4.83333/5,
  1. Metalboy
    Written by Metalboy
    Published Jan 11, 2015
    Pros - Extreme clarity, imaging yet very musical sounding.
    Cons - Lack of accessories
    This is a small review of the 10 driver Rhapsodio ciem.

Rhapsodio 10 Driver
    10 balanced armatures/5-Way

Build Quality 85/100

Some imperfections like bubbles but overall great build quality.

Bass 97/100

Very fast, highly detailed. Can keep up with anything. Its boosted a little bit above neutral but overall this is a very neutral ciem. The bass is very similar to NT6 pros bass but a little less impact-full subbass and a tiny bit more midbass.

Mids 100/100

Best mids I have ever heard. Very neutral, extreme clarity. No other ciem/headphones can compete with these in my opinion that I have heard. The imaging and instrument separation is amazing.

Treble 99/100

The highs on the 10Ba are very extended and has amazing clarity with a bit of a smooth sound. Cymbals sound very natural. Only one Ciem that I have heard beats these in this department.

With 8,5/10
    Depth 10/10

They have a very deep soundstage with lots layers and with the best instrument separation I have ever heard.

Summary
    Highly recommended if you look for a ciem with a neutral sound. The best ciem/iem I have ever heard.

Here is what my other ciems would score

JH Audio Roxanne (reshelled by Perfect Seal labs)

Build Quality 85/100
    Bass 96/100
    Mids 97/100
    Treble 87/100
    Soundstage 9,5
    With 9,5
    Depth 9/10

NT6 Pro (don´t have these anymore)

Build Quality 90/100

Treble 42/100

Soundstage 8/10
    With 8/10
    Depth 8/10

Spiral Ear SE5 (reshelled by Custom art)

Build Quality 90/100
    Bass 96/100
    Mids 94/100
    Treble 100/100
    With (varies a bit from song to song) 8~9

AmberOzL likes this.
    2. cheflatte
      Where did you purchase these? Thanks
      cheflatte, Jan 11, 2015
    3. Metalboy
      Directly from rhapsodio
      Metalboy, Jan 12, 2015
    4. DimitriTrush
      How do this compare to Noble Audio Kaiser 10.
      Both are 10 BA correct. Price wise is almost same as far as I understand..
      DimitriTrush, Jun 8, 2015
  2. karanehir35
    The Fantastic Sound
    Written by karanehir35
    Published Oct 21, 2018
    Pros - Bass Quality
    Fullness and Sweet Mids
    Detailed but Relaxing Treble
    Cons - The Housing is a bit large
    Soundstage is not very wide
    Mids missing some transparency
    Rhapsodio Solar Review

Rhapsodio is a Hong Kong based company and the owner is Sammy.

The Solar is a IEM with 10 Balanced armature driver units, 4 passive crossover and 3 main acoustic pipes. I have tested the Solar with the 2.98G/ 8 braided upgraded cable that bring this IEM to a different level especially the mids and detail and have also used the Noble K10U stock cable. I want advise to those who want buy the Solar, that they should get this special cable.

MATERIAL QULITY

The Solar is in terms of size bigger than the Noble K10 and a bit smaller than the Rosie IEM. It has a custom like shell and is sitting comfortable in my ears and I lıke the fit very much. Maybe people who have smaller ears will have problems with the fit.
    DSC_0333.JPG

The Solar comes with an acrylic housing and build quality of this housing is solid and they are no imperfections such as openings etc. The quality of the housing is perfect.
    images (13).jpeg

The 2 pin connectors on the housing are not too tight like on the K10 and lose like on other IEMs. It is easy to put in and out the cable that makes a cable swapping not an issue.

The cable is very robust and the braiding of this 8 core braided cable is tight and they are no big gaps.

We can say in short that the Solar has a build quality that is worth its price. Don’t mind that the Solar looks a bit rough, it is a very esthetic IEM.

SOUND QUALITY

The Solar has a slightly and wide angled V shaped sound character and is an IEM that sounds on the warmer side. Yes, it is warm but not is not as dark like the Heir 5.

The Solar sounds vivid and detailed, thanks to the slightly bright treble factor
    e8ad464478ea3b1203f7e5348e9d6743.jpg
    Lows

The Solar has a strong and deep lower frequency presentation. This is the area where the Solar is surpassing its price with its detail. I can say that the Solar is in this regarding better than other totl IEMs (for example K10/Adel U12 etc.). The lows have also not the sort of sub-bass presentation that comes from only one point. The Solar is transmitting the lows with good separating to the ears. I have also the opinion that the Solar IEM has a bass presentation that is close to real and natural sound.

The mid-bass comes is soft with body to my ears. The mid-bass is not compressing the stage except some songs with high instrument density. The Solar has not a midbass focused bass presentation like the Noble K10 and is more sub-bass focused that makes it very pleasant to listen. The bass speed in genres like metal music is above average due to the bass extensions that is a bit higher than normal. But I have had no issues with many songs with exception of some critical listening’s. The Solar is in short an IEM with strong, tight and highly detailed lows.

Mids

Solar is a IEM with V shaped character that makes the mids a bit recessed. The sound is with the stock cable a bit recessed but is surprisingly upfront with the 8 core braided upgrade cable. The mids still a bit more recessed than those of the K10’s but the fact that the upgrade cable brings the mids upfront makes it very pleasant.

The Solar’s mid area has a presentation where instruments are a little bit behind the vocals. The vocals are warm, bodied and musical. People who like listen to vocals will like this. The instrument separation of the Solar is pretty good due to the wide and deep stage. They are only some problems with songs that have a high instrument density, but the general performance is quite successful. My only complaint to the mids is the slightly veiled presentation in this region. I would only wish that the 8 core cable could add more clearness and transparency to the sound that is otherwise perfect, with exception in some songs that I use for critical listening.

In shorts, there is missing only some clearness/transparency in the mids area and it would be very nice if they could add some brightness like in the treble area. His could make the Solar even better than the Fitear tg334. The resolution in this area is good enough for this price level.

The instrument timber in the lower regions is on a high level with the Solar that makes it suitable with jazz to ethnic music. The Solar IEM is showing a good separation between instruments and the vocals. Yes, it has a warm tonality in this area but that doesn’t mean that there is too much air with warm character between instruments. The air between instruments is filled with a neutral air that is not warm and makes the general separation successful.
    939f4a45a9a084c7820b21a2d1ae98ec.jpg

Trebles

The brightness, which is more present in the treble area than in the lower frequency’s and mids is avoiding the Solar to be classified as a warm and dark IEM and makes it to a member of detailed and vivid sounding IEMs. The treble has a slightly bright and prominent tonality. The only downside in the treble area is the extensions that does not extend enough forward. Instruments such as cymbals have good definition but the extensions are a bit too short in certain genres.

I do like the transition between the upper mids because of the soft and controlled presentation. The treble is not annoying in high notes of pianos, in the opposite it is sounding quite soft. Which I like too, about the Solar’s treble is the presentation of the side flute that doesn’t sounded like a horn. Especially the separation of instruments in classical genres such as Concerto’s and Quartets gave me some hours of pleasant listening. The Solar is in my opinion a rarely to found IEM, because of its success in both jazz/classical and pop/electronic music genres. The speed of Solar’s treble is good enough for some genres such as heavy metal or trash metal. But at times it may not be enough for some extreme fast metal songs.

In short, many people will enjoy the Solar’s sub-frequency power, wide/deep stage, instrument separation, silent & black background, full bodied & musical mids and vivid treble presentation.

Comparison with the Noble K10

The Solar and K10 are successful in the lower frequencies such as mid-bass and the sub-bass depth. The main focus of the K10 is the mid-bass, but I found the Solar mores successful in both sub- and mid-bass regions, because it has the ability to make cleaner and more powerful hits and has also the better lower frequency resolution.

The K10 has a mids that are more upfront and better resolution than the Solar. But the vocal performance is a bit subjective, because I found the K10 more successful with female and the Solar with male vocals, that’s because the Solar sounds fuller and has a more natural timber. If Solar have had more transparency and brightness in the mids, it could maybe more successful than K10.

The upper midrange of the K10'un is more pronounced than Solar. Bu the treble is equal in terms of quality. The treble of the Solar and the K10 does not extend enough forward and here is a quick decay while listening to instruments like bells, cymbals. The K10 has some issues with songs where you can find a high density of instruments, because it was hard to define instruments for example a side flute in a song. It was easier to define this side flute with the Solar due to the wider stage, which makes it more successful in this area. The general speed of this IEM’s with genres like for example trash metal is not the best I have heard before, but I can say that I found the K10 faster and more successful in such genres.

The Solar is superior to the K10 in terms of stage width, that has not a very wide soundstage I found the two IEMs at satisfactory levels in terms of soundstage depth.
    The Solar is in general more successful in relation of instruments separation and the K10 in terms of definition. In the symphonic music recordings, where treble instruments and mid instruments were used together, the Solar’s mid-bass fogged out, while the K10 have had mixing issues and loosed the control in the upper midrange. I can say that the Solar was more successful in this records than the K10, due to its larger soundstage and the better/correct instrument positioning.
    939f4a45a9a084c7820b21a2d1ae98ec.jpg
      mrhero, chaturanga and Moonstar like this.
  3. rookie2009
    Rhapsodio Solar - A Gem Among Stones
    Written by rookie2009
    Published Dec 17, 2015
    Pros - Nice full sound, large soundstage, excellent detail without causing fatigue..
    Cons - Packaging could be more premium, could include more accessories...

