Sendy Audio Peacock Planar Magnetic Wood Headphone

blankdisc

500+ Head-Fier
Your Afternoon Latte
Pros: Comfortable, Great Build Quality, Nice Dynamic Sound, Beautifully Tuned Mid-range
Cons: The added reverberation may not suit everyone’s taste; Not the most neutral headphones at the price.
Disclaimer

The review unit is loaned from Musicteck for my honest review. Peacock is now available at Musicteck with an early bird discount!

Introduction

Sendy Audio is a Chinese audio company that just started its business a couple of years ago. Sendy Audio is also known as the Luxury Sub-brand of Sivga Audio. My first and experience with Sendy Audio were with their “Trailblazer” headphones—Aiva. I was thoroughly impressed by the tuning of that headphones. Back then, my verdict to the Aiva was it is extremely fine-tuned headphones with OK to decent technical performance. I was very optimistic about Sendy, and I certainly believe they can continuously deliver great value and quality headphones to the community. Gladly, I found Peacock is a HUGE step up from the Aiva when I put them on my head. I was again stunned by Sendy Audio.

1631054253650.png

Tech Inside

The primary technology highlights are “Quad Former” Technology and that giant 80mm planar driver! The details of those technologies are shown below (copied from their website).

1631054279089.png

1631054299646.png

In reality, I found Peacock has the sense of “reverb” which was rarely heard from other headphones without EQ, and I guess it is caused by the Quad-Former based on the technology descriptions. I will talk more about this in the sound analysis.

Package and Accessory

Like the predecessor Aiva, Peacock comes with the Sendy “Butt Case”. Only this time, the brown leather looks and feels a lot more premium!

The accessory is somewhat basic: it has one 8-core 6N OCC cable terminated in 4.4mm balanced. 2 adapters, one from 4.4mm to 6.35mm single end, another from 4.4mm to 4-pin balanced.

1631054325088.png

Build Design and Comfort

Peacock has two quite large houses to hold those two giant 88mm drivers. The headphone itself is on the heavier side, but the weight distribution and the ergonomics are fantastic. I can easily wear them the whole day without any issue. The overall comforts are slightly below Empyrean and HD800s(due to the weight), right there with Beyerdynamic T1 & Fostex TH900, definitely top 5 in my collection.

The build quality of Peacock is decent too. The wood frame feels very solid and assembled very well with the gold plate. However, the gold plated looks a bit cheap and plasticky. Most conners and joints are trimmed very well. Peacock’s build quality is definitely above average at the sub $1500 price bracket.
1631054630745.png

AMP: Wells Audio Headtrip II/ Cayin HA300/ SMSL SP400
DAP: Hiby R8

Comparison Headphones: Sennheiser HD800s/LSA HP-1/Hifiman HE-6

Sound Signature

I would use three words to summarize the sound signature of Peacock: Warm, Smooth, and Colored. It has a very decent dynamic performance and quite impressive speed. Although it was tuned more towards warm than neutral, the overall tonality is very appealing. Peacock is one of those “synthetic sounds” but done well. You will find some apparent artificial tastes, but they are beautifully organized together as a whole aural presentation.

The closest headphones to Peacock in terms of sound signature are Audeze LCD3 (pf), and ZMF Verite Closed from all the headphones I have heard. You can imagine a more open, slightly brighter, and more detailed LCD 3 or a more open sounding, slightly warmer ZMF VC then plus a little reverb, minus some transparency, that would be the Peacock.

Stage and Image

The soundstage of Peacock is surprisingly wide horizontally. The instrument separation is also fantastic at its price. The positioning is reasonably good, only in the Z-axis direction, Peacock does reach very far no matter which system I tested it on.

The image is on the larger side, but don’t worry, it is still accurate. The only problem is that some K-pop, J-pop, and C-pop were recorded with a very upfront vocal position; the vocal image appears too large when playing these tracks. I found it sometimes interrupts my enjoyment.

Bass

The bass from Peacock is relaxed with significant decay and great texture. The speed is OK for many genres, but the bass seems a little slow when it comes to Metal and some EDM records. When pair Peacock with Headtrip, the bass is much tighter than the pair with SP400 and HA300.

