soundstage
    Dear friends,

If you wonder why we have done so many reviews of Sennhseiser gear and headphones and never of the legendary HD 600 or HD 650, you have to know that we wonder the same.

All of those who followed the wonderful journey into the world of headphones inevitably bumped into and listened to the Sennheiser HD 600 or HD 650 at least once. They quickly became so popular and widespread that we considered a dedicated review unnecessary.

Sennheiser recently announced the true successor of the HD 6xx line, the new HD660S.

As a sign of repentance, we bring out the fresh review of this new model, and at the end of this article we will compare it with the predecessors HD 600 and HD650, which we’ve been using for many years now.

Built and appearance

The design is very similar to the HD 6xx line. They’re built almost completely from hard matte black plastic that won’t be a fingerprint magnet anymore. The exterior grill is still metal, with an embossed Sennheiser logo on one side.

The earpads are a bit deeper and softer, which allows for longer listening sessions.

Fresh out of the box, the clamping force of the headphones is a bit stronger, but most probably in time it will loosen at the level of the HD 600/HD 650.

What more can I say? We have the same built and design that we are familiar with for more than 26 years.

But why would you want to change something that stood the test of time with ease?

Besides the standard 3m long cable terminated in a 6.35mm jack, there is a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter, and an additional balanced cable terminated in a 4.4mm Pentaconn jack which is being used more and more by the leading industry. We’ve already seen this balanced connection on the new Sennheiser HDV 820 and on many of Sony’s gear and headphones. I hope others will adopt this new standard soon.

HD 660S Driver

What is truly new is the driver.

The impedance is lowered to 150 Ohm. Sennheiser are marketing these headphones as compatible with portable devices (smartphones and music players).

Honestly, I can’t imagine a way to get good dynamics or a holographic experience out of a smartphone.

Maybe the halved impedance would lead you to believe that the sensitivity is much better, but you’d be wrong. In reality the headphones are 2dB more efficient that the predecessors, so in real world tests they sound just a little bit louder.

In conclusion, I don’t recommend you to plug them directly into a smartphone, but if you add a portable amplifier to the mix, things will get radically better.

HD 600 driver

Looking through the technical specifications of the high end Sennheiser models, I see an obvious similitude to the HD 700. I even have a theory according to which Sennheiser might have had a HD 700 driver excess stock and “poof!”, the new HD 660S was born. But this is just a theory that I cannot fully prove.

I observed similarities in the dampening material behind the diaphragm and in the metal mesh behind the diaphragm. Its shape also resembles that of the HD 700.

Anyway, what is really important is that sonically HD 660S is quite different from the HD 700, which for me is a good thing.

But now let’s get to the most interesting part.

Sound quality

Well, every morning this week I lifted my mood with the album Cei Ce Ne-au Dat Nume by the Romanian rock band Phoenix.

Electrocord is not Chesky or Reference Recordings, I know, but I consider it a quality recording for 1972, from which nowadays many could learn a thing or two.

From the first notes of Negru Voda – Baladă, even though the song becomes complex very quickly, I was impressed by the precise positioning of each acoustic instrument in a distinct place.

The electric guitar, the bass guitar, the violin and the drums seem not touching each other, they don’t compete for the same space, there isn’t a struggle for which to come forward and which to be left in the background. The headphone never sound hectic or crowded.

When changing the HD 650 with the HD 660S after a non-stop 2 hour listening to the HD 650, I can feel that the veil has lifted, the mid-bass stops rattling and clipping and the harmonic distortion feels lower.

The veil that I was talking about is much more present on the old versions of HD 650 and HD 600. The new HD 650 and HD600 versions are better in the respect. Even though the manufacturer doesn’t acknowledge any changes, the changes are there, the dampening material behind the diaphragm has been modified and the new HD 650 sound cleaner and less distorted.

This problem is no longer present on the HD 660S and this is probably one of the best improvements of the new model.

In any case, if you like a slower smoother presentation, I think you’d better keep the HD 650 because it does this better.

[​IMG]

Listening to local rock music, I noticed a much lower mid-bass and voice distortion and a quicker decay of notes, everything seems quicker and instantaneous.

Despite their well known qualities, both HD 650 and HD 600 have never been praised for their quick transients. Their sound is soft and slow, lacking in speed even paired with a fast solid state amplifier.

In this regard, the HD 660S is two levels above.

Only now I can say that HD 660S has enough speed and impact that it can rival the mid-level planar magnetic headphones.

Every cause has an effect, so the quick transients unearth hidden micro-details that the HD 650 is not capable of rendering.

Yes, the HD 660S has more resolution and clarity. It still cannot touch the HD 800 in this regard, but I’m happy that things evolved to this high level for the modest price compared to other models that we’ve reviewed.

Another positive effect is the much more precise timing.