Disclaimer: First attempt at a review so be nice [​IMG], but more importantly my impressions are subjective,each person can often have varying opinions on monitors,different strokes for different folks etc..

Introduction:
    Hailing from a small studio from Hong Kong under the tutelage of Chun Yin Mak Mak, or better known to us head-fiers as Sammy are Rhapsodio with their 10 driver balanced armature in ear monitor called “Solar”. They are a small team and have been in existence since 2012, but are making giant strides in the competitive world of in ear monitor manufacturers. Sammy is very extensive in his research and driver configurations and this can be seen in the Rhapsodio product range which caters from single dynamic driver in ear monitors, to 6 driver in ear monitors to the aforementioned Solar which is a 10 driver.

However, while normally most companies offer a standard copper stock cable with their monitors, Rhapsodio are unique in that they also offer super high quality upgrade cables to complement their range of monitors.I can say from my correspondence with Sammy during my purchase that he is very helpful throughout the entire process, which I appreciated as personally speaking, customer service is as important as the product you receive.

Build Quality and Packaging:
    The Solar arrived in a Rhapsodio branded Pelican style hard case which offers adequate protection. In this case of course are the Solar themselves in all their glory along with an impressive looking cable connected to them. What really impressed me was the build quality of the monitors themselves, to me they look beautiful with their 24k gold nuggets fused together with the black shell to form something that will rival the most aesthetic monitors available in the market today. They utilize the traditional 2 pin connection as used in ciem’s, which I personally prefer to mmcx connections as I feel they are more secure.

IMG_20151217_125907.jpg

In addition to that, the stock cable is perhaps the most impressive I have ever received with a monitor and I have owned plenty ranging from companies such as Noble Audio, Heir Audio, and JH Audio. The 3.5mm jack is of high quality with adequate strain relief, while the actual cable is constructed of 5N silver plated OCC copper. We then have a metal Y-split and a plastic slider suitable for chin locking. The ear guides on the cable utilize memory wire which is hidden from view by some black shielding. Microphonics are non-existent with this cable which is another positive
    We also receive a variety of ear tips to choose from, the stock tips from Rhapsodio which I believe are called “Wind” tips and also the ever growing in popularity Spinfit ear tips. The Spinfit provided are the Taiwan version which are a touch more stiff/rigid than the Japanese Sarounbi version which are very flexible.

I would describe the shells of the Solar as the “universal custom” type in comparison to some of the more generic shapes you see available. I think Rhapsodio have really nailed this fit wise and somehow managed to keep the size to a minimum to ensure it does not protrude from the ear like a Frankenstein bolt (yes JH Audio, I’m looking at you [​IMG]). It’s a really snug fit with pretty good isolation once you use an adequate tip, and if you are like me you will amassed several brands of ear tips at this stage to aid you when using universals. I would recommend people have a look at the JVC Spiral Dots, Sony Hybrid, or Ultimate Ears tips if the provided tips from Rhapsodio do not agree with you.

IMG_20151217_125119.jpg

IMG_20151217_125200.jpg

For this evaluation I will be using the Solar from a Chord Hugo with my Sony NWZX2 as a source and a 7n crystal copper interconnect.

IMG_20151217_130704.jpg

IMG_20151217_130806.jpg

Bass:
    If I were to describe the bass of the Solar, it would have to be punchy. By no means do I consider myself a basshead but at the same time a monitor must have adequate response in this department. The Solar has plentiful bass, digs deep when the recording you are listening to requires it to, thus making it an enjoyable experience with excellent transient attack and fast note decay. There is no bleed from the bass into the midrange either which can be the case with some monitors and is to the detriment of the performance of the midrange. To my ears the bass performs very well across all genres, bravo.

Midrange:
    I consider the Solar to be a full sounding monitor with a balanced sounding signature, with the midrange perhaps being pushed back by the smallest of margins but not to the extent that I would consider this even close a U or V-shaped monitor. The Heir 8.0 is one of the richest sounding monitors I have owned previously. From memory the Solar is not quite as rich or lush as something like that, but simply put this is a superior tuned monitor in comparison to the midrange on the 8.0.

Personally I have a diverse taste in music but mostly I listen to hard rock or metal (Megadeth, Iron Maiden etc) and the Solar brings a fullness to guitars which make listening to these particular genres really fun. To me, there are no obvious peaks or dips in the midrange, just a smooth enjoyable experience without congestion in this range.

Treble:
    I would describe the treble of the Solar as sweet, but at the same time it somehow manages to retain a great amount of detail without it becoming piercing or harsh. There is absolutely no sibilance either which can often be an issue for me at times with some monitors (often this can be due to poorly mastered recordings too). If I were to compare Solar to something like the AKG K3003,the Solar is undoubtedly a lot less fatiguing to my ear, often with the K3003 I might have to take a break if I was listening for a couple of hours, but that may be down to the Knowles 30017 speaker it uses which is very detail orientated. My point is that you can listen to the Solar for extended listening sessions yet somehow it keeps all that detail without being fatiguing which is really a great achievement by Rhapsodio here.

IMG_20151217_125945.jpg

Soundstage:
    In terms of soundstage to date, the most impressive I’ve heard was the JH Audio Roxanne Universal, but the Solar is certainly not far off it providing great width and depth but ultimately perhaps not to the same level of the Roxanne,however it certainly bests my Sennheiser IE800 or AKG K3003 . Imaging on the Solar is top class, some of the most impressive I have experienced to date with great separation, you could lay back and pinpoint each instrument on stage such is the quality, overall a very coherent experience.

Summary:
    If you are seeking a top of the line in ear monitor that does everything very well, then the Rhapsodio Solar may be the one for you. The full presentation and large soundstage performs amazingly well across all genres. Prior to receiving the Solar my favourite monitor was the JH Audio Roxanne which comes with a slightly coloured presentation as JH Audio tend to have their own house sound. Based on sound quality and ergonomics, it seems I may have a new favourite in ear monitor on my hands.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Rhapsodio Solar to other head-fiers,it certainly warrants its place alongside other top of the line iems from rival companies and I look forward to seeing what Rhapsodio produce in the future [​IMG].

Price: $1350

Links:

Specifications:
    ·         4-way passive crossover design

·         10 balanced armature drivers (2 tweeters, 2 high, 4 mid, 2 bass)

·         Frequency response: 20 ~ 20,000 Hz

·         Impedance: 26ohm

·         1 year international warranty

·         Bundles with 5N Silver Plated OCC Copper Cable

proedros, Kerouac and flinkenick like this.
    2. Ivabign
      Excellent review - just so hard to read with my Solar 40 miles (but 2 days) away from me - I'm glad that you enjoy them. Can't wait to join the club.
      Ivabign, Dec 20, 2015
    3. rookie2009
      Thanks Reggie :) One thing for sure is that it will make a nice Christmas gift for yourself!! Hope you enjoy it!
      rookie2009, Dec 20, 2015
    4. proedros
      great review and the K3003 comparison was very helpful indeed

proedros, Jan 27, 2016
  4. RRC-Tyr
    Rhapsodio Solars: Hidden Gem in the IEM World
    Written by RRC-Tyr
    Published May 11, 2016
    Pros - Bass depth and impact, Great mids, resolution and clarity
    Cons - Lack of accessories
    The Solar
    -10 balanced armature drivers

Introduction
    To start, this is my first time writing a review so please bear with me and I would also like to put a disclaimer that everything written here is based on my opinion only and does not in any way undermine products from other manufacturers.

13101326_10206454002734345_365942017_n.jpg
    (Credits to my friend for photo above)

Information
    For the source, I am using an LG G4 running Onkyo HD Player through a MicroUSB OTG cable into the Chord Mojos. Music genre ranges from pop, rock and instrumentals most of which are from Japanese artists like Nana Mizuki, BACK-ON, SPHERE, fripSide and the like. Below will be a list of a few songs listened to for this review. Lastly, all music formats listened to are in FLAC. The Solars used for this review is the Universal version with Rhapsodio's very own "wind" tips (L). This was used as it provided the best fit out everything else. Though I didn't get a chance to take a photo for comparison, I would say the IEM is roughly, if not the same size as JH Audio Angie's. So if you have ears that are in the smaller side, I would suggest getting the custom version. Also, before anything
    Sammy also allows one to put a custom logo and designs/colors not in the website. Feel free to contact Sammy for requests, he is an approachable guy and really nice if I may add.

Treble
    First off, this is the only element in the Solars that I would say does not 100% fit my preference. To start with, the treble is quite sparkly at least for my taste. Though not my cup of tea, it contributes to the overall fun sound signature of the Solar. Quoting what Sammy said 'after around 100-150 hours of burn in, it should lessen'. The sparkle can easily be heard on relatively high volumes especially on high pitched female vocals. This leads me to my next point, treble extension. The treble extends quite high in the Solars to the point that you think your ears will break but never does. If you're the type of person that likes a V-shaped sound signature, then I would 100% recommend the Solars.