The sub-bass of Peacock reaches pretty deep, but when it goes to the deepest frequency, the bass started to loosen up, the image begins to diffuse. The mid-bass has enough bass quantity, and the mid-bass attack leans towards the soft and gentle side. You will get an excellent bass texture when listening to the double bass in the jazz and classic tracks, but it is not ideal for electronic bass or bass drums.

Mid

The mid-range is the most attractive part of this headphone. Peacock delivers a significantly more flavored and enjoyable mid-range than many other headphones at this price range like HD800s and LSA-HP-1. I would say the overall mid and vocal performance is very close to Empyrean and ZMF Veritie Closed. Natural tune with a touch of added sweetness and warmness makes the mid of Peacock very invigorating yet smooth.

You can easily grab a ton of details while listening to acoustic guitar and other string instruments sitting between upper-mid to lower treble. The transition is also fantastic from mid to treble. It is gaplessly smooth.

The only part that I don’t like about the mid is the “reverberation”. The added reverberation somehow makes some tracks sound less transparent than those from other headphones that I have tested. Sometimes it is a little bit unnatural.

Treble

The upper range of Peacock is on the neutral to the darker side. It is about as dark as VC( if not darker). The details are there, but the presences are not that dominant because of this dark signature.

The lower treble from Peacock is very smooth and creamy. Some of the cymbals and snare resonances(from upper mid) are noticeably rolled off. At the ultra-high frequency, you will find it is well polished. It is a good yet bad thing. You will have a very easy-going upper treble without any fatigue. Still, as a trade-off, you will also lose the exciting experience when listening to some trumpet-heavy songs.

Comparison

I have compared Peacock to all the headphones in my collection. I was surprised by how close it is to some of the best and most expansive headphones in the market. For the headphones at around the $1500 price range, Peacock is highly competitive.

Peacock v.s. HD800s

Both two headphones have a huge soundstage. You will not have any problem in position and separation with either of these headphones. HD800s is still a better performer in terms of 3-dimensional scaling. But when it comes to texture, tactility, and frequency distribution, Peacock is the superior headphone. You will have a more colorful mid, a more refined treble, and more impactful bass with Peacock.

Peacock v.s. LSA HP-1

HP-1 is one of my best discoveries in 2021 so far. LSA HP-1 is perfectly neutral, uncolored, and pure. Peacock, on the other side, is beautifully colored. It is something that has its own attitude. The bass from HP-1 is tighter and has more attacks, whereas Peacock’s bass is softer but more impactful. The mid from HP-1 is almost perfectly neutral and linear, but Peacock is noticeably colored with more presence between 500Hz to around 2kHz. In the treble, HP-1 has the attack and some well-controlled sparkles that Peacock is missing. Peacock has some smooth yet still fun treble under a creamy coating that can be rarely found from other headphones. Both headphones are masterpieces at this price!

Peacock v.s. HE6

HE6 was my reference headphones under $2000. The synergy between HE6 and Headtrip is fabulous. With power, HE6 can deliver a crystal clear sound, TOTL level clarity, and transparency. HE6 is all about micros, where you can get an insane amount of details, very precise microdynamics, extremely fitted image size… However, Peacock is always more enjoyable to my ears when it comes to the musicality, engagement, fluidity, macro soundstage, and tonality.

Ultimately, I would rank Peacock, 1 tier below Susvara, 1266, and D8000 pro for the overall placement. A half tier above HD8000s and TH900, and pretty much the same tier with LSA-HP1 and Hifiman HE6( with proper amp).

Peacock/$1499Bass885
Dynamic9
Speed9
Image9

Final Verdict

Peacock is one of the best headphones I discovered in 2021, along with HP-1. It not only has a beautiful design and comfortable fit but also sounds fantastic. The unique yet enjoyable tuning can easily draw your attention in a mild and gentle approach. It quickly took the place of HD800s in my line-up as my new so-called “multitasking” headphones. I really enjoy using Peacock while working or reading. The sound is cozy, refined, and comforting, just like a cup of Latte that can relieve all your tiredness. I highly recommend you test Peacock. If you like its tuning, it may be a “giant killer” for you.