If you carefully listen to fast electronic music on the HD 650 or HD 600, you can hear a micro-echo, like an unpleasant resonance, maybe and effect of the over-damping behind the diaphragm (again just a guess). This effect damages the delimitation of notes and each individual sound end up not being sufficiently well defined.

The HD 660 S have a more precise timing, giving the sensation that musical notes are fuller and more precise, better rounded, with a clear definition.

[​IMG]

In the long term this could induce listening fatigue, but even so, the timing is more correct and true to reality.

Listening to the song Strunga from the album Mugur de Fluier, I notice the impressive soundstage that is well expanded in all directions.

I now realize that none of the models in the HD 6xx series, including HD 660 S, offers a convincingly large and expanded enough soundstage. The soundstage is somewhat compact and intimate, but surely not claustrophobic. I would categorize it as a medium-sized soundstage, not too large (like HD 800), but also not so close as to make me feel on the stage with the band.

In this respect, all 3 headphones are almost identical.

The depth of the soundstage is pretty good. With my eyes closed, I can walk myself through the quality recordings. On well recorded material I could never hear the sound becoming too crowded.

Interestingly, despite the fact that I don’t feel the notes flying a few meters from me, I can clearly hear the angle at which they are emitted, a good sign that the holography is in effect.

I want to mention that, from the 3 models, the HD 650 scaled the worst in this regard. I can feel myself distracted by the micro-echo and harmonic distortion in the bass and mid frequencies, and the slight veil over the notes also impairs the listening experience. By comparison, the HD 600 seems to bring a fresh breath of air and doesn’t have as many shortcomings.

Anyway, the superior precision of the HD 660 S is in effect, the model offers the most credible three-dimensional holography of the 3 models.

Frequency response

Even though the majority of the HD 650 users might say that it excels in the bass department, I am of a different opinion.

The mid-bass clearly stands out and always attracts attention on itself, continuously screaming “look a me!”.

But before we deal with the mid-bass, the lower bass is problematic, not only on the entire HD 6xx line, but also on all the open dynamic driver headphones I know.

Listening to Infected Mushroom – Return to the Sauce I can sincerely attest that it’s an extraordinary experience!

The songs Manipulator and Groove Attack put any diaphragm to the test in terms of speed, impact and bass depth.

The HD 660 S vibrates well enough on bass and the mid-bass is prominent, like with it’s predecessors.

The sub-bass though sometimes leaves to be desired. The sensible use of an equalizer can solve the problem, but I don’t recommend adding more than 4-5dB in this area because the driver can start clipping and distorting when the volume is pushed above a certain point.

To make myself fully understood, the headphone doesn’t have a severe sub-bass deficiency, some people categorizing it as bass-heavy, but you cannot understand what real sub-bass is until you give a listen to some well amplified high-end planar magnetic headphones.

I sincerely think this is the biggest drawback of these headphones, maybe the only drawback that caught my attention on the HD 660 S as well as on all other dynamic driver Sennheiser models: the sub-bass starts to distort beyond 95dB of volume. I think this problem is not even present for an untrained ear. My father still claims the HD 650 sounds crystal clear, so it depends on the listener.

[​IMG]

The mids, oh, the sweet Sennheiser mids.

Yes, they are still here, they haven’t left. Probably the biggest virtue of these headphones is the very present mids that seem to infuse joy directly into your central nervous system.

There aren’t many headphones in this world that gave me goose bumps when listening to violins. The headphones in the HD 6xx line have always known how to do this. I cannot explain how, but they simply excel on mids and, yes, they highlight them a bit too.

What the heck! Midrange frequencies are 90% of the sounds we hear in our everyday life, so if you cannot render them properly, everything is lost.

The HD 650 and HD 600 have always been categorized as being more musical than the other models and this has been achieved through the good reproduction of the midrange.

The HD 660 S doesn’t stray from this formula.

There is although a little difference, the mids aren’t so forward as with the HD 650. The HD 660S places them only slightly forward, it doesn’t push them that hard, so it sounds more balanced, less melancholic and musical. It’s not a big difference, but is noticeable.

If you like the overly seductive character of the HD 650, maybe you should stick to it, but if you desire a more sincere sound, the HD 660 S does it much better. It doesn’t try to hide anything but also it doesn’t overemphasize anything.

In my opinion, the HD 660 S is the true reference in the HD 6xx line, with the HD 600 coming second and the HD 650 coming last, with a more colored sound.

When it comes to sound density, all 3 models are effortless. The sensation of a meaty sound, full of substance and density is best present on the HD 650 and HD 660 S.

Another cause and effect: the dryness of sound is never present. I detest dry artificial sound and luckily the HD 660 S doesn’t have this symptom.

Listening to Pink Martini and Lorena McKennit it becomes crystal clear that this kind of music was created for the HD 660 S. The warm voice simply touches your soul and the instruments become a game of the imagination.

[​IMG]

If you listen to acoustic music, jazz or classical, the HD 660 S becomes an obvious recommendation.

