nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. gimpy
    Can you comment on how this little amp/dac works with the 840's? I think my 840's sound great by themselves but am wondering if the sound can get even better with it (on a lap top using the "Beats Audio"). thx.
    gimpy, May 12, 2011
  2. Brooko
    Hi Gimpy I primarily bought the E7 as a DAC. I was using onboard sound - and the idea of having a portable DAC with the benefit of also trying a portable amp as well was just too good to pass up. As a DAC - the E7 is very clean and a real step-up from my onboard sound. On my netbook the difference has been very, very noticeable. It just sounds so much cleaner and clearer. Using the SRH840's - straight from my iPod Touch 4, and concentrating on two songs I'm really enjoying at the moment - Adele's "Set Fire To The Rain" and Florence & The Machine's "Howl" * I agree the 840's don't [i][b]need[/b][/i] amping, they are great as-is. * They are very clear, mids are great, highs are clear * Bass can sometimes be a tiny little boomy on some tracks. To be honest, I didn't notice this until I A/B'd with the E7. Adding the E7 via LOD * To my ears the clarity rises a notch. * The bass tightens - tracks I mentioned above both definitely improve. * If anything - I'd describe it as quite transparent & simply "clean" * There is definitely some instrument separation - everything sounds "more natural" Some of the improvement could be because I'm bypassing the HP out on the Touch with the LOD. But I'm enjoying an improvement anyway. It could be placebo (I'm a realist) - but I'm [b][i]certain that for me[/i][/b] the sound is better - and that's all that matters. The other advantage at the moment is that I also have the ATH AD700's. With these, the E7's bass boost function s wonderful. I only raise it a notch - but it adds some needed extension to the 700's bass and makes them incredibly enjoyable. The final thing - and another reason I bought the E7 - scalability. I've already bought and am waiting on the E11. It will be my portable. I then will purchase the E9 and couple it with the E7 permanently (just for the PC - or netbook when I travel). Anyway - sorry for the novel. For my ears, and paired with the 840 - it's worth the money.
    Brooko, May 12, 2011
  3. Brooko
    I just revisited this review - and I guess it shows how little I knew when I wrote it. It's amazing what perspective will give you. I've left the original reply I posted for gimpy - but I now realise it for what it is - over-exuberance with a new toy - and a case of expectation bias. The E7 is great if you have a noisy onboard. For portable use (DAP rather than netbook) - there are better options - the amp is simply to weak to really drive a lot of harder to run cans.
    Brooko, Jul 18, 2012
  4. dma1138
    Could you please list here another "better options"? :)
    dma1138, Oct 18, 2012
  5. Brooko
    What's your use and budget? Do you need a dac, or would you be using it as an amp only? Need more info if I was to give you any recommendations. PM me if you want.
    Brooko, Oct 18, 2012