1631054645868.png

1631054656552.png

1631054382973.png
Reactcore
Have you ever tried other cushions on hd800? I have (synthetic) leather ones on mine which are about twice as thick as the original.. and find it gives a bit warmthness and notably better bass performance.. on some tracks it really rumbles and i can weirdly feel it even in my stomach
Quickanddirty
Quickanddirty
Seems a bit like the Hifiman HE 500?! Could you do a quick comparison?
beardz
beardz
Have you experienced any detrimental effects on ergonomics because of the angle at which the cable connects to the earcups? It seems that the connectors are angled way forward, which I imagine might be somewhat inconvenient with stiffer cables. Stock one looks to be totally fine, though... it just seems a little unusual to put the connectors in this position. Stellar review by the way!

DesignTaylor

100+ Head-Fier
Pros: All-day comfort, rich fluid presentation, rewarding depth and detail.
Cons: Not inexpensive, not as transparent as some might want, a lot of look.
My Tastes and Background
I come from the world of 2-channel and love vinyl and tube amps. Over the past several years I’ve tried a ton of headphone gear. If I had to state a preference I’d say I’m an R2R DAC, tube amp, open back planar kind of guy (although I totally dig on dynamic cans, estats, SS amps and all kinds of gear). In terms of “house sound” I probably lean toward Kennerton and ZMF.

I tried to read as little about these headphones as possible prior to reviewing to avoid influence.

Unboxing and First Impressions
As with some of their other offerings, Sendy Audio has put a lot of effort into making the headphones, accessories, and packaging feel special. I’ve had my hands on much more expensive headphones that felt less exciting upon first impression. The build feels solid, the headband structure works well, and the materials seem to be high quality. What you think of the looks comes down to personal taste. For me, it's just a little over the top.

Accessories
The Peacock comes with a handsome travel case and a nice cable system. The cable terminates in a 4.4mm balanced connector and includes adapters for both quarter-inch TRS and 4-pin XLR connections. The headphone side of the cable terminates in push-pull style 4-pin connectors you find on Dan Clark Audio headphones. I’m not a huge fan of these since they are a bit fiddly and you are less likely to already own aftermarket cables that work with this system. On the plus side, they feel very secure when connected and I don’t feel any urgency to replace the included cable.

My Setup
I let the headphones burn in for a bit before digging in which I think they really needed as they continue to tighten up the more I listen. I listened to the Peacock with a couple of DAC (Border Patrol, Chord Mojo, and Denifrips Pontus II) and amp (A&S Bigger Ben, Schiit Mjolnir, Decware Taboo, and Audio-GD NFB-1AMP) combinations. I had a few pairs of headphones on hand as well to help provide perspective.

Listening Impressions
Ok, enough preamble, how does it sound? When I put them on the first few times words like smooth, rich, and forgiving immediately came to mind. This headphone has a pretty different approach when compared to similarly priced offerings which tend to be eager to show off their technical prowess. With the Peacock, details are not yanked from the track and shoved into your ear canals but rather bubble up unobtrusively. When you bring your focus to the music you’re rewarded with a surprising sense of depth and texture. The details are present but not as immediately accessible, they are instead interwoven into a thicker, softer, and more fluid presentation. The Peacock does not break the music apart for analysis but rather encourages the listener to take a moment and just relax. I’ve heard many headphones with better separation, greater detail retrieval, and more energy, but I don’t think that’s what Sendy Audio was going for.

To my ear, the Peacock was most successful with musical pieces that featured less layering and complexity. Solo piano, chamber music, jazz quartets, and pieces that focused on a vocalist with more restrained instrumentation were all very enjoyable to sink into. I had some nice moments rocking out and kicking it with some beat-driven tracks, but with highly complex music the fluid presentation of the Peacock was less enjoyable. That being said, the Peacock can definitely grab your attention when a more energetic track pops up in your playlist. If you drive the Peacock a little harder it has the ability to wake up and get the party started.

