nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. jeffhawke
    Thanks for the thorough and well-written review. I have a micro iDSD BL and I am considering upgrading to the Pro iCAN, however I am somewhat held back by questions I have on pairing a DAC to it (at least until a Pro iDAC is released, at God knows what price). Do you think the micro DAC section serves the purpose well enough? Or does the DAC also need to be balanced? Thank you!
  2. Trogdor
    Pro iDAC will be *around* ~$2000. To your other question, yes I do! I think the micro iDSD makes a fine pairing with the Pro as an intermediary before you choose a dedicated component. Doubly true for the Chord Mojo. What cans do you intend to use with the Pro?
  3. jeffhawke
    Fostex TH500RP, Fidelio X2 (those I already have), for the future I was considering SD800s or even Stax 007 maybe. Any suggestions?
  4. Trogdor
    I think the Pro iCAN is a bit overboard for those cans unless you plan to grow into something harder to drive. What is nice though about the Pro is that you can buy the future Energizer module and then add the 007 or even 009 to your stable?
  5. Trogdor
    I should qualify the above statement that I still believe both the TH500RP and X2 will improve with the Pro nevertheless.
  6. jeffhawke
  7. drwlf
    Thanks for the Metal-Fi take on the amp!
  8. jeffhawke
    You mean iFi is bringing out an Energizer module? This being the case I'll just wait 'til it comes and then scrap the bottom of the barrel and go for the whole bunch (Pro+Energizer+007A or 009). I'll keep enjoying my current cans with the micro while waiting...
  9. drwlf
    [user=446951]@jeffhawke[/user] they're bringing out both, the dac and the energizer, most likely the energizer first as it's been showcased already.
  10. Trogdor
    I have a high-res picture of the Pro iDSD and iCAN on "the rack" on my site (check out the CanJam NYC trip report). I'm told "soon."
  11. jeffhawke
    • This message has been removed from public view.
    I saw it, thanks, although blowing up the picture the iDSD looks like a mock-up to me. Also, I don't understand why it has a headphone output, is it supposed to have an amp section too? If so, I feel it's a bit of a waste, unless they plan on selling it as a standalone, at which point I wonder if the iDSD still makes sense at that price point.
  12. jeffhawke
    I saw it, thanks, although blowing up the picture the iDSD looks like a mock-up to me. Also, I don't understand why it has a headphone output, is it supposed to have an amp section too? If so, I feel it's a bit of a waste, unless they plan on selling it as a standalone, at which point I wonder if the iCAN still makes sense at that price point.
  13. Trogdor
    Not a mock-up, that's the real thing (though I suppose the chassis could change). It is supposed to have a headphone amp. I think they are thinking that the Pro iDSD will be like the Benchmark on its own. But I don't speak for iFi.
  14. jeffhawke
    I didn't think you did. The reason it looked like a mock-up to me is that, if you blow up the picture all the way, not only the ares that are supposed to be lit up when it's turned on appear to be printed or engraved, but the power button on the bottom left is pushed in all the way, so obviously not functional. But it doesn't really matter, I wonder though if it wouldn't have made more sense to keep it as a fully balanced DAC/preamp instead so as not to needlessly duplicate functionalities since the Pro iDSD is most likely far superior as a headphone amp.
  15. jeffhawke
  16. jeffhawke
    I just saw this video: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYnH93pgK5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYnH93pgK5w[/url] It was not a mock-up ;) As you can see, the energizer is ready and working as well. I wonder how much the whole stack is going to cost, probably between 5 and 6 grand...
  17. Trogdor
    Told you so! ;-)! The iDSD is again suppose to be around $2k. The Pro iCAN is $1700 and my guess is the energizer will be similarly priced (they have not announced so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt). I was told more about the iDSD but I can't divulge. Suffice it to say, it's real!
  18. jeffhawke
    Appreciate that Alex, thanks. The interesting thing about the energizer is that there is a hint in the video about it being able to power electrostatic speakers, and you can see in the back of the energizer speaker cable connectors. As I am also considering getting a pair of electrostatic speakers, well, there you are..  Maybe this is the info you can't reveal :-D
  19. drwlf
    [url=http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-discussion-thread/1515#post_13067755]http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-discussion-thread/1515#post_13067755[/url] [url=http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-discussion-thread/1590#post_13232527]http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-discussion-thread/1590#post_13232527[/url] and lastly: [url=http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-discussion-thread/1500#post_13043631]http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-discussion-thread/1500#post_13043631[/url] :P
  20. loplop
    Interesting to read a metal-head's take, thanks for posting @trogdor. I use the XBass on occasion, usually the 10hz setting, to fill in recordings that are light in the bass. On some classical, for instance, the bass is quite light and without reinforcing you miss some of the hall ambiance. My LCD3 can be bass shy themselves at times, so 10hz is often on for them. LCDX not as often. I have also used it on 20 or even 40 with bass-light headphones, usually fairly cheap ones like B&W p5s2 or thinksound ON2. It's a very well done implementation, IMO! @jeffhawke I am waiting for the iDSD Pro, also, and currently using an iDAC2 > iCAN Pro. Before I got the iDAC2 I used my iDSD BL. It's a great pair with the iCAN Pro, definitely up to the task. Really, really enjoyable listen.
    loplop, Feb 11, 2017
  21. jeffhawke
    Thanks @loplop. Any noticeable differences in terms of SQ between using the iDSD BL and the iDAC2?
    jeffhawke, Feb 11, 2017