Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones

1. Smoothstone2002
    Great value for $25 AUD
    Written by Smoothstone2002
    Published Dec 17, 2015
    Pros - Strong mids, long cable, great price, durable, included 1/4 inch adapter
    Cons - Weak bass and highs, no case, pads cheap-feeling, poor isolation and seal against head
    I should probabally preface this review by stating that I am by no means an audiophile, however I appreciate good, accurate sound replication. I had only had experience with low end Samsung, LG and sony iem earbuds before purchasing these but I was eager to improve my music listening experience with a good pair of over or on ear headphones. After considering such models as the sony zx310, philips shl3000 and others by TDK, panasonic and a range of other reputed manufacturers i decided on the sennheiser hd201s.

I appreciate strong mids and highs, and am not a fan of powerful, muddy bass. My preferred styles of music are Soft rock, Symphonic rock, synthpop, new wave, traditional pop (sinatra/ four seasons), rock and roll and romantic classical music. I found these quite ideal for the aforementioned styles of music although the soundstage felt a little narrow. Overall replication is good, with clear vocals and instruments not drowning out each other or sounding muddied by booming bass. However, even someone who is not a fan of hip hop or anything like that (such as myself) may find themselves wishing for a more powerful low end.

The build quality of these headphones is generally good, with pivoting joints at the top of the earpieces being the weakest-feeling part of the unit. They are extremely comfortable, although some with larger ears may find the oval-shaped earcups problematic. They covered my small ears without any problem, and I was able to listen to the whole of Time by ELO without ever wanting to take the 201s off, although that may have been caused equally by the quality of the songs! One thing, however, that some may find frustrating is the loose fit which causes in part the relatively poor isolation and high noise leakage by the standards of an over ear model.

The 201s came in a basic package which only included the headphones themselves along with a quarter inch adapter for older and professional equipment (this model is designed for indoor use, so it makes sense to include this just as the 3 metre cable makes sense). I found this particularly helpful as it allowed me to start listening to my old records immediately! The adapter is gold plated, and probably only worth a few pounds or dollars online, but it was helpful to find this included.

In summary, anyone on a budget looking for a good set of studio monitors to use at home would be well served by these as long as they are not a fan of boomy bass or powerful treble.
  2. Park13
    Amazing price/performance ratio
    Written by Park13
    Published Nov 27, 2015
    Pros - Balanced sound, can be used for mixing, competing with far more expensive pro headphones. long cord is good at home / In studio
    Cons - Ugly, Cheap looking, plasticky, long cord is annoing in portable use.
    I bought these as a cheap spare during repairs of my regular cans, didn't expect much but have had some good experiences with Sennheiser.
    I was very positively surprised at first use. These actually sound like they reproduce sound as intended in production. And at a silly low price.
    Cheap headphones (as well as some very expensive ones) often over-emphasize low frequencies. Which of course is worthless in a mixing situation.
    I have seen some reviews here that actually complain about the lack of bass / beats / untz. Me, I prefer cans that colour sound as little as possible.
  3. Cobaltius
    Good for the price (I'm actually enjoying them for some odd reason)
    Written by Cobaltius
    Published Dec 10, 2014
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Plenty of detail, decent soundstaging, Dark sound signature that offers little to no edge, smooth, balanced bass response
    Cons - somewhat honky, colored sound, unrealistic sound, somewhat veiled, lacks some air, muddiness at times
    I don't actually own these headphones, but funny thing is they are actually part of my schools media art computer lab for each computer. My teacher allows us to do anything we want during this class while working on projects or assignments, so this means listening to music in class with these.

These headphones are actually not too bad for the price, and actually find them soothing sometimes. They of course aren't the best sound headphones in the world no doubt but I would really consider this as headphones for people who are looking for headphones along the $30 range because these do get the job done.

They are comfortable no aches pains or anything, but do kind of get sweaty around my ears using it for to long.
    Sound Isolation: They're okay
    Sound leakage isn't an issue but there still is some but not enough to bother people around you and I'm sure the ambient noise around will overpower the sound leakage from headphones anyways...

The Sound

Treble: These are more of a darker sounding headphones to the point where the treble does lack just a tiny bit. There is some muddiness in certain tracks at time due to the weaker emphasis on the highs. Some tracks I actually think the treble fits well on more aggressive and brighter tracks. I notice smoothness and perfect balance between the frequency spectrum. The treble can also be pretty detailed sometimes I've noticed as well. Because of the lower emphasis on the treble I believe these headphones lack some air; cymbals kind of sound smeared in the background with most of my rock based tracks.

Mids: Umm.... Colored murky, bloated and muddy depending on music style.