Let’s run through the tonal range quickly.
  • Highs - Easy going, good definition. Nonfatiguing for all-day listening.
  • Upper mids - Could use a little more energy for my taste.
  • Mids - Full-bodied with a little pocket of space around them. Very nice.
  • Lower mids - You guessed it, thick. This HP definitely carries its weight down low.
  • Bass - Plentiful but not super tight. Enjoyed the rumble but could be a bit tidier.

The soundstage strikes a nice balance between giving the listener a good amount of space without losing a sense of connection. Vocals come forward stepping out from the instrumentation but aren’t so intimate as to feel like they are inside your head.

Pairings
I found the Peacocks benefited from a signal that has a bit more structure. So from the DACs I had on hand the Pontus was the best match. Thinking back to my Chord Qutest days I could imagine that being an even better match.

The Peacocks got along pretty well with most of the amps I had available. The Taboo was probably my favorite combo (once I got the tubes dialed in). It offered a nice sense of openness with its built-in Lucid mode, had a good amount of punch to keep things lively, but also celebrated the inherent sweetness of the headphones. I think a lot of people would dig the NFB-1AMP pairing as that amp excels at emphasizing separation and clarity. The Mjolnir was the least successful to my ears with its very thick sound signature.

If you like tube rolling or digital EQing you can definitely push this headphone to be more in line with your taste. I found that the right rectifier tube did wonders to tighten up the bass presentation.

Competition
Considering the price ($1,500) and typology (open-backed planar) if you are interested in this headphone you might be cross-shopping the Audeze LCD-X, Hifiman Arya, DCA Ether Flow, and LSA HP-1 (made by Kennerton). I’ve not heard all of these headphones but I’ve heard several things from each of these manufacturers and think I have a sense of the approximate house sound of each brand.

Audeze and Kennerton feel closer to me in that they both offer a fuller sound signature. I think the Peacock differentiates from both of those brands. It is smoother than the HP-1 and a bit more open and playful than the Audezes I’ve heard. Not necessarily better or worse, just different and which you prefer totally comes down to taste. Also, please take this section with a big grain of salt as I’m going from memory and not A/B testing.

Takeaways and Recommendations
If you are looking for a crazy energetic, impactful, and sharp-natured set of cans this is probably not the right choice for you. If you’re more of a pleasure seeker but still want a technically competent set of headphones then the Peacocks could be a great fit. As a self-proclaimed audio nerd I totally geek out on gear with superhuman technical capabilities but as a music lover, I often feel like that same gear is just pulling me out of the listening experience. I don’t think the Peacocks are without their faults, but I am happy to have an option that offers a more relaxed and fun-loving point of view in this performance tier.

Peacock_01.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
    Peacock_02.jpg
DesignTaylor
dsrk
dsrk
Excellent review. I am absolutely looking for this kind of sound signature. This one is on my list to buy next.

Hifiearspeakers

Headphoneus Supremus
Sendy Audio Peacock
Pros: Build, comfort, accessories, soundstage
Cons: Could be smooth to a fault for some, not the tightest bass
In my opinion, the most important part of a headphone review, is to first understand the sound preferences of the reviewer. All descriptions of a headphone are irrelevant unless you have a reference point for the reviewer.
What headphone(s) does the reviewer like and prefer? And what qualities of a headphone does the reviewer value?

WHAT'S YOUR (P) REFERENCE

So before I talk about Sendy Audio's current flagship headphone, the Peacock, I want to talk a little bit about the ZMF Verite (open). The Verite is my reference and preference headphone.

The Verite is my favorite headphone of all time, at any price. It has this uncanny ability to, simultaneously, sound highly detailed and smooth at the same time. In my opinion, this is a supremely difficult formula to master.

It also has a fairly wide and holographic soundstage. And although it's not the widest that I've heard, it can make it sound like sounds are popping out from behind your head. I love that soundstage effect.

Of course anyone who has ever seen a ZMF product knows they're gorgeous to look at and are built impeccably by hand. They're also very comfortable due to a fantastic headband system. So to me, they represent the total package.
So those are the qualities in a headphone that make me smile. By the way, I fully acknowledge that the Verite is not a "neutral" headphone.