The high frequencies are differently rendered on each of the 3 models.

I think that the HD 660 S handles them the best, followed by the HD 600, with the HD 650 being the last in this respect.

It’s easy to confuse clear and well defined highs with sibilant highs – one of the biggest mistakes that I see coming from some online publications. Some consider the HD 660 S to be sibilant but I tend to differ completely, I consider it having clean highs, without highlighted extremities.

The highs presented themselves clean and airy, with a good balance between technical show-off and naturalness. The highs are somewhere in the middle, not overly natural, but also not overly bright and sibilant.

The HD 600 has less airy and less detailed highs than the HD 660 S, and the HD 650 has the most washed out highs of the 3 models, sometimes the high registers being placed in the background.

As a whole, the frequency response appear to be the most correct and complete on the HD 660 S. Yes, they’re a little more neutral from the midrange upward, but they never sound boring for their price category.

Talking about the price, the HD 660s being a new model, at the beginning of the life cycle, 500 EUR seems to be a reasonable price for what they are. The HD 650 had the same release price. At the moment the HD 650 can be bought for much less than the official original price, but let’s not forget that they’re 14 years old, it’s just normal to be much cheaper now.

If you already have the HD 650 or the HD 600, it’s hard for me to recommend something that is a bit better. You have to give them a listen and decide for yourselves.

If you don’t have any of the HD 6xx series models, then HD 660 S becomes a much easier recommendation. If you want the best model of the HD 6xx line, the HD 660 S is that model. If you’re on a tight budget and you want the best for your buck, then the HD 650 and HD 600 come on top as the best recommendation.

Amplification

Like I told you, the HD 660 S is only 2dB more sensitive than the HD 650 and HD 600, so the halved impedance has very little impact on this.

Maybe Sennheiser would suggest that you can drive this headphone directly out of a smartphone, but I consider it an April’s Fools Day joke. This headphone need the cleanest possible amplification and, of course, a dedicated one. I’ve managed excellent results with an Audio GD Master 9, and also with a HeadAmp Pico Power, and even with the ordinary Pico. The headphone simply comes alive, the dynamics raises your pulse, it’s a completely different story with dedicated amplification.

Out of curiosity, I connected them to a dedicated mid-range DAP, FiiO X3 MKIII, on the single ended 3.5mm and it sounded more than decent. The headphone came alive even on the little X3. The high-end players would surely deliver even more performance.

The myth of amplifying the HD 660 S with a smartphone is now busted!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Comparisons

VS HD 650

The HD 650 loses the tonal balance quickly, overemphasizing the mid-bass and cutting out the high treble. The overly forward mids crowd the soundstage a little bit, the sound becomes a bit claustrophobic, especially on bad mastered music. The HD 650 sounds a bit slower and veiled, the definition of musical notes is less outlined and a micro-echo comes to the mix, together with a bothering distortion.

All of these disadvantages aren’t present on the HD 660 S.

VS HD 600

It’s funny that even if, from my understanding, the HD 660 S is meant to replace the HD 650, the HD 660 S resembles the HD 600 more than the HD 650.

The highs are similar on both models, with the HD 660 S winning in the very high registers, where you can still hear new details out of the background.

The mids again are very similar, with the HD 660 S being a bit cleaner and better defined. I can hear the string vibration and the decay of the vibration more clearly, the HD 600 masking these subtle details.

The bass is a different story. The HD 600 has a weaker bass and the HD 660 S has a deeper and faster bass. The bass is the only area where the harmonic distortion can become a problem, especially if you tweak the EQ too much. The HD 660 S scales much better in this regard, offering a lowered harmonic distortion in this area.

[​IMG]

Conclusion

If you liked the HD 650 and the HD 600, it’s impossible not to like the new HD 660 S.

I’ve seen opinions according to which the HD 660 S is inferior to the HD 650 model, but I couldn’t figure out what they are based on.

Maybe if you like a more lazy, relaxed and less dynamic sound with less detail, then yes, the HD 650 can bring exactly this to the table.

The built quality is already well known for 26 years. The matte black color is welcome, as well as the 2 cables in the box. I hope other manufacturers will adopt the new Pentaconn 4.4mm balanced jack. I think this is the future of balanced connection; we’ll live and see.

The official price seems correct, exactly the price of the HD 650 14 years ago. If we factor in for inflation, they can be considered cheap for the current year.

In my opinion, the legend continues with HD 660 S, being a fierce contender in its price category.

