RHA TrueConnect

• True wireless earbuds designed to keep you connected.
    The TrueConnect combines stylish, subtle design, excellent call and streaming quality, IPX5 sweat and weather resistance, and intuitive device and call control in noise isolating earbuds.
    • 5+20 hours battery, with fast charging
    • IPX5 sweat, splash and weather resistance
    • Secure, comfortable fit; ideal for active use
    • Stem design maximises call quality
    • Full device and digital assistant touch control
    • Noise isolating, low profile design
    • Durable flip charging case carries 4 charges
    • Supplied with Comply™ and RHA TrueConnect tips
    • 3 year warranty

Recent Reviews

1. AudioJunki3
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Written by AudioJunki3
    Published Jun 27, 2019
    Pros - Very enjoyable engaging sound
    Strong bass/mids performance
    Fantastic case design
    Battery life on par with other TOTL options
    Great isolation
    USB C charging
    Build quality
    Cons - Treble could be more prominent
    Stay away from silicone buds
    Hello fellow Head-fiers

Just dropping by to share my thoughts on this product, the RHA Trueconnect, true wireless IEM.

I've always been curious about TWS since they first came about. The early attempts we can all admit were rather disappointing to say the least, with a few sparkly gems hidden in between the rough, I'm looking at you Apple.

I know the Airpods aren't like "audiophile" and they don't particularly sound amazing, but they still have a pleasant sound and they're definitely a step up over what you'd get free with your iPods. What they do excel in however is functionality, the call quality, battery life, ease of use and portability. It's probably worth mentioning that it's now widely accepted to wear oral hygiene accessories in your ears as a statement of superiority, or so people seem to think, we can all admit we've probably spent more than £159 on earphones at some point.

I've been using the Airpods for a while now, their compact size and somewhat pleasant warm sound had kept me ticking over on my short morning commute, up until recently when the RHA Trueconnect caught my eye.

IMG_2752.JPG

I've had my eye on the TWS threads on here for a while, looking for something that might tick all the boxes of the Airpods with better isolation and sound quality. I'll admit, the Trueconnect have been on my list for a while, but reviews of horrendous connection issues have put me off for some time. I recently picked up the Bose Soundsport Free in hopes they'd offer me what I was looking for, they're great, at least in the sound department, but the lag during video was just unusable, luckily I bought them direct so I was able to return them on the Bose 30 day guarantee, hopefully their new Earbuds 500/700 will be better later this year.

Anyway, I ordered the RHA from Amazon UK. No risk really as Amazon have such a laxed returns policy, any issues and I could return them. With that in mind I decided to settle my curiosity and order a set.

Packaging:

The Trueconnect come in a solid cardboard box with various printed information and infographics. The box is laiden with a foam insert both top and bottom to keep the contents secure in transit. You're immediately greeted with the buds facing up, subtle RHA logo on both, and the charging case. Upon removal of the first layer you have two cardboard sections dividing the ear tips and a USB C cable to charge them back up. The usual spiel, paperwork and a packet of silica gel are also thrown in for good measure. Before anyone gets any bright ideas, you cannot eat the silica gel. The tips are all inserted into a steel credit card like board, there's a lot here so you'll never be short although I will talk about those later on.

The case:

IMG_2751.JPG

The case is actually one of my favourite aspects of this product. It's very well built, the aluminium bar that sits across the top is very sturdy and rotates beautifully. There's something very satisfying about the case of the Airpods, the opening mechanism is very tactile and this is also very apparent in the Trueconnect. The case opens and closes both with magnetic assistance, so there's very little effort involved but it wouldn't openly swing by itself. It closes with a very solid click and it's super satisfying, I love it, great experience, 10/10 would recommend the case.

Other notable mentions are the USB C charging, it's 2019, everything should be made with USB C these days, I refuse to believe it adds enough cost to a product that companies are actively avoiding it and putting micro USB on TWS products these days, RHA I salute you for going the extra mile. Lastly there are 3 white LED's on the case which indicate the cases battery level and whether or not the buds are charging. I've not owned them long enough to have needed a recharge yet but I trust they'll hold out long enough that I'll not need to moan about it.