*Note: After roughly 80 hours of listening, I am happy to say that I have learned to love the sparkle in the treble, as a
    matter of a fact, I find that it actually enhances female vocals and contributes to the overall "fun" nature of the Solars*

Mids
    One word, speechless. This is the only thing I can think of that can describe the mids of the Solars. The midrange is full, clear, and natural. I can't think of anything wrong with it at all. As I mainly listen
    to Japanese songs, the midrange is extremely important due to the songs being vocal heavy. The main issue I had coming from full sized headphones(HD650) is that the mids sounds veiled but for the Solars it doesn't sound veiled at all even with the amount of bass present. The mids are unique in the sense that it presents male and female vocals quite differently, males vocals have that slight warmth to it to portray that deep voice while still maintaining clarity. On the other hand for female, the amount of clarity and detail is simply breathtaking.It's like the perfect blend of treble,midrange and bass all in a single package, not one element tries to overshadow the other. I would not change anything which regards to the mids, simply amazing.

Bass
    Before I start ranting on how much I love the bass of the Solars. I would just like to point out that I am a basshead and as such I love earphones that can produce that punchy bass but I am also quite picky when it comes to the quality of bass. Most people think that as long as it has that boomy sound, it has good bass but there is a difference between just boomy bass and good quality bass. And for me the Solar have ticked all the boxes for being a quality bass even exceeding my expectations. The bass of the Solars is fast, punchy and goes really deep. I would say that even if you're used to having little/no bass, you will appreciate what the Solars have to offer. The bass is punchy but in a controlled way, what I mean by control is that even though it extends quite deep for whatever reason the midbass is not muddy at all. The best part is that it doesn't make the vocals sound veiled at all either. I don't know how Sammy did it, but whatever he did it is just amazing.

Soundstage
    Coming from full sized headphones, I would say that my standard for soundstage is a bit different mainly due to being used to the wide and surround like presentation. Taking this into consideration, I would say that the Solars comes up quite close, only lacking a bit of width and height compared to their heavier brothers. If I would use figures for comparison, headphones would present itself as half a circle where each of the instruments have a significant gap as to where they are being played almost like attending a concert with a huge stage. And like a concert, you need to pay a premium price
    to be able to listen closer. On the other hand, the Solar soundstage would be similar to listening in a bar, a bit narrower but the instruments are closer to each other and more in front of you. Though the depth is in my opinion, better than what full size can give. Lastly, the presentation is nice and airy with great resolution. All these things considered, I would say that the Solars is one of the best I've heard in a while in terms of soundstage/presentation.

download_20151222_221635.jpg
    Final Remarks:
    Overall, I would say that the Solars is a great all-rounder if you happen to be in the market for one. Also, if you're the type that wants music to be presented in a realistic and fun manner then I would 100% recommend the Solars. It can definitely hold its own against other TOTL iems from other manufacturers. Considering also the price, one should definitely put the Solars up
    in the list of contenders. As I would say it is one of the best, if not the best bang for the buck IEM in its price range.

Comparison
    These comparison are based on roughly only 2 hours of auditioning due to time constraints when I met with Sammy. So basically, initial impressions and comparison.

20160101_122223.jpg
    Rhapsodio&Rooth Hybrid Collaboration(MSRP unknown)
    First off I would like to thank sammy for giving me the chance to audition these iems. If I had to compare these IEMs, it's like the little brother of the Solars. Like how little brothers are in real life(at least as kids), they are livelier and more in your face type of IEMs. If the Solars are front going to midrow the rooth collab hybrid is on the front row period. Every aspect aside from soundstage is accentuated,
    treble is more sparkly, while bass hits hard but not as deep. For me, because the bass hits harder; it felt like the bass is not as fast and sometimes find it difficult to catch up to bass heavy fast paced songs. Also, because of this the sound is a bit muddier and sometimes midrange is slightly overshadowed. As I said earlier in this review, sparkly treble is not my cup of tea and as such the rooth collaboration hybrid is not for people that have similar tastes. Though this is the case, I would highly recommend the IEM to people that mainly listens to rock/pop and just wants to have a great midrange iem.

20160101_122201.jpg

Rhapsodio Galaxy(MSRP $1600, comes with SG 2.98 as stock cable)
    This is an IEM that is still currently in development by sammy so these impressions/comparison will not be the final product but roughly 60%-70% of it. The Rhapsodio Galaxy is what I would say how a reference sounding IEM should sound like. If I have to give a comparison, it is literally an HD800 in IEM form. Treble extends really far when called for(even further than the Solars imo) with just the right amount of sparkle. Bass is there only if it's called for, and when it hits it's just the right amount(might not satisfy bassheads). By right amount, you will definitely hear the bass,but once the next note hits it's gone which is probably why I feel that the galaxy is heads above the Solars in terms of clarity and resolution. As a comparison, Solar bass can be felt but Galaxy is more analytical? Lastly  soundstage is similar to the Solars, like the Solars compared to full size headphones,the soundstage is relatively narrower and more compact with one another. Big words as this may be, I think this IEM is a HD800 in a smaller more portable casing sacrificing only some aspects of full sized headphones like comfort and soundstage width and height. Definitely a TOTL item like it's brother the Solars just catered for a different set of people.

Upgrade Cables

20160101_122448.jpg
    Rhapsodio Golden Litz Cable (roughly $650)
    This is the most expensive invoking cables that I have ever used from the day I started getting into audio. The cable just screams premium in all aspects(particularly color). Now does it sound as good as it looks. In my opinion, it does though imo it's catered for a different set of people. The most obvious thing when I change to these cables is clarity and resolution in the midrange and improves on what the Solars can already deliver with stock cables. Treble extension became even further with these cables to the point that it is ear piercing. This is where for me how the cables transformed the Solars into more reference sounding. As for bass, compared to the stock cable of the Solars it turned into something like the Rhapsodio Galaxy bass, just enough when called for. Soundstage became wider for sure and height is improved a little bit, small but good change. The cable for me is an attempt to retain all the great things about the Solars while trying to mix in little
    bits of how Galaxy and headphones sounds like.

20160101_122703.jpg
    RSD Nylon Mark 1
    One word "reference", this is the very first thing that came to my mind when I listened using these cables. the transformation is just unreal for me it's like I was using a different IEM close to that of the Galaxy. It transformed the Solars into something opposite of my tastes. As a basshead,I felt that the bass became less and honestly almost non-existent for me. It's like when you're eating cake and you removed the icing which made the Solars sounded a bit dull for my taste. If you're the type of person that likes the treble and upper midrange then by all means this cable is a specialist in improving those two aspects. Don't get me wrong, it is a good cable just not for me. Honestly the one cable I spent the least time on.

2.98 Silver Litz Cable
    Of all the cables mentioned, this is imo the best pair for the Solars. It made the Solars a bit warmer and improved the midrange quite a bit while lessening the sparkle in the treble of Solar. If you're a basshead and you think that the Solars are still lacking then you're in for a treat. These cables gives more authority to the Solar's bass almost like you made the Solars lift some weights. Bass impact and texture is improved and for me brought the drums closer to the vocals in terms of imaging which made it sound like you're in the front row. Mids became slightly more forward resulting in more
    in your face yet fun signature. The cable made the Solars sound fuller while still retaining the overall nature of the Solars.

List of some songs used.
    1) Vitalization- Nana Mizuki
    10) Irresistible- Fall Out Boy
    11) Phoenix- Fall Out Boy
    12) Clock Strikes- One OK Rock
    2. H T T
      There is no way I can afford this IEM, but where did you purchase your music by Nana Mizuki? It is so hard to get JPOP in the US.
      H T T, May 16, 2016
    3. mahesh
      Very nice Review :)
      mahesh, May 17, 2016
    4. 0MoUsE0
      When I saw the "μ" on the IEM, I already know what the song list is going to look like. XD
      However, nice review, thanks

0MoUsE0, May 22, 2016
  5. subguy812
    Solar...it's all about the balance
    Written by subguy812
    Published Dec 11, 2015
    Pros - Balanced overall sound signature; Solid sub bass; extended treble; very detailed
    Cons - Accessories
    Introduction:
    I do not consider myself an audiophile. I love music and I love good sound and that is why this is my hobby. I prefer to find the best portable setups available. I do not want to be tethered to a desk with an amp. I enjoy finding the best possible pairings I can, something I can enjoy anytime, anywhere. I don't read graphs or charts, when I listen to music my ears tell me what I like, not my eyes. If this hobby becomes work as opposed to my getaway I will find another hobby. I have had many iem's at all levels of price with a variety of driver types and number of drivers. One thing I have learned is price, or the number of drivers is not indicative of a pleasing sound signature.

Enter Rhapsodio Solar...http://www.rhapsodio.com/

The Solar:
    -MRSP (Universal): $1450
    -10 balanced armature drivers (2 bass, 4 mid, 2 high and 2 tweeters)

My quest started by reaching out to Sammy and discussing options. I will say that Sammy is a quick communicator. There are many design options and ultimately I gave the reigns to Sammy and told him to design the face plate & base combination that he liked, and he did. I must say it was a sexy choice.

Sammy responded to my questions via mails quickly and then we switched to Hangouts so communication went smooth all the way... I love this guy Sammy!

