nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. Sweden
    Great review. What headphones are you using now with it and how are they working directly from the headphone out?
    Sweden, May 1, 2012
  2. project86
    I've been using it a lot with the Lawton LA7000, which sounds very good. Also plenty of use with my custom IEMs - Heir Audio 6.A a lot lately, also Earproof Atom and Aurisonics AS-1b. It does a good job with all of those. Not as good as my dedicated amps (which cost way more than the entire D100) but still very enjoyable.
    project86, May 2, 2012
  3. obt-man
    Hi project86, excellent summary of the this DAC. Do you have any idea how this A100 performs against Matrix Mini-I? I am interested in the DAC section in the first place, but the headphone amp is also important. I own Matrix and think of upgrading to the DACs you mentioned - Lavry, etc. Would this Yulong be a step up to Matrix? Thanks
    obt-man, Jun 25, 2012
  4. Q Mass
    Hi Project, Thanks for both this and your original D100 thread (which I've just finished reading!, although I confess it took quite a lot of 'skimming' to get through all the comments) I wonder If you've heard any of the Maverick Audio products? I've narrowed my search for a dac-pre-head amp down to the D100 II and the Maverick Audio D1+ and I'm hoping someone has had the chance to compare them? The fact that the D1+ has a tube pre-out and can be used as a pre-amp allowing volume adjust to a power amp is tempting, as it the tweakability (tube and op-amp rolling). But the D100 II seems to be very well received, and almost as flexible. I know they're not strictly comparable products but y'know... I plan to use whatever I buy as a dac and headphone amp primarily. Any advice offered will be very gratefully received!
    Q Mass, Jan 24, 2013
  5. Hellenback
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    A little late to the party but I'm I'm always happy to hear/read about gear that offers great value. What I'm about to say is meant to offer an alternative as opposed to being a criticism as I have not heard the Yulong. For significantly less money even the original Matrix Mini-i (no remote) does 88.2 & 176. It also uses [i]two[/i] of the same AD1955 dac chips. The picture above indicates a similar implementation to the Matrix but I realize pictures don't tell the whole story. For my money I'm staying with the less expensive Matrix. Hooked up to a Little Dot MKVII+ the HD650s sound exceptional (as do as other auditioned cans). I [i]was[/i] considering a DAC upgrade but went with a Toxic Silver Poison cable instead and am very happy with the improvement in SQ. I've had the good fortune of hearing some very expensive gear over the years (through friends and meets) so it's hard to believe I could get [i]better[/i] sound without spending a boat-load of cash. Except for needing a component to accommodate hi-res over USB I think I'll remain happy for some time with the aforementioned set-up. I do need to add that I don't use the Matrix as an amp. If the Yulong offers a [i]very[/i] good headphone amp as well, it would be[i][/i]worth the added expense but I've yet to hear a sub $500 combo unit that didn't come with upgraditis. Finally, to the OP...a great review that may have swayed me into a purchase if I didn't already own a similar DAC that offers 88.2/176 playback. It would certainly be nice if Windows 7 offered those resolutions natively from on-board HD audio digital out ;(
    Hellenback, Mar 17, 2013
  6. Hellenback
    A little late to the party but I'm I'm always happy to hear/read about gear that offers great value. What I'm about to say is meant to offer an alternative as opposed to being a criticism as I have not heard the Yulong. For significantly less money even the original Matrix Mini-i (no remote) does 88.2 & 176. It also uses [i]two[/i] of the same AD1955 dac chip and has also been compared to DACs costing multiples it's price. The pictures above indicates a similar implementation to the Matrix but I realize pictures don't tell the whole story. For my money I'm staying with the less expensive Matrix. Hooked up to a Little Dot MKVII+ the HD650s sound truly exceptional (as do other auditioned cans). I was considering a DAC upgrade but went with a "like new" Toxic Silver Poison cable instead and am very happy with [i]that[/i] improvement in SQ. I've had the good fortune of hearing some very expensive gear over the years (through friends/meets etc.) so it's hard to believe I could get better sound without spending a boat- load of cash. Except for needing a component to accommodate hi-res over USB I think I'll remain happy for some time with the aforementioned set-up. I need to add that I don't use the Matrix as an amp. If the Yulong offers a very good headphone amp as well it would be worth the added expense, but I've yet to hear a sub $500 combo unit that didn't come with upgraditis. Finally, to the OP...a great review that may have swayed me into a purchase if I didn't already own a similar DAC that does offer 88.2/176 playback. Now if Windows 7 only offered those resolutions natively from on-board HD audio digital out ;(
    Hellenback, Mar 17, 2013