Equipment used for review:
    Sennheiser HD660S, HD650, HD600, Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro, iFi iPurifier2, Audio-GD Master 9, Audeze LCD-4, FiiO X3 MKIII, HeadAmp Pico & Pico Power
    Original review posted Here
    [​IMG]
    1. View previous replies...
    2. DarKu
      Many thanks for warm words, I'll make sure to publish more reviews on head-fi.
      DarKu, Jan 18, 2018
    3. kamitaji
      I’m glad someone else agrees with me on this. To my amateur ears, the 660S are an upgrade from the 600 and have little in common with the 650.
      This is not to be confused with preferring the 600 over the 650, or even saying the 660S are better than the 650.
      All I’m saying is: get the 660S if you like the 600 and want an updated version.
      kamitaji, Jan 22, 2018
    4. kamitaji
      The closest “affordable” upgrade to the 650 is the Focal Elear (Street price $670 and dropping). Still over 3 times the price of the 650 clone, the Massdrop 6xx. With the Focal Elear, if you’re lucky, and on a good day, you’ll get 5-10% improvement over the 650.
      kamitaji, Jan 22, 2018
  3. amartignano
    The very good Sennheiser HD660S
    Written by amartignano
    Published Dec 1, 2017
    Pros - Very competent, engaging and dynamic sound. Balanced, warm and yet correctly detailed. Very satisfying.
    At ease with any music genre. Historical build quality.
    Cons - A bit hard on the head for me. Stiff clamping force. A bit too conservative in engineering (the frame and approach is identical to the HD580). Headstage is very proportionate but more in the head compared to HD700 or 800.
    Here are my impressions about the HD660S. (I apologize for my "sketchy" English)

I love the 500$ segment: there are a lot of peculiar headphones, whith samples of flagship's qualities, usually a good musicality, with some more or less important flaws usually in the mid-high frequencies. So I learned to like listening with the Beyer T90 or the Sennheiser HD700.
    The aim of the HD660S can be tricky: continue the legendary lineage of correctness and musicality of the HD6xx series, while injecting something special to justify the price tag.

A lot has already been said about construction and related things, so I will skip this with a simple consideration: it's an HD6xx headphone, period.

[​IMG]

Let's talk about the sound: I've listened to the headphones with several amplifications, with different powers and more importantly different output impedances.

OVERALL SOUND

The HD660S has the sound of an headphone of the 600 series. We are far from the 700 and 800 sound landscapes, and comparison with these two headphones can basically be reported to what was written about the 600/650. Instead I will stress the differences between 660S and 600.

The HD660S has a dense, balanced, warm but still clear, contrasted, and competent sound, which will satisfy those who like a perspective close to the instruments and a more vigorous than airy sound. The headstage is more contracted and "in-head" than the HD700 or HD800, it's even more intimate than the HD600 but with a better feel of the environment compared to the latter.

COMPARISON TO THE HD600 LISTENING TO SELECTED MUSIC

PAUL SIMON - GRACELAND
    The HD600 sounds airier and softer, while the 660S sounds closer and with more impact, with a more powerful bass, but also with a more prominent particular part of the high frequencies. Paul Simon's voice has a clearer tonality in the HD600, while is darker and a bit back in the mix with the HD660S. The transients are better outlined in the HD660S, which, directly compared to the HD600, appears as the more modern headphone, with better resolved frequency extremes. The good old HD600 exhibit a hint of acidity in the voices, which is absent in the HD660S. On the other hand the HD660S seems sometimes to "mute" some harmonics, while the HD600, even if more "squeaky", seems to flow more naturally across the mid frequencies. But it's difficult to say which one is closer to the "truth". The headstage seems to me more over the head with the HD600, and more intimate and "in-head" with the HD660S, which however has probably a better depth of image.

ALAN PARSON'S PROJECT - TALES OF MISTERY AND IMAGINATION
    In the song Tell-Tale Heart there is a bows attack (about a minute and a half from the beginning) I often use to test the timbre vividness, while the low end of this recording is a very good test in this range. The bows rubbing "roughness" is more evident in the 600, while the 660S masks a bit of this mid-high frequency component, compensating with a more modern and less "mid-centric" sound. The bass is more evident and punchier in the 660S. Overall, in A/B comparison, the 600 sounds like the "old" headphone, while the 660S is the "remastered" one. The electric bass is softer in the 600, and has more impact on the 660S. In the orchestral parts, the 660S has finer grain and the listening point is placed more on the director's podium than among the audience. The high frequencies are refined, clear, detailed and have great resolution. Cymbals & co have definitely a very well-defined harmonic spectrum. Beautiful expressivness.

MAHLER, SYMPHONY N.8, ABBADO / BERLINER PHYLARMONIKER / DG
    I begin to understand this new headphone. As before, compared to the HD600, the HD660S is the one that sounds with the most powerful frequency extremes, fuller and cleaner. There is a somehow attenuated mid-high frequency area compared to the 600, balanced by a rise slightly above it. This contributes to the feeling of a cleaner sound, but in direct comparison the voices seem timbrically a bit "muted". But if one get used to the 660S' sound, it seems that maybe the 660S is right, while the 600 emphasizes some harmonic components perhaps a little more than the necessary (but very pleasantly). Nevertheless, some chorus lines seem slightly better outlined with the 600, while on the other hand the 660S has better positioning of the orchestra and chorus sections. Overall the 600 seems timbrically more "phoney" sounding than the 660S.