The Buds:

IMG_2753.JPG

The buds are obviously the centrepiece of the Trueconnect, they support bluetooth 5.0 which is a massive must for TWS I believe. A lot of the chinese firms are claiming 5.0 these days and it's absolute garbage, glad to see that RHA have done right but us and given the genuine service. The thing is, you can really tell, the audio lag when watching videos is near nil and the connection is absolutely unbreakable. I was definitely put off when reading numerous reviews about the poor connectivity of these earphones but I've genuinely not had a single issue since I've had them. I did some distance tests to try and push these to their limits as my apartment is quite long, I placed the phone by the front door and went to the far back of the living room, it's a fair 10-13m away with numerous walls in between. I was shocked to see that there wasn't a single blip in the connection, they really stand up to their name of being truly connected. If anyones curious I use an iPhone XS Max, hence the Airpods, I'm not sure what other people were using but perhaps it's something to do with the phone, or perhaps the bluetooth chips in both devices just work very well together, either way, the connect was faultless in my case.

Each bud has a large circular button on the outside for playing and pausing music, holding the button gives you access to whatever assistant your phone uses. Overall the buds are nice, they aren't as stand out as Airpods, I wish apple made a matte black Airpod. These definitely don't stand out as much, and that's a good thing for sure.

The Sound:

I've never owned an RHA product before so I have no idea what their sound is like. I'm aware that a few companies such as Sennheiser, B&O ect have their own house sound, I assume RHA have a similar thing going on with their products. From what I can tell so far they're going for an engaging, fun, rich sound signature.

I mentioned that I'd touch back on the eartips again later. Basically I've tried the silicone ones and I've tried the included Comply ones. Wouldn't even give the silicone ones the time of day, they gave me a horrible feeling of a plunger in my ear, pulling my eardrum out of place and to be honest it really hurt, as if that wasn't bad enough they just don't sound anywhere near as good as the Comply ones do. The silicone tips sound like a whole lot of mud and that might have something to do with how tightly they sealed my ears but I'd stay well clear of those.

The Comply tips are fantastic, their foam allows some breathability to there was no suction and no agony, just a great seal and comfortable fit, not to mention the sound really came alive with these.

Lows:

As I previously mentioned RHA definitely have a warmer signature so I guess that means their focus will be on a decent low end. It’s a very rich enjoyable sound, which I feel is great for commuting. I came to the realisation lately that having the most accurate sound reproduction isn’t always best, I was listening to my Flares Pro 2 HD and while I love them, sometimes I just found it a bit too accurate and some tracks just really aren’t for me. Anyway, the RHA do low end relatively well, they’re very enjoyable with anything upbeat and electrical. Certain songs have a real rumble to them and it’s well handled here. I do feel there’s some mixture between the mids and that’s sometimes okay but you’ll have to decide that for yourself. The bass isn’t massively tight and controlled but it’s good enough for the purpose of the product.

Mids:

The midrange on the RHA is great, it’s just a pleasant experience and I’m completely satisfied with that they’re providing here. It’s detailed and does the job nicely, there’s great separation and vocals are very clearly depicted through these earphones. I spent a lot of time listening to Jamiroquai and London Grammar in order to give me a good idea of what I’m dealing with and the results were very pleasing, especially from London Grammar, very nice indeed.

Highs:

The highs on these are decent, they definitely aren’t front and centre but they’re definitely there, I’d just say you’ll probably notice the lows and mids a bit more than the clarity of these earphones. I’ll touch on the fact that I don’t think they were designed to be the most analytical sounding. Me personally I’m not a fan of anything too high because I find it too piercing and I’ll always pick warmer sounding gear. I’d not say that I’m disappointed with the treble, because personally it’s exactly what I like, but others may not be massively blown away by the clarity as much as the lower end reproduction.

