Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones

1. Bonavon Vovo
    The better alternative to the ATH-M50
    Written by Bonavon Vovo
    Published May 14, 2013
    Pros - Tight impactful bass, Nicely textured mids, fairly balanced, Nice carry case
    Cons - Cups don't rotate vertically
    I bought these to replace my ATH-M50s and HD280 Pro.

I am very happy with them, They have a relatively balanced sound with a slight emphasis on bass which is tight and punchy.

Bass - The bass on these headphones is tight and punchy (not loose and flabby like the ATH-M50 which was always a bother for me). It is slightly emphasised but not offensively so, kick drums have a nice snap to them.

Mids - Their mids is nicely weighted with a solid enough presence to give guitars, drums and vocals plenty of texture without being harsh like the HD280. I personally find the ATH-M50 lacking in mids and find they make music sound a bit weak and thin.

Treble - They Have nice detailed treble that is pretty much where is should be but could be a little stronger on portable devices, With an amp (doesn't need to be huge) the treble comes through alot better. They are better in the treble department than the HD280 but not quite as good as the ATH-M50 although the ATH-M50 has a bit too much treble for me, I find it overbears the rest of the mix on those cans.

Comfort - They are very comfortable and beat both the HD280 and ATH-M50 hands down.

Build Quality - Very light yet surprisingly sturdy. Metal swivel points and head band. plastic everything else.

They come with a nice travel case and have a detatchable cable both of which are very welcome additions to the overall package.

My only real gripe is that the cups dont swivel vertically so when you take them off your head to talk to someone you can't flip the cup so the speaker is facing away from you instead of choking your neck.

I would recommend these over the ATH-M50 and the HD280 Pro

I deduct half a star for the cup swivel gripe.
      bpandbass and trellus like this.
    1. XxDobermanxX
      Superior to the athm50 for studio work and the hd 4XX superior to the m50 for everyday use
      XxDobermanxX, May 14, 2013
    2. egosumlux
      That's very good news for the can be bought at amazon for $140.99 now
      egosumlux, Oct 22, 2013
  2. Bigshow33
    Amazing for everything I listen to!!!
    Written by Bigshow33
    Published Feb 8, 2013
    Pros - Sound, fit, comfort, build quality, design with carrying case.
    Cons - Removable cable yes, but...

I have to start once again with saying that I love the sound signature of Sennheiser so I might have a biased opinion with these headphones. I think these are a definite step up from the 280’s. The sound from both sides of the spectrum and everything in between is just smooth and sounds great. I do not listen to any EDM or anything with a lot of electronic beats, etc… I mostly listen to adult contemporary, country, rock, alternative, and jazz. I also like the portability, because the fold down flat and the included case is nice too. They do have a detachable cable, which is a plus but you can only use Sennheiser replacement cables with the similar fitting plug. It is an 1/8 inch but it has a unique connecting piece on the headphone cup. I highly recommend them to anyone wanting a good closed can!
    1. dibbasoat
      Are these as good as closed-back headphones get? (at any price)
      dibbasoat, Feb 9, 2013
    2. XxDobermanxX
      these **** on the ath-m50s
      XxDobermanxX, Feb 9, 2013
    3. Bigshow33
      @dibbasoat, I don't think I could definitively answer that question. I have heard many different closed cans and I can say that I always find myself coming back to Sennheiser. Specs can tell you a lot about a headphone, but in the end it all comes down to personal taste. All the cans that I have listened to though, I have not had an adequate amount of time to make an actual fair assessment. I would compare them to the similarly priced Shure SRH840. I really like those headphones as well and that will probably be my next purchase.
      @XxDobermanxX, so am I to understand that you like these cans over the M50’s? I have not had the chance to listen to the M50’s and would like to someday soon. With all that’s written about them on this forum I can’t help but think I would like them.
      Bigshow33, Feb 9, 2013
  3. DomProfesor
    One of the best headphones for the price
    Written by DomProfesor
    Published Nov 1, 2012
    Pros - Build quality, good sound - even unamped, moderate portability, isolation
    Cons - Coiled cable, not the premier choice for a portable walk on the street headphone
    I will keep this review short, as I can pretty much confirm what other reviewers have said.

They are highly recommended for those seeking a sub 200 $ closed headphone with good isolation (very very little sound leak, and blocks off a lot of ambient noise), good build quality and nice carrying case. I have owned them for over one year and they show no visible sign of wear, every time i put them on it's like I've just bought them.

The coiled cable is sometimes not the most practical.

Can work well even without amplification, but they benefit a lot from a good audio source. Purchasers will not be dissappointed.