SIBELIUS - LEMMINKAINEN AND THE MAIDENS OF THE ISLAND, STEIN / SUISSE ROMANDE / DECCA
    At circa 6:30 minutes of this movement there is a beautiful effect of rubbing of the violins, which (live) gives an exceptional emotional experience, it seems to feel the freezing northern winds on the skin. It's a very difficult part to reproduce (I think it's basically impossible to reproduce the experience that you feel in the live concert hall). Given the somewhat discontinuous performance of the 660S around the mid-high frequencies, I did not expect to hear the newcomer reproducing better the breath of this magnificent moment. It is not clearer, but it's better placed in the soundstage, it has more breath, where the 600 loses room sensation (maybe for the lower bass presence). The 660S is a really good headphone.

RODRIGO - FANTASIA PARA UN GENTILHOMBRE, SEGOVIA / DG
    How close is the guitar with the 660S! It's exciting but there's less sense of distance of the stage. Nevertheless, the timbre of the strings are exciting, albeit slightly resonant on the lower end, while the 600 has a more "acid" sound. The reverb of the recording venue is more evident in the 660s.

BIBER - SONATA A 10, REQUIEM A 15, SAVALL / ALTAVOX

With this recording the perspective difference between the two headphones is clear. The 600 sounds more distant, while with the 660S we are virtually in the middle of the stage. It's not very realistic, but the introspection in the harmonic structure of the instruments is exciting. The 660S has the best harmonic resolution: yes, this time the 600 loses harmonic content in comparison.
    But the 600 renders magnificently the voices in the indescribable Introitus of the Requiem A 15, while the 660S seems to lose some expressive nuances.

PAT METHENY GROUP - IMAGINARY DAY
    The performance of the 660S is really remarkable: it's punchier, more contrasted and extended than the HD600. (the sound of the cymbals is timbrically almost "suffocated" in the 600, while it's exceptionally harmonically resolved in the 660s, in absolute terms). The "on-stage" feeling of the 660S does a good job here. The 600 is very nice, but can't really compete with the 660S here.

SOME CONCLUSIONS ...
    I think that the new HD660S is a remarkable headphone, pleasing and enjoyable to listen to. Its dense, and contrasted sound balance it's not as "heavy" as the 650, it remains way more agile and can really be an update of the 600, except maybe for a "too near" sound perspective. The closer but better sized perspective is exciting, except when it becomes too "dense" (especially if you're used to the landscapes of the HD800). The grain seems finer than the 600, and the resolution of the high frequency is better too. Sometimes there are some timbrical and expression information that seems slightly "muted", but it is a very little price to pay compared to the overall performance. Also because sometimes it's the opposite, and it's the 660S the more expressive headphone. In terms of "music flow", the more "shy" 600 seems sometimes to perform better, but in A/B comparison it sounds more "mid-centric" and less resolved. The 660S is clearly the fuller-sounding headphone. The harmonic resolution on cymbals, triangles & co is absolutely excellent.

I expect great success for the 660S, it is perhaps one of the most balanced headphone in its price range, able to span on all music genres without fear. Its "500$ specialization" is this warm, dynamic and contrasted balance, coupled with a beautiful timbrical accuracy.

[HINTS TO HD700 and HD800S COMPARISON:
    - The HD700 is less correct and less timbrically competent, but its soundstage, warmness and the particular high frequency detail gives to this headphone a somewhat special status (which you can love or hate). If you like its sound perspective, the Hd660S can't compete. Instead, if strict timbrical accuracy is what you seek, the 700 will have some difficulties to compete with the HD660S.
    - The HD800S is the flagship one and has another approach. A/B compared after getting used to the 660S it seems almost too light; 660S instead seems to be too closed and dense if you get used to the sound of the 800S. Without the "ear habitude" bias, there is no match for expressiveness, elegance and rendering capabilities of at least all the acoustic situations, in favor of the 800S, not to mention the huge difference in the soundstage, which gives the necessary breath to the symphonic orchestra, something the 660S has some difficulties to deal with. Moreover, the 800S clearly dig deeper in the bass.]
  4. Army-Firedawg
    Follows no legend but instead paves its own.
    Written by Army-Firedawg
    Published Dec 24, 2017
    Pros - Much easier to drive, amazing mids, standard and pentaconn balanced cables included, detachable cables
    Cons - Building material not what price point would expect, doesn't scale as well as one would think, very stiff clamping force

This was a real surprise for me. A representative of Sennheiser reached out to me via head-fi asking me if I would be interesting in trying out their brand new and successor to their legendary HD650 headphone. Thank goodness this was in the form of private message because being overly excited at the opportunity to try something as new as the HD660 S most certainly raised my vocal octaves a few notches. So needlessly to say I happily accepted the offer.
    What made this opportunity all the sweeter is that I’ve been having a few subscribers on my YouTube channel ask me for my thoughts on the new HD660 S and with each I’ve had to give a ‘I’ve yet to hear but I hope to soon response’, well thanks to the very kind gentleman from Sennheiser I can finally give my true opinion and thoughts on the proclaimed successor to one of the most legendary headphones ever to grace audiophilia.

