Sennheiser HD 599 Open Back Headphone

3/5,
  1. thejtl
    A decent, comfortable headphone that ultimately disappointed.
    Written by thejtl
    Published Mar 31, 2017
    3.0/5,
    Pros - comfort, design
    Cons - messy low and low-mid performance, which effected the overall sound negatively. Only available in the ivory color at the moment.
    I review headphones and when Sennheiser sent me the HD599 to check out I was excited because I have the HD600 and had never had a chance to try the HD598. Knowing that the 599 was the successor to the 598 I wanted to see how they fared against the 600, but also I wanted to see if they were worth the $249 retail price.

If I didn't have anything to compare them to I would have had favorable things to say and might have rated them 4 out of 5 stars, but I decided to base my review on comparing them against to HD600 and the Grado SR-80. The HD599 didn't stand up well. They were nowhere near the detail and clarity of the HD600. They may have beat them on soundstage, but the presentations were so different it was hardd to compare.

I assumed that the 599s were supposed to be more of an "entertaining" headphone, so I thought the comparison to the SR-80 might be closer, but the SR-80 blew them away.

In the end, the HD599 is poorly tuned in the low and lowermid frequencies and that elads to a messy bottom that just doesn't anchor the sound and leaves the higher frequncies colored and weak. Pretty disappointing overall. They are very comfortable and very stylish and are probably a good successor to the 598, but they aren't for me.

I tried them while gaming as well and found the same issue I had with music listening were present there as well. Not clear enough to be a satisfying gaming headset for me.

As always, different strokes, etc. Wanted to provide an opinion. I'll paste the link to my YouTube review as well.

[​IMG]
      Dobrescu George likes this.
    1. FastAndClean
      thanks for the review, hd598 have the same problem, sluggish upper bass and lower mids, i sold them for that reason
      FastAndClean, Mar 31, 2017
    2. Dobrescu George
      Well, sounds like the signature is the same as it was for HD598 then.

There are some people who might like them though. I will stick to HD600, ie800, HD800S and Meze 99C.

Thank you for being honest with us all!
      Dobrescu George, Mar 31, 2017
    3. wushuliu
      I'll have to disagree somewhat. I have just demo'd the 598, 599, Meze 99, Hifiman 400s, and Fostex T50RP. I am not a headphone expert/fanatic by any means but I prefer the 599 of the bunch. Objectively the Meze was the best, but the 598 and 599 combo of smooth playback and wide soundstage did it for me. I am not using expensive amplification so I'm sure I'm leaving performance on the table. Also I do not think the 599 sounds the same as the 598 at all. The mids in the 599 are MUCH better. Vocals are more forward, reducing the soundstage a little but the overall presentation is fuller vs. the 598, which is scooped in the mids. Would I use the 599 for mixing? No. But I spend most of my time messing around with diy speakers and DACs; compared to 2 channel speaker listening, the 599s come across as slightly warm in the mids but otherwise neutral with a treble that resembles a smooth off axis taper and with a smooth clarity that resembles higher end drivers.

In fact your videos sound amazing with the 599. Great for non fatiguing vocal playback IMO.
      wushuliu, Apr 10, 2017
      slapo, spitf1r3 and MatukaHiFi like this.