The conclusion:

Do I recommend the RHA Trueconnect? Absolutely!

They definitely tick all the boxes for someone like me who commutes and occasionally likes to walk around the house with my earplugs in without the hassle of wires. Connectivity through my iPhone was stellar, they paired within seconds of being removed from their case and stayed connected until I put them away.

RHA have taken all the great things about the Airpods that I loved and wrapped it in silky smooth delicious sound. Personally I really rate the sound quality of these earphones, they are rich and engaging, full of life with great bass and the seal with the Comply tips really puts the icing on the cake, just make sure you don't dislodge your brain with those toilet plunger silicone tips.

I genuinely think I've found my endgame TWS product, at least until RHA do something else spectacular.
      iBo0m and Kitechaser like this.
    1. iBo0m
      Excellent review! Do you have any comparison to other true wireless in-ears?
      iBo0m, Jul 24, 2019
  2. yong_shun
    Wireless Charm - RHA TrueConnect
    Written by yong_shun
    Published Feb 25, 2019
    Pros - Matte finishing gives better grip
    In-ear design provides better isolation
    Audiophile standard of sound quality
    Cons - More codec supports will be desired
    Introduction
    Since 2011, RHA has developed a range of acclaimed noise isolating in-ear headphones using premium materials and innovative design. Combining elegant, functional design and intuitive features, RHA creates audio products with personality, transforming the way audiophiles interact with sound, technology and the people in their life.
    True wireless or truly wireless earbuds have been a new wireless trend in audio market now. A lot of big players such as Sony, Sennheiser and Jabra have leaped into the catagory. Their involvment in this region changed the rules of the game - Freedom and Sound Quality can co-exist.

I have long experience with RHA since 2015. I am always impressed by RHA products such as MA750, T10 and T20. Nicely tuned by the engineers while the durability is never compromised. RHA succesfully leveraged their expertise in sound quality to the wireless industry. MA750 wireless is one of my favourite wireless earphones. In 2018, RHA launched their new TrueConnect which surprised the audio community including me. After spending some quality time with the unit, I decided to wirte a review on this charm.

Specifications
    • Charging case
    • USB C charging cable
    • RHA TrueConnect silicone ear tips: 2xS, 3xM, 2xL
    • Comply™ Foam TrueGrip Plus ear tips: 1xS, 1xM, 1xL
    • Stainless steel ear tip holder
    When I first get the unit, I find the design of RHA TrueConnect looks like Apple AirPods - A black Apple AirPods. After taking a closer observation, there are a lot of difference between the two. The charging case is larger as compared to AirPods' charging case. However, it looks more sturdy as compared to the plastic case of AirPods. Fraid not! You can save much effort by owning RHA because you do not need to find a additional case to protect the case.
    [​IMG]
    TrueConnect is covered with matte finishing which could potentially give a better grip as compared to AirPods. Smooth finishing in truly wireless earbuds is a flaws because oil in the ear will make it slippery and eventually slip out from the ears. Nice selection of material by RHA.
    [​IMG]
    Besides the matte finishing, RHA utilized in-ear design with silicon eartips. This design helps to improve the fitting also because the weight is now further spread out and supported by different part of the ears. Aside from better fitting, this design can give a better seal and ultimately lead to a better bass performance. I will further elaborate this later in this review.
    Fitting
    As mentioned in the previous section, RHA TrueConnect indeed provides a good fitting by using matte finishing and in-ear design. However, some flaws are spotted. I have a relatively large ear but I felt my ears were stretched horizontally when wearing this. This could be potentially caused by the bone in my ear. Fitting of wireless earbuds are very subjective so I would advice to have an audition before buying. This truly wireless earbuds are finished with sweat proof coating of IPX5. Sport enthusiasts can use this earbuds when hitting up to gym on jogging around the neighborhood. I believe the matte coating can reduce the chance of the earbuds to slip out from your ears because the friction is stronger as compared to those with smooth finishing.