I have never seen such shipping speed from Hong Kong. I received my Solar two days after it was shipped. WOW!  [​IMG]

Packaging/Contents:
    When the Solar arrived, it was in a postal envelope and inside was a plastic, latched, branded Rhapsodio box. I also ordered an additional cable which was included in a blue Rhapsodio drawstring bag. Six pair of eartips was included, three pair of Wind tips and three pair of Spinfit tips. The Wind tips have a wide bore and the Spinfit tips have a more narrow opening. There is an included leather strap to help keep the cable wound. Nice touches, but I still felt there was no choirs of angels singing once I saw the opened the package. I am not sure I could offer any suggestions but these are TOTL iems and packaging and accessories could create more of a wow factor.

IMG_20151205_141556.jpg

IMG_20151205_141658.jpg

IMG_20151205_141720.jpg

IMG_20151205_141935.jpg
                 WIND TIPS(WIDE BORE) & SPINFITS

Design & Build Quality:
    Sammy chose a Wood faceplate with smoke transparent bases for my universal fit Solars. I think it a classy and sexy design. Actually it is the same design I have in another iem, the Heir 8.0 universal.

IMG_20151205_141755.jpg
          SOLAR WITH STOCK PANDORA SPC CABLE

The build quality is great. I examined the Solar for any flaws and I could not find any, which is impressive coming from a small custom iem boutique in Hong Kong. The cables as well are built to last with quality in mind, you could almost rock climb with these cables. The nozzles have waxguards installed.

IMG_20151205_141813.jpg
                   RSD SILVER LITZ 4-BRAID CABLE

IMG_20151205_142555.jpg
          SOLAR DESIGN WOOD WITH SMOKY BASE

SOLAR IN ALL OF IT'S SEXINESS

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE DRIVERS

Comfort:
    The Solars are slightly bigger than my Heir 8.0 universals. I would say the Heir is the most comfortable of the two, however the Solar is not uncomfortable. The Solar is larger but I do not fight with comfort issues as I have with the JH Angie or Layla. The Wind tips are comfortable as well as the Spinfit. I also use the JVC Spiral Dot tips(Wide Bore).The JVC seal well but provide the least comfortable fit. The isolation is good and when music is playing it covers up for many external noises.

IMG_20151211_204820.jpg

Sources:
    I used a Nexus 6p streaming Tidal and an AK120ii for testing and review purposes. The Solar are driven easily by both of these sources.

For review purpose, I used the largest Wind tips and large JVC Spiral Dot tips. The JVC sealed the best and the Wind tips are the most comfortable, so you can choose your poison, however I will say that it is very important to use a wide bore tip to achieve the soundstage that the Solar is capable of achieving. I tried a deep insertion and shallow, I found a deep insertion offered the best sound quality.

Upon first listen I was like meh, okay these sound a bit thin. I experimented with tips and listened to what provided the best seal. After about an hour the smile started to wash over my face and the smile hasn't left yet, in fact it has become Cheshire cat like after around 25 hours of listening time. These iem's have really started to open up. I am not going to start a debate about burn-in. Believe it or not, these are improving and Sammy said they will be at their peak in 200 hours.

I look for a balanced sound with an emphasis on details and tone of instruments. I actually prefer an IEM that is slightly colored, a fun, lively, detailed sound is my favorite signature, something very musical. That said, the Solar confidently checks all of those boxes. The level of detail and clarity combined with the sub bass and mid bass layering, a balanced mid range with sparkly, lively treble and no bleed over into the various ranges from any other range. HOLY SMOKES this is one balanced TOTL iem. Balance, balance, balance.

Bass:
    The bass on Solar is deep in the sub levels and detailed and layered in the mid bass range. One of the finest blends I have heard. The iem has a sound signature that is colored but again, never bleeds into the other ranges. The tone of the bass in the mid bass range is awesome, clear and detailed. As a comparison the Angie could have the same level of bass if you cranked the inline bass control above 1:00. The Solar has more detail in the bass as compared to the Angie. The Heir 8.0 has more of a bass presence throughout the signature, however the quality is not on par with the Solar. Is this a basshead iem? I would say it would please the basshead. As I have said I prefer a slightly colored signature and the bass in the Solar is very satisfying, although I don't consider myself a true basshead.

Midrange:
    The mids of Solar are crisp, clear and incredibly detailed. The tone of female vocals shine and male vocal sound strong. The mids are not in the least veiled and could be considered some of the most blended and balanced I have ever heard in an iem. The soundstage is wide and when listening to some Radiohead the imaging was providing me with a spatial eargasm. There was some 3D stuff going on there.

Treble:
    The treble of the Solar is ever present. At no time is it strident or sibilant. It is sparkly and this helps to create the incredible soundstage that the Solar proudly shows. Overall the treble produces a sparkly life to these iem's in contrast to the opposite bass spectrum that thumps when called upon the balance between all ranges continues to impress.

Presentation:
    The Solar presents itself in an airiness with nice resolution. It would be considered a slight V shape, however the mids do not sound distant. The entire frequency spectrum is represented and the speed is never thick of lagging throughout the entire signature providing a fine iem. The tuning is superb and the it is well engineered.

Summary:
    I have around 25 hours already of listening time already. After the initial hour the Solar really started to open up. They have a very balanced sound, very musical and fun. That is not to say that they are not true to representing the sound and tone of instruments, believe me the sound is quite realistic. The sub bass rumbles as well the bass is clear and defined in the lower mids. There is no bleed over in the mids to muddy the sound. The mids offer a great deal of clarity and are very detailed while the treble is a little forward but not harsh.

I have listened to many genres of music with them. From jazz, blues, classic rock, alternative, classical and finally some edm. Radiohead, which generally to me don't represent well in headphones, and the spatial feel was terrific. The imaging was providing me a wild ride. I did receive a 3d sense to this.

Wide bore tips create a bigger soundstage and the soundstage can be quite wide at times. With some high quality Jazz FLAC files, ie... Jazz at the Pawnshop the details and crispness made me feel I was in the audience, front and center.

Crunching guitar sounds from AC/DC are awesome. Female vocals, such as Sade or Norah Jones sound great as well, and this surprised me a little.

Overall a very balanced, detailed presentation. The little "enhancements" and peaks in parts of the spectrum are all in the correct spots.

On a final note...I have only dedicated my review time to the stock SPC cable. For me switching from iem to different iem confuses my thoughts and I never truly get to appreciate or loathe a specific iem. Upon completion of this review I will listen to the SIlver Litz and include my thoughts. The pairing of the SPC cable has never made me want for more.

These are TOTL iem's period. Once you reach this level it is not a matter of "better", it is a matter of finding a sound signature which satisfies and agrees with you.This iem checks all of the boxes with a balanced confidence not heard in many other iem's.

A must have!!!!

2. vhsownsbeta
      Great review, much aligned with my own impressions. Momentum is building! Solar are astounding monitors.
      vhsownsbeta, Dec 12, 2015
    3. subguy812
      Thanks. It's one of the few pieces of gear that most opinions align. It is really rare almost everyone is hearing the same thing.
      subguy812, Dec 12, 2015
    4. Kerouac
      Superb written review and some very nice pics to!
      It's all about the drivers and the tuning of these I guess...once you've heard the Solar, I think it's almost impossible not to fall in love with it :)
      Kerouac, Dec 12, 2015
  6. shotgunshane
    Rhapsodio Solar - Endless Power
    Written by shotgunshane
    Published May 2, 2016
    Pros - Design Options, Cable Quality, Technical Prowess, Male Vocals, Bass Power
    Cons - Bass Power, Price

Rhaplogo.png

Note: The custom in-ear in this review was provided at a discounted rate.

Rhapsodio is an up and coming manufacturer of both custom in-ears and custom-like universals. The owner and primary voice of customer service, Sammy, is a very friendly and passionate audiophile, who is quick to respond to inquiries and questions, particularly over Facebook messenger, which seems to be the communication method of choice. While not necessarily a new company (Sammy and team have 3+ years in business), it wasn’t until the introduction of the Solar, that word of Rhapsodio really started to take off on Head-Fi. Based in Hong Kong, they have been hard at work revamping the lineup and bringing new and different models to light, such as the Rti2- incorporating dual dynamics into a hybrid design, along with the aforementioned Solar- which contains 10 balanced armatures. Most recently they’ve even introduced a new single dynamic flagship, in the form of the Galaxy, an UltraMag II generation 10.3mm dynamic housed in an all metal, ergonomic enclosure.

Design, Build & Accessories

The Solar comes in both custom form and the custom-like universal form. The universal differentiates itself from the full custom with a metal nozzle and mesh screen that covers the opening. The model used for this review was the full custom version.