A little about me
    I would like to say that first and foremost I am NOT an “audiophile” but rather an audio enthusiast. I listen to music to enjoy it. Do I prefer a lossless source? Yes, of course. But I can still be very happy streaming from Pandora or even YouTube's “My Mix” playlist. I also prefer equipment that sounds the best to me personally regardless of what frequency response it has or rather or not it's “sonically accurate” and I always have and shall continue to encourage others to do the same.
    I'm a 26 year old firefighter, for the City of Concord, North Carolina as well as the U.S. Army, North Carolina National Guard. The cliché of wanting to do this since I was born couldn't be more present with me. I've worked hard over the last several years to earn this position and now it's time for me to work even harder to keep it.
    My interests/hobbies are fishing and relaxing to audio products and reviewing them to help other decide on what products would work for them. Few things make me as an audio enthusiast/reviewer feel more accomplished than when someone tells me that I helped them find the type of sound they've always been looking for.
    Now, the sound signature I personally favor is a relaxing, warm and sensual sound that just drifts me away in the emotional experience of the music being performed. Yes, accuracy is still important but I will happily sacrifice some of that if I'm presented with a clean, warm sound that can wisp me away into an experience that makes me yearn for more.
    My ideal signature is that of respectably forward mids and upper bass range with the bass being controlled but with some slight decay. I like my treble to have nice extension and detail reveal with a smooth roll off up top as to not become harsh in the least. Examples of products that have given me chills and keep giving me the yearning for more feels are the (in no particular order) Bowers & Wilkins P7, Oppo PM-1/2, Empire Ears Hermes VI & Zeus XIV, Audeze LCD-XC, Meze Headphones 99 Classics.
    Equipment used at least some point during the review
    -Amp.
    -Misc. Equipment
    -Source cleaner
    -iFi Nano iUSB3.0
    Disclaimer
    I am by no means sponsored by this company or any of its affiliates. Sennheiser was gracious enough to send me this product in exchange for a honest review. The following is my take on the product being reviewed. It is to be taken “with a grain of salt” per say and as I always tell people, it is YOUR opinion that matters. So regardless of my take or view on said product, I highly recommend you listen to it yourself and gauge your own opinion.

The Opening Experience

20171223_185802_HDR.jpg

Why I feel so strongly about the initial unboxing experience
    Please allow me to explain why I feel so strongly about the initial unboxing experience with a product. Maybe it’s due to my southern roots in the hills of eastern Kentucky, but I’ve always been raised under the pretense of when you introduce yourself to someone for the first time you present yourself with confidence, class, character, pride, and competence. You greet the other person with a true warm smile, eye contact and a firm handshake. Anything less or short implies to other person that you either don’t care about them, are too full of yourself, too busy to be bothered by the likes of them, or worse, just generally disrespectful.
    As a consumer, I take this same belief to when I open a new product. Why? Because think about it this way. How else can a company introduce themselves to their customers? How do they present their products? Are they packaged with pride and presented in such a way that makes the listener eager to listen to them? Or maybe they’re just wrapped up and placed in an available space. How about the box itself? Is it bogged down with jargon that says look at this, look what I can do. I’m better than anything on the market and here’s why read this and check out that. Or, is the package clean, simplistic and classy? As if saying to the customer ‘Good day, pleasure to meet your acquaintance. Please give me a listen and allow me to show you what I can do and allow my actions to speak louder than my words.’
    This is why I feel so strongly about the initial presentation of a product, and I feel it’s truly a shame more people don’t. But with all that aside, let’s discuss how this products introduced itself shall we?
    I believe I received a very nice “handshake” with the HD660 S, as I did with its predecessor the HD650. Sennheiser includes a very nice cardboard box that is really just a smaller version of the HD800 S box minus the nice silky material and the stop strap. The box itself, like the HD800 S, is my EXACT want in a headphone box. The exterior si super simplistic as in all it shows is a picture of the product and its name. This, to me, shows the competency and confidence of an audio manufacture.By doing this I see it as them telling their customers listen to my product and let it speak for itself; let it SHOW you what it can do instead of my boggling down the box with fancy words and look-at-me’s so that I can pretend to be competent. And for a company as legendary as Sennheiser, who’s over 70 year experience shows, they’ve got more than enough competence. So in other words, before I even get into this box, I’m extremely excited to put it on my head and see what it can do.

