nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. leobigfield
    Could you please elaborate? Comparisons, etc?
    leobigfield, Apr 11, 2017
  2. oyster
    No direct comparisons , but from memory: Sansa clip zip - Unresolving, sandpaper treble, for the price not offensive but still unlistenable, previous gen sansas were better iDevices - Very clean, poor depth, treble glare, dry sounding, lack bass dynamics, average tone/timbre Hidiz AP60 - Warm tone , good timbre, thin lower treble, good microdynamics/depth/layering, for the price a great DAP. FIIO X1 1st gen- Gooey Fiio X3 1st gen - less gooey than x1 but still sucks Fiio X5 1st gen - less gooey than x3 and listenable A&k jr - neutral, listenable, uninspiring/boring A&K 300 - Artificial tone/timbre, too synthetic sounding, one of the worst DAPs Aune M1s - One note bass centered around 100hz, pathetic treble timbre, resolving, poor dynamics, average depth/layering,/microdynamics, sounds etched and forced (lacks effortlessness). The timbre is so bad that even before the track plays I can visualize how bad it is going to sound
  3. Layman1
    Hi, thanks for this review, seems you are not a fan at all! I'm receiving a unit to review, should arrive today. I don't know if you believe in burn-in (or brain/psychological burn in), but for the sake of completeness and as a point of reference, may I ask did you burn in the unit at all prior to reviewing, and if so for how long?   Some people have reported similar issues with (e.g.) the bass as you, but said it went away (indeed, was much transformed for the better) after 200 hours of burn in, so just wondering!
    Layman1, Apr 12, 2017
  4. oyster
    Hi there, The unit belongs to my friend and is around a couple months old. I heard the unit while new and again few days back. The tone/timbre is so screwed to begin with that its difficult getting used to it. A&K 300 has an even worse tone but is easy on ears. I can oversee the one note bass but the treble glare is just awful. Although everyone else who heard the unit were mighty impressed and ordered for themselves. For me it was terrible.
  5. leobigfield
    Thanks for the answer! Do you have any DAP to recommend?
    leobigfield, Apr 12, 2017
  6. oyster
    Not fond of DAPs in general due to the compromises but I think Hidiz AP60 is VFM and acceptable SQ if you can look past the thin lower treble. A mimby/modi2 stack would sound more potent than most portable solutions. Sony DAPs have good tonality but lack power for anything but the most sensitive load and hence end up sounding warm mess with difficult load.
  7. Niyologist
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    Isn't the M1S neutral. So of course it won't be for everyone. My OPUS #1 has better tonality because it sounds slightly more musical. BTW, besides a smartphone. What do you use for music portability?
    Niyologist, Apr 12, 2017
  8. Niyologist
    Isn't the M1S neutral? So of course it won't be for everyone. My OPUS #1 has better tonality because it sounds slightly more musical. BTW, besides a smartphone. What do you use for music portability?
    Niyologist, Apr 12, 2017
  9. oyster
    Touch boosted treble but otherwise fairly neutral. Despite a bit high treble energy levels its not bright at all. However, the treble tone is completely wrong so is the bass. Quality wise its quite clean and textured (hence resolving). My phone is the only portable source I use. Occasionally I get to listen to the portable gear my friends get for themselves.