Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones

1. BBBS
    Amazing
    Written by BBBS
    Published Aug 29, 2012
    Pros - Like having a pair of tiny Albert Halls for each side of your head
    Cons - You will spend a fortune trying to get a small improvement
    These are simply the de facto best headphones at this price. They have a dark, slow sound that's suited to strings, guitar and vocals, and their matched drivers mean that centre-stage vocals will actually come from between your ears.

These don't so much break in, rather you get used to their reproduction. I can't recommend these enough, and everybody should spend some time with these, whether they take to them immediately or not.
      MrTechAgent and MarcadoStalker7 like this.
    1. XxDobermanxX
      Great review, cant afford them :frowning2:
      XxDobermanxX, Aug 30, 2012
    2. MrTechAgent
      A very well written review
      MrTechAgent, Apr 16, 2013
    3. MarcadoStalker7
      I liked your review :)
      MarcadoStalker7, Jun 22, 2014
  2. devaeron
    Great pair of cans
    Written by devaeron
    Published Aug 28, 2012
    Pros - Nice bass response, smoothies high, nice mids
    Cons - Kinda feel uncomfy after 2 hour session..
    HD650.jpg

Setup for review
    1. Dacport lx
    2. Scsag m2m
    3. JD's O2

Review

When i put them on for the first time i could really tell that this HP has some nice comfort on it, even though the earpad kinda hard at first..

I start to feel fatigue after 2 hour of listening session, this fatigue feeling is very hard on my left ear, but after 1 weeks of use, this feeling is gradually reduce

As for the sound itself
    I don't feel any veiled things like many people said, the vocal is really clear and quiet laidback, allowing each instrument to produce their sound independently.
    The next great thing that i feel is the bass that have a nice "grand" feeling, it's feel very differently from my previous HP which is dt880, on dt880 the bass is punch deeply, but doenst have those grand feeling like this HP, the smoothness of it's high frequency also give a nice long session listening with no sibilance (or maybe a little)

As for the sound stage, the dt's allow you hear more deeply, like it was more isolated, but the hd650 is also gave enough staging as you can still feel each location for every instrument
  3. jamm8805
    Awesome Headphones!
    Written by jamm8805
    Published Aug 26, 2012
    Pros - Excellent sound quality, great bass.
    I am no audiophile but I can say that these headphones are the best I have heard while I spent a grueling couple of weeks looking for a good pair of headphones.  I started off with Dre Beats but felt like I squandered my money so I returned them and started looking for a real pair of headphones.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Syros
      From Dre Beats to Sennheiser HD 650 in "a couple of weeks" is the audio world equivalent of 0 to 60 in like 2,5!!!
      Well done!
      Syros, Aug 27, 2012
      mdtolic likes this.
    3. Nirvana Woman
      Don't quite understand how you can be looking for a good pair of headphones and then start with beats by dre.
      Nirvana Woman, Oct 15, 2012
    4. longbowbbs
      You don't know until you do.....If all you see in the stores are Beats then that must be what you buy.
      longbowbbs, Oct 15, 2012
  5. Loquah
    Mid-priced Perfection!
    Written by Loquah
    Published Aug 20, 2012
    Pros - Great sound, great comfort, changeable cables
    Cons - Must be amped to perform. Much better with aftermarket cable
    Bought these second hand from a fellow Head-Fi'er (thanks, Gavin!!)

These are easily some of the best value headphones on the market. Their sound quality and scalability (i.e. improvements gained through better cables, amps, etc.) is brilliant for the price.

I've tried them with all different genres of music and it doesn't matter what I throw at it - everything is effortless, smooth and creamy, but with incredible detail and imaging. The only negative might be a lack of thump with Hip-Hop/RnB. They have the bass, but not the boom. I find them to be just right, but bass-heads might be disappointed.

At 300ohms, they're not easy to drive so a high powered player (e.g. iBasso DX100) or amplifier is a must, but well worth the investment.

Full review: http://passionforsound.wordpress.com/2012/09/08/sennheiser-hd650/
  6. spiderking31
    reference class....
    Written by spiderking31
    Published Jun 23, 2012
    Pros - neutral, excellent sounding, nice soundstage
    Cons - need a powerful amplifier
    Superb headphone, that has excellent detail, amazing soundstage, very nice highs, mids, and a very tight and detailed bass....but to get quality like this, I'm using a blue dragon v3 headphone cable, little dot mk3 tube amp, and playing CDs though them....but even with a modest setup, you will still greatly appreciate the sound that these headphones can put out! Give the hd650's about 100 hours of break-in time, and you will truly hear what they can offer....all in all, STILL one of the best headphones out there....buy a pair, and enjoy!:) today I started using my hd650 headphones with a full sized CD player, with built I'm dac, and other very high end parts...NOW I'M REALLY IN AUDIO NIRVANA!! DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THIS!:D
    1. separus
      still waiting for mine to arrive. Hope it lives up to my expectation
      separus, Jun 24, 2012
    2. Nirvana Woman
      AGREE with Spiderfang this is exccellent headphones
      Nirvana Woman, Oct 18, 2012
  7. ValentinHogea
    Fantastic value for money
    Written by ValentinHogea
    Published Jun 5, 2012
    Pros - Soundstage width and height, Great bass and midrange
    Cons - Open cans
    Enough said. So much sound for 350 USD it's crazy.
    1. XxDobermanxX
      Yep one of the best
      XxDobermanxX, Jun 5, 2012
    2. telecaster
      +1 very good value!
      telecaster, Jun 5, 2012
    3. cuonghuutran
      +1. I moved up to Audeze LCD 2 r2. I have to say this HD 650
      is the best value. Very neutral. Very comfortable. Great sound.
      cuonghuutran, Jun 5, 2012
  8. ENTJ
    A review
    Written by ENTJ
    Published Apr 10, 2012
    Superb
  9. born2bwild
    Great sound at a great value
    Written by born2bwild
    Published Feb 24, 2012
    Pros - Mids, Sennheiser sound signature, comfort
    Cons - Boring design, hard to drive
    I bought these headphones on December 2011 and have since been thoroughly using them. I am absolutely happy with my purchase and here is why:

Pros:
    - Fantastic sound, albeit a bit on the darker side (amazingly natural mids, and poignant lows with controlled highs)
    - Amazing bargain at $300, as the sound quality is truly unbelievable
    - Extremely comfortable to wear for long hours
    - Fares excellent in general use

Cons:
    - Requires a powerful amp to reach its full potential
    - Build quality and design are average
      gopack87 likes this.
    1. zachchen1996
      where did you get them for 300$?
      zachchen1996, Apr 27, 2012
    2. born2bwild
      An approved seller from Amazon.com had them for $300 in December, Amazon itself was selling it for $350 at that time.
      born2bwild, Apr 28, 2012
  10. syphen606
    Sennheiser HD650
    Written by syphen606
    Published Jan 31, 2012
    Great headphones. Really enjoy mine.
    1. ksvieb
      This is hardly a review. Not even Amazon would accept five words.
      ksvieb, Jan 31, 2012
    2. syphen606
      Oh I agree fully. I was simply trying to add that I owned these headphones but the system then seemingly forces you to review any product that you enter as 'own it'. I found out after this that you need to click cancel at a certain point in order to 'own' something but not type some bullcrap *required review to close prompts. I'd delete it if I figure out how.
      syphen606, Jan 31, 2012
    3. ksan
      The HD650 are great headphones but it would be much nicer if Sennheiser makes the headband with leather material. The two ear cups are very well made.
      ksan, Feb 2, 2012