But I digress for my audio geek out, as you open the box to the HD660 S you’re greeted with that very nice new headphone smell and a headphone that’s nice and centered in cut out foam to keep the HD660 S safe during travel. Sennheiser also included the brand new 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced connector in addition to the traditional 6.3mm audio jack. Unfortunately I was only able to use the standard connection because at the time of the writing of this review there’s nothing in my inventory that takes that connector size. Then lastly you’re given the warranty and instruction manual in a nice packaging, that unlike the HD800 S only shows the HD660 S and not both it and the original HD650.

So again I’ll state that the “handshake” given to me from Sennheiser was firm and filled with confidence, which is exactly what I’ve come to expect from Sennheiser.

Construction

20171223_184255_HDR.jpg

20171223_184859_HDR.jpg

20171223_185546_HDR.jpg

20171223_185240_HDR.jpg
    So I’m already super hyped up to put these on my head and try them out. The only issue I really had with the original HD650 was that for its price I felt it to be quite cheap feeling. So did Sennheiser make improvements in the successor to that legendary headphone? Nope…. In fact I feel that they’ve made the HD660 S even cheaper than the HD650. Granted, I’m no engineer and they’re both made of plastic so for all I know they may be exactly the same but with a different paint job but from me picking both up and feeling them I feel like the HD660 S is a lesser quality product (solely in terms of its construction) than its predecessor HD650. But that comparison aside, these headphones are very lightweight which should definitely help the users overall experience.

Moving down the headband still features it very nice and firm size adjustments that leave no doubts to the user what the cups have moved to a different size, for each adjustment is made with a notable pop. On that note, this headphone has more adjustment sizes than I think anyone will need. Unless you’ve a really tiny head, you’re more than likely to find the optimum adjustment out of this headphone.

The padding in the new HD660 S feel very firm to the touch and offer a really nice level of both give and support. This may be because these are a brand new pair and my HD650 is, how should I say, well experienced, the padding looks to be a little bit deeper than my ol faithful HD650. This is a good thing because my ears no longer touch and rub against the cloth covering the drivers.

Lastly we’ve the DETACHABLE cable. The cable on the HD660 S is the same that’s on the original HD650. It’s a decent quality cable. It’s not shielded or looks anything fancy but it does its job very well. To my ears there’s no microphonics or interference that I’ve ever heard during my time with either units.

So my thoughts on the build quality of the Sennheiser HD660 S is that it’s acceptable. Like in the HD650 I believe there’s a lot to be improved on considering these are $500, but I’ve also reviewed worse.

20171223_184538_HDR.jpg 20171223_184608_HDR.jpg
    20171223_184416_HDR.jpg

20171223_184639_HDR.jpg

So they didn’t improve the build quality of the HD660 S over that of its predecessor so how about its comfort? Ummm, depends on what you like really. Where as the HD650 felt like “sand conforming to your hand” as I said in my HD650 review, the HD660 S is like the bear hug a relative gives you after not seeing you in a really long time. It’s not that it hurts, but it’s quite tight, and as a personal opinion, it’s way too much so for my preference so I PERSONALLY (so do at YOUR OWN RISK) bent the metal band on each side of the ear pads just slightly and it made it, to me, considerably better.

Getting back on track, Sennheiser made very slight changes to the padding making it both thicker and denser. You can really only tell a difference if you’ve had a HD650 for a considerable amount of time or had a pair on you next to the HD660 S and could sit them next to each other. But I feel that this was a great improvement over the HD650 because on the HD650 my ears would just slightly rub the cloth mesh covering the drivers but now I think that maybe the very tip of my ears do slightly but I only notice that when I’m consciously trying to figure out if they’re touching or not.

During my time with them, post the slight bending, I had no issues with having them on my head and listening to them for several hours without any fatigue. They stayed firm in place regardless of my lying position and truthfully, I really enjoyed how they felt on my head (again post bending [which again I stress to do at your own risk]). Perhaps time will break these into the forming sand the HD650 is to me but even if it doesn’t, what’s so wrong with the loving brace of a relative who really misses you?

Oh ho, here we are. Time to find out rather or not the HD660 S can uphold the claim of it being a successor to the legendary HD650, even stating that “the legend continues” right on the front of the box. At first listen before A/Bing the two side by side I originally couldn’t tell much of a difference just going off memory and thought, ‘ok sweet, they’ve just made a HD650 that’s more sensitive and updated its looks a little bit’. But immediately after popping in ol faithful the differences immediately become apparent.

The new HD660 S takes a different direction from the HD650’s smooth and calm presentation and favors a more direct and in your face one. The new HD660 S makes the mids and upper bass much more forward which in turns heightens vocals and acoustic instruments presence in the audio. This in and of itself is actually a really comforting sound and a very relaxing on as well, at least to me personally for most of you reading my reviews have a pretty good understanding on my musical preferences, but it’s the fact that Sennheiser directly considers this an upgrade from the HD650 and thus will discontinue production is what’s so off putting. If you can, listen to the song “Colour to the Moon” by Allan Taylor. There’s several songs that will pinpoint the differences between the two headphones but this song, to me, is the best I’ve personally found.

