nflj_showcase_replies_on_review_by_x

1. jinxy245
    A great review, thanks! This is also a terrific resource, too...I haven't had a chance to hear the other DACs...I do love my Dragonfly. I'm glad to hear it punches above it's price point.
    jinxy245, Apr 8, 2016
  2. LazyListener
    Thanks!  I had trouble finding comparative reviews on this site of the dac/amps I was interested in.  So I figured I'd try them myself and leave a review that may help others.  I think we need more comparative reviews on head-fi.
    LazyListener, Apr 8, 2016
  3. FastAndClean
    Thank you for your excellent review, that small thing can drive my 250ohm  DT 150 with authority, i love my dragonfly.
    FastAndClean, Apr 8, 2016
  4. LazyListener
    Really?!  I never expected it to drive high impedance cans.  But that's good to know.  I've been considering HD 600/650.  I wonder if the dragonfly would do them justice.
    LazyListener, Apr 8, 2016
  5. Bansaku
    Great review! I am not really looking for a new DAC with an iDAC on the way, but I really appreciate the comparison between similar style and priced USB DAC. If I didn't find it informative, it still was a good read. :)
    Bansaku, Apr 8, 2016
  6. LazyListener
    [user=390650]@Bansaku[/user]  Thanks!  I just noticed the individual ratings for sound quality, value, etc. look like nothing I selected in my review.  I went to edit my review and it shows the correct values I put in during my original review.  Yet, the final posting looks different.  So I just left it as-is.
    LazyListener, Apr 9, 2016
  7. Signal2Noise
    I have the AudioEngine D3 which is a very fine miniDAC.. I'm still considering getting the Dragon Fly. Other reviews I've read gives the edge to the D3. So now curiosity may get the best of me!
    Signal2Noise, Apr 11, 2016
  8. LazyListener
    Well, the D3 and the DF are 2 very different sounding devices, as I noted in my review.  It all comes down to personal preference as to which one you'll prefer.  I'd say for faster, bass-driven music, like EDM, hip-hop, pop, metal, the D3 is the more fun sounding device due to the juicy bass.  The DF is better for slower music played with real instruments, like rock, classical, jazz, classic rock.  The DF has better detail, clarity, resolution, soundstage, dynamics, and imaging.  Really, the only drawback the DF has over the D3, is the lower amount of bass impact and drive.
    LazyListener, Apr 11, 2016
  9. Lorddarphyve
    I have one point to make.  The Dragonfly 1.2 works with android devices.  I've been using it with a Nexus 6P and CustomArt Ei.3 IEMs for a couple months now.  The only issues I've had with this set up is the max power output can be a little low for larger headphones and it has a tendency to drain the phone battery over the course of an 8 hour work day.
    Lorddarphyve, Apr 13, 2016
  10. LazyListener
    That's good to know.  I didn't test it with smartphones because that's not my intended use for it.  Plus I heard it's too power hungry to run off iphones and most other phones.  The new Dragonfly Black and Red models coming out soon are supposed to work off most any smartphone power, and drain considerably less.
    LazyListener, Apr 13, 2016
  11. Mr Makarov
    Nice review! I agree with almost everything you said about DF 1.2, love the detailed sound, I also think that a little more bass impact would be nice. But I just cant consider the overall SQ to be better than Meridian Explorer´s. Yes, DF is a little bit more clear/transparent but to me ME is more refined, has better dynamics, better bass and mids are noticeably better (more forward compared to DF, and that is what I noticed first..and I like it more than DF´s mids). I don´t know if I have one of those versions of ME with high output impedance but it definitely is mid-centric, sound is more rich and alive, more layered, with smooth treble. Friends who had listened to both (at my place) also prefer Explorer´s SQ and often describe DF as "clean/clear sounding but dry and not as engaging as ME". Honestly I was a little bit disappointed by DF 1.2 because I first got Meridian Explorer for $138 and liked it a lot, then I had a lot of curiosity about DF 1.2 and paid $180 for it...and my first reaction was "this is definitely a step down from ME". Then I liked the neutral tonality but still prefer Meridian Explorer for long sessions. Just my personal opinion.
    Mr Makarov, Apr 13, 2016
  12. LazyListener
    [user=359539]@Mr Makarov[/user]  Thanks for sharing your opinion.  It's certainly no less valid than my own.  I did like the way the ME sounded.  I just thought the DF stood out more in most areas.  First and foremost being detail and transparency that really stood out on the DF.  On the DF, sounds, especially background sounds, were more apparent and easily discernible.  On the ME, some sounds tended to get lost a bit in the background.  Also, I heard a more spacious soundstage on the DF with better imaging and localization of sound than on the ME.  On the DF, it was easier for me to pick out the location of specific sounds, whereas the on the ME, the soundstage was more diffuse.  Also on certain percussions, I felt the resonant vibration more on the DF, than on the ME.  The ME is a very good sounding DAC, especially if you prefer a slightly smoother presentation.  I just preferred the detail, transparency, and sense of space, primarily, on the DF.  Both very good DACs.  Just comes down to personal tastes.
    LazyListener, Apr 14, 2016