Solarcolors.jpg
    Universal Example (courtesy Rhapsodio)

Manufacturer Specs:
    1. 4-way passive crossover design
    2. 10 balanced armature drivers (2 tweeters, 2 high, 4 mid, 2 bass)
    3. Frequency response: 20 ~ 20,000 Hz
    4. Impedance: 26ohm
    5. Bundles with Pandora Sound SPC/OCC CM Cable
    6. 1-year international warranty

Rhapsodio offers many finish option for both their custom and universal offerings. There are multiple base colors that can be chosen, along with faceplate finishes like wood, carbon fiber, metal and gold flake. The website’s product page shows just a few of the more popular options. A further endless array of options can be seen on the photo section of their Facebook page: www.facebook.com/rhapsodiohk

Goldflake.jpg
    Goldflake Custom (Courtesy Rhapsodio)

The custom version comes standard with the Pandora cable. The Pandora is made from silver plated copper, contains four conductors and is finished in a round style braid. The conductor’s outer sleeve finish is very peculiar. It almost feels like its part leather- you detect what feel like little fibers, just like the backside of a leather strap, when you run your fingers across its surface. It’s a rather strange sensation but I found I really enjoyed the uniqueness of this custom cable. The Pandora is also finished with a memory section for over the ear wear. The memory section does not contain a wire but is more of a preformed section to prevent the cable from flopping off the ear. Also included was a cable snap to keep the cable in a wound position when storing. Both aesthetics and usability are very good.

Rhapsodio supplied the Solar in their newest case design. The case is designed for storage, rather than carrying around in your back pack, much less your trousers. To say the new case is robust and sturdy would be an understatement. While being absurdly over-sized (it looks as if it could store a brick), it contains a Nerf factory of protective foam- this is the ‘Fort Knox’ of protection.

image2.jpg

The overall signature is bass forward with a very full lower midrange. Bass texturing is brought to the forefront. Bombastic and powerful, the bass absolutely slams with impact. Vocals are very full bodied with great heft and emotion- romantic and thunderous are descriptors I’d heavily associate with the Solar. Treble is weighty with some sparkle but laid back for an easy going, long term listen. In fact, I would dub Solar as the bass lovers’ audiophile in-ear.

Comparisons

Solar vs Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor (discontinued; replaced by UERR $999)

...a tabernacle of indulgence

Next to the UERM, the Solar is practically a bass monster. The difference is rather stark. Solar is a thunderstorm of power and authority next to the leaner, seemingly more polite bass of the UERM. The UERM bass has always held very good texture for me but Solar pushes bass texture to the forefront, and it really takes a moment for the brain to adjust to the UERM when coming directly from the Solar. The one trait in bass they both share is a slight tilt towards mid bass over sub bass, however with the boost Solar has, there is plenty of sub bass rumble as well. While the UERM bass is about precision over presence, Solar’s bass is very much in control and doesn’t sound boomy or loose, even at such great quantity.

The lush lower midrange of the Solar is thicker, richer and more forward than the lower midrange of the UERM. Both are slightly laid back in the middle to upper midrange around 2k, but Solar bounces back a bit sooner after 3k. The lower midrange prominence and previously described dip, give Solar a slightly recessed vocal compared to the more linear UERM, but it also gives Solar a nice forward projection- giving it the ability for a slightly more out of head presentation. Midrange resolution is the UERM specialty and Solar certainly holds its own. When it comes to resolution, Solar doesn’t shy away from pushing small details to the forefront. Like everything else about the Solar, details are easily heard, bold in presence and projection. The UERM is more nuanced, almost delicate in comparison.

The light airiness and crispness of the UERM treble is again in stark contrast to the weightier, smoother treble of Solar. The Solar cannot be construed as airy- whereas distortion guitars soar to weightless heights with the UERM, the Solar is more about the grit, the grim and the undulating rhythm of drop D tuning. If some feel the UERM can be a bit on the analytical side, then Solar is built for long term, fatigue free treble listening.

If the UERM is an outside, open air venue, Solar is a tabernacle of indulgence where the whiskey flows and inhibitions are abandoned. While the UERM is much wider, Solar is not only much deeper but also has more forward projection and sounds a bit taller in direct comparison. The Solar’s depth helps to give a more precise instrument placement but the UERM has more air between instruments for more separation and space. The sonic images are about as different as they come.

Solar vs Empire Ears Zeus (pre revision $2099)

...powerful and thunderous

Bass is the Solar specialty. It is both powerful and thunderous, and impact as well as rumble can be quite vociferous. Texture is really top notch as well,l and overall bass balance is slightly tilted towards mid and upper bass. Zeus, however, seems to take the Solar’s specialty and ups the ante. Albeit much less in quantity, texture and rumble are simply excellent, with an overall tighter and more sub bass oriented bass presentation. The result is an even more nuanced, yet delightfully indulgent performance.

Zeus places the vocalist not just front and center, but almost as if you are next to the microphone, or possibly you are the microphone. In You Outta Know, Alanis is exceptionally clear and the depth of her anger is easily felt with Zeus. In comparison, Solar puts noticeably more distance between you and Alanis, and while she remains very clear, the sense of anger is nowhere near as palpable. It’s the equivalent difference in watching a performance and being subjugated to it.

Solar note thickness and weight is obviously greater than on Zeus, and lower midrange notes are a good bit fuller, richer and easily lusher as well. Male vocals are full bodied and bursting at the seams with power. Consequently, the Zeus midrange is overall more resolving by letting the listener more easily hear low level details.

Treble sparkle seems to be fairly similar between the two. Neither should be considered bright or airy but both possess a clean, weighty and articulate treble. The biggest difference will be in perception, due to the differences in note thickness and weight from bass through midrange. Being that the Solar is thicker and bassier, its treble presence seems a little more laid back next to Zeus. This again gives Zeus an upper hand in treble resolution, as it isn’t competing as heavily against the lower and middle ranges, and allows the listener to more easily hear low level detail.

The Solar is not particularly wide but doesn’t sound closed in either, a similar trait shared by Zeus as well. Solar has excellent depth compared to most TOTL offerings and height seems proportional to its width, however this is where Zeus really begins to stretch it legs and take things to a much higher level. Zeus depth and the layers within this depth are simply unmatched. While the Solar’s image is pretty precise within the stage, especially when listening for placement from front to back, separation just isn’t quite on the same level as Zeus. This is mainly due to the enhanced bass that seems to fill any sense of space and air between instruments, whereas Zeus seems to have a void of blackness between instruments. These elements of the Zeus performance help to push its overall sense of resolution and detailing to the next seemingly unattainable level.

Solar vs Perfect Seal AR6 ($950)

...a ruthless villain

The AR6 bass sounds incredibly linear up all the way through the midrange, in that no part of the bass response sounds louder than another- rumble and impact are on equal footing and extension reaches into the lowest registers. While the Solar has great rumble, it has a tilt towards mid bass impact. Both rumble and impact are bigger and bolder than the AR6 and extends just as deep. When listening to rap and hip hop, the Solar really begins to stretch its legs. The Solar hits with power and authority; it makes you move to the aggression and attitude in 100 Miles and Runnin’ and Straight Outta Compton. The AR6 is no slouch in this genre but the Solar takes the Spinal Tap route and turns it up a notch to 11. When it comes to bass, the Solar is A Ruthless Villain.

The AR6 has a very linear midrange with a slight peak in the upper midrange. Vocals are exceptionally clear and resolving. The AR6 really seems to excel in female vocals, bringing to life the emotion and energy in the upper midrange vocal registers. In contrast, the Solar lends itself to male vocals, due to its lusher lower midrange. Male vocals are delivered with more power, authority and evocative connection. If a song is about the emotional loss of a friend or loved one, the Solar can really make those words weigh heavy on the heart. On Solar, Brooks & Dunn’s Believe is an emotional roller coaster of grief and hope. At the moments of loss, Solar broods and wallows in the emotion; in the moments of hope and belief, Solar envelopes with the tingling of inspiration and hope. Solar lets you connect directly into the heart of Ronnie Dunn.

The AR6 treble has greater presence for a brighter and airier presentation. In comparison, the AR6 treble sounds thinner next to the weightier and thicker treble of the Solar. The AR6 treble is perhaps just a hair under a neutral presentation yet with plenty of sparkle, whereas the Solar treble is a good bit more laid back and easier going. Even though laid back in treble, it still has excellent tonality and articulation.

Solar vs 64 Audio U10 ($1399)

...denser, meatier and harder hitting

The U10 and Solar are both bassy signatures but where Solar’s bass is slightly tilted towards mid bass, the U10 bass is heavily tilted to deep bass. While I consider the U10 bassy, the Solar takes it the next level over the U10. Solar bass comes across as denser, meatier and harder hitting compared to the U10’s bass which is bouncier and feels lighter and airier in nature. The U10 creates more rumble, due to lessor mid bass presence, but bass textures are thrust more to the forefront with Solar’s bass presentation.

Both the U10 and Solar have full bodied lower midranges that make for intimate and engaging male vocals, although upon direct comparison, the Solar has a more evocative and romanticized presentation. Due to Solar’s greater mid bass, however, vocals are a little further back in the mix than the U10’s. Again the Solar’s midrange seems denser against the airier midrange of the U10. Typically an airier midrange is in reference to a brighter midrange with greater upper midrange emphasis, and while the U10 does have a larger peak from the upper midrange into the lower treble, it also seems to be impacted by the Adele model breathing more air in to the notes. While distortion guitars soar with more air in the U10, it can also exacerbate sibilance in tracks, whereas the heavier sounding Solar remains smoother, mitigating occurrences of sibilance.

