nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. Hawaiibadboy
    [i]I constantly found myself taking breaks during the review – simply because [b]there is too much thump there.[/b][/i]   Yeah, you got me interested :)
    Hawaiibadboy, Oct 8, 2016
  2. Hisoundfi
    Good review Paul, lots of information. I am currently working on my Series 5 review and agree that the tuning on the three are very similar. I was also curious and reached out to Penon and TFZ to see what the difference was between the three (especially the series 3 and 5). The response I got was that all of the earphones use a titanium diaphragm driver, but the Series 5 uses a thinner and more responsive diaphragm. When doing critical listening, I heard an almost identical tuning, but with better detail, definition and separation in the series 5. And yes [user=389304]@Hawaiibadboy[/user] you are probably going to really dig these. They are basshead audiophile all the way.
    Hisoundfi, Oct 8, 2016
  3. Brooko
    Thanks lads. Vince - try using a splitter and trying one earpiece from 3 and one from 5 at the same time and see if that better "definition / detail / separation" still exists. I'm not hearing it.
    Brooko, Oct 8, 2016
  4. ustinj
    Hey guys, [user=391779]@Hisoundfi[/user] [user=170914]@Brooko[/user] , have you considered trying the "harakiri mod"? It decreases the bass by roughly ~2-3 dB. Many others who've tried it found that the mod made them a lot better overall, if you're willing to permanently change the sig of the TFZ 5.
    ustinj, Oct 8, 2016
  5. Brooko
    I read about it - but a permanent change to a review sample (when I have to probably refer to the original sound for comparisons in the future) is not a great idea. For now I think that EQ is a much better option in my situation
    Brooko, Oct 8, 2016
  6. ajaxender
    I like my 1s, thumping bass and all. But this does confirm my suspicions that the higher series are not doing a heck of a lot more. Interested to see how their 7 series turns out, though.
    ajaxender, Oct 8, 2016
  7. all999
    Thanks Paul. These are exactly my toughts of Series 5. Great review.
    all999, Oct 9, 2016
  8. fonkepala
    They have now come out with a series 5S, as seen on Massdrop. I'm curious to find out what has changed between the original 5 and the 5S. I had an opportunity to audition the 5 some time ago using a variety of sources. To me they sounded great, not too much bass to my ears as oft reported by other. Separation and soundstage was very spacious, I really enjoyed listening to Hotel California live with the 5. Although to me the highs sounded quite sibilant and harsh on some tracks. If you have a chance to review the 5S, please do so [user=170914]@Brooko[/user]
    fonkepala, Oct 10, 2016
  9. Brooko
    I'd be interested to see if they've actually changed the sound sig / frequency change.
    Brooko, Oct 10, 2016
  10. ustinj
    Yes, they have. It's an audible difference. They toned down the bass about 2 dB and made the treble a little sharper. Not a big fan because the treble became a bit harsh, though the bass decrease is appreciated. It seems their second revision of the TFZ 5 was just taking in the feedback from the first version (harakiri mod and filter removal). I think it would've been fantastic if they did the bass decrease without removing the filter.
    ustinj, Oct 10, 2016
  11. fonkepala
    @ustinj, ultimately..are they worth the asking price?
    fonkepala, Oct 12, 2016
  12. ustinj
    Sure, if you listen to a lot of edm/hip hop, they will be hard to beat at the price... But if youre more versatile with the genres you can do better.
    ustinj, Oct 12, 2016
  13. aBc.CaN
    Hi Brooko, great detailed review.   Would you say these are some of the hardest hitting earphones in the bass department compared to other earphones you've heard if it was EQ'd with a bass boost?
    aBc.CaN, Oct 22, 2016
  14. Brooko
    I'm probably the wrong one to ask - as I don't particularly like too much bass.  I'll be shipping these to HBB hopefully next week so he can evaluate them.  He's the expert in this field and will probably be able to give you a better answer.
    Brooko, Oct 22, 2016