WHAT DO YOU LIKE

In general, I prefer headphones that don't stray too far from neutral, but lean more towards the smoother end of the spectrum, as I am moderately sensitive to upper mids and treble harshness.
That said, I don't want a headphone that lacks detail and resolution (appropriate for its price point).

For example, I love the detail, resolution, and soundstage of the Sennheiser 800S, but it's too fatiguing for me to listen to for a prolonged period of time. So that being said, you know I'm not going to like the tuning of many Beyerdynamics, Grados, or Ultrasones.

WHAT DID YOU USE

So for my review, most of my listening was done with the Singxer SA-1 amplifier in low gain and Modius DAC. I mainly listened to the Peacock balanced, since the Singxer is a balanced amp. I chose the SA-1 so that I could quickly switch between the Verite (XLR) and Peacock (4.4mm) while both were running balanced.

WHAT'S THE COMFORT AND BUILD LIKE

The build quality is simply excellent for its price. The Peacock is made almost entirely of wood, metal, and high quality leather. It absolutely shames the flimsy, plastic build of the Hifiman Arya. And in spite of the use of premium materials, it's still very comfortable to wear. The earcups allow some swivel and the clamping force is light-moderate.

Compared to something that costs more than it, like the HEDDphone, it still comes out on top. While the HEDDphone is made fairly well, it uses a lot more plastic, is much heavier in weight, and has a much higher clamping force. As a former owner of the HEDDphone, I can personally say that its lack of comfort was a deal breaker. For all the premium materials of the Peacock, it's still much lighter and much more comfortable.

I think it's built better than the entire Audeze LCD 2,3, and 4(since they're all built the same). Audeze does use premium materials but I have had too many problems with their headband system. For some unknown reason, Audeze doesn't create enough space between the headband and comfort strap. So when worn, the comfort strap will come into contact with the metal headband, which will quickly create a hot spot. I had no such issue with the Peacock and I had the headband at full extension. I also find it inexcusable that Audeze uses glued on earpads for their entire LCD line, including the 4 and 4Z, that retail for $4000! The Peacock is nearly 1/3 that cost so they get a pass to use any method they like to mount their earpads.

Serious question though: why can't more companies use super, user-friendly magnetic earpad attachments like Abyss, Meze, and Ultrasone?

WHAT ABOUT THE BASS

The bass is fairly solid and definitely not lacking. The sub bass is present and doesn't sound like there's much roll off down to 20hz. The mid bass sounds just a little north of neutral by maybe 3 or 4 db's, which I like. To my ears, completely neutral bass just doesn't give music enough body and soul.

I think the quantity of the mid bass is just about perfect, but it sounds just a tad spongy. I would prefer it to be tighter, but I'll take a little spongy over anemic every day of the week. It doesn't hit quite as hard as the Verite or decay as fast, but at half the price, it's no slouch! I'd say the bass quantity sits between the Verite and Auteur.

On some tracks, the mid bass can sound a little subdued, even though I said earlier that it has sufficient quantity. But I think that is more of a tuning issue of the mids, rather than the amount of bass. I'll talk more about this next.

WHAT ABOUT THE MIDS

The mids are where I have a little issue with the Peacock. There is a broad elevation somewhere in the neighborhood of 900hz - 2khz. And then it is followed by an upper mid recession, and a toned-down treble region as well.

This presents a small problem because it throws off the tonal balance and higher order harmonics. I think this tuning makes it harder to pick out finer details. We all know that a higher volume will bring out more mid bass impact as well as treble detail, due to the Fletcher-Munson curve.

But the Peacock already has extra energy in the low-mids, so if you try to turn up the volume to bring out more of the bass and treble, then the mids can become a little shouty. I actually don't think the Peacock lacks detail for its price point, but the stock tuning can make it seem that way. In my opinion, the balance amongst the lower mids, upper mids, and treble needs a little work.

WHAT ABOUT THE TREBLE

The treble of the Peacock is on the more relaxed and smooth side. As someone who does not like bright headphones, I tend to prefer this type of tuning. However, this has to be balanced with the rest of the frequency spectrum or music can sound dull and lifeless.

