nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. jsplice
    Nice review.  I currently have the old iDSD and the Dragonfly Red.  They perform very close to one another, but the Dragonfly Red is only $200.  I'm having a hard time justifying the extra cost of the iDSD.
    jsplice, Dec 31, 2016
  2. glassmonkey
    I haven't found any DAC that supports DSD over coaxial or optical natively. In my experience DoP or conversion always has to be used. The Mojo, for example converts everything to PCM--it doesn't do native at all. Therefore, I think your one negative is probably a bit unfair. I think there is a firmware flavour that does DoP, but why compromise the sound?   With regards to Dragonfly Red, it only plays to 24/96, doesn't do DSD, and has a weak-sauce amplifier compared to the iDSD. If you don't need DSD, PCM above 24/96 or a powerful amp, then the iDSD is probably overkill for you.
    glassmonkey, Jan 1, 2017
    blackyangell likes this.
  3. jsplice
    Even with the somewhat-inefficient Beyer T1.2s, the amp in the iDSD is overkill.  I still run the iDSD on eco mode with the T1.2s.  I'd say unless you're looking for a portable unit that can power the HE-6, you'll never use all the power that the iDSD can output.  Headphones now are becoming more and more efficient every day.  The ability to do DSD is nice though, and something I definitely miss with the Dragonfly.
    jsplice, Jan 1, 2017
  4. glassmonkey
    [user=73763]@jsplice[/user] You must have more sensitive ears than me, or have a much lower preferred listening level. I listen at about 78dB and the iDSD BL needs to be in Normal mode to drive my HD600 adequately. The Beyerdynamic T1s are more demanding than the HD600, so I have to wonder if you are actually driving them fully. I'd turn the BL to at least Normal (I wasn't a fan of Turbo as noise shot up)--but if your listening level is really low you might get channel imbalance--and see what the headphones sound like.
    glassmonkey, Jan 1, 2017
  5. jsplice
    [user=356530]@glassmonkey[/user] I haven't measured the db level after I've set my listening level, so I can't say where I'm at there.  I've also never used the iDSD with the HD600 so can't make that comparison.  Yea, I've got the channel imbalance thing before when having the volume set low in normal mode.  That's the main reason I've kept it in eco.  Also, the Elear are so efficient that there's no way in hell I can use normal mode with them.  Even on eco mode with the Elear, I can't really get the volume past 10 o clock.  I will probably end up keeping my Dragonfly Red instead of the iDSD if I stick with my Elear and get rid of the T1.2.  If you have super efficient headphones, the amp in the iDSD is just overkill IMO.
    jsplice, Jan 1, 2017