Bass: Bass has great balance to the frequency response of these headphones and isn't over the top or anything. It isn't to thin or to big its just perfect where its at. Bass does sound bloated sometimes but not all the time (again depending on music style). It delivers a slight punch, but not to the point where you'll be getting severe hearing loss or brain damage. Bass seems to be more emphasized more on mid bass, bass doesn't, really run that deep.

Sub-bass: No

Honestly if you just give these headphones some EQ from a graphic equalizer they will sound great. Maybe just bump of the high frequency's a bit, lower the muddy spectrum of the mids which is the lower mids and if you want boost dat bass up.

Well all in all, pretty decent pair for the price, they are a bit muddy sometimes but It doesn't really make me cringe so thats good I guess. They do offer pretty decent detail and sound for the price I'd EQ though If I were you, I wouldn't be able to live with only these headphones.
  4. MarcadoStalker7
    Intensely detailed and fast (HD 800 like)
    Written by MarcadoStalker7
    Published Jul 8, 2014
    Pros - Very detailed. Very deep and full bass. Natural and lifelike mids. Perfect and smooth treble.
    Cons - Requires a good amp. (Sounds best on the HDVD 800 Sennheiser amp)
    After trying the LCD-3's, SR-007 MK1 and HD-800, i find the HD-201 has better value and sound overall. But you need to pair it with the HDVD800.
    Otherwise it will sound muddy and congested like the HD-600.

Use 24/192 for best results, and good produced music obviously.

The setup: PC>HDVD800>HD-201>24/192 on Foobar2000.

The HD-800 was bright and artificial, but the HD-201 was natural and has better bass (goes very low, more low than HD-800).
    Now i am hearing my entire music again, after years of living with the artificial sound of the HD-800.

PD: I did not like the comfort and sound of LCD-3's and the Omega. The HD-800 was a favorite until i owned my HD-201, i will never go back.

PD2: YOU NEED TO USE IT WITH THE HDVD800. In other amps it sounds like a 15$ headphones.
    Jazz, Rock, Metal, you name it, all sounded very natural and fast.
    In Metal i can hear the sparkle of the guitars, the double-bass of the drums, and the vocals perfectly smooth with great separation and soundstage. I think i'm in love with these cans *-*
    1. View previous replies...
    2. freedom04
      nice potato
      freedom04, Sep 5, 2014
    3. Mach-X
      I love potato, but I'd rather get (s)mashed instead. So I just distill it.
      Mach-X, Oct 2, 2014
    4. nuforcemmp
      you're not going back to the hd - 800 ?? can i have it??? :):)
      nuforcemmp, Jan 18, 2015
  5. pakualam
    Best Value (Balanced) Headphone under $50
    Written by pakualam
    Published Jul 8, 2014
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Balanced sound, cheap, long cables (3m), well built, thick cable, 2 years warranty
    Cons - Pleathered pads make your ears sweaty, uncomfortable after 90', long cable may be frustated, not portable
    This is my first headphone, I bought it almost 2 years ago for $24. For the price, this is the best balanced headphone you can get under $50.
    It's well built, but the cables is quite long (~3m) and sometime tangled. I don't like the plethered pads, it gets my ears sweaty.

Things to consider to buy this headphone:
    - The sound is very good balanced and it's cheap.
    - You got 2 years warranty, and for just ~$25, that's awesome

After 9 months from purchased date, one of the speaker dead, and got replaced :)
  6. AlfredKeppler
    Good bang for the buck beginner headphone
    Written by AlfredKeppler
    Published May 19, 2014
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Excellent value, good clearity, solid build quality (for a 20$ headphone), right amount of bass, not inconsencities in sound signature
    Cons - Fatigueing because it's overly bright, earpads are uncomfortable, lack of sound stage, may sound 'plasticy' with some genres of music, thin cable
    The Sennheiser HD201 are a surprise in the lower echolon of headphones, as they offer great sound quality for a very low price and they are a very good extention into the low end price range for the Sennheiser product sortiment, in that regards
    However, because of the cheap price, they do lack in design and comfort and overall build quality. This pair of headphones is made out of plastics entirely, the cable has too much length for me and is thin and flimsy. The cushions on the headband feel good and  comfortable, but the earpads itself are a pain in the ass because they are too stiff, not breathable and overall uncomfortable - they irritate my ears in under 20 minutes.The plastic construction of the entire headphones feel cheap overall - but the headband itself doesn't break when it's overly bend, which is a strong point. It's very light weight as well - but the clamping force is a bit on the heavy side, maybe it breaks in after a while.
    One last surprise on the build side was the gold plated connector - that's weird in this price range.