Again, I think the treble quantity is actually sufficient for detail, if the lower mids weren't so elevated and the upper mids weren't so recessed. But based on the tuning as it is, I feel the Peacock could use a tad more treble energy. But then that opens up another can of worms, because if you EQ more treble, then you're going to have to EQ more bass. In my opinion, Sendy Audio would have covered a multitude of sins if they simply had a flatter tuning of the mids.

AT THE END OF THE DAY

At the end of the day, I really enjoyed the Sendy Audio Peacock. In general, it is tuned more towards my preference, as I don't like bright headphones. It is built well, comfortable to wear, includes a high quality cable, and has an exceptional soundstage. It's ability to create "ambience" might be its greatest strength. It's certainly my favorite part of it.

In all honesty, the Peacock reminds me of the Audeze house sound, but with a better stock tuning (even though it could also use a little EQ), and a significantly wider soundstage. From a pure enjoyment standpoint, I'd take it over the entire LCD line except the LCD 4. It's just a more enjoyable listen.

However, I do have to say that I think Sendy took it just a smidge too far towards the smooth and relaxed end of the spectrum.

Compared to the Verite, the Peacock lacks a little refinement and articulation. Since it's a planar and the Verite is a dynamic, you'd expect more snap in the transients or leading edges of notes. But that is not the case. Sounds from the Peacock have a little extra butter on them. I guess I'm saying some may find the Peacock smooth to a fault.

I like the extra body in the lower mids, because it prevents the mids from sounding lean or anemic. But you need to balance that extra energy out with the upper mids and treble for clarity.

But what it lacks in refinement, it makes up for with "atmosphere". With the right recording, the Peacock can make a normal track almost sound binaural. It just has such great width to its soundstage that it can "paint" music with a large canvas. So ambient and electronic music sound downright majestic on it. Actually, anything mixed to take advantage of soundstage sounds great with these; think Hans Zimmer for example.

It's smooth tonal balance does also mean it's very forgiving of poor recordings. I really think the Peacock strikes a nice balance between technical and fun. It extracts sufficient detail for its price point without ever sounding sterile.

In terms of only technical proficiency, it neither competes with the summit-fi offerings from Abyss or Hifiman, nor does it's price stake that claim anyway. But I do place it at the top end of mid-fi. But when you factor in the total package of build quality, cable quality, accessories, comfort, and staging ability, it extends closer to summit-fi than many other headphones in its pricing hierarchy.

FOR WHOM DO YOU RECOMMEND

I recommend the Peacock to anyone who likes the Audeze LCD house sound but has always wanted more soundstage than they offer. If you prefer headphones that are on the smoother and more forgiving side, then these are for you.

If you prefer a bright and analytical sound like the Hifiman HEK line, Abyss Diana Phi, Sennheiser hd 800, Beyerdynamic T1, etc., then these are not for you.

If you liked the trippy soundstage of the Hifiman Arya, but wished they weren't so etchy and bright in the upper mids and treble, then you need to audition these. The soundstage of the Peacock is not as tall as the Arya, but it's even wider.

If you like the ZMF Verite but can't afford it, these may make you smile for half the price.

If you like the tuning of the ZMF Auteur but find it just a tad too neutral, you may want to try these.

If you like the more relaxed sound of the Sennheiser HD650, and are looking for an upgrade path with a similar tonality, then put these on your list.

If you love the staging capability of the Sennheiser 800S, but want more bass, less brightness, more soul, and don't mind sacrificing a little detail and technical proficiency, then take these for a ride.

If all you care about is technical performance, you are not impressed by soundstage and ambience, and you always want your coffee black and never with cream or sugar, then sashay away from these.

EB4ACAAD-7518-43A2-A348-8A45988A2885.jpeg
Last edited:
Hifiearspeakers
AT Khan
AT Khan
Very nice review. Seems like an honest review.
These look pretty nice and probably sound as good.
Only complaint I really have is that "DESIGNED BY SENDY, QUAD FORMER yada yada".
They'd look even better had they skipped this etching and kept a lower branding profile.
Reactcore
Nice mature review👍 lol affraid of emty wallets.. i stayed away from even trying planars and trustly kept my modded hd800's 1st gen. Bought new for €900 in 2012.. but u guys bring me dangerously close to try