The comfortable soundstage and detailed imaging hasn’t changed much. This was kinda difficult to determine because the forwardness of the mids and upper bass makes the soundstage sound a bit closer than the original HD650 did but when playing normal classical/instrumental music, at least me personally, I can’t hear a notable difference between the two in the soundstage and detail side of things.

Imaging is also a really interesting one. If you were to ask me which of the two would be the “best” (I hate that word because I firmly believe there’s no such thing) for overall imaging I would side with ol faithful. The HD650 just plays so beautifully with pretty much every type of music that it’s ability to show the listener what they’re listening to is amazing. However, if you’re listening to a piece with a lot of acoustic presence, or even harder rock/metal, I think you’ll like the new HD660 S better. Check out this song “Rocketman” by Ironhorse Bluegrass. The HD660 S makes the banjo and guitars sound so much more lifelike than the HD650 could that I could really understand why these would be called the successor. Now, listen to the song “Sound of Silence” by Disturbed. Though this song sounds beautiful on both, the HD650 forces you to close your eyes and embrace the entire experience whereas the HD660 S shows of mainly just the singers.

But let me now talk about the individual characteristics of the sound signature so that I may be able to convey my thoughts on the HD660 S better.

Treble

From going back and forth between the original HD650 and the new HD660 S, to me, the treble hasn’t been changed much if at all. It’s still very relaxing to listen to and never gets harsh. The only difference I think exists is that the treble doesn’t balance in with the rest of the audio band like I’ve gotten so accustomed to. What I mean by this is that where the mids and upper bass are emphasized it almost over does the treble. I’ll use my oh so commonly showcased song “Diva Dance” by Jane Zhang as an example. Oh the HD650 she reaches some really high notes and the HD650 matches them. Now, on the HD660 S, though I still get the same extension per say, I just don’t get the same magic as I’m so used to. This is not a bad thing I firmly believe that, it’s just a different headphone displaying what it showcases differently (I’ll touch on that statement at the end). There’s really not a whole lot for me to say about the mids on the HD660 S. They’re as good as the HD650 but you can’t quite enjoy them as much because they’re not balanced with the mids and bass. I know my explanation of the treble probably sucked but without putting them both on your head and letting you instantly hear the “oh yeah that’s what you’re talking about” that’s the best I can do :p.

Mids

The soul of the music, where emotions are expressed and feelings are created. And that is honestly a really good analogy of what the HD660 S can do. Whereas the HD650 presents music in a very relaxed and calm manner, the HD660 S makes the artists voice front and center in the presentation you’re listening to. And it really doesn’t matter rather it’s male or female vocals you’re listening to, both sound beautiful. You can even use the Diva Dance song I listed earlier, yes I think it sounds overall better on the HD650, her voice still resonates throughout her entire performance unhindered by the HD660 S’ forwardness. Or even take the song “The River” by Blues Saraceno. The emotion of the song is easy to understand and even feel. When I just want to enjoy my music and listen to a lot of acoustic focused music as well, the HD660 S has become a go to. To talk more about instruments. Listening to the HD660 S just as its own headphone is a very enjoyable experience. The forwardness of the mids make every guitar string pluck or swipe of a bow of a cello sound so musical and enjoyable that I often get chill bumps when the solos take off.

So I really like the mids on the HD660 S and I think when considering the this headphone its own headphone, I believe most will as well.

Bass

I often call the bass the heartbeat of the music and like the mids the HD660 S plays my analogy very well. The bass isn’t overpowering whatsoever but it most certainly is more present than what was in the original HD650. The bass is heavy and full so most shouldn’t feel a need for more but it’s also very controlled and as said earlier, it’s not overpowering. It complements the mids surprisingly well and really shows off when listening to some rock music (again not a bass heavy can but it plays quite well imo).

Conclusion

20171223_184226_HDR.jpg
    My final thoughts on the HD660 S is that I believe that Sennheiser is making a mistake in calling it a successor to the HD650, for to me it’s not. The HD660 S is a great headphone but it’s its own personality and presents audio in its own way that I believe is way too different for it to be considered a successor. The HD800 S, to me, is the definition of what a successor is. But as an individual headphone the HD660 S is wonderful and a real treat to listen to. I do like how it can be played more friendly off mobile devices however I will say that in doing this Sennheiser has really handicapped the HD660S’ ability to scale. It still shows improvement when listening to top tier gear over a mobile phone but NOWHERE near the legendary degree that the HD650 can.

Also, make sure to check out my unboxing and review videos. They’re pretty awesome AND you getta put a face to the Army-Firedawg name. If this review helped you out at all please hit that thumbs up button for it really helps me out a lot. Till next time my friends, stay safe.

images

1. 20171223_184232_HDR.jpg
    2. 20171223_184920_HDR.jpg
    3. 20171223_185210_HDR.jpg
    4. dfg.jpg
      braaam, LarryMagoo and Sennheiser like this.