The sound signature and presence of small details on this headphone is amazing, especially for a headphone for under 30$.The sound curve doesn't have the typical flaws of cheap headphones like bloated basss/lower mids and non-presence of mids and higher mids. Instead, the sound signature seems very bright - even more than my Beyerdynamic DT990s, which are famous for their strong treble - to the point of being fatigueing, especially with very drum set intensive music. However, it's not a unnatural brightness, but you may be EQing these cans - -2db treble seems just right on my FiiO E17 with these. On the lower end, they deliver enough bass for me to be fun headphones - with the downside that they don't extend into the lower bass sections and that they don't have quite the bass quantity reserve in hand that you would expect from a pair of closed back head phone (The DT990s deliver more). The bass loses texture compared to other headphones, too, but that is to be expected from small plastic enclosed drivers.
    For a 24 ohms headphone, they need quite a lot of power - they are quiter than my 32 ohms pair of Philips Fidelio L1.

As a final verdict: they are nice headphones for their price, I would recommend them to enyone who wants to take a  low-priced look at how amazing Sennheiser headphones are.
    I personally use them at home, the cable is too long for convenient mobile use and I wouln't want to be seen with a cheap plasticy headphone outside of my house. It's a good headphone for Classical, if you can live with the small sound stage, as it makes that sort of music really airy. I prefer warmer headphones for Jazz. It's inadequate for electronic genres (lack of low bass) and I find it a bit too bright for Metal and Rock .
    1. Achmedisdead
      You are right about them needing a lot of power....when I had mine I almost wondered if the listed 24 ohms was a mistake! When I got mine they were a nice step up from Sansa earbuds, but I don't miss them now. :)
      Achmedisdead, May 19, 2014
  7. rosseg
    Great value cans
    Written by rosseg
    Published Jan 11, 2014
    Pros - great sound quality for price
    Cons - long cord, overall nothing special
    Nothing much to say about these. You get a huge bang for your buck in sound quality, but build quality is what you'd expect from <$50 cans. They are by no means audiophile cans. Although, for the general masses, I would recommend them no questions asked if they are looking for budget headphones.
  8. Ketmeister
    Reference budget headphones. Hard to fault at this price.
    Written by Ketmeister
    Published Nov 14, 2013
    Pros - Low price. Decent mid /high balance. Good detail compared to other HPs in this price class. Easy to drive. Relatively comfortable.
    Cons - Build is on the cheap side. Heavy roll off in the lower frequencies. Overall sound leans on thin side.
    Hard to fault at its price.
  9. Gnomeplay
    Not Recommended
    Written by Gnomeplay
    Published Oct 23, 2012
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Cost effective, Reasonable sound quality
    Cons - Very uncomfortable, Poor fit
    I suppose it's unfair to give these headphones a completely bad wrap considering how low of a price that they retail for, and you can get them for even cheaper than that most of the time. The main issue I find with the Sennheiser HD201 is the complete lack of a proper fit or seal no matter how I try to position them on my head, this causes obvious issues with comfort coupled with the fact that the ultra-thin compressed pads barely keep the hard plastic drivers off of your ears.

Sound quality is reasonable for the cost, however better can be found - I've taken a liking to the Monoprice lineup in this price range. The HD201 actually seem to respond quite well with amplification and equalization, surprisingly well; the issue here is you'd have spent three times the price of your headphones into the source piece(s) required for you to capitalize on that.
    1. nikkojames15
      Have you tried amping it? It sounds way better with an amp, especially if you use it with an iPod.
      nikkojames15, Oct 24, 2012
    2. ggyy
      I must have a different shape head because I find them comfortable enough, maybe it's my lack of hair?
      ggyy, May 23, 2015
  10. BenYC
    Can be a great or bad headphone
    Written by BenYC
    Published Sep 3, 2012
    Pros - Sound amazing when driven by a decent amp.
    Cons - Who will drive a $30 headphone with a decent amp?
    I really cannot understand what market is this headphone targeted for.  For all I know, this headphone needs power.

If I plug this headphone to a normal portable player (no head amp), it can sound bass-less and dead because of inadequate power.

However, if I plug it to a decend head amp/integrated with enough driving, this headphone can be very pleasing, especially for a closed can.

I have a feeling that this headphone can be better received by the market (at least being treated more seriously) if the price is a few times more.

1. View previous replies...
    2. GL1TCH3D
      but they have higher end closed back like the 449?
      GL1TCH3D, Sep 3, 2012
    3. Achmedisdead
      I agree with your conclusions....with an additional amp in the picture, they just sound wimpy and lifeless from a common DAP.
      Achmedisdead, Sep 3, 2012
    4. Otrakun
      I like low priced cans that sound better with an amp.
      It means that I can recommend them to friends of mine who may be interested in upgrading in the future, and not get yelled at when they say their next headphones can't play out of their ipod.
      Otrakun, Sep 3, 2012