nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. Tim van der Leeuw
    Thanks for the write-up. Since this is just a DAC, it needs an amp - what (headphone) amp are you using it with? Anything in particular to recommend?
    Tim van der Leeuw, Jul 8, 2019
  2. kdoof
    These impressions were made using the Schiit Asgard 2. One of my favorite amps I've ever heard is the Massdrop CTH -- I'd sold it for the Asgard 2 and regret it, the Asgard 2 can be harsher-sounding, while the CTH was a touch more liquid and forgiving, while still being engaging.
    kdoof, Jul 8, 2019
  3. Tim van der Leeuw
    You mean this one? [URL]https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-cth-tube-hybrid-amp[/URL] Hm, I don't know if I can get it in the EU with a proper power-supply for 220V, and I'm not too keen on the idea of a tube-amp either for a number of practical reasons. I'm looking for an affordable solid-state amp. I've heard good things about the Topping DX7s but also heard people say that it's headphone-amp sections seems to be a bit of an afterthought so I'm weighting my options.
    Tim van der Leeuw, Jul 9, 2019
  4. kdoof
    If it were my first amp I’d probably just go with a Magni 3 or JDS Labs Atom. At the beginning you just want a sort of competent reference with enough power that you don’t feel you’re missing anything substantial, but that gives you flexibility to develop your chain later on. Both those amps are powerful, clean, simple, and best of all cheap, with low output impedance, plus both have preamp outs. They’re both American companies so apologies if that’s sort of a hindrance to getting those two.
    kdoof, Jul 9, 2019
    Baten likes this.
  5. Tim van der Leeuw
    Thanks for the advise. I'll consider my amp options! :)
    Tim van der Leeuw, Jul 10, 2019
  6. FireLion
    I got the D10 and prefer it to the D30, I did mod it with a v5i-d. Might be just my particular amp and headphone setup. I have asked how to the tests correlate to sound quality on ASR.
    FireLion, Jul 20, 2019
    Baten likes this.
  7. Baten
    [USER=487822]@kdoof[/USER] now get the D70 to compare!
    Baten, Jul 20, 2019