The U10 has an obvious greater overall emphasis on treble. U10 treble notes are noticeably thinner next to the weightier treble of the Solar. While switching back and forth, Solar seems a good bit darker in contrast to the more U shaped U10. This is most obvious in the opening segment of David Lee Roth’s Just Like Paradise, which has a light, airy upper register that just makes me want to take the top down and cruise. The U10 does a better job recreating this airy ambiance with its brighter and sparklier upper end.

To some degree, the outside, open air venue versus the tabernacle of indulgence comparison of the UERM also applies here, albeit the U10 is not open sounding as the UERM. The U10 does a better job of placement from left to right and Solar has greater depth with more precise placement from front to back. The Adele module in the U10 just makes everything seem somehow lighter than air; a show in the clouds, especially against the heavier and darker backdrop of the Solar tabernacle.

Conclusion

Rhapsodio’s Solar certainly lives up to its status as a TOTL offering, and its technical prowess, on top of a bass forward signature, make it an intriguing model for bass-first loving audiophiles. While Solar doesn’t come cheap, the finishing options and custom-made stock cable make it a worthy accessorized high end custom in-ear.
      proedros, Kerouac, flinkenick and 2 others like this.
    1. Kerouac
      Hmmm, quite an intriguing (and very well written with interesting comparisons) review. Somehow I expected ''God of Thunder!'' to become your review title some time ago :wink:

Anyhow, it's clear that Solar has too much bass quantity for your taste. I also have the AR6 and while it has a very different signature, I can fully understand that it ended up at 5 stars in your earlier review. But 'only' 4 stars as a final verdict for the Solar? Ah well, maybe I'm more basshead (something for me to think about) than I thought I was :)

Cheers!
      Kerouac, May 3, 2016
    2. shotgunshane
      Don't take too much stock in the amount of stars. I'd prefer not to have that on the review and instead let the description speak for itself.
      shotgunshane, May 3, 2016
  7. Mimouille
    The Rhapsodio Solar - The Gifted
    Written by Mimouille
    Published Jan 18, 2016
    Pros - Technically very proficient and fun at the same time, easy to drive, plays well with all genre, competitive price performance ratio, service
    Cons - Not much: a bit large in universal, and some may like faster sound / tighter bass
    Brand: Rhapsodio (Hong Kong - http://www.rhapsodio.com/)

Product: 10 balanced armature driver Solar (http://www.rhapsodio.com/solar-10ba/)

Price : 1350$

Customer experience:

Sammy is a cool guy. He is clearly gifted in creating and tuning IEMs when you see what comes out of his little workshop (I've been there and it's...Hong Kong sized). I am not sure he is the most organized or rigorous person out there, more of an artist personality, but very passionate about good sound, always trying new stuff, very flexible, very easy to deal with. Honestly any audiophile can find an easy way to deal with Sammy. Once you contact him he is quite reactive (if you use multiple media it is better, mail, facebook, etc.) even if his communication can still be improved. But you know, this is a small operation, he can't invent tons of new IEMs and answer to all the emails at the same time.

Build quality and ergonomics:

The Solar have a good overall build quality. The designs are plentiful and come out nice. There is a nice quality feel to them the IEMs are well finished. It is not Fitear / Vision Ear level, because for instance you can feel a small seem between the IEM body and the faceplate, but still very solid, professional and quite pretty. I really love the understated look on mine.

In terms of fit, the IEM is quite large, because it is housing 10 BA. Plus, if you have a transparent model, you can see that some of the drivers are HUGE. So the fit requires some playing around with tips, but honestly the Solar is not immensely tip dependent in my experience, so after 20mn of playing around with the provided tips, you get good comfort, decent isolation, and the incredible sound these are intended to have.

Pairing and sensitivity: this will be easy. The Solar sounded at least great out of all my sources, and had little to no hiss with most of them. So, it is easy to drive yet not overly sensitive. The down side of this is that I think that their scalability might be slightly inferior to that of the Zeus for instance. The good point is that a simple source gets you 90% of the way.

Sound quality: my friend Tupac told me: the Solar is V-Shaped done right, and I agree. The mid bass is boosted but reasonably so, the highs are sparkly but never aggressive. I do feel that the voices do seem a bit distant, especially on some lesser recordings. To be clear, the mids have a nice level of air and transparency, but I wouldn't call this a mids-head iem. The mids will not grab you like on the Zeus. The resolution is good but not the best I have heard in this price range (Zeus / SE5 Ultimate). The bass is very good in terms of texture and depth, but lacks a bit of speed and tightness to my taste. It is not really a matter of quality but more of preference. If you like your bass unboosted and tight like a nuns ass (NT6 like), this is not for you. But is far from bloated (like the TG334 for instance). The highs are great because they manage to be well extended and detailed without being fatiguing for a second.

The key qualities of the Solar are first the overall balance of the sound. They manage to be fun without adding too much coloration. And second and foremost is to me the spaciousness. You have reasonable depth, but most of all huge width and height with great separation and good imaging, making for a really nice and laid back 3D experience.

Conclusion: the Solar is really very impressive without trying too hard. A couple of months ago, I visited a few shops in Beijing and Hong Kong and tried the K10u, the Akt8ie. the Oriolus, the Fitear Aya, Monet 34 and 335SR, the Aurisonics Harmony Series, the Campfire Audio Lyra, and the Solar. A week later I ordered the Lyra. The only ones that came close were the 335SR and the Oriolus. It does mostly everything right and nothing really wrong. Some IEMs can be better in a certain aspect, but few manage such a balance of qualities. To me it is one of the best TOTL all-rounders. It is maybe not the best fit for my needs (as I usually have 3 or 4 TOTL with different flavors), but I cannot imagine anyone not finding it at least great. And at 200-1000$ less than the competitors, I really do not see what you are waiting for.

2015-12-02_14.39.36.jpg

3. Mimouille
      Yeah try Noble K10 is you want somethign not as good as the Solar :D
      Mimouille, Jan 19, 2016
    4. Kerouac
      Well written and honest review Mimouille! I knew it wasn't gonna end up with 5 stars from you, as even your beloved $2100 Zeus didn't get that. Anyhow, now it's Galaxy time for you, right?

@ken6217: although K10U probably is smaller than a Solar universal, so far there are (afaik) 3 members that have/had both Solar and K10. All 3 of them preferred the Solar and 2 of them even sold their K10's => maybe you should give it a try? :wink:
      Kerouac, Jan 19, 2016
  8. mahesh
    Rhapsodio Solar "End game Iem"
    Written by mahesh
    Published Jan 14, 2016
    Pros - Amazing thunderous bass, lush mids , sweet airy high
    Cons - none so far
    Rhapsodio Solar "End game Iem".

P1270409-copie.jpg

P1270401-copie.jpg
    P1270407-copie.jpg
    P1270405-copie.jpg

I got my solar and after careful listening for 2 days i came to the conclusion : solar is definitely a TOTL iem.
    When i got them they were in a shiny aluminum box, inside is the solar itself,looks stunningly beautiful,they look and feel very premium.
    I tried all the tips provided but i got best fit with comply t500 tips,
    Now a little bit about sound
    I dont have any hiend iem experience other then the akg k3003, and some hours on jh audio angie, I more listen to entry to midfi stereo at home,or visit some hiend audio shops in Paris to listen, so what is hiend audio, i am well familier with.

I never write any review, i am a person who appreciate and enjoys reading other people reviews, I am more like spectateurs.
    But after listening to solar, i said to myself hay why not…..
    So my review will be more like a very unprofessional, but will be straight for my heart. please guys ans gals English is my third language but still i will try my best.

Ok solar reminds me of my akg k3003 for sure but does everything better especially in the bass, sub-bass. On akg sub-bass is almost lacking compared to solar,akg bass is slower and has less rumble, and has elevated mid bass may be 80 to 200 hz. Angie bass is fast but dont have a texture of solar.
    Listning to Hans zimmer Dark knight rises ost , i can feel the sub bass……..

I give note on bass Solar as reference
    Solar   :100
    K3003 : 90
    Angie  : 97
    Sony xba 4 (why not) : 80
    Fostex t5 : 85

Mid on solar is as upfront as akg, but very liquid ,lush resolving,while listening to Hubert sumlin "sometime i’m right ,his voice is so beautifully presented i could easily compare with Raidho d1 passlabs mono combos.
    Listening to Youn sun nah "moondog" her voice is so lush even k3003 couldn’t come close
    But Angie medium is similar to solar…..but still solar mid has a sweetness..

I give note on medium as solar reference
    Solar :100
    K3003 : 95
    Angie:97
    Fostex t5 : 85
    Xba4 : 75

High on solar are crisp and has a great extension and body, hi hat cymbals sounds more real or accurate then akg, when i compared to Angie being more laid-back lacking a litttlebit of shimmer and air. Akg high is great but at the same time siblent.