I am curious how they compare to the Audio Technica ATH - M50. (difficult to find a pair in Romania for some reason)
      gevorg likes this.
      These will destroy the ath-m50
      XxDobermanxX, Nov 2, 2012
    2. micutuz
      no, it is not difficult to find in romania, actually i just googled it and buf! First site was an it shop actually from my city (cj)
      micutuz, Jan 16, 2013
  4. maxpain12
    Sennheiser was not kiddin about the PRO label.
    Written by maxpain12
    Published May 23, 2012
    Pros - Good amount of detail and also great passive noise isolation.
    Cons - They will not sound good unless you use high quality sources. Minor coloration.
    This was recommended to me by a friend and because of the other great reviews on the web I purchased a pair. What I can say is that it really brings out the details in music. Those low bit rate MP3's will not sound too good now. Bass is not exaggerated and highs are nice and smooth. The quality of the DAC is very important for this set of cans. The distortion in the mids were largely mitigated with the use of a high quality source (Guess my Xonar U1 was not not as good as I thought). They are highly detailed with a small amount of coloration due to the closed design which can be expected.
    1. XxDobermanxX
      So why did the audio quality get 3 star when thats its strong point ?
      XxDobermanxX, May 23, 2012
    2. maxpain12
      Well the mids were not performing well even though other frequencies were accurate enough. The mids were over driven. I have now corrected the review as I identified the problem as a poor source and not the fault of the cans. Yes they are that sensitive. So I adjusted the review as such. Cheers
      maxpain12, May 24, 2012
    3. XxDobermanxX
      :D good review then
      XxDobermanxX, May 29, 2012
  5. sjoerg
    The best I'v tried.
    Written by sjoerg
    Published Mar 5, 2012
    Pros - Good sound quality. Good comfort.
    Cons - Seems to be optimized for "aviation noise"
    I would rank this headphone as No:1 among the noise canceling head phones in respect to sound quality.
    Bose is to "bass heavy" for my likings, but  were better when it came to nois canceling.
    Sony were the best when it came to comfort, but not as good sound quality as the Senheiser.
    All in all this is the best among the 3 I'v tried.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. sjoerg
      My bad, sholud have posted under PCX 450...
      sjoerg, Mar 6, 2012
    3. wrightanswer@ear
      Just goes to show what a waste of time these review pages are. People posting reviews for entirely different headphones to the ones under discussion, and they LEAVE the erroneous one here when the mistake is discovered. Someone looking for phones to combat "aviation noise" will be deceived by this review and it should be removed.
      wrightanswer@ear, Aug 12, 2013
    4. penelope94
      I just bought them. The sound quality is great but the noise cancelation is not.. I can hear people talking and the sound of the bus and the metro..not at all what i expected..How is it top rated in noise cancelling here? Am i doing something wrong maybe?please help
      penelope94, Jan 4, 2014
  6. Shmitty
    Complete nub
    Written by Shmitty
    Published Nov 23, 2011
    Pros - Can't hear my 2 year old when doing college work
    Cons - too ignorant to know
    I'm really happy with my choice, I was either going to get these for the DT770's and these went on sale so pulled the trigger. The cord is annoying at times but I deal with it.
    1. Nick01
      I love the coiled cable :)
      Nick01, Nov 23, 2011
  7. aznx2high
    good except the cord
    Written by aznx2high
    Published Sep 28, 2011
    Pros - great crisp sound
    Cons - the coild 10 ft. cord
    these are over all good there isn't much over lap of anything, i find it a great balance if your not trying to find a heavy bass head phone.
  8. jefierro
    Amazing value grate sound
    Written by jefierro
    Published May 17, 2011
    Pros - Better than expected sound, good value, sound stage very noticeable when amped.
    Cons - Design could be better, annoying cord, uncomfortable in warm wether.
    Very clear sound and linear. Base is under control and well defined but not laking. The source is important as I found that if used without a proper amp the sound stage was impacted greatly also with some clarity in some instances depending on the source I got distorted mid & highs (i.e. iPod)

tested on a iBasso D6 stock
    1. penelope94
      penelope94, Jan 4, 2014
  9. paweltoja
    Probably the best closed headphones in 0-200$ price range
    Written by paweltoja
    Published Dec 24, 2010
    Pros - Almost linear reproduction ,very good controlled bass, clear mids, decent highs. Much better highs and perfect clear linear sound with decent Dac/amp
    Cons - Only good dac/amp(at least fiioE7) can drive it to make good highs and overall very good sound (theyre little muddy with poor sources),no leather pads

Due to my poor skills in writing in English this review of Sennheiser hd380 will be pretty short.

Build quality and package:

Nice, good quality but only plastic build without any fancy design accents. Seems to be quite solid. Coiled cable is not perfet solution in day to day usage but is ok. Nice hard case for headphones. The included also big jack adapter. Cable can be detached (headphoned have mikro jack input).

Sound and comfort:

With poor source like laptop sound is bit muddy and not so clear, there is also lack od high tones - headphones are bit bassy and not so special.
    When I used sansa clip mp3 player sound was much better but still it was not it, despites clips linear response. Bass was almost perfect, especially low end, but mids were little too strong and high to weak. Don`t get me wrong - sound was quite linear, but there was no perfect details clarity that i was expected - with it was only decent/good with pleasing bass especially in rock albums. Soundstage was quite wide. Hd380 and clip is good but not better than many closed headphones at this time.
    Because clip is not powerful source I connected my hd380 to fiio e7 dac - which is better than its amp section. That was good idea. Bass is even more controlled, mids are more wide and neutral and highs are there where they are should be. Sound is analytic and crystal clear and that low bass provides lot of fun. I find that for me best sound is when fiios eq is set up on 0 or 1 (I prefer 0). Setting 3 is dedicated for bass heads. I think that hd380s can play even better with for example full scale dac.
    Soundstage is wide for closed headphones but not so as in many good open ones. Some people that are used to use headphones with boosted lows and highs can disagree with my opinion but Sennheiser hd380 sound is very entertaining for me.

Headphones are comfortable but not perfect. They are pressing little more than most of others. Also material on pads is not ideal - i afraid about its durability. Coiled cable is sometimes annoying. They are isolating from environment good, but they could be better.

Sennheiser hd380 are cheap compared to quality that they provide - its perfect entry level choice. Don’t forget about decent source because only with good sound card or dac they can play like professional headphones

Recomendation:

Buy it or at least try it

1. DomProfesor
      Very nice review. I have owned the HD 380 for about 2 years, and the pads have no visible sign of wear. They are top notch build quality.
      DomProfesor, Nov 1, 2012