Control
    A lot of the truly wireless earbuds do not have much control on the earbuds except for play/pause and voice assistant. RHA did a breakthrough here. You can do volume control and track skipping on TrueConnect. The complete details can be found in the user manual. No rocket science here, as long as you can understand the language, RHA TrueConnect works flawlessly!

Battery Life
    RHA TrueConnect enables you to submerge yourself in your audio world continuously for 5 hours. The charging case hold 4 charges, meaning 20 hours of battery life. For those who are taking long journey of train, you can safely arrive at your location without worrying the battery of your earbuds. RHA utilized Type-C USB charging port for TrueConnect which supports fast-charging. Technology advancement is showing up here again.

Connectivity
    TrueConnect is embedded with Bluetooth V5.0. Bluetooth 5.0’s primary benefits are improved speed and greater range. In other words, it’s faster and can operate over greater distances than older versions of Bluetooth. The official Bluetooth marketing material from the Bluetooth standard organization advertises that Bluetooth 5.0 has four times the range, two times the speed, and eight times the broadcasting message capacity of older versions of Bluetooth. Again, these improvements apply to Bluetooth Low Energy, ensuring devices can take advantage of them while saving power.

While spending time with this earbuds, I find that strong signal from the surrounding can cause interference with the Bluetooth signal. One instance, when I was waiting at the junction to cross the road, the signal from traffic light actually cut the signal. After further checking, almost 10/10 of the truly wireless earbuds will be interfered by stronger signal from the surrounding. Something to take note here.

RHA TrueConnect does not support any other codec besides SBC. I think this could be a space for improvement for the next generation. Hi-Res Audio is dominating the audio market now and I think in no time truly wireless earbuds will leverage on this bullet train and embark their journey in Hi-Res Audio. We shall wait for this.

I tested this earbuds with my LG G6 playing Spotify Premium. I do lossless library but I do not think it makes any significant difference here. The soundstage of this wireless earbuds can be considered as wide. I think this is one of the widest I can find in truly wireless range. Depth wise is sufficient. I can feel the layering when the lows are kicking in. The expertise and experience that RHA owned are well utilized in designing this earbuds. The overall sound signature can be considered as dark. It reminds me of MA750 when I first listened to this. I can see the shadow of RHA's IEMs in TrueConnect.

Lows
    The lows is taking the back of the stage. The bass is kicking energetically from deep. Personally I find the bass is sufficient even for bass head unless their eardrums are completing damaged. Sometime I really struggle when they tell me the bass of a headphone is insufficient and I actually classified the headphone as bass-head headphone. Well, subjective right? The lows attack fast, precise and take short time to decay. This tuning controlled the lows and minimize the chance of lows bleeding towards mids.

Mids
    Mids are neither forward nor recessed. Vocalists are standing right in the center of the stage as the star. I like this tuning. If the mids are too forward will make the overall performance dull and lack of musicality. Recessed wise will make me use much effort to focus on the vocalist. RHA did it right here for TrueConnect. Male vocalists sound energetic and rich while female vocalists sound sweet and airy. For those who like pop songs, RHA TrueConnect is a right choice.

Highs
    I find the highs are a little bit shy in TrueConnect. This could be caused by the more emphasis in the lows region. However, the presence is still considerably sufficient. The highs are not exaggerate. It is well extended and decay is managed well without causing any distortions which can be commonly seen in many earphones. The sound produced by cymbals hits you like a wave instead of a needle that pierce through your eardrums. I can listen to this for long.

Conclusion
    New Bluetooth V5.0 earphone is rare in the market and RHA TrueConnect is one of them. Besides the stellar connectivity, the supreme sound quality of the TrueConnect can easily beat a lot of major players in the market. Fitting wise is subjective but from the shape we know it can fit most of the people. RHA hears what audio community need and designs according to the needs. I like RHA approach here - Do it once, do it right.

Well done RHA! I love it!

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!