Note on high solar as reference
    Solar :100
    Akg k 3003:98
    JH Angie:97
    SonyXba4:93
    Fostex t5 :90

Soundstage on solar is wide and has good depth, which k3003 lacks,while Angie has as wide and depth as solar but still solar has a great sense of depth. k3003 soundstage width is comparable to solar or Angie.
    Instruments are nicely and distinctively presented all over and almost behind the head, very impressed.
    Instrument placement and separation is also impressive on solar, notes are thicker on solar so sometimes k3003 sounds thin compared to solar

Note soundstage solar as reference
    Solar width : 95
    Xba4 width : 75
    Xba4 depth : 70
    Fostex t05 width: 80
    Fostex t05 depth :70

Here are some my imaginary pics of soundstage

Solar:

Akg K3003

Jh Audio Angie

Sony Xba 4

Fostex te05

Here are some my imaginary pics of Imaging

Solar:

Akg k 3003

Angie:

Sony xba4:

Fostex te05:

Details and micro details are also very nicely heard, for example listening to Melody Gardot « Don’t Talk » I can easily hear when she whispers which was almost
    inaudible on akg, even xba4 was better than akg.

So in conclusion I must say that I’am very impressed with Solar’s sound, women voice sounds more exquisite,delicate,charming.
    Solar has a great clarity, presence, Bliss. very welcoming sound, I listened almost all genres of music and they were all rounder iem.
    Right now i am listening to David Bowie (we will miss him) Tom Waits and Nick Cave and having eargasm……

proedros, Kerouac, hqssui and 2 others like this.
    1. Kerouac
      Great review => really enjoyed reading it and such wonderful (professional looking) pics!
      Btw, some nice musical taste as well :)
      Kerouac, Jan 14, 2016
  9. ozziecook
    The life-giving Solar
    Written by ozziecook
    Published Jan 29, 2016
    Pros - Balance, bass detail, sweet treble, clarity, airy soundstage, design, service
    Cons - Tip options
    IMG_4570.jpg IMG_4560.jpg

David Bowie, John Lennon, Jeff Buckley, George Best, Nick Drake, John Martyn, Syd Barratt, Kurt Cobain and my mother & father. I’ve lost some big loves over the course of my lifetime. Sadly you can’t bring all of them back. But on occasions, I swear that some of them are back in the same room with me.
    Those occasions are when I have Solar in my ears.  Ah the wonderful, life-giving Solar.

david-bowie-2.jpg    john-lennon.jpg    Georgebest.jpg    Syd-barrett.jpg     nick-drake-012.jpg

Here’s the story. On first insertion, these purple wonders were like a wobbly, slightly lame drunk dog trying to find its feet.  Raspy, limp, loose and thin. Every track seemed different in quality. Tubular Bells II, to Mike Oldfield’s credit, was astounding. Much of the rest of my cherished lineup was comparatively grisly and I reached yearningly for my FX850’s.
    Angry, with steam and cranky notes still coming out of my ears, I emailed poor Sammy with a list of complaints. He simply replied, ‘Burn. 200 hours’.

So for the next few days, I obeyed the monosyllabic master magician. And boy, oh boy am I glad I did. If ever there was such a myth about the myth of burn in, this was it in action. (It can't really have been my brain can it?)
    Encouraged by a few helpful head-fiers I also added an amp and some decent tips (see below) and persevered. Eventually we had lift off into the Solar system. Sunshine, thunder and hail filled my ears and head space.

I won’t drone on about the accessories which have been covered aplenty by others here. Nice box, yes…even nicer case, great cable, average assortment of tips (sorry Sammy, please get some foamies in there!). But the IEMS themselves were glorious things of beauty. Granted they’re my first proper TOTL iem but they look as good as my wife did when I met her (speaking of my wife, move over gal…I have a sweet pair of new young lovers in my bed with us - deal with it! :wink:

Sammy. Again, most people here have paid homage. I will too. He doesn’t say much, but he’s quicker than a Novak Djokovic return at getting back on email - and I like that. It’s the way I work in my business and it’s nice to see someone else who values customers and efficiency as highly. The only downside. He released Galaxy just after I received my Solar. I would have like to have known about that, the cheeky monkey - but I guess business is business.

My setup then: Plenue P1 → Cayin C5 →Pandora Spc  → Solar → ear ‘oles

Please note, these reflections are based on the above and Trinity Audio foam tips so your mmv. Another point to note;  whilst I have lengthy experience of multiple iem and headphone listening and an unhealthy obsession with chasing aural nirvana, I haven’t experienced many actual TOTL’s for longer than a few minutes – so there won’t be much of the, ‘lower mids on the Solar through the wibbly dangly whip snapdragon cable are 10hz more recessed than the SE5.326 but the upper shrill range is more resolving than the JH NormaJean’-type of comparison. Sorry.

Also, my impressions on the Solar will be based purely on the set up above – through the P1, which has a multitude of EQing options, and the Cayin. So pure barebacked Solar impressions, these aren’t. (How many really are, I wonder?) I’m merely telling you my experiences at my preferred settings.

So, with my Solars still burning in, I ran through my motley and dubious collection:
    Floyd, Steely Dan, Beethoven, Gabriel, Fleetwood Mac, Amber Rubarth, Steven Wilson, Kate Bush, Supertramp, Yes, Miles Davis, Mozart, Sting, Diana Krall, Agnes Obel, Bonobo, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Bowie, Holst, Radiohead, The Beatles, The Doors, Wycliffe Gordon, Vivaldi, Van Morrison etc etc. And like Frankenstein’s monster…it slowly came alive.

Sting’s ‘All this time’. Now this is a quasi-live album. But the production is superb. The Solars put you in the nightclub, with glasses chinking slightly in the distance…it seems more like you’re on stage than in the audience…and then ‘Fragile’ begins. Piano music is notoriously difficult to reproduce well…but the Solars do just fine, with a pleasing depth of body and delicate tinkling up higher. And the strings and wind instruments…just beautiful.  There’s a real sparkle to the treble too and a real sense of distance and air between the instruments that the fantastic Solar treble brings.

The best album, I find, to check out soundstaging and imaging is Amber Rubarth’s binaural ‘Sessions from the 17th Ward’. It’s a threadbare mix of drums, guitars, violins and Amber’s vocals in an acoustic, almost echoey setting. With the Solars it’s like being in a hologram with drums pounding deep far to the right, guitars to the far left and in the middle and Amber just in front. You can hear her move her head as she sings and her intakes of breath as she reaches for the next syllable. Then there’s the strings reaching deep around you. It’s not easy to harness Ms Rubarth’s voice as it can be a little harsh on the highs with some iems. Not so with the Solars. It’s just clean, pure with a touch of echo - and not a trace of sibilance either.

Pink Floyd’s ‘Dark Side…’. Oh no, not that, I hear you say. Yep, fraid so. None better for comparing what I’ve heard before as it’s been with me for…a long time. OMG. I’m drifting into cliché when I say I’m hearing things I’ve never heard before. But it’s true. There are occasions with Solar when you feel like you’re actually inside the music looking around at each instrument and note. Something catches you and you focus on it, almost looking around the specific sound from each angle. That’s what it was like with DSotM and Solar. I’m sure I heard a bum note too…or a recording glitch. Must check it out again sometime.

PeterGabriel.jpg         phil_collins4.jpg

I’ve got a confession. I love Peter Gabriel. Not in that sense of course. He knows it mind…as I spoke to him once or twice about a book I was going to write on him and I think I must have made a real arse of myself.  Here’s a brief embarrassing story. When I was a despatch rider years ago, I had to deliver some tour badges to Phil Collins’ house in Surrey and he invited me in for a whiskey. It was a cold, wet night and he took pity on me. Nice guy, Phil. Lots of scars, I noticed. But instead of being starstruck, all I could talk about was Peter Gabriel and how he was a hero of mine (what a twa* I must have been) and that never published book. All he could say was, ‘he’s not all that you know’.  Ha.
    Bless him. He even left me a tip for waiting time when it was me blithering on for hours about Peter. Hey, I was young, gimme a break.

Anyway. Peter Gabriel’s ‘New Blood’ album. **** me. This is aural sex if ever there was. The orchestral versions of ‘The Rhythm of the Heat’ and ‘Downside Up’ are just eargasmic (pardon all these cringeworthy puns!). Full bodied, highly involving, dripping in emotion…with Gabriel’s voice winding round the orchestra’s booming drums and strings and his daughter’s vocals beautifully clear sweet and somehow suspended.  ‘Intruder’ is just frightening. Peter is in right up close in your ear, whispering, ‘I know…something about…opening windows and doors’. Get yourself outta here!

So I won’t go on any longer rhapsodising about Solar (oops, another pun) in terms of my music. I’m impressed as you can tell. It’s true what they say, Solar does hit hard when it wants to. The bass reaches deep when needed and eases off when it’s not wanted. It all takes a bit of getting used to, as any signature does, obviously. At times I felt it was too bassy. And sometimes I felt it was too bright. But that’s because you just look for faults and struggle to unpollute your head of lingering comparisons. Ultimately I have a suspicion it’s just right. Treble-wise, there is a nice sparkle in the highs, enough to give it space and air. Bass: 9/10 (undecided about BA bass v DD but this is as good as I’d expect from a pure BA). Treble: 10.

The mids. I haven’t mentioned the mids so far. Well some experienced headfiers have mentioned a slight V-shape. I’m not sure I’m experienced enough to say either way. All I can say is, it’s not anywhere near as v-shaped as the mid-low end iems I’ve tasted and spat out. For me, Solar’s mids are lovely and smooth with plenty of detail that I’ve hitherto missed before now managing to find its way through. Sometimes, yes, the vocals can be not so forward as you’d expect…but then again on certain tracks you wouldn’t want them any closer. 9 (some other TOTL’s would possibly deliver better).

