nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. G_T_J
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you were one that loved the Hifiman RE400. Personally I absolutely love my RE400 but they have started to fall apart after years of usage and now am considering upgrading to something more durable while retaining a similar s. signature. From what I've researched, the E4000 and the eR4xr should be sounding similar to the RE400.
  2. G_T_J
    Probably the IE800s as well but those are well outside my budget. I'm looking for a balanced signature with slightly forward mids and slightly emphasized bass. From what I read the E5000 must be bassy and woolly for my taste but the E4000 should be right down my alley! What do you think? Thanks for a great review!
  3. Zelda
    Well, I did like the RE-400 when it was out, but that was some years ago already. There very good options you can find today over the RE400, in sound, build quality and price. However, I don't find the E4000 to share a similar signature with the RE400. The E4000 sound is fuller and warmer, with a much stronger bass. Midrange is also thicker and more dynamic.
    Zelda, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Zelda
    However you might enjoy the E4000 as well if you like a forward and rich midrange with good vocals and some energy on the lower treble. The E5000 has still a more powerful bass, but overall a better balance
    Zelda, Jun 26, 2019
  5. G_T_J
    Thanks for your excellent input! A rich midrange and an overall even tonal balance is what I fancy indeed and that's the reason I didn't look at the E5000 as they are supposedly even bassier. Curious to know what you'd consider a sonic equivalent to the RE400.
  6. Zelda
    I'd be difficult to suggest something similar to the RE400, as I don't have that one anymore, and also don't have the same sources that used back then. Generally, the RE400 has a forward midrange, not too thick, and a bit lean on the low mids. light bass, and little emphasis on the upper mids, but with a very smooth treble. What's your current setup, and the how much you'd be willing to spend for a new IEM?
    Zelda, Jun 27, 2019
  7. G_T_J
    My findings are similar to yours with regards to RE400 sound signature. I have never found them tiring but at the same time, never felt the need for more bass. Everything about them is offered in the right proportion for my taste. Currently my on the go DAP is M11 which is pretty powerful and neutral. I'm looking towards the Moondrop Kanas Pros, the E4000 and the cheap Tin T2s. I could spend up to $300-$400 for something of worth. I also prefer small housings
    G_T_J, Jun 27, 2019
  8. Zelda
    I would have suggested the iBasso IT01s or Campfire Audio IO. they are both different, but have good midrange and don't overdo the bass and treble. however, they are not small housings at all. the final E series are among the most compact options. if you want more neutrality, then the Periodic Audio Mg.
    Zelda, Jun 27, 2019
  9. G_T_J
    Periodic Audio Mg...Never heard of this. I should do my homework I think. :) Thank you very much for your help!
    G_T_J, Jun 27, 2019
  10. G_T_J
    Are the Periodic Audio MGs neutral as, say, the ER4P? If that's the case, it won't do it for me as I found them clinical and souless. However, I haven't heard the latest literation er4xr and from memory, the RE-0 I had many moons ago was a very good set in its time. I'd indeed fancy something as small as the final audio offerings but I understand that we can't have it all :)
    G_T_J, Jun 28, 2019
  11. Zelda
    Haven;t tried the ER4 to give a fair comparison. But the Mg are more on the RE0/Zero line rather than the RE400. the E4000 is still closer to the RE600 if you tried that one
    Zelda, Jun 29, 2019
  12. G_T_J
    Well I've had both iems, the RE-0 and the RE-600 and loved them. As you understand I'm a big fan of the Hifiman house signature. I think I'll have to get both the Mgs and the E4000 to evaluate as from what you say, they compliment one anther having different flavored signatures. For a while I even thought about the E5000 as well but I wouldn't want even more bass by any means. Any experience on the Moodrop Kanas or the Tin T2s?
    G_T_J, Jun 29, 2019
  13. Zelda
    No idea on the Kanas, but had the T2 and recently reviewed the T3 (which is very similar)
    Zelda, Jun 29, 2019
  14. G_T_J
    Do they share a similar character like the RE400? Do they worth it especially collared to iems such as E4000 and Periodic MGs?
    G_T_J, Jun 30, 2019
  15. Zelda
    The T2 are colder next to the Mg, with more treble emphasis. The T3 just a tad fuller on the bass/mid, but still on the bright side. I personally even preferred the Soundmagic E80 over the RE400, even if it's an older model. Specially if you have good source for its 64 impedance. Would still suggest the E4000 if you liked a midrange like the RE600 and don't mind some lift of the mid-bass
    Zelda, Jun 30, 2019
  16. G_T_J
    Excellent insight! Thank you for the valuable info. I found good deals both for the E4000 and the MGs and have ordered both! I'm not sure about the Soundmagic. I had that in my wishlist once but many have resorted it as a bright and removed it eventually. My driving DAP will be M11, so plenty of power for a portable setup.
    G_T_J, Jun 30, 2019