The soundstaging? Very impressive. Best I’ve heard.  Iems are always going to struggle a little as there’s not much air or distance between the sound and the ear drum. So it’s always going to take a real trick of sound engineering to reproduce what we’re used to in the real world. Somewhere deep down I think when we listen to any iem we know that it’s not natural what we’re hearing  – which is possibly why we’re always looking for the next feat of engineering. But Solar is at times astounding. Others just good. Could be down to the production.
    Soundstage: 9.5. Imaging: 9.5.

Warm or bright signature? Thick notes or thin? Difficult one this, as I find Solar a bit of a chameleon. Generally it's on the slightly warmer side of neutral with a more analogue sound. Note thickness I've found can vary - sometimes it can really surprise you with its weight, depth and sheer size of sound as well as its ability to pound hard and fast. Other times it can sing like an angel - soaring lightly and seductively - especially on classical.

Ultimately it seems Solar has an uncanny ability to adapt to what you're playing. And the sheer detail it presents can astonish. If it wasn't for the annoying niggle of curiosity, we could well be talking endgame here. Congratulations to Sammy.

Hope you’ve enjoyed the read and my first review. To make up for the lack of comparisons, I’ve tried to be entertaining!
    2. ozziecook
      Thanks again :)
      The 'wibbly dangly whip snapdragon cable'? Ah yes...you can buy that from the, 'NeverFullySatisfied Audio store', Curiosity-Killed-the-Cat Lane, Squeeze-an-Extra-Detail City, BR0 KE
      :wink:
      ozziecook, Feb 3, 2016
    3. flinkenick
      Say what you want about that cable; it does improve the upper shrill range by a large margin.
      flinkenick, Feb 3, 2016
    4. glassmonkey
      That is a frigging brilliant first review. Makes me sad that you feel you've already reached the pinnacle. I'm glad your satisfied, but I want to read another one. :)
      glassmonkey, May 4, 2016
  10. tupac0306
    Rhapsodio Solar Universal Review: V-shape King
    Written by tupac0306
    Published Dec 10, 2015
    Pros - Punchy and deep bass, superb clarity, top class imaging and separation, great dynamics, detailed and resolving presentation.
    Cons - The universal size can be large for small ears.

Build Quality and Packaging:

The build quality of Solar universal is top class. As you can see, the 24k gold shell/faceplate design is absolutely a candy to the eye. The silver 4-wire cable is another feature that stands out because you don’t normally get this type of cable from a universal IEM package. Two types of canal tips (spinfit and wind tips) are included with different size options you can pick. The wind tips (red) is more like a wrap you put around the canal tubes, so it doesn’t take away much of the original sound of Solar making it the closest sounding to the custom version. The spinfit (white) tips provide a slightly more 3D soundstage and a bit more warmth and smoothness to the overall signature, which IMO is better for listening to vocals. The size of the Solar earpiece is larger than the average universals such as Shure or Westone IEMs, thus while the fit is fine, a portion of the shell is sticking out from my ears (but not to the extent of JH layla or Angie universals). Since it’s a universal IEM, the isolation is average, but still high enough to block the sound from the outer environment when playing music, unless someone is shouting at you. Actually the sound leak of universal has its own advantage over the custom version in terms of soundstage, you get a more sense of air and space from the universal. The comparison is similar to closed vs. open headphone, though not to that obvious extent. And you also got the choice to play with different tips to get different sound preferences.

For review purpose, the smallest wind tips (red) are used, because it provides deepest insertion and most sealed experience for me, hence providing the most original sound for the Solar.

The very first listening-section is very important for me because it can pretty much sum up whether I will like the IEM or not. For me, I always like the music to sound realistic and natural with only slight allowance of twist/emphasis here and there. Thus if an IEM is very colored, I will instantly know that it’s not my cup of tea. And I don’t get excited easily since I have owned more than 20 CIEMs. With that being said, Solar is one of the few IEMs that still get me amped up. The minute I put them on, I know I am encountering something special here. Superb clarity, resolution and dynamics without overly done, everything just sounds so effortless. Many thanks to Mim for the recommendation.

I only have Astell&Kern 380 as my source right now, so sadly I won’t be able to compare Solar regarding to different DAC/DAP systems. The Solar can also be easily driven very well with iphone 6 (~half the volume is the highest I can take), making it a great on-go option. The review is done after extended periods of careful listening.

Bass:

The bass on Solar is one of the aspects that stand out the most. The impact and presence of the bass is slightly more than neutral. But for people who like some extra bloom, it sound just satisfying! The texture is superb with plentiful detail, thanks to the treble. The quality of bass is more like JH Roxanne/UM mentor type rather than noble K10’s, so it’s very clean and punchy with slightly faster decay than normal. The extension of bass is awesome producing rumbling up to almost 20 Hz. What’s great is the balance between the sub, mid and upper bass region. No specific area is lacking, thus giving rise to a very coherent and complete overall bass performance. The bass also is greatly integrated with the mid section, producing no mid disturbance or incoherence what so ever. I don’t feel like the bass is dominant when listening to normal bass-level songs. But when it’s called for in some bass strong music, that’s where the capability of bass becoming impressive. I just can’t stop knocking my head with the deep, punchy and tight bass slam. So whether you are a bass head or not, you will be amazed by the incredible bass Solar offers. When switched to the spinfit (white) tips, it scattered out some of the treble, thus making the bass slightly more natural in terms of ADSR.

Midrange:

The mid region of Solar is clean, clear with a lot of detail, producing excellent instruments imaging and separation. Its overall presentation is slightly laid back in contrast to bass and treble, but not making is anyway too recessed. It just doesn’t get the most attention within the whole spectrum. And to my ears there isn’t any obvious hump or cut throughout the whole midrange (250-5000 Hz), so again very coherent. Certainly the mid is not as evolving as the spiral ear SE5 Ult, but the distant presentation provides another listening perspective allowing you to capture the performance as an audience in front of a stage rather than in a recording studio. Both male and female vocals sound good on Solar with great resolution and clarity. When switched to the spinfit (white) tips, the minor reduction of treble quantity exposed more mid-section, providing a more evolving, smoother and fuller sound. So if you want to take a break and relax from the high resolving, detailed presentation, spinfit tips are recommended.

Treble:

Along with the bass, the treble of the Solar is another aspect that stands out the most. With forwardness of the lower treble region (6-9k Hz), it produces excellent clarity and airiness with sharp, pinpoint type focus/imaging enabling you to capture every little detail being presented in the music. The note attack and decay is also on the faster side of the spectrum. The treble character makes the Solar a master in presenting instruments. No matter it’s normal pop, heavy rock, or even very aggressive metal, Solar handles any type of instrument density/speed effortlessly with clean and tidy performance. The treble extension is just as great as my other top end CIEMs (audible up to over 19 Hz), only fall behind the most extended CIEMs such as spiral ear SE5 Ref or JH audio 13FP. Although the upper treble isn’t dominating much, the Solar is still very transparent, so you won’t get the “veiled feeling” in IEMs like Roxanne due to its extremely dramatic treble extension roll off. Overall the treble is capable of producing a lot of sparkles while maintaining superb smoothness and liquidity. The Solar finds its sweet point where the music is presented in a clear and articulated way yet not getting in the trouble of any sibilance, which is very well done.

Presentation:

The Solar presents great space in the music with approximately equal width (x, y) and depth (z). The soundstage is as large as top end CIEMs like spiral ear SE5 or Hidition NT6, but fall a little short compared to Tralucent 1+2 or JH Roxanne. Although the absolute resolution is not as high as SE5, its high clarity and airiness from the lifted lower treble make it equally detailed, just in a different way. Note ADSR is fast type of natural across the frequency spectrum which makes sense due to its slightly V shaped sound signature. The coherence from bottom to the top is impressive! I cannot notice any obvious cut or hump throughout the whole spectrum, especially around the bass-mid and mid-treble connecting regions. Overall the Solar is slightly on the brighter side of neutral with combination of great fun and accuracy.

Summary:

With its fun, exciting and unique sound signature, the Solar is more than incredible, definitely within my favorite IEMs/CIEMs. It is the best V-shaped IEM I have ever heard to date. The perfectly integrated bass, mid and treble really take you right into the music, and make you forget you are actually listening to an earphone. I am even considering going for the custom version! It’s an all-rounder that is capable of playing any type of genre of music from rock, metal, classical, jazz to pop, R&B and hip hop. While the never sibilant, clear vocal sounds superb on Solar, the instrumental performance is absolutely top class. IMO it can fit most of people’s taste for enjoying music regardless you want an easy-to-listen-to or audiophile type IEM.

1. flinkenick
      Fantastic review mate, especially coming from someone so experienced!
      flinkenick, Dec 10, 2015
    2. Kerouac
      What an excellent Solar review! Very detailled sound descriptions with also some nice pictures added. I had some thoughts on the mids myself, but already posted that in the Rhapsodio thread. Thanks for the great read!
      Kerouac, Dec 11, 2015